Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Project Porky Minch PSA WIP!!  (Read 31408 times)
SemiPsycho
Extreme Kitten

Personal Text:

• Awards Hot Topic Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « on: September 30, 2018, 08:36:13 PM »

Welcome to the PORKY MINCH PSA thread!!!
    Original project started by PigMaskColonel, his thread can be found here:
    http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=74208.msg1337795#msg1337795
    Render by Ninten DS

This PSA aims to create Porky Minch as seen in Mother 3 as a playable character in SSBB! Using his boss 3D model as a base, we're reworking his model by scaling him down, changing its geometry, creating new textures, and modifying his skeleton to better mimic his appearance in Mother 3 and the fan game Super Smash Bros. Crusade. His move set will be a 3D incarnation of his Crusade play style, and in end will be a legitimate character that everyone can enjoy playing as and against. This mod is not aimed to play as an OP boss version of Porky. If this PSA becomes that successful, we could even make a Project M compatible version.

Here is the current progress where everything in "green" is currently finished, "yellow" is in progress, "orange" is not started and "       " is anything we haven't thought up of yet:
    Obtained 3D model of Porky boss.
    Created .sawnd pack that uses voice acting from Crusade.
    Unbinded the skeleton and mesh and scaled down for reworking.
    Removed geometry that doesn't exist in Mother 3
    Remade the rear of Porky's pants
    Replaced his upper torso with Lucas and modified it.
    Recreated the UVs for Porky's pants
    Combined Porky's UVs and Lucas' UVs into two maps (one for clothes, one for skin)

Retextured the new maps for Porky.
    Recreate Porky's skeleton
    Remove unnecessary bones from the skeleton.
    Rigged the new skeleton to the new mesh.
    Decided which character Porky will be ported over.
    Created or found pre-existing graphic effects for Porky to use.
    Created basic movement animations (duck, stand, walk, run, block, jump, roll).

Created complex movement animations (intro, ledge grab, wake up calls, thrown, etc.).
    Created animations for better compatibility (snake special grabs, hammer, ladder climb, etc.).
    Created normal attack animations.
    Created special attack animations.
    Program stats, hurtboxes, and normal attacks.

Program special attacks and some normal attacks.

You can view pictures the process of how I reworked Porky's model here:
    https://imgur.com/a/HQN0cS5
    Once the model is completed, PigMaskColonel will be helping develop the animations!

Also check out these recolors , renders, and screenshots made by Ninten DS!

https://imgur.com/a/bV45tBe

The first "build" is actually available. This is the first version that didn't freeze the game and features crude animations made by me, and isn't exactly playable. However it proves that Porky is currently "working" in game. The project is no longer being built off of this version, which will hopefully fix a lot of the issues with this build and make the process as clean as possible.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PjOmQJflqdBw8_Om_HasaI-Mu1CVE14-?usp=sharing
    Some of the thing's you'll find in this version:
    - Doesn't freeze the game!
    - Works over Lucas.
    - Bones were added to avoid the game freezing.
    - Hopefully will use Porky's move set from Smash Bros. Crusade!
    - Hurt box was adjusted and picks small items up with the mech's arm.
    - Currently uses the boss's animations as a base, so some animations (not attacks) aren't the same as SSBC.
    - Requires every animation in FitMotion.pac to be remade due to his mech.
    - Animations that haven't been remade will cause Porky to revert to his original size.
    - I have made a sawnd pack over the boss Porky once this is finished, and...
    - I plan to create extra model datas in FitPorky.pac so his graphics won't collide with Lucas in BrawlEx. This can be
       done with hex editing.
    - Porky can be grabbed, and thrown, but won't take damage from grab attacks as far as I've seen. This might be
      because of his hurtbox.
    - Likewise, he can grab and throw others but deals no damage when using a grab attack. His hit boxes will need
      adjusting.
    - Certain universal graphic effects (such as the ones that appear after landing or running) appear in the wrong
      location. They might be attached to one of the bones I added. If not, I don't know why that's happening yet.
    - If Porky turns around and faces left, the backside of the mech will be shown, unlike the boss battle and in SSBC.
    - The animations I've made could be smoother, and I need to find out his actual frame data before animating his
      attacks.

Please come check out our Discord for more frequent updates and talk if you're interested!

https://discord.gg/4ZRMWeZ
    « Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 08:28:57 AM by SemiPsycho » Logged

PigmaskColonel
    Advanced Kitten

Mister Maestro

View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 10:01:55 PM »

I'm ecstatic to see that interest in the PSA has been revived! Thanks for sharing, SemiPyscho.

I can't write a lick of code in PSA for my life, but I'm more than happy to assist with animations, audio-related business, textures, icons, etc...
    Additionally, I'm willing to contribute to moveset design and the like if we decide to deviate from the Crusade character a little, but I know I'm probably in the minority there. I'd like to hear some opinions on this first before I go hog-wild with design ideas... Haha.

Thanks to NintenDS, who's been seeking out talent to work on the project, I believe CaliburTrek (creator of the Ninten PSA from awhile back) might also be contributing, among some others. I imagine some people from the SmashBoards Porky support thread might be interested as well(?).

I T ' S   A   M I R A C O L A !

Ninten DS™
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 11:05:56 AM »

I'm glad I'm able to help in this project, Porky is my favorite Earthbound character, being the one with the most interesting personality and a great backstory after Giegue. Porky has the potential to be a new fighter in Smash, and he represents Earthbound's and Mother 3's dark side while also connecting both Ness and Lucas in a way, since they both had a conflict with Porky. Hope this Project reaches completion some day!

SemiPsycho
    Extreme Kitten

Personal Text:

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 12:15:46 AM »

Additionally, I'm willing to contribute to moveset design and the like if we decide to deviate from the Crusade character a little, but I know I'm probably in the minority there. I'd like to hear some opinions on this first before I go hog-wild with design ideas... Haha.

Animating would be a huge help! Do you plan to use the animations I've already made? Be sure to scale him down in his animations to the same size I've changed him too.

As for deviating from Crusade's moveset, I think the only attack we might have to change is his down light attack, aka his puke attack. This is because the puke can't be simulated with an actual animatuon since it stops once it hits the floor. Otherwise, it would float in midair where it supposedly would land on the ground if Porky is near an edge, or go through the floor at an incline. Another, way harder option is to program it like a special attack where the puke is its own entity. Porky's side special will be another case like this. I'm not sure how, or if, there's a way to change Lucas' special attacks to have these properties.

I'm glad I'm able to help in this project, Porky is my favorite Earthbound character, being the one with the most interesting personality and a great backstory after Giegue. Porky has the potential to be a new fighter in Smash, and he represents Earthbound's and Mother 3's dark side while also connecting both Ness and Lucas in a way, since they both had a conflict with Porky. Hope this Project reaches completion some day!

Porky is definitely an intriguing character to me, and I think Smash Bros could use some more tanks and villains. Thanks for helping spread awareness about this project and your support!

PigmaskColonel
    Advanced Kitten

Mister Maestro

View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 06:46:47 PM »

Animating would be a huge help! Do you plan to use the animations I've already made? Be sure to scale him down in his animations to the same size I've changed him too.

Well, frankly, I think most of the animations could use a little touch-up (they lack a sense of weight, and some are too stiff), but that's OK. You still did a good job, and I like a lot of the visual gags, such as the mech crossing its arms when crouching.

I've actually been experimenting with some different mech sizes, and I believe I may have found a good one:

(new on the left, old on the right)

I squashed the mech's body a little and made some modifications to the size/length of the legs -- of course, Porky himself is still the same size, though. Thoughts?

As for deviating from Crusade's moveset, I think the only attack we might have to change is his down light attack, aka his puke attack. This is because the puke can't be simulated with an actual animatuon since it stops once it hits the floor. Otherwise, it would float in midair where it supposedly would land on the ground if Porky is near an edge, or go through the floor at an incline. Another, way harder option is to program it like a special attack where the puke is its own entity. Porky's side special will be another case like this. I'm not sure how, or if, there's a way to change Lucas' special attacks to have these properties.

I see. Well, like I proposed in my PM, it might be a good idea to move things over to Dedede so we can use his Side Special as a base for the Mecha-Porkies. That's the only solution I can really think of, lest we scrap the move(s) completely -- and I would hate to do that, since the Mecha-Porkies are so integral to the character.

Ninten DS™
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 09:42:45 AM »

I've actually been experimenting with some different mech sizes, and I believe I may have found a good one:

I squashed the mech's body a little and made some modifications to the size/length of the legs -- of course, Porky himself is still the same size, though. Thoughts?

I see. Well, like I proposed in my PM, it might be a good idea to move things over to Dedede so we can use his Side Special as a base for the Mecha-Porkies. That's the only solution I can really think of, lest we scrap the move(s) completely

It kinda bugs me how the SSE Porky is bigger than Ness while this Porky is smaller, the only problem I could see with him being resized to Ness'/Lucas' size is that he will probably hurt his head when reposing it over the part that's right over the glass, but I guess that's just me. Porky's animations are pretty good, but the run animation doesn't quite fit, looks more like a fast walk rather than a run, I still think PigMaskColonel's old run animation was pretty good as a run. Talking about animations, I've been trying to get to learn to do simple animations, I just made Porky make his head bounce a little in the run animation while looking to his right. About the turning animation too: I saw that PigMaskColonel's didn't make Porky and his mech be mirrored, while the one in the files actually makes him turn around, maybe trying to make the animation not flip the model in a way like that? I didn't try it, but I think it could work somehow. If we get to do some "custom coding" I could think of using Porky throwing bob-ombs from the upper part of his mech of course, and maybe we could find a way to replace that bob-omb's model with a Mecha-Porky? For the attacks that already have animations I think that the dash attack could use basically (almost) any other character's coding, being Mario the main one of course. If we get the project somewhere, I wish we can get people to do custom models and make a more high-poly Porky model, not being able to really move his arms or legs is a shame to be honest, even though Porky almost can't move I thought we could still make him do the spankety taunt. I'm thinking about tweaking the textures too, I can take care of that, since Porky's textures apparently were designed to fit with the glowing lights of his mech.
    Before this post ends: the textures on the mech are kinda buggy, the upper and lower part of it are black, but when approached with the camera on training mode actually makes it red. I'm still trying to get CaliburTek and King Bob Videos to see the PMs. Apart from that I got someone from Smashboards to post it on reddit, don't know if he did it yet, but at least it could get even more people's attention!
    « Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 09:43:36 AM by Ninten DS™ » Logged

PigmaskColonel
    Advanced Kitten

Mister Maestro

View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 01:27:47 PM »

It kinda bugs me how the SSE Porky is bigger than Ness while this Porky is smaller, the only problem I could see with him being resized to Ness'/Lucas' size is that he will probably hurt his head when reposing it over the part that's right over the glass, but I guess that's just me.

In his final animations (rather than the T-pose seen in the image), Porky will be seated lower in the mech, so we won't need to worry about his head clipping through the stuff near the top, even once he's been up-scaled a little -- and yes, I am planning on making him a little bigger. Ideally, we'd just re-model his entire body, but I'm not sure how possible that is currently. We'd likely have to do the same for the mech if we went that route.

Porky's animations are pretty good, but the run animation doesn't quite fit, looks more like a fast walk rather than a run, I still think PigMaskColonel's old run animation was pretty good as a run.

Well, 99% of the animations we've currently implemented could certainly be considered placeholders, so I wouldn't worry too much about that just yet.. My old animations were crude at best, but I think I could do a far better job with my current skillset.

If we get to do some "custom coding" I could think of using Porky throwing bob-ombs from the upper part of his mech of course, and maybe we could find a way to replace that bob-omb's model with a Mecha-Porky? For the attacks that already have animations I think that the dash attack could use basically (almost) any other character's coding, being Mario the main one of course. If we get the project somewhere, I wish we can get people to do custom models and make a more high-poly Porky model, not being able to really move his arms or legs is a shame to be honest, even though Porky almost can't move I thought we could still make him do the spankety taunt. I'm thinking about tweaking the textures too, I can take care of that, since Porky's textures apparently were designed to fit with the glowing lights of his mech.

The Bob-omb definitely wouldn't work. It's an item that's hard-coded into the game and would be far, far too powerful as a spammable projectile. I still believe our best lead is Dedede's Side Special, due to how similar it is to what we have in mind for the Mecha-Porkies. Maybe even Olimar's Pikmin could give us a few hints?

I'm not so sure about the dash attack either, considering that Porky's will need a lingering hitbox, like in Crusade. I really don't think we'll want to try recycling code from other fighters for most of Porky's attacks, since Porky's hitboxes and general properties are so massively different from any other character in the game. It'd be easier to just do it from the ground up most of the time.
    Also, just in case it wasn't already obvious, both of the attack animations are just placeholders... Haha. The frame data isn't final in the least.

And, as a stated before, a new Porky model is definitely desirable. I'm just not sure how practical it is in the long run.

Before this post ends: the textures on the mech are kinda buggy, the upper and lower part of it are black, but when approached with the camera on training mode actually makes it red.

Could you post screenshots of this as well? I haven't had the chance to look at it running in-game much, so I wouldn't know what exactly you mean.

SemiPsycho
    Extreme Kitten

Personal Text:

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 02:04:24 PM »

I do like the version you made!
    Well, frankly, I think most of the animations could use a little touch-up (they lack a sense of weight, and some are too stiff), but that's OK. You still did a good job, and I like a lot of the visual gags, such as the mech crossing its arms when crouching.

(new on the left, old on the right)

I see. Well, like I proposed in my PM, it might be a good idea to move things over to Dedede so we can use his Side Special as a base for the Mecha-Porkies. That's the only solution I can really think of, lest we scrap the move(s) completely -- and I would hate to do that, since the Mecha-Porkies are so integral to the character.

That's okay! I should work on my animating skills. I did that all in Brawl Box at the time so it may lack some visual elements. As for your scaled version, I like it! NintenDS did mention that Porky himself is now smaller than Ness and Lucas and his head appears to hit the top metal area above his bed. But it looks like there's extra space between his feet and the bottom of the bed, so we can push that down so it fits more snug and maybe we can even make enough space to scale Porky himself up a bit to match Ness and Lucas. I think if we do any of that and before we start animating we still need to decide if we're going to remodel or modify Porky so we can rig him with more bones.

I think the Dedede idea is great! And since we plan on remaking every animation we can place Porky over any character to test so long as porky has more bones than that character.

We had actually discussed the issue of Porky facing a different direction when he turns. That seems like a complicated issue. If we don't turn him around in his animation he might just flip sides anyways and if he doesnt, he could only attack in the same direction.

Ninten DS™
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 02:14:17 PM »

I do like the version you made!
    That's okay! I should work on my animating skills. I did that all in Brawl Box at the time so it may lack some visual elements. As for your scaled version, I like it! NintenDS did mention that Porky himself is now smaller than Ness and Lucas and his head appears to hit the top metal area above his bed. But it looks like there's extra space between his feet and the bottom of the bed, so we can push that down so it fits more snug and maybe we can even make enough space to scale Porky himself up a bit to match Ness and Lucas. I think if we do any of that and before we start animating we still need to decide if we're going to remodel or modify Porky so we can rig him with more bones.

I think the Dedede idea is great! And since we plan on remaking every animation we can place Porky over any character to test so long as porky has more bones than that character.

We had actually discussed the issue of Porky facing a different direction when he turns. That seems like a complicated issue. If we don't turn him around in his animation he might just flip sides anyways and if he doesnt, he could only attack in the same direction.

Well, after all all I have experience with is textures, so I guess I shouldn't be talking about coding or anything.
    I've added the images to the renders album, so here they are plus some previews  I decided to do for my twitter: https://imgur.com/a/bV45tBe

The only problem with Porky's model is the legs and arms, and if this is easier I think we can stick with this model, soon I'll try to show you some improved textures.

SemiPsycho
    Extreme Kitten

Personal Text:

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 07:51:54 AM »

Well, after all all I have experience with is textures, so I guess I shouldn't be talking about coding or anything.
    I've added the images to the renders album, so here they are plus some previews  I decided to do for my twitter: https://imgur.com/a/bV45tBe

The only problem with Porky's model is the legs and arms, and if this is easier I think we can stick with this model, soon I'll try to show you some improved textures.

No worries, just because you don't know about coding doesn't mean you can't make suggestions. And WOW you've done a lot of recolor, nice!

However I've decided that before we start animations that the model needs some work before that can happen. The Porky 3D model isnt very high quality because game devs only planned on the mech moving, so I'm now making changes to the model and skeleton.

So far I've unbinded the skin and skeleton, and reduced both of them separately to their appropriate size according to the scale PigMaskColonel made. After I adjust Porky himself, I'll freeze the transformations on both the skeleton and the mesh so it cleans up everything. This should stop Porky from reverting back to original size for every animation that's incomplete, because we no longer have to scale him down through animations.

I'll be using Lucas' model to rework parts of Porky (suggested by PigMaskColonel). I'm going to add more bones to Porky's body allowing for more control, and by default he will be posed a little different than he was before (his arms will just be T-posed instead because his shirt sleeve cuts into his torso in his normal pose, which will be hard to re_rig). And since I'm adding bones to Porky's model that will actually be used, I can delete the previously made UselessBones I added initially to get him compatible. However, we can expect that his bone indexes will shift, so graphic effects, and the bone that picks up an item, will more than likely be in the wrong place. We'll have to go in there and change the bones these effects use later on.

One final important thing to note about reworking Porky is his textures. His textures WERE fine, but since we're modifying his model, I may have to remake his UV wrapper and textures.

Ninten DS™
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 12:23:10 PM »

I've done some edits to the textures, plus I did a concept for how Porky's stand could be, I mainly did it to make it similar to Mother 3's and Crusade's idle, plus I scaled Porky from 2 to 2.5: even though I did this, I don't have model editing skills, I did this with the idle animation and well, the animation was incredibly bugged. I've also done some modifications to his textures like making the mech's legs a bit more purple like his Mother 3 form but making them stay kind of gray-ish, made his hair look not so blue-shiny-like (same with moustache), gave his shirt Mecha Porky's textures to feel more true to the rest of the cast and also some general gray scaled parts to fit a bit more Brawl's style from my point of view. Here are they:

« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 12:24:32 PM by Ninten DS™ » Logged

SemiPsycho
    Extreme Kitten

Personal Text:

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 01:06:45 PM »

I like the texture edits you made to the mech. And that blue-is light on his head always bothered me XD. BUT for now don't go too crazy on editing textures for Porky himself (the mech should be fine) because I'm in the process of remodeling him, so the UVs are bound to change, meaning the texture map may look different afterwards.

PigMaskColonel also made an idle stance similar to yours in the sense that he's more tilted back, but the legs are closer to the mech like in Crusade, which hopefully in the end will avoid making his hurt box larger than it needs to be, or appear bigger than it is.

Ninten DS™
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 03:28:48 PM »

I believe that right now we may not need people to help us, right? I have yet to be replied by CaliburTek, still, and I mainly have to notify him via his YouTube channel apparently due to him not receiving notifications via email or not having time when sent, so I was wondering if I should already contact him, or if I should wait. I don't exactly know but I think he's about animating, don't know if he can code. Speaking about coding, perhaps any of you could contact KingJigglyPuff in the future to help us when the model and some moves are done? I may also try to contact some more people later on.

Post Merge: October 06, 2018, 11:10:58 AM
    Here are some stock icons made by TheCJBrine from Smashboards! https://imgur.com/gallery/ggsKuou
    It also includes young Porky alts!
    « Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 11:10:58 AM by Ninten DS™ » Logged

SemiPsycho
    Extreme Kitten

Personal Text:

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #13 on: October 06, 2018, 03:25:10 PM »

I believe that right now we may not need people to help us, right? I have yet to be replied by CaliburTek, still, and I mainly have to notify him via his YouTube channel apparently due to him not receiving notifications via email or not having time when sent, so I was wondering if I should already contact him, or if I should wait. I don't exactly know but I think he's about animating, don't know if he can code. Speaking about coding, perhaps any of you could contact KingJigglyPuff in the future to help us when the model and some moves are done? I may also try to contact some more people later on.

I also tried messaging CaliburTek, but I didn't get a response yet, but that's okay, I think we're doing okay for now. Regarding coding, I should be able to manage most of it, so I don't think its necessary to call KJP right away XD, if we can get his attention to this project.

I want to show everyone progress on remodeling Porky. As a matter of fact, I might be done with the remodeling. Now I have to recreate the UVs (some are salvageable) and rig him over a new skeleton. Check out the screenshots I made! I'll update the OP with this as well:

This isn't shown in the screenshot, but the skeleton for Porky and the rest of his mech now match the resize PigMaskColonel made properly, rather than forcing the animations to resize it. I have to add more bones to Porky first before rigging otherwise the whole remodeling process is pointless.

I'm wondering though, should I rig him first, or start working on his UVs? What do you think I should do?
    « Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 03:38:51 PM by SemiPsycho » Logged

Ninten DS™
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #14 on: October 06, 2018, 03:35:41 PM »

I also tried messaging CaliburTek, but I didn't get a response yet, but that's okay, I think we're doing okay for now. Regarding coding, I should be able to manage most of it, so I don't think its necessary to call KJP right away XD, if we can get his attention to this project.

I want to show everyone progress on remodeling Porky. As a matter of fact, I might be done with the remodeling. Now I have to recreate the UVs (some are salvageable) and rig him over a new skeleton. Check out the screenshots I made! I'll update the OP with this as well:

Damn, I didn't even notice he didn't have a butt, how sad... Anyway, the model's looking pretty good! The only thing that bothers me is that you didn't make changes to the legs and face, because the legs would be necessary to do his spankety taunt if we decide to do so, and the face, to at least smile, but that's a minimum detail. After that I think making his pants get smaller doesn't quite fit to me, because Ness and Lucas have like the same opening, but you can leave it like that if you want, nothing major. After at, do you think you could also make a model that makes his sleeves and pants larger? It's for the business suit alt, I'd love to do that alt! About the UVs (right?), do you think there's a way of getting his suspenders' textures not appearing at all? I've tried erasing them for the old business suit alt concept, but of course I would only get an error texture, do you think it's possible?

Looking great tho!

Pages:  [1] 2 3
    Print
    Jump to: