Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Resizing specific polygons/bones  (Read 1884 times)
Macie
Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
« on: January 14, 2017, 11:37:14 PM »

So I decided I wanted to make a Mario skin that makes his head 3x as big, makes the rest of his body invisible, and translates his head down so the bottom of his chin is approximately where the bottom of his feet are.

I went into Mario's MotionEtc file and edited the HeadN bone to a scale factor of (3,3,3) and changed bones LShoulderN, RShoulderN, LLegJ, and RLegJ to a scale factor of (0,0,0) for the idle animation(wait1, wait2, wait3).

I also went into Mario's individual costume slots and changed the HeadN bone in those files to be translated down. This was the only way I managed to get the translation part to work.

Resizing Mario's body parts results in a graphical glitch as shown below No matter how I change the camera that "part" of Mario always covers that part of the screen like that. It doesn't seem to happen on every stage, but it does on a lot of them. It goes away when Mario's other animations play.

windhunter7
BrawlVault Gatekeeper
Angel Kitten

Check out my website for tutorials and more! :)

• Awards Famous Hacker Super Saiyan Topic RAGE!! Hyperactive Contributor

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 09:20:23 AM »

I don't know much about movesets, but I know a decent amount about models, so you could make this a one-slot without it doing that, and here's what you do:

01) Download Blender 2.78a and Autodesk's FBX Converter 2013.3, as well as both BrawlBox 0.71 and BrawlBox 0.77
    02) In BrawlBox(0.71), export the model of the character as a .dae
    03) Convert the .dae to a .fbx with FBX Converter
    04) Import that .fbx into Blender
    05) Delete all the polygons that aren't associated with the head(right-click is select, and what's selected will have an orange border color)
    06) For each of the remaining polygons that have associations with non-head parts, select that polygon, go into Edit Mode, and delete the mentioned vertices(Pressing B and then click-dragging will produce a square select so that you can select stuff within that square; also, pressing Ctrl+L will select all vertices linked to the selected vertices, so make sure to do that, as well)
    07) Select all the polygons, right-click-hold to start translating them, press Z to translate them on the Z axis, and translate them to the bottom, where the origin is(This, in fact, makes it really easy to tell where the chin should touch)
    08) Export the model as .fbx
    09) Convert the .fbx to .dae with FBX Converter
    10) Replace the MDL0 with the .dae in BrawlBox 0.77(Make sure to have the top 3 settings set to True), then (in BrawlBox 0.77) export that as an .mdl0
    11) In BrawlBox 0.71, use "Import New Objects", and do this with each polygon(Make sure that "Merge Models" is UNchecked)
    12) Expand the MDL0, expand the Objects folder, and go to each polygon that has a texture showing, and delete those ones(But take note of what materials were attached to them)
    13) Go to the other polygons, and, using the dropdown, change the material of each to whatever material was originally associated with it
    14) Expand the Materials folder, and, for each material, scroll to where it says "Objects" and click the white triangle; if there are NO expansions(And expansion would be [A NUMBER] on the left, and on the right will be polygonANOTHER NUMBER), delete that material
    15) Expand the Bones folder, and rename the bones WaistN and BustN(But NOT WaistN) to something other than any bone name that already exists(e.g. Don't name it something like HipN, as there already exists that; instead, name it something like ExtraBone)
    16) Now it should work like you want, unless you're picky about how it animates(Like if you wanted it to have the HeadN animations, this will actually give it the HipN animations instead)

P.S. I forgot to insert the step to resize the head model in Blender; to do this, select everything, press the S key, and then click when it's as big as you'd like(And you can type in a specific value if you want it a specific size bigger); make sure, though, that you translate it back to where the chin is at the floor afterwards, though.

Post Merge: January 15, 2017, 09:23:08 AM
    You could also theoretically skip Step number 15, and that would in fact make it animate with the HeadN's animations, but I figured the HipN might look better, if the head's on the ground. My next bet on which animations would look nice would be if you re-rigged the head to the foot bone, instead.(If you're interested, I can show you how to do that)
    « Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 09:23:08 AM by windhunter7 » Logged

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: