Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2
Author Topic: General Critique Thread  (Read 10209 times)
KingJigglypuff
Meme Machine
Brawl Vault Staff

• Awards RAGE!! >9000 Hyperactive Contributor Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « on: March 22, 2015, 12:20:01 PM »

After seeing various posts and threads about how there's a lack of proper critique of various users and their mods, I've decided to make a general thread dedicated to it.

Rules:
    -Criticism =/= (does not equal) Hating. Know the difference. If you can't take criticism, then don't post. If you can't provide criticism for a posted mod, then don't post either.
    -One mod minimum per user. Three mods maximum per user.
    -Try to refrain from posting additional mods until your initial mods of your post have been criticized.
    -The mod linked must be of your own content. Do not link other users mods, unless you were a main collaborator.
    -Make sure to link to your mod you want criticized via BrawlVault link.
    -You may reply to users who critiqued your mod(s).
    -If you have a long post, use proper formatting and spoilers.
    -Be civil about your critiques. Keep whatever bias you have against a user and/or their work out of your criticism.
    -Don't take this thread as a chance to bash something or someone.
    -Don't make this thread all about yourself.
    -Do not take this a chance to advertise yourself.
    -Don't be afraid to nitpick. Just don't make your criticism only consist of nitpicking.
    -No matter how bad a posted mod may seem, don't mindlessly bash it. You can say it's bad, but do it in a respectful manner and state why you think the posted mod was bad.
    -Do not mindlessly praise well known mods. No matter how good they are. Do your best to find something to critique.
    -If you like a posted mod that people are calling bad, do not white knight. You can explain why you think they're wrong, but do not derail the conversation.
    -You may submit your work, even if it's a work in progress.

These rules may be edited and/or updated. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't follow these rules.

Edit:
    -Changed the max number of mods per user to 3, instead of 5.
    -Added a rule about waiting to post again until your first posted mods have been criticized.
    -Added a rule allowing WiP projects.

Examples of criticisms. You can use these as a basis for your critiques, but you don't need to use these exact questions.

PSAs:
    -How complete is the PSA?
    -How are the animations (if there are custom animations)?
    -How balanced is the PSA?
    -Do the moveset and animations fit the character?
    -Are there any glitches?
    -How original is the idea?

Recolors:
    -Do the colors fit the character?
    -Does the coloring style fit into Brawl?
    -Is the coloring overdone?
    -How much do the colors clash with each other?
    -Are the colors too bright? Or are they too dark?
    -How original is the idea?

Model Imports:
    -How good is the rig?
    -How complete is the rig?
    -How well does the model fit onto the base character's skeleton?
    -How many attributes of the base character are included in the import? Examples include multiple faces, Final Smash eyes, etc.
    -Does the import have proper metals?
    -How are the textures?
    -How are the shaders?
    -Was the model properly optimized for use in Brawl?
    -Are there any glitches?

Stages:
    -Is the stage fun or competitive?
    -If it's supposed to be fun, how fun is it?
    -If it's supposed to be competitive, how balanced is it?
    -How are the animations (if there are custom animations)?
    -How are the textures?
    -How are the models?
    -How are the shaders?
    -Are there shadows?
    -Are the imported models properly optimized for use in Brawl?
    -How are the stage collisions?
    -How are the blast zones?
    -Are there any glitches?

To start things off, I'll start by posting one of my mods to get this thread going.

Solo Charizard (PSA): http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=206141
    « Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 11:51:22 AM by KingJigglypuff » Logged

I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread

windhunter7
    BrawlVault Gatekeeper
    Angel Kitten

Check out my website for tutorials and more! :)

• Awards Famous Hacker Super Saiyan Topic RAGE!! Hyperactive Contributor

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 01:49:57 PM »

I don't really use custom PSAs, but I'll do my best to answer.

-How complete is the PSA? Dunno, but it looks complete to me.
    -How are the animations (if there are custom animations)? Kind of boring for some of his specials, but his A attacks seem like good animations.
    -How balanced is the PSA? It looks to me like the PSA itself is balanced, but I would say that the Final Smash is underpowered; maybe buff it a bit.
    -Do the moveset and animations fit the character? To an extent. Some moves, like his Final Smash, seem out of place, and not Charizard-like enough, and more like what Mario or Bowser would do with fire.
    -Are there any glitches? I didn't see any.
    -How original is the idea? I'd say quite original.

As for my hack I would like criticized, Vibrant Fire Mario
    I would like someone's opinion on if I should revamp it, and, whether or not I revamp it, should I make a vibrant version for the other Mario palettes, too? Please critique and tell me if you think it's too bright or not bright enough or anything like that.

HaloFanODST
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Hey! Listen! Good Citizen Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 02:14:54 PM »

To start things off, I'll start by posting one of my mods to get this thread going.

Solo Charizard (PSA): http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=206141

-How complete is the PSA? It looks complete right now. I seriously don't know if it is still unfinished, but it seems complete for me.

-How are the animations (if there are custom animations)? All of them are quite good, but some of his Special attacks are weird (Neutral B and Down B from Normal Charizard). Final Smashes are the best ones.

-How balanced is the PSA? It seems to be well balanced to be less powerful than default Charizard (from Pokemon Trainer). The Mega Charizard forms, however, are stronger to compensate this, but both are still well balanced to be a little stronger than Ganondorf. But some characters, like Bowser, can still knock Charizard even if X's super armor is present, which is good.
    His moves are still powerful against the bosses.

-Do the moveset and animations fit the character? The only animations that don't fit Charizard are the Neutral B from Normal Charizard and Mega Charizard X's Final Smash (even if it looks good).
    All others fit him quite good.

-Are there any glitches? Not at all, yet. But I don't think there are more glitches than the ones you said in the ReadMe. I've been using your Charizard for a quite long time.

-How original is the idea? The transformation is more original than the ones already seen in the game (Zelda/Sheik, Samus/ZSS). Because you're using ONE single slot to transform (there's just model and moset changes). There's not much moveset changing except for some animations, some special moves, graphics and, obviously, Final Smashes. But I don't think somebody cares about that, this PSA is still one of the bests.

Before someone attacks me:
    No, I won't say/accept the term "American" to refer exclusively to people or things from the United States.
    America is a continent and deal with it.
    I'm an American, but not necessarily from the U.S.

KingJigglypuff
    Meme Machine
    Brawl Vault Staff

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 08:44:04 PM »

You don't need to use the exact example questions I posted, guys. But thanks for your inputs.

As for my hack I would like criticized, Vibrant Fire Mario
    The hat is supposed to be white, not red. The red is obnoxiously bright, but the white is okay. It's okay to make a color lean towards the primary colors (like Smash 4), but in Brawl, your current color is too bright. It's so bright that is clashes with the other colors. You'll be fine with making the red a bit darker, as the eye tends to see red first.

I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread

windhunter7
    BrawlVault Gatekeeper
    Angel Kitten

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 08:48:19 PM »

You don't need to use the exact example questions I posted, guys. But thanks for your inputs.
    The hat is supposed to be white, not red. The red is obnoxiously bright, but the white is okay. It's okay to make a color lean towards the primary colors (like Smash 4), but in Brawl, your current color is too bright. It's so bright that is clashes with the other colors. You'll be fine with making the red a bit darker, as the eye tends to see red first.

Thanks for the feeback! I'll fix that in version 2!(Version 1 was a request for a bright-colored hat that's red)

Also, do you think I should do other color palettes, too, when I revamp it with your suggestion?

KingJigglypuff
    Meme Machine
    Brawl Vault Staff

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 08:49:50 PM »

If you really want to, you can make the other Mario power up variants (Ice, Rock, Cloud, etc).

I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread

windhunter7
    BrawlVault Gatekeeper
    Angel Kitten

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 08:56:07 PM »

Didn't think of that. Also, I like your thread much better than the other one, KJP. Much calmer to have a thread require comments about how to improve, rather than whether or not the person has skill. You are wise indeed. I don't even know why I bothered with the other thread. But I'm glad this one's here. In fact, I'm even learning how I can improve. Smiley

Post Merge: March 22, 2015, 08:57:38 PM
    I just wish people would listen to me when I say that I'm open to criticism; just that I'm not open to being called "A person with no skill", which doesn't help me to improve...
    *Sigh*
    « Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 08:57:38 PM by windhunter7 » Logged

tsukikomi
    Hyper Kitten

seiteki sa re te i masu

• Awards Dedicated Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 09:08:51 PM »

Didn't think of that. Also, I like your thread much better than the other one, KJP. Much calmer to have a thread require comments about how to improve, rather than whether or not the person has skill. You are wise indeed. I don't even know why I bothered with the other thread. But I'm glad this one's here. In fact, I'm even learning how I can improve. Smiley

Post Merge: March 22, 2015, 08:57:38 PM
    I just wish people would listen to me when I say that I'm open to criticism; just that I'm not open to being called "A person with no skill", which doesn't help me to improve...
    *Sigh*

You just needed to learn not to take everything to heart, tbh.

Idk if brstm packs are allowed but http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=204671

Someone want to me how bad this is against your ears?

Nezha B. Rose
    Guardian of Pokemon Mods
    Special Access

I got a bucket of chicken.

• Awards Smash 3 Team RAGE!! Active Contributor Fiery Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 02:20:21 PM »

OoC: Good joob with this thread KJP.
    So, since I do not know PSA's and color hues much, I'll critique stages and imports I suppose. I may give it a try tho.

Im a bit late, but what has been told to you Windhunter is pretty much what my opinions are for Fire Mario, you need to know that lighter is not always better.

I hate wubs, but these wubs brings promised results. You better mention that your work has proper credits on your upload tho, because when someone says something like credit to everyone... well, a very evil staff mey delete it.
    ---
    I would like for the following stages to get critiqued:

These are my very first fully custom stages, with these I left my comfort zone and leveled up, please, give me your best punches.

tsukikomi
    Hyper Kitten

seiteki sa re te i masu

• Awards Dedicated Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 04:30:39 PM »

I hate wubs, but these wubs brings promised results. You better mention that your work has proper credits on your upload tho, because when someone says something like credit to everyone... well, a very evil staff mey delete it.
    ---

Read the description theres a pastebin link to the complete songlist with the artist names attached to them. Well theres only one dubstep song in my brstm, the 2nd preview being the only one.

LC-DDM
    Not your average sprite!
    Special Access

Voted "Best Guest for Campfires".

• Awards Heart Container Good Citizen KCMM Veteran 128-bit Pro Gamer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 06:26:33 PM »

Idk if brstm packs are allowed but http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=204671

>brstm pack for project M

[censored]in' what.

Alright, whatever... let's see what you've got. Downloading at the moment.

Grammar is necessary. Butchering your language isn't. If you don't have time to correct yourself, I don't have time to read your post.
    Your compilation pack is as useless as your quest for approval, and I pity both.

Climaxing to a jump scare would be pretty great.

Kyouma
    Heroic Kitten

• Awards Star Hacker Renowned Hacker Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 10:03:03 PM »

I actually am interested to hear critiques about this to know what to improve for my 2015 Miku import
    http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=207123

ABloodyCanadian
    Ellipsis Abuser…
    Heroic Kitten

Background processes...

• Awards KCMM Veteran Super Saiyan Topic Hey! Listen! Famous Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 10:52:31 PM »

My only critique to you would be to actually rig your ArmJb Bones. It's there for a reason.

If you think about out the human arm works, There are 2 bones that connect your elbow, to your wrist, and they twist accordingly. Look at your own forearm, and see how it rotates. With your setup, you'll get wrists that end up looking like this.

I wanna be able to rotate my ArmJb Bones along the X Axis to avoid my wrists to look like that.

I do like how your ShoulderN Bones are rigged. That's a step up from the Shinda Model you made for me.

That's all from me...

Kyouma
    Heroic Kitten

• Awards Star Hacker Renowned Hacker Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 11:04:28 PM »

My only critique to you would be to actually rig your ArmJb Bones. It's there for a reason.

If you think about out the human arm works, There are 2 bones that connect your elbow, to your wrist, and they twist accordingly. Look at your own forearm, and see how it rotates. With your setup, you'll get wrists that end up looking like this.

I wanna be able to rotate my ArmJb Bones along the X Axis to avoid my wrists to look like that.

I do like how your ShoulderN Bones are rigged. That's a step up from the Shinda Model you made for me.

That's all from me...

well, I expected a critique for the Miku import specifically, but yeah, you can notice Ive put more ffort on rigging those "secondary bones" with the imports I actually put efforts in (like kars and currently jonathan, which I havent released because I suffer when rigging captain falcon's shoulders)

KingJigglypuff
    Meme Machine
    Brawl Vault Staff

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 07:55:08 AM »

-snip
    Once I get back from the gym, I'll boot up my Wii and give these a critique.

Edit: Alright, I've tried out your stages, Scout. Here are my thoughts.

The stage overall looks good. It's well optimized. The colors look great. But it would be cool if the objects in the background rotated around, rather than just sit there along the moving background. There's also a lack of shadows on the stage. And the characters kinda clash with the stage a bit, as there's no lighting/shading.

This stage is pretty neat as well, but this stage also suffers from a lack of lighting/shading as well. But it does have shadows. And maybe you could optimize the models a bit more if you can. The wheels on the toy train should also be spinning as it moves. This may be a nitpick, but I feel everything should have a bit more detail to it.
    « Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 01:34:36 PM by KingJigglypuff » Logged

I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread

Pages:  [1] 2
    Print
    Jump to: