Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Setting up Brawl Mods to use with Dolphin Emulator  (Read 14756 times)
KingJigglypuff
Fairy Supremacist
Brawl Vault Staff

You become the frog.

• Awards Hyperactive Contributor Heart Container Troubleshooter Helping Hand Featured

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « on: January 18, 2016, 05:00:21 PM »

From another thread I wrote this in, I decided to make a separate thread with what I wrote, just so people will have a general go to place to learn how to set up Brawl mods for use with Dolphin.

You need the following, alongside your folders set up.

Virtual SD Card Maker: https://sites.google.com/site/anon4453/tools/easy-dolphin-sdcard-maker
    WinImage: http://www.winimage.com/download.htm
    Gecko OS: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Gecko_OS
    A later version of Dolphin Emulator: https://dolphin-emu.org/download/

You used to need to download a specific IOS with an NUS Downloader, but I don't think you need to do that anymore with later versions of Dolphin.

Edit: It appears that you once again need to have IOS 36 installed in Dolphin for Gecko OS to work. You can do so by using an NUS Downloader.

This was the version I previously used: https://www.smashladder.com/guides/view/264m/dolphin-ladder-build-4-0-7840
    Edit: Please note that this specific version is quite outdated, but is probably still used for more optimal Netplay experiences.

1.) Create a Virtual SD Card using the Virtual SD Card Maker program. You can go as low as 64 MB or as high as 2 GB, though 2 GB is highly recommended (I believe you can use a cmd function to make the file over 2 GB, but this is just for the basics). Make sure the file produced is named sd.raw and place the file under "C:\Users\*Name*\Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Wii". If there's already an sd.raw file in there, delete it before inserting your newly created file.

2.) Open WinImage and open your sd.raw with it. At this point, you should have all of your files, codes, and Gecko OS inside their respective folders as if you were going to use a Wii. You would also place everything into a dummy folder (Just create a new folder and put everything in it). In WinImage, go to Image > Inject a Folder and search for your dummy folder before injecting it. Save and close afterward. You'll also need to place the boot.elf file from Gecko OS into a folder of your choice.

3.) Now in Dolphin, right click on your Brawl entry before clicking on "Set as Default IS0." After that, open up Config, go to Wii, and make sure Insert SD is enabled.

4.) To boot modded Brawl though Dolphin, you can do one of two things. Though before starting the game, make sure you configure Gecko's Hook Type to be AXNextFrame.

4a.) Click Open before searching for your saved boot.elf file.

4b.) Browse for the folder that contains your saved boot.elf like if you're going to add a new IS0. This entry will stay in your Dolphin window for quicker access.

If there's anything else that needs to be added, let me know, and I'll update with misc information/fixes.
    « Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 12:51:36 PM by KingJigglypuff » Logged

I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread

Ebola16
    Importer of Dreams
    Boss Kitten

Brawl R&D

• Awards Famous Hacker Pin Collector Hot Topic Heart Container Good Citizen

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 11:29:49 AM »

FYI, Dolphin originally needed IOS 36 for Gecko OS. Then there was a time it didn't. IOS 36 is now needed again. See https://bugs.dolphin-emu.org/issues/10663 for more information.

Brawlex Advancements (Supplement to the Brawlex thread's original post)
    I use NTSC-U Brawlex, Win 10, latest Dolphin Dev builds, and 3ds Max 2016 (3ds Max Guide). Refresh and see my imports!

KingJigglypuff
    Fairy Supremacist
    Brawl Vault Staff

You become the frog.

• Awards Hyperactive Contributor Heart Container Troubleshooter Helping Hand Featured

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 07:51:49 AM »

I'm using 5.0-6112, and I personally haven't ran into this issue. I read from your post that you have 5.0-2712, so I'd recommend you update your Dolphin.

Though it could be from me dumping my own Wii's NAND or something.

I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread

Ebola16
    Importer of Dreams
    Boss Kitten

Brawl R&D

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 11:15:57 PM »

A Wii NAND dump should include IOS 36 so that will avoid the problem altogether. Users without a NAND dump will need to manually install IOS 36 on Dolphin 5.0-5934 and later. There was also a time before 5.0-5934 when IOS 36 was unneeded but that relied on guesswork that caused a lot of unwanted problems.

I am aware that the netplay community likes to set specific builds for players to use but this information should be stated here in the event of updating their suggested build.

Also, I'm not sure where the 5.0-2712 information came from but I use the latest Dolphin Development version (5.0-6179 at the time of writing this) and update frequently. I updated my forum signature since this isn't the first time I've posted information about Dolphin.
    « Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 11:32:43 PM by Ebola16 » Logged

I use NTSC-U Brawlex, Win 10, latest Dolphin Dev builds, and 3ds Max 2016 (3ds Max Guide). Refresh and see my imports!

KingJigglypuff
    Fairy Supremacist
    Brawl Vault Staff

You become the frog.

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 08:06:04 AM »

The reason I made the assumption you were using Dolphin 5.0-2712 was from the Dolphin bug report page you linked. The username contained the word "ebola", so I guessed it could have been you.

Thanks for the correction though. I'll update the original post with this information.

I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread

Ebola16
    Importer of Dreams
    Boss Kitten

Brawl R&D

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 09:34:29 AM »

It'd probably be best to specify that the need for IOS 36 is for getting Gecko OS to work in your OP: "It appears that you once again need to have IOS 36 installed in Dolphin for Gecko OS to work."

And I'm the same person who made the previously linked report but I update my Dolphin builds frequently.

KingJigglypuff
    Fairy Supremacist
    Brawl Vault Staff

You become the frog.

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 12:51:51 PM »

Consider it done.

I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: