Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Project M Resources Thread  (Read 19398 times)
Miacis
Ex-admin
Special Access

• Awards Ceiling Cat 128-bit Core Gamer Featured 64-bit Core Gamer

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #45 on: December 05, 2015, 09:18:51 AM »

There need to be a more cool-headed discussion on modding, legal matters, and a modder's responsibility and morality in all this, but considering the amount of unreliable or misleading info circulating around (some of it coming straight from the PMDT), this doesn't seem like the best time or environment to have that sort of discussion right now.

I intend to put up a thread to discuss this whole P:M shutdown situation a bit more in detail, as soon as the forum will be a bit more stable. Hopefully this shouldn't take too long.
    I don't want to completely shut down any discussions here, but it might be better to stick to the topic, which is the leaked files.

And what Hinata meant here was that the linked post's author isn't exactly giving us the most factual report there is. In case it wasn't made obvious by the "lol this is bull[censored], this guy is a [censored], also play my own build I love you all" and other such pleasantries.  Roll Eyes
    « Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 09:26:37 AM by Miacis » Logged

Round and round the signature goes ~
    ~ where it stops, nobody knows.

Sirkura
    Lol Kitten

• Awards Featured Star Hacker Super Saiyan Topic >9000

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2015, 09:55:19 AM »

I wanted to release my build too but between the hundreds of names I'd need to credit and working out consent for releasing developer's exclusive (non BV) content it became too much of a hassle. I'm instead opting to release my own stuff and hoping I can guide people to make a good build.

The P:M story also makes me feel a little uneasy about making model imports but I don't think I'm violating anything.

Actually even a 100% custom model is copywrite infringement, as the current method is to use a brawl character as a base, brawls bones, shaders, shadows etc.  but i was thinking about this. there is another website i go to for snes hacks. they dodge copywrite issues by making patches that install from another program, essentially the patch is a simple x-dif file where it compares the mod to the original game then makes a raw code injection of the differences. its not illegal to distribute your own codes, (gecko codes are legal too in fact) so it circumvents it. but they can still hit you with reverse engineering of the game.

This raises up many other issues however, first being brawl is a lot bigger of a game then a snes cartridge, second not everyone has a brawl ISO to have resources to create a file from a patch, last would be how to even go about injectiong the patch without errors.

Anyway just something i came across i thought might be relevent.

There need to be a more cool-headed discussion on modding, legal matters, and a modder's responsibility and morality in all this, but considering the amount of unreliable or misleading info circulating around (some of it coming straight from the PMDT), this doesn't seem like the best time or environment to have that sort of discussion right now.

I intend to put up a thread to discuss this whole P:M shutdown situation a bit more in detail, as soon as the forum will be a bit more stable. Hopefully this shouldn't take too long.
    I don't want to completely shut down any discussions here, but it might be better to stick to the topic, which is the leaked files.

And what Hinata meant here was that the linked post's author isn't exactly giving us the most factual report there is. In case it wasn't made obvious by the "lol this is bull[censored], this guy is a [censored], also play my own build I love you all" and other such pleasantries.  Roll Eyes

Miacis, as one of the mods, you would probably know if brawl vault got any sort of legal problems recently or in the past, yet the fact you (or any other mod for that matter) hasn't mentioned anything about it means i think we are fine for now. i'm sure the big N knows full well of us. and could have BV shut down at any time. So i'll choose to continue until this site takes a hit. from M22k's post it seemed it was more of fear of legal action then anything else that happened.

I'll be looking forward to the thread to see what comes up.

back on topic, the release of codes is a blessing to many of us i think, DiY can actually be finished reletively quickly now. I saw some people have also figured out how to work PMs clone engine. Does it still have the issue of only supporting a limited # of characters? or was that fixed? i havent really looked at it in ages except to extract it from the GCT.

Ricky (Br3)
    KC:MM Family JesterㅤThe Last One Here
    Administrator

• Awards KCMM Storyteller Decade Staff RAGE!! Warm Welcomer

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2015, 04:08:25 PM »

Sirkura, are you aware that, given the current legal situation of Project M, P:M DIY is a ticking bomb too?

ㅤlㅤ

ㅤlㅤ

Sirkura
    Lol Kitten

• Awards Featured Star Hacker Super Saiyan Topic >9000

« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2015, 09:30:50 PM »

Sirkura, are you aware that, given the current legal situation of Project M, P:M DIY is a ticking bomb too?

I'm aware of the repercussions. Part of why i havent released any patches recently. Doesn't mean i'm going to stop modding any time soon. Also DiY has not added any content to the PM, the files in use are created and owned by phantom wings, NOT nintendo, and i am not distributing PM files but a modded codeset that is copywrite to PM. those are copywrites to the respective parties, nintendo has no hold on them, any more then they have a hold on action replay codes. this also goes back to what i said in my previous post. it is legal to make a custom patch of code that is your own and distribute that, provided it has no copywrited materials. distributing models and in game content is where things get dodgey. as i said before even a 100% costom model is still using copywrited bones, and other pieces of the original character, same with stages, menus and other files.

Honestly anything on this webite is fair game if nintendo wants to sue or take legal action.  or any other smash mod for that matter. and there is nothing we can really do about it. Brawl vault itself is a HUGE gold mine of infringement, that has proper credits and IP adresses if nintendo wanted them.  If they really want to take PM down i don't think they will stop there. I'm deturmined to keep working, i'm still learning a lot from this game, its what got me into the career field i wanted to be in.  I do think i'll wait for things to cool down however.

Ricky (Br3)
    KC:MM Family JesterㅤThe Last One Here
    Administrator

• Awards KCMM Storyteller Decade Staff RAGE!! Warm Welcomer

« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2015, 10:19:51 PM »

Exactly, if you're just interested in making a GCT that replaces Project M 3.6's Clone Engine to use BrawlEX instead, nothing really can stop you, and you could actually distribute that, I believe.

ㅤlㅤ

ㅤlㅤ

BlueBrain
    God Kitten

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Super Saiyan Topic >9000 Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #50 on: December 13, 2015, 08:11:58 AM »

posting cuz stuff.

TrinitroReisen
    Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #51 on: December 17, 2015, 08:07:49 AM »

Okay, so someone made this:
    https://github.com/TheOriginalSINe/Project-M-CC/pull/133
    Where can I download that Announcer fix? Or do I have to redownload PMCC to get that?

libertyernie
    Lol Kitten

Go for the gold

• Awards Star Hacker >9000 King for a Day RAGE!!

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #52 on: December 17, 2015, 10:41:43 AM »

Okay, so someone made this:
    https://github.com/TheOriginalSINe/Project-M-CC/pull/133
    Where can I download that Announcer fix? Or do I have to redownload PMCC to get that?
    Go over to the "Files changed" tab, then click "View" for the file, then "Raw".

TrinitroReisen
    Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #53 on: December 19, 2015, 07:04:11 AM »

Okay, found it, but there is something odd.
    The description says that it added Lyn's announcer, but there is no word about Knuckles'/STAGE CLEAR's announcer.
    Also, when I downloaded it, I have put it into a seperate folder and did not insert it into my SD card yet, and I'm glad that I didn't inserted it yet, because the new SAWND file for the announcer voice weights a lot less than the old one.
    The old one is 206KB, but the new one is a laughable 25KB, so...what's up with that? Was is supossed to be that small? Especially in comparison to the older version?

Pages:  1 2 3 [4]
    Print
    Jump to: