uh... I sorta waited for someone else to do this, but... Eh, I'm going to give doing a tutorial a try, although I'm not good at explaining and get sidetracked a bunch, so apologies in advance if this is hard to follow.
...sorry in advance for sorta jacking your tutorial style KJP, haha.
What you will need:
- Your Fit(Fighter).pac, of course.
- BrawlBox (I just have v0.77, so I'm just going to suggest that one or higher)
- PSA Compressor (You can also use PSA and BrawlBox, but... I'll be doing this for PSA Compressor)~
http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=214537 (http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=214537)
- "SoundBank Expansion System (RSBE.Ver) [JOJI]" Found on JOJI's site-- navigate to the bottom of the sidebar 'SSBB CODES'
http://ssbbhack.web.fc2.com/index.html (http://ssbbhack.web.fc2.com/index.html)
- Notepad
- Calculator
- An empty Snake sawnd file
https://mega.nz/# (https://mega.nz/#)!qIMEUIjQ!DbaTMB_22hORrE8arjwg6hjESreTniQR6jKWKv32eLA
- Sawndz and Super Sawndz
- smashbros_sound.brsar, found in the Resources page at the top, go to the bottom of that page, 'Data Partition 2 (NTSC-U)', when you open the Google Drive thing, go to the 'sound' folder, and you should see it there.
- BrawlEx (Not... completely necessary, you can use codes, but I'm not too familiar with soundbank codes) (I'm also not going to explain how BrawlEx works here, this will assume you already know some of its intricacies, apologies for that.)
So this isn't really hard to do, per se, but it does take a long while if you want to do it properly.
First thing I usually do is just to edit my character's fighterconfig with the new sawnd hex ID I intend to use (These are also found in JOJI's site "SoundBank Expansion System ID List" on the sidebar). Like so~
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
Also, meet Cabbage, our test subject for today, hello Cabbage. I personally keep a notepad file for characters' SFX I have done so things don't conflict, may be a good idea if you plan on doing more than one sfx thing.
Afterward, make a new folder somewhere that you'll use to place this new characters sounds into, I also put two folders into this folder named 'se' and 'vc' (Sound effects and voices respectively) just to make things easier on myself later on-- fortunately for me, Cabbage doesn't need voice stuff so I can completely ignore that, although for most characters you would need both. I'll still note necessary voice stuff in the PSA portion.
should also make a text file in this folder too, this'll be used to note IDs of SFX
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
Now you'll need to open the smashbros_sound.brsar with BrawlBox, as well as your empty sfx text file, this is how I have it set up, just to give an idea.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
I'd also recommend inserting a premade sawnd for whatever character you're separating from to make life easier, however, you don't need to.
Also before actually starting you should make sure to insert that empty Snake sawnd '44.sawnd' in with Sawndz or Super Sawndz
Now since dear old Cabbage is an Ike clone, I'm going to go to his 'se' folder in the .brsar, just scroll down to whichever you need.
like so~
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
Right click a sound, and export (Or just Ctrl+E), you only really should do this for actual sound-sounds, so remember to give it a listen to see if it is actually something.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
Save in your 'se' folder, be sure to keep its name, as it'll again, make things easier later on. (there are some exceptions to this in some of the earlier characters like Link and Bowser... uhm... all I can really suggest is to rename them to the name of an empty sound slot)
After doing that, note down the ID of the sound effect (It's on the part to the right, under Misc>InfoIndex), as well as the name given.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
Keep doing this 'till you're done with that bit of it, then move onto the 'vc' portion, and do the same there.
...Along the road though you'll see these subfolders
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
What I like to do is just create a subfolder of the same name within the 'se' or 'vc' folder. Along with that, while noting SFX IDs and names I include that subfolder's name
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
I just separate into groups of four to make it easier on myself, you don't need to do this-- just write them as you think would be easiest for you.
Anyway, now that you've got all of your sounds...
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
(You'll probably have more sounds though, I also usually have a second section of these for 'vc' files for those that actually use that, so you should likely do that as well)
...what comes next is to convert to hex, you can use whatever method you want, but here, I'm going to use the windows calculator
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
This one, these are the settings that are needed as well.
All you do here is put the 'Old SFX ID number into the calculator as Dec, the change it over to Hex and it'll convert it for you, '5841' becomes '16D1', do this for all IDs
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
After this is done you get to create your new soundbank, yay! All you really need to do is 'change sound' (YES! Change Sound! Using Replace will crash BrawlBox!) of corresponding sound effects in Snake's soundbank, so I'd replace his 'dash/stop' with the one I had exported earlier.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
Don't bother noting these IDs, they're not the ones you need.
After you're done, save, close BrawlBox, Open Super Sawndz, scroll down to Snake (His Group ID is 44, anything else means you're on the wrong one), click Create Sawnd, and name it the sawnd ID you wrote down way back when, Here, I have it as 430.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
Remember to export twice! I don't know why, but there's a glitch where the filesize will inflate randomly the first time it's exported, exporting a second time fixes it.
Next up, going back to JOJI's site, and back to the ID list, scroll around 'till you find your character's IDs
Ah, there Cabbage's ID is.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
From here, you note down the IDs of those 'Internal Name' next to what you have written, like so.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
Remember! The top part of JOJI's list is for 'vc' portion, while the bottom part is for the 'se' portion, don't mix them up, otherwise things will get weird and you will need to redo a bunch.
Last stretch, all you need to do now is replace the old IDs in the PSA with the new ones
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
The reason I'm using PSA Compressor for this though, is to change misc SFX
Found here~
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
...You'll have actual IDs in these lists, but I've just nulled them since Cabbage doesn't talk too much, you'll find things like crowd call, KO sounds and such here though.
Now if all has gone well, you'll have a new working soundbank, yay!
Example~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D1w8o6dIgY (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D1w8o6dIgY)
...This isn't Cabbage, but Lucina was done beforehand, so.
And a bit of an addendum, don't forget to go into the 'ouen' subfolder in 'vc' folder of the .brsar for the ID of a crowdcall!
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
Use whatever you think would fit for the crowd call, or simply grab this ID so you can null it in PSA or somethin'... i usually just like, use of the generic crowd sounds for these separated characters though and put that into empty sound slot. *shrug* They're found in 'se>Audience'
Uhm... I hope that people are able to follow this at all, haha, sorry again if it's hard to do so.
Update! Right at the end of the first post!
So it's entirely possible to mass replace sounds if you're lazy or just don't want to take hours replacing SFX IDs or what have you, you still should check it all out to make sure after this, but uh... should save a lot of time.
In a hex editor like HxD, open the 'Replace' function, set Datatype to Hex-values, Search direction to All, and for both 'Search for' and 'Replace with' add three sets of four zeros, so like '0000 0000 0000', the last four numbers are your Old and New SFX IDs, respectively, if you've only three digits for an Old ID, add a 0 in front of it, so 233 would be 0233 for example. Afterwards, hit replace all
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
Do this for all of your SFX IDs, aaaaand sorta done. This doesn't do things like KO voices and crowd calls, but it should save uh... i dunno, two or so hours if it's done right, the point of all the zeros is so it has a lot more probability to only replace SFX IDs and not everything in the moveset-- trust me, it's a little more annoying sure, but a lot less chance for the thing to be a mess.
Thanks for the tutorial. It's pretty handy! Does it work for both Project M and vanilla Brawl? Or does it just work for vanilla Brawl?
Please disregard the crossed out statements. After looking at the video you provided, it appears that this works with Project M. I just got ahead of myself.
Well, the way I do so is just by keeping my own code list with and older version of code manager.
https://mega.nz/#!SNMQRJ4Q!BtXBLu36mb2TnFO1o0uDwd0ZscJJLiH8bN6bi4XcPWY
If you mean like, adding onto another code list, apparently a code fusioniser thing exists, but I know nothing about that.
FYI, I'm fairly confident that SoundBank Expansion System (RSBE.Ver) [JOJI] depends on smashbros_sound.brsar to be at a certain offset on Brawl's ISO. The code won't work for people who recompile their ISO with WIT from an extracted filesystem or use working around Brawlex's Final Smash Music glitch (http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=65113.msg1358699#msg1358699). I plan to write up my test cases later and send them to JOJI (once I figure out the best way to contact him).
Uhhhh... may be a bit of a dumb question-- but what is WIT? I can't say I've heard of it.
Speaking of JOJI's code, there's a bit of a game-breaking flaw with it. If you use an Expansion SFX ID for a Fighter's Blast Zone KO cries, the game will crash upon being Kirbycided/Dededecided.
Codes (no KC-MM nor SmashBoards profile) has came up with a fix for said issue, but due to JOJI's policy on wanting permission to distribute codes, Codes has sent him a PM with the fix. Though so far, there's been no reply from JOJI.
I scrapped my convenient WIT setup and made sure smashbros_sound.brsar was at the proper offset. JOJI's codes now work. Looks like it's back to WIIScrubber :'(
Slightly off topic, nice job on Robin's moveset Lillith! I tweaked his animations so default Marth imports look normal when using the moveset. I like model imports.
I can't insert .sawnd files into .brsar files using Super Sawndz, including the 44.sawnd. When I try to insert, the box on the left side of the Super Sawndz window says, "Error Opening brsar file: " and then it says the path to the .brsar file I opened, then, "Permission denied". The .brsar file isn't modified. What does it mean, "Permission denied"? That doesn't make any sense! How do I get the 44.sawnd file to insert?
I think that error pops up if you also have brsar open with another file at the same time, like if you open it with BrawlBox after opening Super Sawndz or something.
Even if the .brsar is only open in Super Sawndz, that error still pops up. I tried restarting my computer, and that didn't help at all.
Really? Hm... That's unfortunate, currently I can't really look into it since the PC I worked on stuff with is dead though, sorry about that.
I figured out why Super Sawndz wasn't working properly. It's because the .brsar file was set to read only. Unsetting the read only status made the .sawnd file insert.
Oh, really? Good to see that you got that working properly, congrats, haha.
NECROPOST TIME.
ahem. A bit of an update for mass replacing sounds, written right at the end of the first post.