Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Get Featured on the KC:MM Blog (2015)  (Read 14172 times)
Ricky (Br3)
KC:MM Family JesterㅤThe Last One Here
Administrator

• Awards KCMM Storyteller Decade Staff RAGE!! Warm Welcomer

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « on: August 10, 2015, 07:35:59 PM »

Sup everypeeps, it's br3compactor here.

I've been featuring hacks on KC:MM's blog for around a year now, but I feel like I shouldn't be looking just into what catches my eye - even though I'm often checking the Vault, sometimes many great hacks are release close to each other, and end up being postponed as a feature even to the point of being forgotten. I am human, after all.

Some of the hackers here might also be wondering about how to be featured on the KC:MM Blog. I'm here to clear it up to a sense.

That said, I decided to bring back the "Get Featured" thread... with a twist, that is.

You can use this thread to suggest a hack to be featured in KC-MM's blog. If you think an specific hack is absolutely great and has amazing quality, bring it! I'll analyse it, and if it fits the requirements, there's a great chance of it being featured (with a video, even - courtesy of Faraway Brawl Hacks, the person responsible for the video previews for the blog).

HOWEVER, there is only one rule.

You can't suggest your own work.

If the hack you want to suggest is made by you or involves you (collab-wise), you can't post it. You're free to suggest anyone else's works but not your own.

This will allow me to see which hacks OTHER USERS love, and caught their eye. If it caught their eye and they believe it is feature-worthy, then I should give it a check. Maybe it IS feature-worthy.

However, in case you're here because you want to know how to get YOUR WORK featured, here are a few things you need to take into account when making your hacks (I'll be putting it on spoilers because it can be a bit lengthy):

1) Texture Quality

Unless you're making hacks for an specific visual style (like Smash4 style or Smash 3C), try to get your stuff to blend in with Brawl as much as possible. That goes beyond a good resolution, but also added detail and even proper colouring. If the source of your model didn't have a fitting texture to work with, MAKE YOUR OWN, and make it feel at home in Brawl. That way, your work will look way more professional, and is very likely to be featured.

2) Avoid Lag or object issues

Who doesn't love HD looking stuff? However, keep in mind you're making a hack for everyone to enjoy (or so it's expected of you), and thus should avoid stuff that doesn't work well on Wii (as opposed to Dolphin) as many users stick to Wii to playing their Brawl. Same can be said about object issues - sometimes, when the position of objects clash, they get a weird visual glitch which is quite annoying to see, called Z-Fighting. If you don't know what that is and you're focusing on making stages, look it up and avoid it. It ruins the professional look of anything.

3) Improve your Rigging skills

This is meant for characters. Sometimes, it doesn't take much to notice that a rig is lazy. There's always a way to get the character to look the way you want it to, even if you think there isn't. You're probably just a few tools away. So, get to know 3DSMax further, experiment with tools, look up tutorials. The more professional your rig is, the more likely your model will be featured. The rig is, sometimes, just as important as the model itself. Another important tip is: avoid messing with Brawl's boneset. Unless you're going for a size mod, or an unique variation of a character (for example, human-like build for Fox), you should keep the boneset unchanged, and instead of adapting the bones to the character, you should adapt the character to the bones. That way, anyone can use the hack without worries about whether it could work with an specific PSA or general mod( ie. Project M), or whether it might affect gameplay. If you want your hack to be featured, it is because you want as many people to use it as possible. And if that is so, you should keep your stuff as "everyone-friendly" as possible.

4) Be ORIGINAL

And by that I don't mean make an OC and you're cool. Nope... What I actully mean is that, when making stages, you should go to layouts that are interesting to play in, and out of the ordinary. It's the opposite of what was done in Smash4 when they created a flat version of everything. You should build something that, while still nice competitive-wise, has an unique layout. That way, people will have a reason to play YOUR STAGE, and not Battlefield, Final Destination, Smashville. Create stunning backgrounds. Everyone likes a beautiful setting, so it will give you extra points! When making characters, try going for things that nobody thought about before. Outfits are a great choice! How about a Pikachu wearing a fancy combat mask? How about Lucario wearing a summer outfit? How about Mario with a Mullet and brass knuckles? There are many possibilities, and everything you can think about can make your stuff unique and worth to have on the SD card!

In general, or TL;DR version, just try to get as professional as you can! The more it looks like something that could have been on Brawl to begin with, more likely you are to be featured!

ㅤlㅤ

ㅤlㅤ

windhunter7
    BrawlVault Gatekeeper
    Angel Kitten

Check out my website for tutorials and more! :)

• Awards Famous Hacker Super Saiyan Topic RAGE!! Hyperactive Contributor

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 10:32:23 PM »

I have two quick questions, if you would please answer them, though I'm not making you answer them, of course:

Question 1: Where would I go to request featuring my own hacks instead of someone else's? Because honestly, there are too many good hacks to count, so I figured why not do my own, since the others are most likely already featured anyway? I mean, retextures, if they're high enough quality can be something to be featured, can they not?

Question 2: If I feature my own hacks in that other thread, am I allowed to feature ones that I give credit to, if the credit is only because it was a request?(e.g. my Mr. L recolors)

Ricky (Br3)
    Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 10:45:01 PM »

Of course!

Question 1: Where would I go to request featuring my own hacks instead of someone else's? Because honestly, there are too many good hacks to count, so I figured why not do my own, since the others are most likely already featured anyway? I mean, retextures, if they're high enough quality can be something to be featured, can they not?

Nowhere, really. If your stuff has quality, someone will recommend it, so, no need to worry. However, though, by now, I find it unlikely that simple textures will be featured. Simply because it would take A LOT for a texture to be impressive by now, and stand out.

Question 2: If I feature my own hacks in that other thread, am I allowed to feature ones that I give credit to, if the credit is only because it was a request?(e.g. my Mr. L recolors)

I think this is also answered in the first one. To be featured, there is nowhere you can suggest your own stuff.

If you really want to showcase your stuff, I suggest making your own thread, or posting them in the WIP thread while you're working on them.

ㅤlㅤ

ㅤlㅤ

windhunter7
    BrawlVault Gatekeeper
    Angel Kitten

Check out my website for tutorials and more! :)

• Awards Famous Hacker Super Saiyan Topic RAGE!! Hyperactive Contributor

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 10:56:15 PM »

K, thanks for the info! Smiley

Program
    Hyper Kitten

If it were easy, everyone would do it.

• Awards Favorite'd Hot Topic Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 12:40:37 PM »

Firstly I'd like to suggest my original Sonic character texture. Ari the Hedgehog.
    I read the post I'm not dumb...I just like to troll.

Secondly, I'd like to suggest bizzozeron's 64 Remix Link.
    It has really good rigging, the concept is original, all the normals are perfect, and it has nice textures.
    http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=207907

russmarrs2
    Extreme Kitten

Wahaa...

• Awards Diamond in the Rough Starstormer Renowned Hacker Active Contributor

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 03:01:18 PM »

Cool, I would actually like to suggest Program's Inkling Mario (whenever it's finished):

The ink metal texture is really original, and I love the way it looks on him Smiley

Program
    Hyper Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 03:45:25 PM »

Cool, I would actually like to suggest Program's Inkling Mario (whenever it's finished):

The ink metal texture is really original, and I love the way it looks on him Smiley
    That was unexpected! It's a actually a collab between Rosetta-Hime and I. I've sent it to Rosetta to fix his ears, so whenever they're fixed he'll be released. Thank you!

Ricky (Br3)
    Administrator

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 03:49:45 PM »

Well, I guess it should go without saying that you gotta wait until it's finished to suggest. I can't test, and even less feature, an unfinished hack.

ㅤlㅤ

ㅤlㅤ

russmarrs2
    Extreme Kitten

Wahaa...

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 06:06:17 PM »

Well, I guess it should go without saying that you gotta wait until it's finished to suggest. I can't test, and even less feature, an unfinished hack.
    Inkling Mario (whenever it's finished)
    lol, I know. I just brought it up in case you wanted to keep an eye out for it when it does come out.

KingJigglypuff
    Meme Machine
    Brawl Vault Staff

• Awards RAGE!! >9000 Hyperactive Contributor Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 06:17:40 PM »

I would have to say give jaystring's Smash Wii U stuff a feature.

Roy: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=209137

ZSS: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=208776

Ike: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=209344

Lucina: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=209076

Chrom: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=208881

Megaman: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=208676

I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread

Large Leader
    I'm shocked I'm allowed to still have this.
    Angel Kitten

• Awards Diamond in the Rough Active Contributor Renowned Hacker Super Saiyan Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 06:31:07 PM »

I second this. Relatively good rigs and texture editing was nicely done.

Quote from: Miacis
    In other words, LURK MORE.
    Quote from: LC-DDM
    In other news, birds fly, sun shines, fishes swim, and the sky is [censored]ing BLUE.
    Quote from: Miacis
    3. ... You seriously don't know who Clinton is?
    Quote from: Haseyo
    If only hacking Brawl paid bills.
    Quote from: Nanobuds
    O snap
    Quote from: DrPanda
    But you are in a Smash Bros. thread.
    You can't have an opinion here.

Rosetta-Hime
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Heart Container Dedicated Hacker >9000 Famous Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 06:33:46 PM »

Should be released tonight. If not, tomorrow afternoon.

russmarrs2
    Extreme Kitten

Wahaa...

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 06:55:37 PM »

texture editing was nicely done.
    This especially ^
    Should be released tonight. If not, tomorrow afternoon.
    Awesome, it looks great.
    « Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 06:56:28 PM by russmarrs2 » Logged

Ricky (Br3)
    Administrator

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 08:33:26 PM »

lol, I know. I just brought it up in case you wanted to keep an eye out for it when it does come out.

Don't worry, I always keep an eye on the WIP thread Cheesy

ㅤlㅤ

ㅤlㅤ

Program
    Hyper Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 07:20:03 AM »

I also love jaystring's work. His rigging is is probably in the top 5%! However, I do think it should be pointed out that he doesn't optimize his models whatsoever. Most of them are so high poly you can't really use them on an actual Wii, without lag.
    His ZSS (which looks beautiful!) has 33192 facepoints, as apposed to Brawls 17433
    However, his work is undeniably some of the best currently being posted.

Pages:  [1] 2 3 4
    Print
    Jump to: