Poll
Question:
Next tutorial should be:
Option 1: Applying distorted patterns (Useful for muscle/capes)
votes: 5
Option 2: Applying gradient maps for recoloring (useful for easy recoloring and metals)
votes: 7
QuoteHey guys, I'll be posting some nice Photoshop techniques which you can use to quickly get nice results for your Brawl textures.
I'm going to post them all in this thread to keep it organized!
Baking from Normals Tutorial
[spoiler]
The TheorySmash 4 uses a more advanced light engine that Brawl's that instead of implementing normal coloring and pre-baked shadows uses normal maps for diffuse and normal coloring.
What this means for Brawl, however, is that when we import a Smash 4 model, we're going to get a plaster-like diffuse texture.
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/maurivit/1.png)
Ladies and Gentlemen I present to you Captain PlasterThis means we'll get a washed out color texture that we can't really use.
So what then? We bake shadows!
Where are we going to get them from? Normal maps silly!
So, normal maps are a means to store shadow information so you no longer have to calculate it, it's smart stuff and makes your game look beautiful. It consists of three channels ( Red, Green, Blue) with a different directional light (X, Y, Z).
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/maurivit/falcon00nut5.png)
So if we split it...
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/maurivit/Splitting.gif)
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/maurivit/4.png)
Woaaaaaahhhh, three separate shadow maps!
We can bake these into out colors now!
The GuideLet's open up the diffuse now... ugh, no wonder it looks like plaster...
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/maurivit/plaster.png)
Now, Brawl's texture favors a top-down light, this means, for the best results, apply the green channel to the diffuse and use an overlay or soft light filter, depends on you to choose which one.
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/maurivit/6.png)
Good! Now let's add a little bit of direction since you know the camera is going to show the side of the character. For this we apply the red layer!
Invert it and set it as a Multiply, since we're just changing the darkness value, not the brightness...
It will end up being a bit dark like so:
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/maurivit/7.png)
So let's use the level tool!
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/maurivit/Level.gif)
Now, we got directional lights!
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/maurivit/8.png)
But no self shadowing, some ambient occlusion might add to this effect, but I couldn't find it in the normal map at plain sight.... BUT, it turns out the developers at Namco decided to use the transparency channel from the textures as Ambient Occlusion ([censored] yea)
So let's grab that channel....
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/maurivit/9.png)
Multiply and level......
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/maurivit/10.png)
And boom, we've baked everything we need, lets go back to Captain Plaster now
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/maurivit/5.png)
DAMN, he's looking fine, look at him go!
All that is left now is just tweaking with the opacities and blend filters until you get the result you want, I've heard people say that some 3DS textures map well, try using those to compare to your texture's settings.
[/spolier]
More tutorials coming soon!
+1 and a thread follow, you magnificent bastard.
The first time I tried this out, I didn't know to invert the Red, so I came out with this for ZSS.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
But here's the result with the inverted Red.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
Just wanting to show these to make sure I got it right.
Quote from: KingJigglypuff on February 09, 2015, 09:02:02 PM
+1 and a thread follow, you magnificent bastard.
The first time I tried this out, I didn't know to invert the Red, so I came out with this for ZSS.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
But here's the result with the inverted Red.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
Just wanting to show these to make sure I got it right.
You won't really know it's right until you look at the model with the texture, the reason I asked to invert the red is because you see the character from one of the sides, so you need to prefer one over the other, it's all trial and error once you get the concept of what a normal map is.
So it doesn't matter if the Red is inverted or not? Just as long as it looks authentic? Is that what you're getting at? I'm not one to fiddle with textures, so excuse me if I sound like a noob at this.
Quote from: KingJigglypuff on February 09, 2015, 11:36:04 PM
So it doesn't matter if the Red is inverted or not? Just as long as it looks authentic? Is that what you're getting at? I'm not one to fiddle with textures, so excuse me if I sound like a noob at this.
Red will look correct no matter if inverted or not, it comes down to looking authentic, yes! Just make sure you know which side gets shown to the game camera to decide on the texture's shading.
I'm using Photoshop CS6 and I get stuck right after splitting the channels. Sorry for being a bit lost.
Copy and paste the individual split channels via Ctrl + A (Select All), Ctrl + C (Copy), and Ctrl + V (Paste) into the flat texture. That's how I do it.
I'm debating between two tutorials now, they're both incredibly useful and can help you do wonders with textures:
-The first is how to correctly apply patterns to models and have them look like they belong, for example applying a logo in Marth's Case with them.
-The other is an intro to gradient mapping which allows for super detailed metal-like recolors or whatever you'd please with them.
yo mvit.... just out of curiosity.. how would this work with transparent textures? since laying them over the transparent diffuse texture removes its transparency.. soo how does one go around that issue?
(http://i.imgur.com/YghupqZ.png)
[spoiler](http://i.imgur.com/PCcsctt.png)(http://i.imgur.com/ZzxYLD7.png)
(http://i.imgur.com/BqAXHW0.png)(http://i.imgur.com/JOsHnMT.png)
You can create a clipping mask, simply hold Alt(win)/Option(mac) then hover over the line between 2 layers, click when the cursosr changes. You can also select a layer and hit Ctrl+Alt+G/Alt+Cmd+G
Do this for every layer above your texture layer
(http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd351/rene_dragus/clipping%20mask_zpsfm1a0adi.png)
ah i didnt know that.. thanks Dr.!! :D
Well since this thread is "up" again, I have an issue regarding the Normal map stuff.
With certain textures, it ends up glitching whenever I try bringing the split channels onto the texture.
What it's supposed to look like.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
How it looks when I bring it in as a new layer.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
Is there a fix or workaround for this?
Quote from: KingJigglypuff on April 23, 2015, 05:20:17 PM
Well since this thread is "up" again, I have an issue regarding the Normal map stuff.
With certain textures, it ends up glitching whenever I try bringing the split channels onto the texture.
What it's supposed to look like.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
How it looks when I bring it in as a new layer.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
Is there a fix or workaround for this?
Mind pm'ing me the images? I have a feeling that it's a transparency mask glitch or something similar but can't tell for sure.
Also! If anyone has Chrom's textures, send them to me! I want to use them for the gradient map tutorial!
sure i got them, ill send them to ya soon
edit:
send it! also.. i know that the alpha layer in the normal maps is the spec.. but what r the red and green used for again? been trying to make a special shader that uses all 3 layers + rim lighting being applied
Quote from: PervyDSX8 on April 27, 2015, 12:50:58 PM
sure i got them, ill send them to ya soon
edit:
send it! also.. i know that the alpha layer in the normal maps is the spec.. but what r the red and green used for again? been trying to make a special shader that uses all 3 layers + rim lighting being applied
Alpha is Ambient Occlusion which is self illumination, it could work as spec.
Blue seems to be cavity maps, which you don't really need in smash.
Green seems to be shadow in the Y (Or Above to Below) direction.
Red is shadow in the X (East to West) direction.
ah ok, so red and green is pretty much close to light maps in a way? not sure how imma pull 'shadow' maps off correctly in smash.. since i got no shader info on shadow maps to recreate
That's why you bake the shadows like I did in the tutorials sadly, brawl bakes the ambient occlusion, cavity and Y light from what I can tell in their textures.
hmm bummer... that sucks.. o well, at least the alpha layer can be its own texture if ppl choose to
have fun with chrom's textures for ur next tut
edit:
found some data about shadow maps online.. and i can pretty much get its material data, and half of its shader data, but.. gotta have to study the shader more :p
Quote
Material node
glGenTextures(1, &shadowMapTexture);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, shadowMapTexture);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_NEAREST);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_NEAREST);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);
Shader data
//Enable shadow comparison
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_COMPARE_MODE, GL_COMPARE_R_TO_TEXTURE);
//Shadow comparison should be true (ie not in shadow) if r<=texture
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_COMPARE_FUNC, GL_LEQUAL);
//Shadow comparison should generate an INTENSITY result
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_DEPTH_TEXTURE_MODE, GL_INTENSITY);
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT24, shadowMapSize, shadowMapSize, 0, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, NULL);
[spoiler](http://i.imgur.com/jeQFNxS.png)
Why dont I got this channel ???
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/maurivit/9.png)
Quote from: jordyAD on May 02, 2015, 09:47:57 PM
Why dont I got this channel ???
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v451/maurivit/9.png)
That's probably because you have to split the channels first.
Just got out of class but had to pack my main desktop (that has windows on it), gradient map tutorial hopefully coming soon-ish
Edit: Re-writing the gradient map one, also doing a new one for better Smash 4 textures and what not.
If someone had extensive knowledge on making clothing, I can easily see this being used as a amazing way to make some highly acurate cosplays
Hey guys, it's been a long year for me with college, but whatever it's summer time!
So, I've been trying out Blender and managed to get a really nice light setup that allows me to bake normals and speculars in a way that the Wii U would into a diffuse texture (jargon, woo!)
These are the results I've gotten so far:
(http://i.imgur.com/WStUB9b.png)
Left is how Mario looks in Smash 4, Right are my results.
This is StupidMarioFan1's model port (god I hope I got that name right)
I've baked the normal maps and specular maps into the diffuse using Blender as you can see in the shirt, overall and shoes. I'm still working on figuring out how the skin works in Smash 4 and how to make the gloves look better, because there's either some normal or glaring issues I'm ignoring.
I'd love to see how this looks on Dolphin or a Wii, I'm away from my main computer right now, so if anyone's willing to be my guinea pig, let me know. Afterwards, I'll release the setup and a small tutorial on how to bake and set up materials (note, I have as of yet not encountered hair like Shulk's nor metallic surfaces with this method).
When you manage to figure everything out, I'd love to try it out for you.
(http://i.imgur.com/t7kldur.png)
Got skin almost looking similar, but looking great regardless, it's really hacky and will require additional explanation. So more complexity added to this new method.... great.
Edit: I've replaced all of the textures now, gloves look really good now! :D
here's a preview image:
(http://i.imgur.com/GWeKm0n.png)
who's up for testing?
Testing the method, the model, or both? I'm still up for it, regardless.