Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How to Nullify an Action Override or Exit and Save for Later Use (Brawlbox)  (Read 5092 times)
SemiPsycho
Extreme Kitten

Personal Text:

• Awards Hot Topic Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « on: December 08, 2018, 03:47:57 PM »

Hello! To figure this out, I had to use this tutorial as a reference:
    http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=65585.0

Only use this tutorial if you're editing your file with Brawlbox. PSA offers many features, one of which makes this process much more simple.

An action override is rather self-explanatory. It overrides the normal execution of code with its own to achieve special effects. Simply removing the code in an action override won't remove it, it will cause the character to freeze in place when that action is reached.

There's a tutorial for creating an action override for a character that doesn't have one, and there's a tutorial for creating action overrides for a character that already has one, but what if you needed to remove an action override?

This became a concern for me while I was working on a PSA over Ness. I found that after importing my new model that I could no longer charge my up and down smash attacks. I deduced that since Ness has unique smash attacks, that action overrides were most likely causing the problem (beside bone references), and since I don't plan to use the yo-yo, I tried this out. I think this can work with other characters that experience similar problems.

This tutorial will show how to nullify interfering action overrides until you need them for something else, if ever. If you end up using all of them, you should still be able to use the other tutorials on how to add more. Nullifying them is much easier!

What you need:
    - Tabuu Alpha 3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iymz8d0ja9bie4i/Tabuu%20Alpha%203.zip?dl=0
    - Hex Editor: https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/
    - FitCharacter.pac
    - No Brawlbox or PSA!

Open up your FitCharacter.pac with Tabuu. I will be using FitNess.pac. Then open MiscData[0] --> sections and click statusAnimCmdDisguiseList for action override or statusAnimCmdExitDisguiseList for action exit. I will be choosing action overrides. If you don't see one or either of these folders then your character doesn't have them, and this tutorial isn't for you. I opened up the folder for Ness' action overrides and found a bunch of them. Clicking one will reveal the ActionID it overrides. The last action override should be empty because it actually marks the end of the list of action overrides.

You can use this link to find what number correlates to each action:
    http://opensa.dantarion.com/wiki/Actions_(Brawl)

I actually don't need to keep any of these but the last two (excluding the end of list "override"), but I showed the first one that relates to the problem I was having.

Right click  statusAnimCmdDisguiseList and click open hex view (content). Once you're inside, notice that each override is 8 bytes long and they're color coded. The first 4 represent the action ID and the last 4 represent the location of the code it reads. I recommend copying all these values to notepad because we will be reorganizing them in the hex editor. You can also keep a copy of your FitCharacter.pac file to have Tabuu open while you make edits to the other in the hex editor.

Now open the file in your hex editor (you should close Tabuu if you didn't copy your file). At the top click Search ---> Find. Change the Datatype to hex values. Then type the data for the first action override. In this case, mine is 00000029 00018538, but all I need to type is 00018538 and search. You should see the same code as in Tabuu.

Now we have to reorganize the action overrides. In notepad, make a list of action overrides you want to keep and one for overrides you want to omit. However, you have to make sure that they are organized in chronological order in regards to the command location offset.

In my example, the two overrides I want to keep happen to be right next to each other already, so there are no overrides in between them I want to omit. If that's not the case for you, place the ones you want to keep in chronological order like normal, but if you want to reuse one of the unused overrides later, make sure you still place it in chronological order and not at the end of the list. This way if you happen to use all the overrides, it should end up in the original order.

After you have your overrides organized, copy all the overrides you want to keep. Click on the very first override offset, and right click, and choose paste WRITE. Do NOT choose paste insert, this will improperly increase the file size and corrupt the file. Remember the "override" in Tabuu that actually ends the list? It looks like FFFFFFFF 00000000. Type that line immediately after the list of overrides to keep. Now you want to copy all the values for the overrides you're not keeping, and place it immediately after those bytes. Make sure you do not replace the 00000000.

What you have just done is tell the file to stop reading the overrides that you placed after FFFFFFFF 00000000, and the offsets after it aren't read unless you put them before that line. I think technically the omitted overrides don't have to be in order, but its more clean to keep them that way in case you need any of them again.

After you're done, save and open it back up with Tabuu!! (HxD will automatically create a backup for you)
    And WAH LAAA!! Those extra action overrides won't hinder you again! To re-purpose an action override or exit just place it accordingly before the FFFFFFFF 00000000 bytes and change the action ID to the one you need, and then recode the commands in brawlbox or psa!

Thanks for listening to my tutorial! If this was helpful, or you found issues, or if it's irrelevant because people barely mod the game anymore, please give feedback!
    « Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 04:13:17 PM by SemiPsycho » Logged

KingJigglypuff
    Meme Machine

• Awards RAGE!! >9000 Hyperactive Contributor Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 06:05:34 AM »

I'm sorry to say, but the tutorial you linked (and by extension, this tutorial) is outdated (I have since unstickied the other thread).

Here's a more up to date tutorial for adding Action Overrides: http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=78868.0

For removing an Override with the updated method, just go to the Override tab, select your desired list (Entry or Exit), select your desired Override, right click, and click Remove.

I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread

SemiPsycho
    Extreme Kitten

Personal Text:

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 08:30:44 AM »

I'm sorry to say, but the tutorial you linked (and by extension, this tutorial) is outdated (I have since unstickied the other thread).

Here's a more up to date tutorial for adding Action Overrides: http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=78868.0

For removing an Override with the updated method, just go to the Override tab, select your desired list (Entry or Exit), select your desired Override, right click, and click Remove.

Ohhh, I didn't know! I've been using Brawlbox v0.68b, and I did this because my file couldn't open in PSA for some reason, and a thread you made says Ness can't be edited in Brawlbox, but this fixed the problem. I wasn't aware how recent other software for editIng PSAs were (should've figured since they're called PSAs and not Brawlboxes).
    Dang I didn't know it was that easy now! XD Would you like me to remove this tutorial?
    « Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 08:55:59 AM by SemiPsycho » Logged

KingJigglypuff
    Meme Machine

• Awards RAGE!! >9000 Hyperactive Contributor Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 05:23:07 PM »

I'd recommend moving onto PSA Compressor, as it offers almost everything BrawlBox v0.68b has to offer (and more), with the only BrawlBox exclusive features being hitbox/hurtbox viewing, and hitbox flag parsing.

It's your choice if you want to keep this tutorial up or not. Even if it's outdated, it would be a shame for you to put all this work to waste.

I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread

SemiPsycho
    Extreme Kitten

Personal Text:

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 04:14:56 PM »

I've modified the OP to let people know they should use this tutorial only with Brawlbox, and that PSA can simplify the process quite easily.

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: