Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trouble getting some Lucas skins to work -- or, how to diagnose broken skins?  (Read 2793 times)
Visulth
Newbie Kitten

• Awards RAGE!!

• View Profile Awards
    « on: November 22, 2017, 01:43:48 PM »

I play Project M via usb loader (I keep two versions - one is plain Brawl which loads project m changes from SD card for easy testing, the other has the project m changes in the iso) and I've been having trouble getting some Kid Goku skins work on Lucas. I've tried three and they all crash on both of my testing versions when the stage loads.

Skins:
    'The official Kid Goku'
    'Goku official (face fix)'
    'Kid Goku (Dragon Ball)'

The weird thing is I swear the first one used to work. I just hadn't used it in ages and recently when I tried it appears to no longer work.

The first two skins are modifications of the same one, the third is a completely different goku skin and none of them work. I've tried other Lucas skins ('The Weird Masked Guy') on other slots and the same slot and they work fine. All three Goku skins come with just a .pcs, I've tried with and without a generated .pac and no difference. Still hangs after I select a stage.

Not sure what to do, nor how to diagnose a crash that is just freezing after I select a stage. I've opened the skins in Brawlbox and nothing seems amiss.

[SOLVED]
    Adjusted compression of .pac to none, .pcs to ExtendedL7ZZ, re-encoded all textures from 512x512 to 256x256.
    « Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 04:08:34 PM by Visulth » Logged

windhunter7
    BrawlVault Gatekeeper
    Angel Kitten

Check out my website for tutorials and more! :)

• Awards Famous Hacker Super Saiyan Topic RAGE!! Hyperactive Contributor

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 01:52:06 PM »

There are 2 causes of crashing when it comes to skins, and it's likely that it's the first reason, filesize; compare the filesize of these .pcs files with the original vBrawl Lucas .pcs filesize, and lemme know if they're larger or smaller than the original

Visulth
    Newbie Kitten

• Awards RAGE!!

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 02:31:23 PM »

Great, thanks for the help.

The original Lucas model on brawl:
    .pac: 1057 kb
    .pcs: 534 kb

Goku 1:
    .pac: 434 kb
    .pcs: 434 kb

Goku 2:
    .pac: 402 kb
    .pcs: 402 kb

Goku 3:
    .pac: 567 kb
    .pcs: 567 kb

Masked Lucas:
    .pac: 442 kb
    .pcs: 442 kb

windhunter7
    BrawlVault Gatekeeper
    Angel Kitten

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 02:36:53 PM »

Ok, so lower the filesize of Goku3 by exporting textures and reimporting them as half the size

Then, although there are exceptions where other reasons are why, I'm sure that these are all freezing because they don't have enough bones; to see what I mean, open up each file, expand the mdl0 and expand the Bones folder, then expand the Bones until you see ThrowN; in the window on the right, there will be something called BoneID; for all 5 .pcs files, what number is next to this?

Lillith
    Heroic Kitten

Resident Lunatic & Fox Fanatic

• Awards Ceiling Cat Star Hacker RAGE!! Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 02:54:49 PM »

On top of halving texture sizes, you'll also need to open them in BrawlBox--
    Change the '.pac' file compression to none, and the '.pcs' file compression to ExtendedLZ77

I still talk to myself! If anyone wants to use anything I've done, feel free to! But do tell me where you use it, I want to see the finished product!

Visulth
    Newbie Kitten

• Awards RAGE!!

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 03:44:41 PM »

I'm using Brawlbox 0.77 and in the bones window I don't see BoneID - I do see BoneIndex. Is that  the same property?

For all 5 skins (original, 3 gokus, masked) the BoneIndex of ThrowN was 64.

I adjusted the compression on the Goku skins (none on .pac, extendedLZ77 on .pcs) which changed their filesizes:

Goku1:
    .pac: 1341 kb
    .pcs: 355 kb

Goku2:
    .pcs: 319 kb

Goku3:
    .pcs: 536 kb

(Just a note - tested Goku 1 at this point and it still crashed)

I then halved the textures on Goku1 (each one was original 512x512, set to 256x256) which changed the filesize:

Goku1 Halved Textures:
    .pac: 477 kb
    .pcs: 186 kb

I tried it, and this one worked! I'm now going to try the others with halved textures and see if that fixed their issues too!

Post Merge: November 22, 2017, 04:06:08 PM
    Yep, all three worked! I was even able to leave the body texture at 512 and the others at 256 and they worked perfectly.

Thank you both so much for your help!

Uh, just a minor side question I didn't want to make a topic about - either of you would happen to know what causes unpredictable kirby-transformation crashes? I have a couple of skins that work great on Kirby but every now and again he'll eat someone and it'll crash while he attempts to wear their scalp. Think that's a texture issue too and I should consider resizing them? (The kirby hats aren't custom - just the default ones)
    « Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 04:09:40 PM by Visulth » Logged

Lillith
    Heroic Kitten

Resident Lunatic & Fox Fanatic

• Awards Ceiling Cat Star Hacker RAGE!! Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 04:34:57 PM »

That may also be a filesize conflict of some kind, yes, not actually sure though.

I still talk to myself! If anyone wants to use anything I've done, feel free to! But do tell me where you use it, I want to see the finished product!

windhunter7
    BrawlVault Gatekeeper
    Angel Kitten

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 12:01:59 AM »

That doesn't sound like filesize to me; sounds to me like you're swallowing a character that doesn't have a Kirby hat; AKA a "null reference error"; I could be wrong, tho, and it's probably hard to fix this

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: