Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2
Author Topic: Separating Character Sound Effects (For BrawlEx, etc.)  (Read 16360 times)
Lillith
Heroic Kitten

Resident Lunatic & Fox Fanatic

• Awards Ceiling Cat Star Hacker RAGE!! Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « on: November 03, 2017, 09:46:15 PM »

uh... I sorta waited for someone else to do this, but... Eh, I'm going to give doing a tutorial a try, although I'm not good at explaining and get sidetracked a bunch, so apologies in advance if this is hard to follow.

...sorry in advance for sorta jacking your tutorial style KJP, haha.

What you will need:

- Your Fit(Fighter).pac, of course.
    - BrawlBox (I just have v0.77, so I'm just going to suggest that one or higher)
    - PSA Compressor (You can also use PSA and BrawlBox, but... I'll be doing this for PSA Compressor)~
    http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=214537
    - "SoundBank Expansion System (RSBE.Ver) [JOJI]" Found on JOJI's site-- navigate to the bottom of the sidebar 'SSBB CODES'
    http://ssbbhack.web.fc2.com/index.html
    - Notepad
    - Calculator
    - An empty Snake sawnd file
    https://mega.nz/#!qIMEUIjQ!DbaTMB_22hORrE8arjwg6hjESreTniQR6jKWKv32eLA
    - Sawndz and Super Sawndz
    - smashbros_sound.brsar, found in the Resources page at the top, go to the bottom of that page, 'Data Partition 2 (NTSC-U)', when you open the Google Drive thing, go to the 'sound' folder, and you should see it there.
    - BrawlEx (Not... completely necessary, you can use codes, but I'm not too familiar with soundbank codes) (I'm also not going to explain how BrawlEx works here, this will assume you already know some of its intricacies, apologies for that.)

So this isn't really hard to do, per se, but it does take a long while if you want to do it properly.

First thing I usually do is just to edit my character's fighterconfig with the new sawnd hex ID I intend to use (These are also found in JOJI's site "SoundBank Expansion System ID List" on the sidebar). Like so~
    Also, meet Cabbage, our test subject for today, hello Cabbage. I personally keep a notepad file for characters' SFX I have done so things don't conflict, may be a good idea if you plan on doing more than one sfx thing.

Afterward, make a new folder somewhere that you'll use to place this new characters sounds into, I also put two folders into this folder named 'se' and 'vc' (Sound effects and voices respectively) just to make things easier on myself later on-- fortunately for me, Cabbage doesn't need voice stuff so I can completely ignore that, although for most characters you would need both. I'll still note necessary voice stuff in the PSA portion.
    should also make a text file in this folder too, this'll be used to note IDs of SFX

Now you'll need to open the smashbros_sound.brsar with BrawlBox, as well as your empty sfx text file, this is how I have it set up, just to give an idea.

I'd also recommend inserting a premade sawnd for whatever character you're separating from to make life easier, however, you don't need to.
    Also before actually starting you should make sure to insert that empty Snake sawnd '44.sawnd' in with Sawndz or Super Sawndz
    Now since dear old Cabbage is an Ike clone, I'm going to go to his 'se' folder in the .brsar, just scroll down to whichever you need.
    like so~

Right click a sound, and export (Or just Ctrl+E), you only really should do this for actual sound-sounds, so remember to give it a listen to see if it is actually something.
    Save in your 'se' folder, be sure to keep its name, as it'll again, make things easier later on. (there are some exceptions to this in some of the earlier characters like Link and Bowser... uhm... all I can really suggest is to rename them to the name of an empty sound slot)
    After doing that, note down the ID of the sound effect (It's on the part to the right, under Misc>InfoIndex), as well as the name given.

Keep doing this 'till you're done with that bit of it, then move onto the 'vc' portion, and do the same there.
    ...Along the road though you'll see these subfolders
    What I like to do is just create a subfolder of the same name within the 'se' or 'vc' folder. Along with that, while noting SFX IDs and names I include that subfolder's name
    I just separate into groups of four to make it easier on myself, you don't need to do this-- just write them as you think would be easiest for you.

Anyway, now that you've got all of your sounds...
    (You'll probably have more sounds though, I also usually have a second section of these for 'vc' files for those that actually use that, so you should likely do that as well)
    ...what comes next is to convert to hex, you can use whatever method you want, but here, I'm going to use the windows calculator
    This one, these are the settings that are needed as well.

All you do here is put the 'Old SFX ID number into the calculator as Dec, the change it over to Hex and it'll convert it for you, '5841' becomes '16D1', do this for all IDs

After this is done you get to create your new soundbank, yay! All you really need to do is 'change sound' (YES! Change Sound! Using Replace will crash BrawlBox!) of corresponding sound effects in Snake's soundbank, so I'd replace his 'dash/stop' with the one I had exported earlier.
    Don't bother noting these IDs, they're not the ones you need.

After you're done, save, close BrawlBox, Open Super Sawndz, scroll down to Snake (His Group ID is 44, anything else means you're on the wrong one), click Create Sawnd, and name it the sawnd ID you wrote down way back when, Here, I have it as 430.
    Remember to export twice! I don't know why, but there's a glitch where the filesize will inflate randomly the first time it's exported, exporting a second time fixes it.

Next up, going back to JOJI's site, and back to the ID list, scroll around 'till you find your character's IDs
    Ah, there Cabbage's ID is.
    From here, you note down the IDs of those 'Internal Name' next to what you have written, like so.
    Remember! The top part of JOJI's list is for 'vc' portion, while the bottom part is for the 'se' portion, don't mix them up, otherwise things will get weird and you will need to redo a bunch.

Last stretch, all you need to do now is replace the old IDs in the PSA with the new ones

The reason I'm using PSA Compressor for this though, is to change misc SFX
    Found here~
    ...You'll have actual IDs in these lists, but I've just nulled them since Cabbage doesn't talk too much, you'll find things like crowd call, KO sounds and such here though.

Now if all has gone well, you'll have a new working soundbank, yay!
    Example~
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D1w8o6dIgY
    ...This isn't Cabbage, but Lucina was done beforehand, so.

And a bit of an addendum, don't forget to go into the 'ouen' subfolder in 'vc' folder of the .brsar for the ID of a crowdcall!
    Use whatever you think would fit for the crowd call, or simply grab this ID so you can null it in PSA or somethin'... i usually just like, use of the generic crowd sounds for these separated characters though and put that into empty sound slot. *shrug* They're found in 'se>Audience'

Uhm... I hope that people are able to follow this at all, haha, sorry again if it's hard to do so.

Update! Right at the end of the first post!
    So it's entirely possible to mass replace sounds if you're lazy or just don't want to take hours replacing SFX IDs or what have you, you still should check it all out to make sure after this, but uh... should save a lot of time.

In a hex editor like HxD, open the 'Replace' function, set Datatype to Hex-values, Search direction to All, and for both 'Search for' and 'Replace with' add three sets of four zeros, so like '0000 0000 0000', the last four numbers are your Old and New SFX IDs, respectively, if you've only three digits for an Old ID, add a 0 in front of it, so 233 would be 0233 for example. Afterwards, hit replace all

Do this for all of your SFX IDs, aaaaand sorta done. This doesn't do things like KO voices and crowd calls, but it should save uh... i dunno, two or so hours if it's done right, the point of all the zeros is so it has a lot more probability to only replace SFX IDs and not everything in the moveset-- trust me, it's a little more annoying sure, but a lot less chance for the thing to be a mess.
    « Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 01:43:28 AM by Lillith » Logged

I still talk to myself! If anyone wants to use anything I've done, feel free to! But do tell me where you use it, I want to see the finished product!

Ricky (Br3)
    KC:MM Family JesterㅤThe Last One Here
    Administrator

• Awards KCMM Storyteller Decade Staff RAGE!! Warm Welcomer

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 09:57:30 PM »

Thanks for the tutorial!

ㅤlㅤ

ㅤlㅤ

SirGimmick
    Newbie Kitten

No Limits

• Awards Star Hacker Featured >9000

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 10:42:09 PM »

Thanks for the tutorial. It's pretty handy! Does it work for both Project M and vanilla Brawl? Or does it just work for vanilla Brawl?

Please disregard the crossed out statements. After looking at the video you provided, it appears that this works with Project M. I just got ahead of myself.
    « Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 10:52:36 PM by SirGimmick » Logged

Lillith
    Heroic Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 10:53:40 PM »

It works for both-- I just used PM for the example, haha.

I still talk to myself! If anyone wants to use anything I've done, feel free to! But do tell me where you use it, I want to see the finished product!

MaBoyBrad
    Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 07:12:17 PM »

How do I add the JOJI code?

Lillith
    Heroic Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 08:03:25 PM »

Well, the way I do so is just by keeping my own code list with and older version of code manager.
    https://mega.nz/#!SNMQRJ4Q!BtXBLu36mb2TnFO1o0uDwd0ZscJJLiH8bN6bi4XcPWY

If you mean like, adding onto another code list, apparently a code fusioniser thing exists, but I know nothing about that.

Ebola16
    Importer of Dreams
    Boss Kitten

Brawl R&D // Dolphin Emulator Dev

• Awards Famous Hacker Super Saiyan Topic Sniper Pin Collector

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 02:16:01 AM »

FYI, I'm fairly confident that SoundBank Expansion System (RSBE.Ver) [JOJI] depends on smashbros_sound.brsar to be at a certain offset on Brawl's ISO. The code won't work for people who recompile their ISO with WIT from an extracted filesystem or use working around Brawlex's Final Smash Music glitch. I plan to write up my test cases later and send them to JOJI (once I figure out the best way to contact him).
    « Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:14:46 PM by Ebola16 » Logged

Brawlex Advancements (Supplement to the Brawlex thread's original post)
    I use RSBE Brawlex v2.0.0.0 Extended, Win 10, and 3ds Max (3ds Max Guide). Refresh to see my imports!

Lillith
    Heroic Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 03:41:33 AM »

Uhhhh... may be a bit of a dumb question-- but what is WIT? I can't say I've heard of it.

Ebola16
    Importer of Dreams
    Boss Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 10:05:45 AM »

Wiimms ISO Tools (WIT)

It manipulates GameCube and Wii disc images. Most notably, it can extract ISO contents to a filesystem and create a Wii-friendly ISO from that filesystem. This allows for easy mass edits of Brawl files, working around Brawlex's Final Smash Music glitch, and mitigating SDHC read times are very slow.

SoundBank Expansion System (RSBE.Ver) [JOJI] is the first Brawl code I've come across that cares about the offsets of files on the disc. WIT reorganizes the ISO slightly. I've already contacted Wiimms about WIT but he doesn't seem too interested in making a 1:1 copy of Brawl from an extracted filesystem.

Post Merge: February 08, 2018, 11:07:05 AM
    I just PM'd JOJI. Hopefully we can get the code compatible with more setups!
    « Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 11:07:05 AM by Ebola16 » Logged

I use RSBE Brawlex v2.0.0.0 Extended, Win 10, and 3ds Max (3ds Max Guide). Refresh to see my imports!

KingJigglypuff
    Meme Machine

• Awards RAGE!! >9000 Hyperactive Contributor Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 02:52:56 PM »

Speaking of JOJI's code, there's a bit of a game-breaking flaw with it. If you use an Expansion SFX ID for a Fighter's Blast Zone KO cries, the game will crash upon being Kirbycided/Dededecided.

Codes (no KC-MM nor SmashBoards profile) has came up with a fix for said issue, but due to JOJI's policy on wanting permission to distribute codes, Codes has sent him a PM with the fix. Though so far, there's been no reply from JOJI.

I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread

Lillith
    Heroic Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 03:59:00 PM »

I see, neat, thank you!

That's a bit unfortunate though, hopefully JOJI is able to resolve this.

Kirby/Dededecides crash? That's a bit bizarre... Fascinating...

Would be wonderful to see this code perfected, haha.

Ebola16
    Importer of Dreams
    Boss Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 11:23:39 PM »

I scrapped my convenient WIT setup and made sure smashbros_sound.brsar was at the proper offset. JOJI's codes now work. Looks like it's back to WIIScrubber  Cry

Slightly off topic, nice job on Robin's moveset Lillith! I tweaked his animations so default Marth imports look normal when using the moveset. I like model imports.

DPBOX
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 10:16:47 PM »

I can't insert .sawnd files into .brsar files using Super Sawndz, including the 44.sawnd. When I try to insert, the box on the left side of the Super Sawndz window says, "Error Opening brsar file: " and then it says the path to the .brsar file I opened, then, "Permission denied". The .brsar file isn't modified. What does it mean, "Permission denied"? That doesn't make any sense! How do I get the 44.sawnd file to insert?

I'm probably not going to be here very often. If you want to chat, send me a message at SMWCentral.
    http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=profile&id=20977

Lillith
    Heroic Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 10:19:55 PM »

I think that error pops up if you also have brsar open with another file at the same time, like if you open it with BrawlBox after opening Super Sawndz or something.

DPBOX
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 10:49:24 PM »

Even if the .brsar is only open in Super Sawndz, that error still pops up. I tried restarting my computer, and that didn't help at all.

I'm probably not going to be here very often. If you want to chat, send me a message at SMWCentral.
    http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=profile&id=20977

Pages:  [1] 2
    Print
    Jump to: