Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: stages without character shadows. How do we add them?  (Read 2014 times)
Robz
Drinking boss Epic
Special Access

I ain't no baby man.

• Awards Fiery Topic >9000 Diamond in the Rough Famous Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « on: May 18, 2010, 05:25:59 PM »

I've been searching for an answer for a long time but have never found a solution. is there anyone out there who knows how to add those bloody things? I want my edited stages to be the best quality I can get them. and shadows are a nice touch.

This also applies for lighting effects like on pokemon stadium. how do I get the same effect or import them without importing the whole model?

Help a brother out. thanks in advance.

Bros: dRage ~ Vish 
    Bang your fist to the ground. let people know your name. Always make people laugh. and always share your booze.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a1yoVv5Uto&feature=related
    Guy Gets f'ed up
    If you dont drink then you don't work hard enough. simply put. Drink after success. Not during.

dingo
    Angel Kitten

Il Matto

• Awards >9000 Troubleshooter Heart Container Pin Collector

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 06:02:50 PM »

Mewtwo2000. He puts shadows in his custom stages.

Mewtwo2000
    The Stage Master
    Special Access

Making stages since 2010

• Awards Former PMDT King for a Day Ceiling Cat Featured

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 06:14:14 PM »

Yeah, I've invented an useful model, a 20x0x20 one indeed, that makes shadows casting everywhere. If you're interested, I can explain you how to use it. My wish would be that every hacked stage would use it so every stage has shadows and look more realistic, but almost noone noticed about my invention.

Get one of my stages such as the Mario Villains one, and get the MShadow model you'll find in there. It's easy to place with mathematics, because of the exact dimensions it has. Be sure to have the TShadow1 texture in your stage and just try to place a little above the ground you're going to cast the shadow to. If getting trouble, just ask me Smiley

When you've successfully used it, ask me if you don't know how to make more than 1 shadow zones for your stages if needed.

SW FC: SW-5958-4724-5095
    Wii FC: 1247-2259-6207
    Twitch: http://twitch.tv/mewtwo2000
    Visit my stage thread here

Stage light and fog tutorial
    Stage shadows tutorial

Robz
    Drinking boss Epic
    Special Access

I ain't no baby man.

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 08:11:50 PM »

Mewtwo2000 I've looked at your stages and was very impressed at your effort. I have downloaded mario Villians and extracted the Mshadow model. although after an hour of failure trying to figure out how to place it I decided to ask for more help.

I have inserted the Mshadow model into Modeldata[1]  and have the texture placed. I seen the shadow on stage but it only shows when im standing in middle of the stage. and it is hovering about the ground.

I apologize due to my lack of understanding but can you explain to me how to place it with proper mathematics.
    what do i have to change in order for the shadow to show on the whole stage and how do I lower it so it doesn't look like it's hovering.

oh and since im asking questions. Is there anyway to edit collision data so that you can move the data behind or in front of a stage? For example move battlefields collision data behind the stage so when you brawl you'll appear behind the stage fighting on invisible platforms.

Robzdablade Thanks in advance
    « Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 12:55:29 AM by Robzdablade » Logged

Bang your fist to the ground. let people know your name. Always make people laugh. and always share your booze.
    Guy Gets f'ed up
    If you dont drink then you don't work hard enough. simply put. Drink after success. Not during.

Mewtwo2000
    The Stage Master
    Special Access

Making stages since 2010

• Awards Former PMDT King for a Day Ceiling Cat Featured

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 06:28:06 PM »

Just copying the answer in the PM so anyone can learn xD

---

Do you know how to move models by using character animations? I think that's what you have left in order to make the shadows work properly. Just create a character animation in modeldata[1] and when in the model previewer for the MShadow model, select the animation. When you change the translations/rotations/scales, the numbers will turn yellow if the animation is properly selected. Also, if MShadow is the only model in the modeldata[1], it still won't move. Just duplicate the model inside modeldata[101] (the poketrainer one) and import it into modeldata[1], placing it in the first place.

By doing all of this, you should be able to move the model. Now let's talk about maths. MShadow is made with proper dimensions so placing it is easy. The model is 20 points in X, 0 points in Y and 20 points in Z. If you have, for example, a ground that goes from (x,y,z)=(-200,-10,Z) to (x,y,z)=(150,-10,Z), then you have that the total X lenght of the ground is 350. 350/20=17. This is the X scale for MShadow. Also, -10 will be the Y translation for MShadow. The X translation will be the middle point in X, so (-200+150)/2=-25. And Z will be determined of how is the ground in your stage. The X and Y values can be extracted from the collisions, just by viewing where the collision vertices are. For Z you will need to know the dimensions of the ground, or just test and fail. You won't be able to see the MShadow model in the collision editor at first, but if you preview it alone, you can enable the TShadow texture in it so you can view it in the previewers.

The collisions are only in X and Y, so you can't move them to the front or behind. That's why the collision data is useful to place shadows in X and Y, but not Z. You can move the stage, but not the collisions, so you can have battlefield in the background and brawling in front of it in an invisible platform.

I hope you understood this Bible xD

Thanks for your interest =)

SW FC: SW-5958-4724-5095
    Wii FC: 1247-2259-6207
    Twitch: http://twitch.tv/mewtwo2000
    Visit my stage thread here

Stage light and fog tutorial
    Stage shadows tutorial

Robz
    Drinking boss Epic
    Special Access

I ain't no baby man.

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 08:51:25 PM »

lmao was gonna post that message here aswell, you beat me to it XD
    « Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 10:31:22 PM by Robzdablade » Logged

Guy Gets f'ed up

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: