What do you find good in a stage hack?

Started by ForOhFor Error, August 09, 2012, 09:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

What do you tend to enjoy in stage hacks? Why do you download them? What are some of your favorite stage hacks?

Discuss.

FC: 2191-7379-6272


Backgrounds. I love backgrounds.

I think the main stage is important, but what I really like is when there's enough stuff in the background to distract you and make you think "holy [censored] that's awesome" and get yourself killed.

Not a distracting background, per se, but when there are little details that bring it together, like clouds flashing when lightning strikes or when whatever is in the background is animated in a captivating manner.

What I don't like is when things are plopped in the background without any rhyme or reason to their placement. Usually Pokemon.

I like quality textures and lighting. A stage can look amazing with awesome models and whatnot but if you don't have the lighting to bring it to life it'll always seem sort of cheap. Then there are things like rain (subtle rain is best in my opinion.) that look good and don't really change gameplay. But if you have the rain falling, the lighting perfect, a cloudy night sky, and great detail well... It is incredible.
Young Link recently broke 3000 downloads. If you haven't already, Check it out!

Recently released: Sacred/Fusion Dark Interloper Link.

What ever happened to Tifa?



The stage layout has to be fun to play on. I don't mind "flat" stages but if their is a non-flat alternative I usually end up using that. I don't just mean throwing in some random floating platforms either, I prefer if platforms or other layout changes were added in as a natural extension of the stage itself.

With that said, the stage itself has to be cohesive. A well made stage is one where all the parts come together as a whole and if something is off, like a model is shaded different from the rest or some textures don't match then it ruins a stage for me.


Some of my favorite stages are Robzdablades KC:MM City, BPs Osohe Castle, CutterKirbys Doughnut Plains, and ItalianStallions Cool Cool Mountain to name a few.



I generally prefer flat grounds but having a few platforms is cool too. It's mostly the theme I enjoy though.
Some stages I continue to play on are Oizen's Aquatic Mine, Robz' Castlevania stage, and dRage's Great Desert.