Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Brawl Vault  (Read 15601 times)
Lexx
Advanced Kitten

• Awards Favorite'd

• View Profile Awards
    « on: April 21, 2010, 06:50:31 AM »

Everyone knows what a huge success Brawl Vault has been in unifying the hacking community. Nearly every download link I've seen lately has linked to Brawl Vault. That's mind boggling, considering how much this community has grown during the past few years.

Now, although Brawl Vault is an amazing and wonderful project, I can't help but wonder.. Is the Brawl Vault download link discouraging? For example, if I posted a download link on Elite Smash Hackers using Brawl Vault, I have a feeling it would get less downloads than if I just posted a download link to Mediafire. Let's face the facts; Brawl Vault isn't very convenient. It's mainly for people searching for random hacks (much like the KC-MM gallery was). I feel that if I post a download link, Mediafire would be the way to go. It's much faster to just click on Mediafire than going to Brawl Vaunt THEN Mediafire.

I think that this is worth discussing.. I just feel like this is an upgraded KC-MM gallery that everyone links their stuff to.

Beyond
    ♥God of Love
    Special Access

...but nothing happened...

• Awards Hey! Listen! Ceiling Cat Active Contributor >9000

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 01:02:25 PM »

The BrawlVault link isn't discouraging at all. Well, at least to me. All it adds is an extra click to my download, but I don't really mind.

Overall, it has done more good then bad. Thanks to it, I found a bunch of old textures and stuff that I once used but I deleted or was just curious as to who created it.

It's more than a glorified gallery. It's something much greater....

Oizen
    Global Moderator

Thanks

• Awards King for a Day 128-bit Core Gamer Ceiling Cat >9000

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 01:20:59 PM »

Whats random about it? If you know what you're looking for finding it is easy. Not very random. If you're just browsing when you're bored then all the hacks are just random.

It can be convenient if you know what you're looking for.

Albafika
    Anti-Christ
    Administrator

• Awards Epic Restorer Super Saiyan Topic Star Hacker PC Core Gamer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 10:54:25 PM »

If you don't post the Brawl Vault Link, then you'll most likely never upload it to BrawlVault, hence, it'll lose its purpose, which is to gather all the hacks around in just one place no one can miss them, so you're point is like saying there should be no Brawl Vault, for reason said above.

Lexx
    Advanced Kitten

• Awards Favorite'd

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 06:52:56 PM »

You guys have me wrong. I don't think it's a bad thing, and I really do love the project. I just wanted to hear other people's opinions on it, because that's something that I would feel might be discouraging to the lazy and moronic general public.

By all means, I don't think Brawl Vault is useless. I enjoy browsing through it and seeing wonderful hacks from well-known users and lesser-known ones. It's exciting and convenient for everything to be in one place.

All I'm suggesting is that if you find a download link for something on a specific site, a Mediafire link might be just a tiny bit more convenient. (Not that I'm going to just for that minor convenience.)

I really do appreciate the opinions, though. They've given me some perspective instead of just my own, so now I can process things more.

Also, Wolfric, I will always upload to Brawl Vault, even if I decide to post a Mediafire link instead. I really do love the project, so it's not something I'd so easily forget about. Oizen, I mean random as in just searching for things to add to your SD card with nothing in particular in mind, but maybe for a certain stage or something similar.

Albafika
    Anti-Christ
    Administrator

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 01:46:14 AM »

You wouldn't be able to browse throught it without people "uploading" their textures on it, and trust me they won't if they don't use the Brawl Vault link on their Download place, in this case, what you said of "Lazy people not wanting to click Brawl Vault link to get to another link" applies as well to the Uploader, since if he's using his respective link, will he take the trouble to actually fill in the File Info over the Brawl Vault? Highly doubtful.
    « Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 01:47:22 AM by Wolfric » Logged

janfeae
    Mega Kitten

• Awards Donator

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 12:53:40 AM »

How would the download count be determined if it were directly linked to mediafire?(noob question)

Wulfbang Meow
    Fang of Scruffiness
    Supreme Kitten

*Terminator Theme Music*

• Awards KCMM Awards 2011 Winner Heart Container KCMM Storyteller Dedicated Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 04:56:51 PM »

@janfeae, it wont.. simple as that. it has to go through brawlvault first.

i have my opinions, which is what i think Lexx wants. i love the concept of brawl vault, its a simple and convienient place to store your hacks! with access to pictures and videos of your hacks directly on the download page, allowing for people to see and view your hack before they download it. the site is moderated so that broken links and errors are identified so your not just clicking to a random blog that posts thier hacks on megaupload or worse... "rapidshare" *...shiver...*

now i do see some side effects to brawl vault, i feel the competitive nature to how brawl vault counts the number of downloads, essentially making some feel more popular than others.. in other words, it might go to thier heads XD

also, for the lazy, you kind of have to go through hoops to make a nice post on brawl vault. good pictures, a good video, compiling a ZIP file of all nessesary files, and finally a good description is all but nessesary to grab peoples attention. I have several hacks i havent gotten around to posting yet for this reason, im also a part of a hacking blog so on top of all that, i have to write a post that will get peoples attention too...

maybe its just me, but i think the extra effort goes a long way. its definately not for the lazy person who just posts a mediafire link without any way of showcasing it. what you see is what you get!

Internetakias
    Newbie Kitten

Always brawling and just beat subspace emisary

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 08:31:01 AM »

noob question i know
    hi i'm new there i'm going to brawl vault, click on a hack but there is no download link how i'm gonna to see it did i have to upload my hack first

Albafika
    Anti-Christ
    Administrator

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 11:44:49 PM »

noob question i know
    hi i'm new there i'm going to brawl vault, click on a hack but there is no download link how i'm gonna to see it did i have to upload my hack first

Click the name of the Hack (Name in Blue) it should take you to the download Link.

Internetakias
    Newbie Kitten

Always brawling and just beat subspace emisary

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 10:06:12 AM »

noob question i know

Click the name of the Hack (Name in Blue) it should take you to the download Link.
    lol i'am a tottaly noob how i didn't see this anyway ty

DMN666
    Dawn/Hikari fanatic!
    Holy Kitten

Meh

• Awards Pin Collector Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Starstormer

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 12:18:45 PM »

I am just going to post DL direct to MF and not to brawl vault if i ever upload something important....again.

ピカノ
    THE catgirl fan
    Special Access

papersak's personal stalker

• Awards Famous Hacker Heart Container Pin Collector Super Saiyan Topic

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 04:39:31 PM »

Thanks, everyone, for the praise about it being more than an upgraded gallery.

But... despite our PR team *cough* Jack *cough* willing to say that at almost every turn, it... really is just an upgraded gallery. My sole reason for creating it was to cut down the work I (and all with gallery access) needed to do. The extra features (searching, sorting, and download count) really were just simple addons made possible by the new setup (PHP & SQL instead of HTML).

In fact, it was not my original intention for people to use Brawl Vault links for promoting their hacks --- that was actually Jack's idea, a way to both promote a users individual hacks but also the Vault itself. That isn't to say I don't support the idea... I'm actually quite happy with how its turned out; we now have 3x as much content as the original gallery.

As for the laziness aspect... I'd prefer it if people did put a direct download link in addition to a Vault one, but, if anyone is interested enough in the hack... they really shouldn't mind the extra click. (Afterall, most download links have at least a 30 second wait anyway...) As I said before, download count was just an added extra --- a rough way to calculate exactly how popular a texture is and a way for me to see how much use the Vault in general gets.

Wulfbang Meow
    Fang of Scruffiness
    Supreme Kitten

*Terminator Theme Music*

• Awards KCMM Awards 2011 Winner Heart Container KCMM Storyteller Dedicated Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 05:53:16 PM »

i think my favorite part about it is that its moderated. no more broken links, no more wasting my time on stuff that links on rapidshare, basically.. no more bulls**t!

pictures and comments have a close second, its so helpful to see what your getting, as well as a description in case a stage comes with  a .rel file or something like that!

really, its a REALLY glorified gallery. MUCH BETTER than the original gallery.

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: