Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2
Author Topic: Is Brawl Vault dead? Sure doesn't feel like it.  (Read 10442 times)
DUMMY
Brawl Vault: No Report

I still have Pokerus.

• Awards Hot Topic RAGE!! Active Contributor

• View Profile Awards
    « on: July 01, 2017, 10:50:27 PM »

I've heard lots of people say this site is "dead" because Sm4sh modding has become quite popular. But it still seems to be as active as ever. Sammi Husky is working on bringing more Exmodules for characters and fixing other ones. Modders have recently created and are working on more fantastic mods.

Calikingz01 recently made a Frieza PSA with good GFX, models, SFX, etc. and is currently working on a Vectorman PSA. KingJigglypuff made a remake of the PM Ridley PSA for vBrawl with the classic design (which I personally prefer) and it looks like he's at work on Decidueye and Team Rocket Meowth. Of course there's always everyone's favorite: Full mod packs, PMex or Legacy XP anyone? vBrawl mod packs? How about Super Smash Sisters, Sonic & Pokemon M Super+, or SSB Infinite?

I genuinely feel like there's still a lot of creativity still to be seen on this site. Great mods are released almost weekly. Sure their are some that you may not like, but you'll find that one texture or PSA that you just absolutely love and couldn't stand to be without in your mod pack.

Frieza PSA: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=214147
    Ridley PSA (Brawlex only): http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=214292
    Legacy XP: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=212860
    PMex pack: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=214038
    Super Smash Sisters Final Conflict V3: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=214168
    Sonic & Pokemon M Super+ (Dolphin only): http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=214194
    SSB Infinite V3.0: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=213356

KingJigglypuff
    Meme Machine
    Brawl Vault Staff

• Awards RAGE!! >9000 Hyperactive Contributor Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 08:44:15 AM »

The Vault may be getting constant uploads, but you have to look at the Forums and the community themselves. When I say that Brawl modding is "dying", I'm not talking about the Vault. KC-MM is barren and virtually lifeless, with the only section being regularly updated is the Off-Topic section (very rarely do you see any other section get updated). The Brawl modding section on SmashBoards is virtually dead (threads are only updated because there's only people asking for help). The "most active" section of Brawl modding would have to be the Project M modding section on SmashBoards, but even then, it's pretty barren.

Very rarely do you actually see something worthy of being called a "quality mod" published on the Vault, but this isn't anyone's fault. This was something the Vault's always faced (and there's nothing you can do about it without undermining what makes BrawlVault so popular: Its ability to let anyone submit anything, regardless of quality).

If I have to be perfectly honest here, all the mods you listed (except Ridley and maybe Legacy XP/TE) are flat out poorly made. Smash Infinite has got to be the worst example you picked. It's basically the "Meme Mod" for Youtubers to play and make fun of. If the "best" mods you can find recently are just these 7 (in which half of them are mod packs), then your argument just falls flat. Not to mention, you've only been here for about 2 years. You weren't really here when Brawl modding was at its peak (or you might have just been lurking, so who knows?).

Alongside this, virtually every "big name" in Brawl modding has either retired, moved onto Sm4sh modding, or just flat out disappeared. There may be some aspiring modders wanting to make a name for themselves, but I haven't seen anyone new really do anything noteworthy or eye-catching.

Don't let this discourage anyone though. You're more than free to try re-igniting the spark that set off Brawl modding several years ago.

The only thing that could really bring traffic back to this site is if/when the major Forum update happens, which could result in the Sm4sh modders from GameBanana possibly migrating to KC-MM, due to the Vault getting Sm4sh support.

(FYI, the Ridley PSA isn't mine. The one who made it was BaganSmashBros. My edits just fix bugs and overhaul the balancing, but even then, there's still more I need to do).
    « Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 08:47:18 AM by KingJigglypuff » Logged

I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread

windhunter7
    BrawlVault Gatekeeper
    Angel Kitten

Check out my website for tutorials and more! :)

• Awards Famous Hacker Super Saiyan Topic RAGE!! Hyperactive Contributor

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 09:17:11 AM »

I beg to differ, as I have been seeing a lot of new topics where people are asking for tips on how to do something, as well as not all requests for helping someone to learn something are on the forums; I've had multiple people PM and/or email me that they want to learn how to do something; now granted, not quite as much activity on the forum as it used to be, but I'm hoping that that, as well as higher quality mods in the Vault, will pick up after I finish some of my tutorials, since it's now possible to mod by using Blender for models Smiley

KingJigglypuff
    Meme Machine
    Brawl Vault Staff

• Awards RAGE!! >9000 Hyperactive Contributor Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 11:04:54 AM »

I've seen a handful of new threads here and there (most of which have been asking for help), but all I'm mostly seeing existing threads being necro'd by people asking for help.

Despite this, I'm not saying there should be waves of new threads by people, as I'm sure that would drown out any new talents looking forward to build themselves up.

I don't think opening another option to import models is going to increase traffic that much. Though at least you're being optimistic about it. Because I'm sure even if you got like 3 people to create content, I'm sure your goals would be accomplished.

Like I previously mentioned, I feel the only possible way to drive traffic here would be for the Forum update to happen in a timely manner (look how lively the GameBanana section for Sm4sh is and compare it to how active KC-MM is). Why not see if you can get Blender DAEs working in Sm4sh after you've gotten them to work in Brawl? As I'm sure more people would use it for Sm4sh than they would for Brawl.

I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread

windhunter7
    BrawlVault Gatekeeper
    Angel Kitten

Check out my website for tutorials and more! :)

• Awards Famous Hacker Super Saiyan Topic RAGE!! Hyperactive Contributor

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 11:48:06 AM »

Ironically, I've actually tutored 3 people, including BlackKyurem, in model editing and importing, and all 3 of them seem to have talent Grin

Another irony is that, after I'm finished with Project Wolf Link, I was actually going to see if I could get Blender working with Sm4sh, lol!

Also, do you know how I could get my tutorial to show up on Google? Because currently, even if I type into Google, "windhunter7 blender", my tutorial does NOT pop up at all. Because I think if this could actually be found via Google, it would get a lot more people seeing that Blender can be used, and then we'd get more traffic, and more people making model imports; I mean, if my tutorial has gotten over 1200 views, it'll probably get a lot more if it can actually be found, and I do want this forum to be more active; so do you know why it's not even appearing on Google? Is it because of the board it's on, or something like that? I figured, if you're a BV Staff, you might know.

Lillith
    Heroic Kitten

Resident Lunatic & Fox Fanatic

• Awards Ceiling Cat Star Hacker RAGE!! Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 02:10:04 PM »

Ironically, I've actually tutored 3 people, including BlackKyurem, in model editing and importing, and all 3 of them seem to have talent Grin

Another irony is that, after I'm finished with Project Wolf Link, I was actually going to see if I could get Blender working with Sm4sh, lol!
    I know this has nothing to do with the thread, and apologies for that, but neither of those are irony.

I think things usually appear on google after enough traffic to it, so it's sort of a spiral there.

I still talk to myself! If anyone wants to use anything I've done, feel free to! But do tell me where you use it, I want to see the finished product!

Segtendo
    Local Marie Fanboy
    Special Access

Cold queen

• Awards Starstormer PC Core Gamer 128-bit Core Gamer Super Saiyan Topic

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 09:59:07 PM »

KJP pretty much nailed everything there is to say.

Like he said, many of the big names have moved on or stop modding. People like Nano, ShadowSnake, JoeTE, DSX8, etc. have moved on to Smash 4 modding, which has been extremely promising.

I think one thing this site needs is a MASSIVE overhaul with the visuals. It's been this same dull gray ever since I started (2009) and probably earlier.

I know the staff wants to add Smash 4 mod compatibility to the Vault, but Vyse is the key coder, and I haven't seen him much lately.

I feel mod statuses should be passed on to people who still have passion to work on Brawl mods. I mean, when was the last time you saw Gamma Ridley moderate the help section?

I've been in the Brawl modding community for almost 8 years, and those were some of the best time I've ever had in a community. Coming together, sharing mods, making movesets... It was great.

However, like I said, everyone else has pretty much moved on.
    « Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 10:00:30 PM by Segtendo » Logged

: SW-2632-7270-6724

Kyouma
    Heroic Kitten

• Awards Star Hacker Renowned Hacker Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 11:41:07 AM »

the only way to save it is with he sm4sh vault imho specially because nude mods are not allowed in gamebanana

DUMMY
    Brawl Vault: No Report

I still have Pokerus.

• Awards Hot Topic RAGE!! Active Contributor

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 02:31:21 PM »

The Vault may be getting constant uploads, but you have to look at the Forums and the community themselves. When I say that Brawl modding is "dying", I'm not talking about the Vault. KC-MM is barren and virtually lifeless, with the only section being regularly updated is the Off-Topic section (very rarely do you see any other section get updated). The Brawl modding section on SmashBoards is virtually dead (threads are only updated because there's only people asking for help). The "most active" section of Brawl modding would have to be the Project M modding section on SmashBoards, but even then, it's pretty barren.

Very rarely do you actually see something worthy of being called a "quality mod" published on the Vault, but this isn't anyone's fault. This was something the Vault's always faced (and there's nothing you can do about it without undermining what makes BrawlVault so popular: Its ability to let anyone submit anything, regardless of quality).

If I have to be perfectly honest here, all the mods you listed (except Ridley and maybe Legacy XP/TE) are flat out poorly made. Smash Infinite has got to be the worst example you picked. It's basically the "Meme Mod" for Youtubers to play and make fun of. If the "best" mods you can find recently are just these 7 (in which half of them are mod packs), then your argument just falls flat. Not to mention, you've only been here for about 2 years. You weren't really here when Brawl modding was at its peak (or you might have just been lurking, so who knows?).

Alongside this, virtually every "big name" in Brawl modding has either retired, moved onto Sm4sh modding, or just flat out disappeared. There may be some aspiring modders wanting to make a name for themselves, but I haven't seen anyone new really do anything noteworthy or eye-catching.

Don't let this discourage anyone though. You're more than free to try re-igniting the spark that set off Brawl modding several years ago.

The only thing that could really bring traffic back to this site is if/when the major Forum update happens, which could result in the Sm4sh modders from GameBanana possibly migrating to KC-MM, due to the Vault getting Sm4sh support.

(FYI, the Ridley PSA isn't mine. The one who made it was BaganSmashBros. My edits just fix bugs and overhaul the balancing, but even then, there's still more I need to do).

Yeah, I knew the Ridely PSA wasn't made by you, but BaganSmashBros. username shows up kinda of weird. :/
    Even still there are still some good content creators on the vault. Calikingz01 and you yourself are good examples of this. Yeah the examples I listed may not have been the best but they do show that BrawlEx can easily be used to add lots of characters without issues. And Frieza shouldn't be lopped in with the mod packs as "mediocre", it's definitely as good as the Ridely PSA.
    I still find Brawl modding more appealing than Sm4sh modding as from what I can tell it's still not quite as advanced.
    « Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 02:34:33 PM by Black Kyurem » Logged

LC-DDM
    Not your average sprite!
    Special Access

Voted "Best Guest for Campfires".

• Awards Heart Container Good Citizen KCMM Veteran 128-bit Pro Gamer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 06:24:58 AM »

I'm not gonna lie -- people are stupid. People say Brawl modding is dead because they're done with it, and assume everyone else is as well. Usually those kinds of people only started their modding 'travels' through Brawl, and have no idea how modding as a whole actually works since its early days on the PC front, but what're you gonna do.

As an addendum to KJP's excellent post, originality is flunking. Everyone wants to make a P:M variant of something, or overall just focus on the one thing, rather than modding as a whole, and the site's continuously-dated look becomes more jarring the longer time passes. And there's not much we can do as users about that on both fronts, because in the former's case everyone wants to be the next big thing rather than making things for their own merits, and in the latter's case, there's only one coder for an entire site.

Grammar is necessary. Butchering your language isn't. If you don't have time to correct yourself, I don't have time to read your post.
    Your compilation pack is as useless as your quest for approval, and I pity both.

Climaxing to a jump scare would be pretty great.

teh-myuutsu
    Banned
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 12:00:59 PM »

To be honest, Smash 4 just feels like a cheaper, less significant version of Brawl. It's sad how unintelligent people are mindlessly flocking to that game just because it's in "HD", and it's "New".

Brawl will always have the most hacking potential; Melee's code is too convoluted, and Smash 4's needlessly dramatic and superfluous design too heavily conflicts with the simplistic, spontaneous gameplay of Melee that any PM Mod attempted for it will look like an awkward mess.

Smash 4's goofy and extravagant design also prevents the development of nostalgia (I'm sure you all still smile when thinking of those old Cloud, Sephiroth, and Shadow hacks) because, unlike Brawl, which simply tries to be a game, Smash 4 constantly tries to impose itself on it's players and be "epic".

One thing is for certain in that once the 5th Installment of the Smash Bros. Franchise launches, the people in the Smash 4 boards won't be having the same conversation that we're having today.

There won't just be talk of death, Smash 4 will surely die.

So, in that, take confidence--in knowing that with but a small amount of perseverance, we, players of a game that was shunned by the world, can outlive even it's replacement.

Now, with that; Continue modding as you were.

spiritpyros
    Extreme Kitten

justice will prevail

• Awards Star Hacker >9000 Favorite'd Ninja

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #11 on: July 30, 2017, 11:56:00 PM »

you know I kinda see your point there 64 is that crazy idea you and your friends had in the backyard of your home you thought would never get anywhere. Melee (and pm) was the evolution of that sport at its highest level , the thing you make careers out of and become famous with your skill. Smash4 is what people think its like when they never played before ( or when they haven't reached the big leagues). and Brawl is that version of the game you play when you and your family are all together for thanksgiving or christmas.

Back on topic
    but yeah I do feel like  originality is something that the modding community is lacking and that to me seems to stem from a almost blind love of Melee/pm and the fact that their only competitors is a overpowered version of Brawl known as Brawl minus( love brawl minus for what it is but for me like VBrawl it eventually got stale and boring after a while) and Brawl Minus Zeus which suffer from a lack of quailty, clumsily combing aspects of project M and minus while adding even more, being virtually unknown ( and this is personally my favorite of all three just cause of what it tries to accomplish). this along with the fact that smash4 is the shiny new thing in the neighborhood capturing everyones attention and I feel the biggest evidence of this is the Smash2 mod while cool feels like every other modpack in recent memory except this time it looks like melee and from what I heard will play like melee ( if I wanted to do that I would just play melee) and I feel like that not the kinda mod we should a striving modding community should aim for and don't get me wrong I commend the Smash2 developers and I actually really like their incarnation of sonic it's just that like I said before it's another melee inspired/project M mod rather then anything original and intresting

teh-myuutsu
    Banned
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 11:56:06 AM »

Originality isn't a problem at this point so much as lifespan. A new, original Smash Mod is in development (will reveal more as release gets closer), however, if the game dies preceding or during launch, it is pointless.

If this mod is released successfully, it will kill Brawl Minus and possibly Smash 2.

davidvkimball
    Advanced Kitten

Former Legacy TE Lead

• Awards Featured Active Contributor Star Hacker >9000

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 12:41:12 PM »

What are the metrics by which you're measuring a Minus and Smash 2 killer? :thinking:

Sylv
    Expert Kitten

• Awards Hot Topic Pin Collector Star Hacker Active Contributor

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 12:50:27 PM »

Originality isn't a problem at this point so much as lifespan. A new, original Smash Mod is in development (will reveal more as release gets closer), however, if the game dies preceding or during launch, it is pointless.

If this mod is released successfully, it will kill Brawl Minus and possibly Smash 2.
    Yes, I'd love to see a random mod made by one person "kill" 2 big mods with a whole team of devs.

Wanna battle me in Pokémon or Sm4sh 3DS?
    Add me then! FC:0989-2835-1270
    PM me your FC after adding me!

Pages:  [1] 2
    Print
    Jump to: