Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2
Author Topic: MMD .pmd/.pmx importing full guide  (Read 18843 times)
Kyouma
Heroic Kitten

• Awards Star Hacker Renowned Hacker Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « on: September 19, 2014, 11:07:54 PM »

This tutorial was made to help those who keeps wondering how do I import all the anime characters
    And maybe that way my anime brawl hacks monopoly will be over D:

What you need:
    -3DS MAX (Personally, I use 2011 version)
    -This pmd editor
    -The .pmd importer script for 3ds max
    -The detach ID script
    -A character's boneset or A character's .max scene
    -A default character's .pcs or .pac
    -An MMD model good source 1 good source 2( but be careful in source 2, it's a japanese site and most of the models has passwords you have to research by yourself, theire mostly in the nico douga video of the model's release)
    -Time
    -Patience
    -The previously said thing

Here we go!

Part 1: Getting the model ready to be rigged

Part 1.1: T posing with pmd editor

The model I used on this tutorial had no bones, so this couldn't be explained with the same model, anyway its the same for any model.
    First click in the T icon in the model's window

This will open other two windows, one with the model again and a smaller one with many japanese words.
    Just select a shoulder bone and while is selected, click on the Z button of the other window, then move the cursor upside to rodate it up, be careful and smooth to rodate it in a position that its the T pose do it with both arms

Save the model to another file, this pmd editor will save it as .pmx even if your model used to be .pmd, but it doesnt matter, I'll tell you how to turn it back to .pmd
    To save this, click on the part that ends with (F) and click on the option that ends with (S)
    Something like this

Part 1.2: Getting expresions (optional)

In the same window where you T posed,

Mess with the list of transformations and move that thing to activate each one, think about what expresion do you want, in this case Ill make a surprise face

then save the .pmx
    Now close everything and open the pmd editor again, now opening the expresion .pmx you just saved.
    We go back to the first two windows, in the model window, click in that circled button and it should open you a small window like its shown:

And then click in the last check so the object list will be displayed; go checking/unchecking the objects and select the vertices what is what
    go this way until you select all the objects except the face (the face incluides head model, eyes, iris, eyebrows, tonge, lips, and that stuff
    once you did it, right click over it and select the option that ends with (P)

this will delete the objects, now that we have that expresion head, save it

do this for all the expresions you want; I recomend you to save a neutral face model and then use the expresions on it to save time deleting the objects again and again

Part 1.3: Converting the .pmx into .pmd
    In my case, I'll be using an unrigged .pmx model; and since the pmd script for 3ds max only works for .pmd files, this means we must convert the .pmx into a .pmd model. For this, open the pmd editor and open the .pmx model there

Now click on that thing that ends with the (x) in the man menu

And save the model as anything you want, justremember to type .pmd at the end, if you dont do that, it will be exported as .x

Part 1.4: Getting the .pmd in 3ds max

uncheck all the option boxes, we only want the model mesh, click on import and select your .pmd

this will display the model like this

now run the detach ID script

Name the model mesh to something, the MMD models usually has a weird character name, this can cause somehing with the script, so name it to something that makes sense, then select the model mesh and in the script window click in detach

The model will end looking like this

Part 1.5: Merging with an existing scene to use the skin wrap (Optional but you still have to see this to know how to merge your mesh with the character you want to import it over)
    Thats my secret to rig skirts, I use the skin wrap over the model with the default character Im using; since I'll import Akiho Senomiya over Peach, Ill use Peach's .max file

delete the polygons you dont need, I have a reason to keep the skirt polygon (which will be said in the rig tutorial)
    you can delete them all pressing the key h
    then it will open you a window with everything in the scene, just select the polygons and then delete them
    once you have the clean boneset, with the objects you need,
    --------merge part, must read------------
    click on the main button, now put your mouse over import without clicking on it, this will let you see the extra import optons, once there, click on merge and select the scene you previously saved

then select all the parts of the model except the one which ends with 001 because thats a nulled object and it can cause crash in the game since its not rigged

the model will show up like this, its not flat white now, and thats the idea because the pmd scrip nulls the shaders of the scene; now right click and select "move", then go to the coordinates section and change the x value from 0 to 20 so the model will not be over the boneset

Part 1.6: Setting the materials (textures) in the model
    now open the material editor, its that icon with something like a world it will open the material editor window, if it doesnt show these balls, you should change the view to the compact form

now go to your model's folder and make sure he textures are game-friendly sized (256x256 each one, or maybe smaller like 128x128 or something related to those numbers512x512 is normal for regular models, but not for MMD models because that will increase the filesize alot and cause crash)
    once the textures are ready, select and drag any of them to one of the material editor's balls

make sure you repeat the process with every material
    you can rename it to the texture's names so you wont get confused later in brawlbox but its not necessar
    once the textures "are in the balls", you gotta drag them over the objects they belongs to

make sure you have added the correct textures to the objects, you will see the model has objects you wont use suck like tonges, teeh, expresion faces and stuff, you can delete them and keep the objects you will use, thats necessary because it will help to decrease the filesize
    If youre using expresions you previously saved, repeat this whole process (its long, thats why not many people puts expresions to MMD imports

Part 1.7: Reducing vertices count

now we have to optimize the model; for this you must select and object; the the detach ID script converts every object into "editable poly", which is necesary,; you must click on the right bar where it says something about modify, then scroll down to where you see whats in the picture and click over the small icon with the red dots

his is the vertex selector, select all the vertices of the object (it defaultly has them selected already, but if it doesnt, just select them by yourself in the viewport)
    then scroll to where you see some mofier squares, between them you will see the wield square, click on the check small square on it (no on the button itself, in the small square)
    this will wield the model, by default it marks it at 0,1 which will terribly deform the object like in the upper right imagen, you must change it to 0.01, pres enter, and then click on the check thing

now right click on the model, click on "convert to", then to "editable mesh"
    once its an editable mesh; go to the modifier list, select pro optimizer, check the square "keep textures" then click on calculate; after that, change the number percentage to the lowest you can but yet keeping the model looking god
    once you got the lowest percentage you could get (I recomend to start from 70%), right click and convert to editable mesh again
    repeat this process with every object

You must have pro optimized all your polygons for this part; you must be sure that the model doesnt have over 10 000 vertices because that would cause crash in the game
    to see how many vertices do you have go to Views > Viewport Configuration... > Statistics > check the boxes: Vertex count and Show statistics in Active view > click ok

You surely have lots of polygons, to make the rigging easier and quicker; you should attach the objects which has the same material, for this:
    right click over the object; then go to attach, and then click the object which has the same material, if it coincides in the materials, it will just attach them, but if it doesnt, it will show a window asking you if youre sure to do it

Part 1.8: Fitting the character in the boneset
    Remember when we moved the whole model to an "x" possition of 20? Now move it to 0 and here comes the part which for me is the longest part of importing: T posing and preparing the model for rigging...
    First, go to modify and spread "selection" now click over the dots iconto edit vertices once again, but this time make sure the object is on "editable mesh", this way you will be able to select vertices as you want and modify them as you want
    select the whole model's objects and scale/move them to fit the boneset as good as you can

ow that the model is T posed, it may get wrong possitions, fix that selecting the whole model and translating it to fit the model
    now make the shoulders fit the boneset and vice versa, people normally modifies the model's chest and expandes it to make it fit the bone's posigion, in my case I rather move teh shoulderJ bones (LshoulderJ and RshoulderJ)
    but if you move those bones, make sure they has exactly the same new coordinates

To make sure the rigging will go flawlessly, make sure this patron is donein the part where two bones are connected theres a small ball, thats the articulation point
    make sure there is one line of vertices on each side separated by one, thats what I call "the oposite sides and the neutral side", the neutral side is the vertices line which crosses through the articulation point, it doesnt need to have the full ring of vertices, just a bit, make sure this patron is repeated on every of them

as you see, even the arm bones must go with "the patron"
    since I moved the shoulderJ bones, the hand bones are closer, but not close enough, in this case I have no choice but modifying the model's hand, in this case I will resize it and translate it to match the bones of the hand

its a rule, the model's hand must be bigger than the boneset's hand, translate vertices, rodate bones (dont move them) as much as you must to make them fit as much as you can!

this is something important too, the neck; most imports looks weird when they turns they sight because the neck bone is missplace like this, I dont recomend to do it and deal with the deformity, but since i always edit bones, I will move the neckN bone to be in the middle of the model's neck

Part 1.9: Manually T posing (Optional)
    Since this model had no MMD bones I could rodate on the pmd editor, Ill have to do it manually; if you could T pose your model on the pmd editor, you wont need these steps, but if you couldnt, then follow them
    we start by selecting the whole arm/hand, and just a part of the shoulder, you have to dont select the part of the shoulder which isnt bended

then we rodate it to make the last part we selected look like it hasnt bended, then we translate it to match the rest of the shoulder its barely over after the first rodation, we have to repeat thsi but now excepting the part we just move it

But before that, fix up as many vertices as you can to fix the shoulders

now rodate the other part of the selection to match it, try to search a refference object to make sure its correctly T posed; on this case I will use the sleeve, you must use your visual senses to make imaginary lines in the sleeve and in the rodation tool, then make sure theyre paralel

once youre sure its ok, move it to match the shoulder
    repeat this as many times as its needed to make the arm seem like it has no bending at all, incluiding the hand

I recomend to do the same process in the other side, but if you want to save time, you can select all the vertices of the hand/arm/shoulder/half of the bust, and right click, then detach but before detach, check the box that says "detach as a clone", then select the cloned object and go to skin modifier, then select mirror, once its mirrored, right click, convert to editable mesh
    now go back to the original mesh, and delete the vertices of the hand-arm-shoulder-half bust of the oposite side you detached from, if you do it right, it will show no holes on the model because you have cloned the other side to match it, if thats so, right click and attach
    if it shows holes, select again but now less vertices
    to make sure there arent repeated vertices, right click < convert to editable poly < select all vertices < wield < 0.01 again and convert to editable mesh

Part 2: Rigging
    Part 2.1: Auto rigging skirts (also works for capes)
    Remember that I left Peach's default skirt? this is the reason why; take note of this if you plan on importing a character over Peach or over Zelda; since rigging their skirt is a massacre, this can help your life
    first fo to skin modifier, next select skin wrap, now scroll down to a button that says "add", click it and then select the skirt model from the viewport (this wont open a window, you have to select it right infront of your sights)

it may take a little bit to be finished, but once you can move, scroll down to where you see "convert to sking" and once theres a skin modifier, right click over the skin wrap and deete it, we dont need it, what we need is the skin

Part 2.2: Skinning the model
    now that we "stole" the rig from the default skirt, we dont need it anymore and we can delete it
    then select all the rest of the objects of the model (press ctrl to multiple select) then go to the skin modifier and select skin
    once youre at skin, scroll down to a button that says add; then select all the bones from the scene in the window this will show

once you did it, click on "edit envelopes" and check the box that says "vertices", now you can scroll down on the skin thing until you find the weight table icon, its like a tool thing, click it and it should pop up its respective window

zoom out enough to select all the vertices of the model and wight them to 1 over the HeadN bone (find it scrolling on the bones list, you can use any other but I like to start with HeadN)
    you weight them to 1 in the weight table window, its the 1 on the right side (the left side is .1)

this is what happens

Part 2.3: Generic bonethree structure
    this is a doodle version of the bones we gonna use on its skeletical order, it may differ depending on which character are you using, but its like this on almost all the humanoid characters

Well, now compare

Part 2.4: My rigging method introduction: "Bones A and B"
    Now Ill teach you how do I rig; I go for the system of "The Bones A and B"
    we will place ourselves between two bones, we see every two bones are separated by a ball, which is what causes the bending

This is how the rig should look like
    Remember when we selected all the vertices and weighted them all to 1? well, thats the influence value
    what does this mean?
    The influence of the bone when its rodated or moved in the model will depend of these values
    you sure can see what I am trying to represent with this doodle, a simple view of two bones and its vertices colored by the influences over bone B
    these are the values:
    Red - 1
    Light Red - 0.9
    Dark Orange - 0.75
    Light Orange - 0.5
    Dark Yellow - 0.25
    Dark Blue - 0.1
    Light Blue - 0.05

Now select RArmJ and start to weightso it looks like this
    I think I dont have to remind you to set on 1 everthing in the hand and fingers too
    in this part, RArmJ is Bone A and RShoulderJ is bone B
    looks pretty similar, doesnt it? this is how the A-B System works

RShoulderJ is the Bone B and it does look like this, compare it with the doodle pics I previously showed you

you can rodate the bone to see how did the rig go, for this for example, I selected RShoulderJ and rodated it, after that pressed ctrl z so the bone went back to its original rodation after that

Part 2.5: Finishing the rig
    Just keep rigging using the method I explained in the previous part of the tutorial
    this is how HipN should look llike, on this case, HipN is like a big Bone B and the Leg bones are like two Bones A separated by the vag

This is LLegJ, which is one of the two Bone As

keep using the method for the knees, on this case, RLegJ is bone B and RKneeJ is Bone A
    I recomend you to use the frontal viewport to select the ring of vertices that it uses and then set to 0 the influences that arent needed there using the Side viewport

Part 2.6: Exporting the .dae from 3ds max
    now go to the srtarter button, and click on export
    select the Autodest COLLADA .DAE option
    3ds max doesnt have this option integrated, you must install the plugin
    find the plugin on this page
    http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=10775920
    download and install the one of yor version
    note: if you dont have the plugin installed, save the scene file and close 3ds max, then install it and do this

then save the model .dae; this will pop up some windos, just click ok on them

Part 3: Brawlbox work
    Part 3.1:importing the textures
    you should have the default files of the character youre making the import over
    on my case I have a default FitPeach00.pcs and FitPeachMotionEtc.pac
    you can get all the default character files here
    http://opensa.dantarion.com/disc/fighter/

now open the .pcs with brawlbox v.067b (newer versions sometimes corrupts the textures, thats why I use this one for importing textures)
    http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=27797
    and import the textures

set them to CMPR so the filesize will be reduced, and remember they shouldnt be bigger than 256x256, but if you can make them smaller, the better
    import all the textures and save the .pcs somewhere

Now get brawlbox v.068c (there are newer versions now, but I like this one for importing)
    http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=32211
    and open the .pcs you just saved, then go to the first model data folder and right click over the mdl0 thing (that gray thing) and click on replace, now go to 3ds max folder > export >your imported character.dae
    and check these boxes once you selected it

there it is, our pretty girl! she sure looks more cute here than in 3ds max ewe

Part 3.2:Testing the rig
    time to test the rig, for this right click again, but now click on preview
    zoom out the model, and spread the upper and lateral windows of brawlbox moderl viewer to see what you see on this image, click over bones, so they will not show and you will be able to see the model alone, now go to the left window and click on load, then select the fighter's motion file

now select any animation (I recomend the wait animation) and see how did the rig go
    well,, [censored].. I sensed the skirt was too short to be rigged normally, plus I think I forgot to rig the hands, but dont worry, we are gonna fix that and see the last steps to see our import in brawl

Part 3.3:Fixing the rig
    As you remember, the import's rig was wrong, the skirt was wrong rigged because its too short for peach's skirt bones, in this case, I will rig them over the legs, take note of the other of the weight since you can aply it over any other character who has no skirt bones but you rmodel dos
    its more like rigging the legs again

another thing we have to see is the filesize of the previous attempt to the import
    (that one with the wrong rigged skirt, save it as .pcs so we can see the filesize)
    every character has a filesize limit of 200kb bigger than the original one, except peach, for some reason, peach's .pcs filesize limit is 640kb, in this case, the filesize is too [censored]ing big so I will have to reduce the texture's dimensions

once you have corrected the rig, you have to export the .dae from 3ds max again and open brawlbox 68 again and re import the .dae and test the rig witht he motion file again, this time it looks better; the neck and the shoulders just looks weird because of the bones I moved before rigging

I have pro optimized its hair polygon once again and reduced the texture's dimensions so the filesize now is smaller so now we open the .pcs with brawlbox 67 to edit the materials and in my case, the bones

Part 3.4:Material work
    lets edit the materials; remember when I told you that the balls in the material editor in 3ds max could be named the same as the textures? well if you did it that way, the material's name in brawlbox will be the same as the textures so you will se them easier
    in this case, I will put rim lighting to the bag and the hair textures
    this is something important for peach models: the first material must have the first shader, in this case, the first material in the list is the bag texture, so the first shader must be the rim shader because ill add rim material to the texture

every kind of material must have a shader, and if the material is repeated, they can have the same shader, there is no need to add more, in this case, since the shader0 will be the rim one, you replace it with the shader of the rim material

now replace the material with the material of the rim shader
    before doing that, I recomend to copy the texture's name and pasting it once the material is replaced so you wont misspell something (and sometimes materials just has weird names lol)

the rim material has 2 texture refference, the first is the texture's name and the secon dis named "Edge" (a texture you must also add to the textures folder in brawlbox)

this is important for rim materials: you must scroll down to where it says has texture matix and change it to yes, it will stay as no if the texture is of a polygon wich is rigged to a single bone, but dont worry, at least try it

once you did it, go back to the material, and scroll up to where it says cull mode, change it to cull none, if you dont do this, the model will be transparent on the inside or the outside

now the next material is something that wont have rim lighting so it needs another shader, right click over the mdl0 and then add new shader ,then change it for the shader of the "normal material", I have added a material that will fix the transparent materials (you must use it if your texture is transparent, if you use brawlbox's defail materials, it will show up black)

once you have fixed the materials, go to the mdl0 and on the right window click on ad auto metal materials, this will give to your model the metal textures when it grabs the metal boxitem; just keep on mind that this will increase your filesize for a bit, if you didnt mess with the bones, youre done and now you can save it

remember to set the LZZZ before you save it as the .pcs, and change it to "None" for saving the .pac
    the .pac must be bigger than the .pcs so dont worry

Part 4: Finished! Testing in the game!
    ITS DONE!!

This tutorial is so long that even getting to this point feels like a success lol, here is the final product:

Ashley and Red
    Lol Kitten

AKA Mougeki Mero (Retired/Doing mods for Personal)

• Awards Heart Container >9000 Dedicated Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 06:03:29 AM »

Ohh, good work I must say. It is the 1st tutorial of pmd importing, and it is well written Smiley I have a quedtion: Does this applies to Maya too? Because I can only rig in Maya

Rosetta-Hime
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Heart Container Dedicated Hacker >9000 Famous Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 07:03:57 AM »

The link is broken for the PMD editor. Sad
    But very nice tutorial!

Kyouma
    Heroic Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 07:49:13 AM »

ah, the link is not broken, I think I just mistyped it, at the link you can notice it ends with 0Editor.rarl <- thats the error
    its this https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/102142953/desd/PMX%20Editor.rar

Post Merge: September 20, 2014, 07:51:53 AM
    Ohh, good work I must say. It is the 1st tutorial of pmd importing, and it is well written Smiley I have a quedtion: Does this applies to Maya too? Because I can only rig in Maya
    theres a MMD tutorial out there but its outdated alot; I dont know about maya so I guess you could try getting the model ready to rig and export it as an fbx or obj to rig it in maya  or something
    « Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 07:51:53 AM by Gamidame_K » Logged

Ashley and Red
    Lol Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 07:35:51 PM »

just a note: I imported succesfully into maya, now let's see if the rig works

Kyouma
    Heroic Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 08:47:52 PM »

was that similar to how I wrote it?

Ashley and Red
    Lol Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 09:53:18 PM »

Yes and no. The steps are similar, except.for:

I don't know how to decrease the.vertice number.in Maya

Instead of.directly importing the pmd into Maya, you should import it in Blender (use any pmd/pmx/mqo importer) and then export as .dae or .fbx. Import normally in Maya, then.

Tools are the same, but some have different names

Kyouma
    Heroic Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 11:11:19 PM »

oh, well try it as I said previously; import it and optimize it on 3ds max and then export it to get it in maya; but its interesting to see its almost the same method indeed

E-scope12
    Extreme Kitten

Turnabout Storm

• Awards Famous Hacker RAGE!! Hyperactive Contributor

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 09:24:43 AM »

Are you going to import any Danganronpa 3D Models?

E-scope

[PICTURE REMOVED. Reason: All signature pics must fit a 695x200 frame.]
    [/url]

mahoujin
    Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 10:43:06 AM »

nice job man, exelent tutorial.

DarkDeity
    Extreme Kitten

I WILL GRIND BENEATH MY HEEL...ALL THAT EXISTS!!!

• Awards Hey! Listen!

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 11:41:31 PM »

awesome guide man i will DEFINATLEY have to put this to use. 

quick question though, you said personally that you use 3ds max 2011 but would the current 3ds max work or no?

[also as a bit of a side post/question..your icon..who is she? i could SWEAR that i may have seen her somewhere before and its literally on the tip of my tounge its driving me nuts that i dont remember ^^"]

Kyouma
    Heroic Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 02:28:54 PM »

I guess it should also work in the newer version; you use scripts that works on any 3ds max version
    and that girl is not stocking from panty and stocking; she has no name and is a character from the video "Me!Me!Me!" by teddyloid

DarkDeity
    Extreme Kitten

• Awards Hey! Listen!

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #12 on: December 06, 2014, 10:26:04 PM »

ah ok

and ah alright. i never heard of either thing you mentioned. probably got her confused with someone else ^^'

HaloFanODST
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Hey! Listen! Good Citizen Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 04:25:11 PM »

All images broken.

Before someone attacks me:
    No, I won't say/accept the term "American" to refer exclusively to people or things from the United States.
    America is a continent and deal with it.
    I'm an American, but not necessarily from the U.S.

Kyouma
    Heroic Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 04:38:29 PM »

phucking chit...
    Ill fix this in some time; replacing all them images will sure be tired

Pages:  [1] 2
    Print
    Jump to: