Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Freezing before Character Select Screen... BrawlEX issue?  (Read 4380 times)
Darkrai Lv.1000
Advanced Kitten

The #1 Darkrai Fan :]

View Profile Awards
« on: August 23, 2016, 08:08:30 AM »

Ok, so I've begun the tedious task of adding cosmetics to the BrawlEX clones I already have. Before this, everything was working fine, I just prefer to know who I'm selecting without using Dolphin's logger. I must have followed the tutorials on doing so at least 5 times. But now, after setting up the cosmetic framework and attempting to test it in-game by adding cosmetics for one of my clones, it always ends up freezing right after selecting "Brawl" and before the CSS even shows up.

I feel it has something to do with my sc_selcharacter.pac, but I can't seem to find the issue. The frame count is one higher like it should be, I made sure to change bit 0x10 to the Cosmetic ID, and everything else...

Anybody else have an idea? I can provide any other details you ask of me if it'll help solve the problem quicker.

windhunter7
BrawlVault Gatekeeper
Angel Kitten

Check out my website for tutorials and more! :)

• Awards Famous Hacker Super Saiyan Topic RAGE!! Hyperactive Contributor

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 08:22:47 AM »

What are the dimensions and filesizes of the names, CSS icons, and CSPs?

Darkrai Lv.1000
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 04:12:09 PM »

What are the dimensions and filesizes of the names, CSS icons, and CSPs?

I just checked, the dimensions of the "placeholder" CSPs i added for the clones are 4x4 and are 124 bytes due to being so small. The one i used for testing a specific clone is the standard 128x160. If they all must be 128x160, then I have made a silly and will make them that size and try running it again. The names and icons should be ok, since I made them the same size as the vanilla names and icons, and made them in Paint using them as a base.
    « Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 04:13:38 PM by Darkrai Lv.1000 » Logged

windhunter7
    BrawlVault Gatekeeper
    Angel Kitten

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 04:19:44 PM »

I'm not entirely sure, but it can't hurt to try seeing if the dimensions are the problem. Next thing to check is making sure that the common5.pac itself isn't over filesize of the original. The original is 11.6 MB; I remember some people lowering filesize, but honestly I don't remember how they did it; I know that with characters, you can lower the resolution of the textures(Since they're powers of 2) and you can also re-import them as CMPR, but I dunno if there are non-CMPR textures in the common5, or if any of them are powers of 2 in dimensions(Powers of 2 being 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, etc.)

Lillith
    Heroic Kitten

Resident Lunatic & Fox Fanatic

• Awards Ceiling Cat Star Hacker RAGE!! Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 06:27:34 AM »

Almost sounds like a filesize issue to me. Having a filesize over 3.79MB on the sc_selcharacter.pac will cause issues, you can bypass this somewhat by lowering CSP sizes, 100x125 seems to work relatively well.

I still talk to myself! If anyone wants to use anything I've done, feel free to! But do tell me where you use it, I want to see the finished product!

Darkrai Lv.1000
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 10:19:25 AM »

Ok, I changed the CSPs to be the same dimensions as the others, along with any other 4x4 graphics i added, and it still freezes. If it helps any, it's that "Invalid read" error that freezes Dolphin for me.

Almost sounds like a filesize issue to me. Having a filesize over 3.79MB on the sc_selcharacter.pac will cause issues, you can bypass this somewhat by lowering CSP sizes, 100x125 seems to work relatively well.

Thanks for replying, but my sc_selcharacter.pac is only 1.87 MB, since I'm using Brawl Minus as a base, which uses lower quality graphics.

Maybe my GCT file is conflicting with it? The codeset is unchanged from what Brawl Minus already comes with, however.

Is there anything that can go wrong while adding cosmetics that can cause the Invalid Read error? I've been checking over everything and I'm at my wit's end T_T
    « Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 10:23:04 AM by Darkrai Lv.1000 » Logged

windhunter7
    BrawlVault Gatekeeper
    Angel Kitten

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 12:12:47 PM »

Hmm... I have one last idea before I'm useless to help:

One time, in a specific version of Project M, I was trying to change the CSPs, and the dimensions were right, and the sc_selcharacter was under filesize, but it kept freezing. I found out that that specific version was extremely picky about the filesize of each CSP being approximately identical to the regular filesize; not too little, not too much; to test if this is the case, (Obviously backup your common5, because this is just a test common5) replace ALL of the CSPs in the common5 with a generic Brawl CSP(One of the portraits from the original Brawl game, unedited in any way whatsoever) and see if it still freezes.

Lillith
    Heroic Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 03:18:08 PM »

1.87? Oh my, most definitely doesn't seem like it's a filesize thing, mind if I look into the file? Dunno if I'll find anything, but, eh...
    « Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 03:18:59 PM by Kitsu » Logged

I still talk to myself! If anyone wants to use anything I've done, feel free to! But do tell me where you use it, I want to see the finished product!

Darkrai Lv.1000
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 09:07:31 PM »

Hmm... I have one last idea before I'm useless to help:

One time, in a specific version of Project M, I was trying to change the CSPs, and the dimensions were right, and the sc_selcharacter was under filesize, but it kept freezing. I found out that that specific version was extremely picky about the filesize of each CSP being approximately identical to the regular filesize; not too little, not too much; to test if this is the case, (Obviously backup your common5, because this is just a test common5) replace ALL of the CSPs in the common5 with a generic Brawl CSP(One of the portraits from the original Brawl game, unedited in any way whatsoever) and see if it still freezes.

Whoa, that can actually happen? I'll try it once I have some free time to do this, though Brawl Minus' low-res (and very humorous) CSP art do just fine somehow. :/

1.87? Oh my, most definitely doesn't seem like it's a filesize thing, mind if I look into the file? Dunno if I'll find anything, but, eh...

I'll try to see if i can attach it here. Maybe I somehow did the AnimTexPat part of the cosmetics addition wrong? I'm honestly not sure anymore.
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/jpvvseufoawtqpe/sc_selcharacter.pac

Lillith
    Heroic Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 02:43:57 AM »

Noticed that some of the 'MenSelchrChrNmS' files were CMPR instead of I4, unlikely that this is what causes the crash, but hey!
    ...I'd assume it's due to all of the new 'MenSelchrMark' things, the game can only handle up to 30. 'Least I think it was 30.

Darkrai Lv.1000
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 03:46:51 AM »

Noticed that some of the 'MenSelchrChrNmS' files were CMPR instead of I4, unlikely that this is what causes the crash, but hey!
    ...I'd assume it's due to all of the new 'MenSelchrMark' things, the game can only handle up to 30. 'Least I think it was 30.

So I reduced the number of added marks to 25 (not sure why I'd have needed as many as I originally had anyway Tongue), and changed the format of the other NmS files to I4. However, I still get that accursed Write/Read error crash...

I am using Brawl Minus 3.Q as a base, so maybe there's a code in there that's fighting with it? I just wanna be able to know what character I'm choosing T_T

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: