Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Help With Properly Adding Textures to 3D Models in Blender  (Read 12403 times)
Biozilla
Advanced Kitten

The ultimate daikaiju.

View Profile Awards
« on: July 14, 2017, 01:39:25 PM »

So, I'm trying my hand at ripping maps from Pokémon Black 2/White 2 to see if I can mod them to Sm4sh. Right now, I'm working on PokéStar Studios. I have all the textures and models I need, and I've imported them to Blender. However, when added to the models, the textures are not entirely identical to how they are previewed in Spiky's DS Map Editor.

To retrace my steps to see if the problem lies there, I:
  • Open up Blender.
  • Delete the camera, cube, and lamp which are always present whenever you boot up the program.
  • Import the .obj file of the map I want to work with (which is contained in a folder along with the textures corresponding to said map.)
  • Press A to deselect all polygons.
  • In the Viewport Shading bar near the bottom, select "Texture".

The end result is the second picture in the post. I'll now go over the issues.

The textures are not nearly as sharp as they are supposed to be, with many of the sprites' pixels blurring into each other. There are also some strange thin lines around some of the objects, such as the director's chair, and the shadows are much harsher than they should be.

I don't even know what's going on with the trees.

I'm not if this is something that can be fixed, but all help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

windhunter7
BrawlVault Gatekeeper
Angel Kitten

Check out my website for tutorials and more! :)

• Awards Famous Hacker Super Saiyan Topic RAGE!! Hyperactive Contributor

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 02:10:36 PM »

Do any of the textures have any sort of alternate textures, like specular maps, or normal maps, or the like? Also, do any of the textures have alpha in them? If you don't already know, alpha is the term for transparency of an image file

Biozilla
    Advanced Kitten

The ultimate daikaiju.

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 08:57:20 PM »

Sorry for the late reply; I just got back from work.

I'm not sure I'm familiar with these alternate textures. This is my first time trying to put together a map. I don't know how to go about looking for alternative textures and transparency, and if they'll solve my problem or are the root of it.

windhunter7
    BrawlVault Gatekeeper
    Angel Kitten

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 09:36:43 PM »

No worries, I myself work full time, so I know what that's like, lol

So, for the alternate textures, if there are any, it's not guaranteed, but they'll likely have an underscore followed by something like normals or spec at the end of the name; If you're not sure, you can Google texture maps for more information

As for the alpha, if you replace an image in Brawlbox with the texture(Do RGBA8 for maximum resolution) , you'll see checkerboards If the image has alpha

Biozilla
    Advanced Kitten

The ultimate daikaiju.

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 09:41:22 PM »

Okay, I'll test them out. Do I want alternative textures or alpha, or are they what's potentially causing the bizarre effects (if they're there)?

windhunter7
    BrawlVault Gatekeeper
    Angel Kitten

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 11:50:14 PM »

They're what's potentially causing it, although I still don't know for sure, since I don't know anything about this DS Map program

Biozilla
    Advanced Kitten

The ultimate daikaiju.

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 02:28:07 PM »

Right, so I removed the textures' alpha channels via GIMP before applying them to the model, but nothing changed. Is there a way to check for alternate textures with GIMP, and if so, would I have to check the textures or the model itself for them?

windhunter7
    BrawlVault Gatekeeper
    Angel Kitten

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 03:41:10 PM »

What you could try would be, look at what model parts aren't the same in both, and then, for each one, look at how it looks (e.g. those black rectangles) and look to see if there's a texture that's not being used that's black

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: