Brawlbox Resources & History

Started by BlackJax96, December 14, 2010, 03:39:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

this error also happens if I edit the shaders. I open in your modset but doesnt in others. as long it works in brawl, I think its ok


http://sonicbattlex.topgoo.net/forum
Join if youre a sonic fan!

that reminds me...

hey BJ...
have you found any new node structures yet??

hopefully you have, as I havn't T_T

[spoiler]Quote: Friedslick6
you have been through a lot of hassle. I've watched every topic you posted on this, and most of them seemed to disintegrate gradually.
But the coolest part was that you didn't stop working on it despite that.

Quote: Internet Explorer
you're doing more with your life right now than probably most other people around you. You're a valuable asset to the Smash community. So yeah, you should be proud.

quote: Greg
You do have a gift which I've seen many developers use to their advantage. You can become a great coder, and with all of those ideas I think you can really build something great.

August 01, 2011, 08:40:18 PM #2372 Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 08:41:53 PM by BlackJax96
Quote from: Tcll on August 01, 2011, 07:40:35 PM
that reminds me...

hey BJ...
have you found any new node structures yet??

hopefully you have, as I havn't T_T

No, but I'll assume you haven't seen this already:
http://lsteam.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=help&action=display&thread=67

It looks like the third command (not counting the start, 61 FE FF FF F0) in the first structure of a shader/materialnode controls how lighting affects the assigned materials.
08FFF8 is what Eye materials use, and apparently it nulls the shadowing (not literally the normals).

Quote from: BlackJax96 on August 01, 2011, 06:41:43 PMExport that MDL0 from the pac/brres file with my modset and then export the same MDL0 from the same pac/brres with another Brawlbox and then compare the differences in a hex editor. I'm guessing the texture relocation groups weren't edited properly. I don't see why there would be errors when it's using the same method to export as the old Brawlbox though. It should be fine when the model rebuilder is working in Modset 2.

Well,
I notice some different numbers in hex editor.

Quote from: BlackJax96 on August 01, 2011, 08:40:18 PMNo, but I'll assume you haven't seen this already: http://lsteam.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=help&action=display&thread=67 It looks like the third command (not counting the start, 61 FE FF FF F0) in the first structure of a shader/materialnode controls how lighting affects the assigned materials. 08FFF8 is what Eye materials use, and apparently it nulls the shadowing (not literally the normals).
hmm... interesting O.O

I will look more into that >_>
so the first structure MUST be the material node...

but IDK yet...
I'll make that assumption after I gain knowledge about it's inner workings :P

thanx for that :D

btw, have you read up on my new project??
(first version's still not going to work with CI4 or CI8 yet)
I'll try to implement the extractor w/in it... *adds to future plans*

[spoiler]Quote: Friedslick6
you have been through a lot of hassle. I've watched every topic you posted on this, and most of them seemed to disintegrate gradually.
But the coolest part was that you didn't stop working on it despite that.

Quote: Internet Explorer
you're doing more with your life right now than probably most other people around you. You're a valuable asset to the Smash community. So yeah, you should be proud.

quote: Greg
You do have a gift which I've seen many developers use to their advantage. You can become a great coder, and with all of those ideas I think you can really build something great.

sry for dbl-post (PS3 character limit)

but I've figured out the basic structure of how to define the node structure from the TEV's

Node structure
-first function
--value1
--value2
-second function
--value3
--value4
--value5
-third function
--value6
--value7

basically, the above defines a single node structure from the TEV
where the values above are the BP commands in the TEV,
and the functions above would be the set values for the node

complicated yes, and better to explain using an image...
lemme know if you need one ;)

[spoiler]Quote: Friedslick6
you have been through a lot of hassle. I've watched every topic you posted on this, and most of them seemed to disintegrate gradually.
But the coolest part was that you didn't stop working on it despite that.

Quote: Internet Explorer
you're doing more with your life right now than probably most other people around you. You're a valuable asset to the Smash community. So yeah, you should be proud.

quote: Greg
You do have a gift which I've seen many developers use to their advantage. You can become a great coder, and with all of those ideas I think you can really build something great.

Woopwoop.

This is my encouragement for the evening.

August 02, 2011, 09:18:21 AM #2377 Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 09:24:23 AM by Justin712
Alright, sorry if this is a bit off-topic at this point, but the tutorial's done. Here's a couple of my personal tips for rigging a character. Again, if you need to get a better view of anything just copy the image location and paste it in your browser or right click the image and click "view image".

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Next, you're going to select your character and add the skin modifier to it. If your character is made up of separate objects, add the skin modifier to each of the objects. Remember, once you rig your character you can no longer edit the mesh. Doing so will cause all of your bone influences to be set to 0 in most cases, meaning all of your work will be reset. (Heck, even once during this tutorial I did this by accident and ended up having to redo an arm. This is why you should SAVE OFTEN!) Next, you're going to go into your skin modifier and add every single bone in the scene to the list, so that every bone influences your mesh. If you try to move the skeleton at this point, you will notice that it may work relatively well, but there might be some vertices left behind, strange deformations (especially in the arms and legs), or bones affecting vertices they aren't supposed to. This is where the main bulk of the work comes from - weighting the mesh. The first thing you're going to want to do is shift your focus to one area of the model at a time. I started with the head.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Here we see that there's some vertex stretching on the back of the head. To fix this, we have to make sure that these vertices are 100% weighted to the head bone. This will not always be the case, as you will see for the arms, which has varying influences throughout. For now let's fix the head.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

With the Envelope subtab selected under the Skin modifier, you will notice a box labeled Select at the right of the screen. Check the "Vertices" box, as seen at the right side of the picture above. This will allow you to select the vertices of the mesh individually, so that you can begin weighting them. You'll probably always want to have this box checked. Next, select the problem vertices. Now open up the weight tool by clicking the wrench, as indicated in this picture:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Since these vertices are only supposed to be affected by the head bone, we select the head bone (or in my case Bone04) in the list at the side and we click the square labeled "1" to set the weight to it's maximum of "1.0". (Notice those 2 pairs of "+" and "-" buttons? The top pair is going to be your most useful tool for tweaking the influence of the bones, specifically for the limbs.)
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Now that we've done that, no matter how much the other bones move, these vertices will not be affected by anything but the movement of our head bone. That was easy!  ;) The real challenge comes from tweaking the other bones (mainly the spine and the limbs) to deform naturally. Now that you know the basics of what it is we're doin', next I'm going to show you the basics of weighting an elbow, as well as show you some problems to look out for during the process.
First off, bend the arm at the elbow.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Notice how the arm's width on my model is smaller now that I bent the elbow? This deformation is exactly what we need to fix if we want natural looking animations. Remember that pair of "+" and "-" buttons I talked about? Well these are going to be crucial for making this elbow bend correctly. (It probably would have been better if I made a video for this part, but I'll try to keep this moving along as best as I can.) As a general rule, the vertices the elbow will be bending at are going to be weighted heavily to the upper arm bone so that they do not move with the forearm bone. Depending on your character's proportions, this might cause some clipping, but this can either be completely fixed through some tweaking or at the very least it'll look a lot better than the arm caving in on itself. The vertices on the opposite side of "the bending edge" are the ones that will receive a mixed influence of the two bones so that the width is maintained. (In other words, the vertices towards the back of the elbow will be split between the two bones, while the vertices towards the front of the elbow will move as little as possible by being attached to the forearm only.) It's not as hard as you might think, but it does take a lot of patience, and you do sort of have to eyeball it. Here's what you're aiming for:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Again, those vertices towards the right of the screen are the ones that have close to 0.5 influence for the two bones, but the influence of the forearm gradients out as it gets towards the vertices at the bend.

You should see very little change in size as you bend the elbow back and forth. The legs are generally the same, but since they are usually close together, one leg's bones may affect the other leg as well. To fix this, you simply have to set the influence of the opposing leg to 0 for each.
(That'll probably make a lot more sense when you see it happen :laugh:)

The spine is generally very straight forward, and I doubt you'll have much trouble with it, as compared to the limbs. When you think you are finished, it is important to drag the root bone (or the bone that has influence over everything, usually located near the pelvis) pretty far in one direction to make sure there are no vertices that are not assigned to a bone.

Finally, it's important that you put your character in a lot of extreme poses to see where the rig doesn't hold up. Since you're reading this you're probably the rigger as well as the animator, and it's important you know that your animations will not be as fluid as you want if you're always having to animate around the problems with your rig. If you're importing your character over an existing brawl fighter then this is especially true since the characters have already been animated without the weaknesses of your rig being considered, so be patient and be thorough.

Good luck!


This tutorial isn't as thorough or as beginner-friendly as I would like, so if you have any questions or anything is unclear, be sure to let me know, and I'll add on to it a bit. :D
If you've got a minute, check out my portfolio!
I'm always lookin' for fun projects to do, so if you think you'd want my help, just let me know!
I do all of my own modeling, texturing, rigging, and animating.

That's a nice tutorial, mind explaining to me how to get a boneset from brawl into 3DS max? XD

Should be a quick one if you ask me, but I'd honestly rather have brawl bones lol

@Justin712:
you should do an new topic about this tutorial. It would be sad if it would like be unseen.


http://sonicbattlex.topgoo.net/forum
Join if youre a sonic fan!

Nice tutorial Justin, I'll definitely use it to rig my models ;D (I only have some experience rigging models, not a lot) Although I agree with K-Canon, you should definitely make a new topic for it in the Tutorials sub forum of Help. You also might want to include the part below that I'm telling NZM on how to get an MDL0 bone tree in 3ds Max.

Quote from: NaruZeldaMaster on August 02, 2011, 01:00:41 PM
That's a nice tutorial, mind explaining to me how to get a boneset from brawl into 3DS max? XD

Should be a quick one if you ask me, but I'd honestly rather have brawl bones lol

Use AiS to convert the model to DAE or export the model from Brawlbox v0.64 (any version) to DAE. Then import that DAE into 3ds Max.

If you used Brawlbox, the mesh will probably be messed up, so just delete any stray polygons that were created.

If you used AiS, do NOT use Mariokart64n's Brawl script to fix the model.
Instead, press H to show everything in the scene. Select everything that isn't the bone tree and click select. Then, press delete.

There you go, an MDL0 bone tree in 3ds Max.

that sounds nearly 3 times as complicated as getting a bone tree in blender24 >_>
(havn't been successful with blender25)

simply import an AIS export with the 140 importer

all you get is the rig, but it doesn't work for all MDL0's >_>

use the 141 importer on the AIS export to get a model
(you'll need to edit the triangles using a Wills export before importing)

so far the only char that works with this is Pika
(out of 6 tested characters)

[spoiler]Quote: Friedslick6
you have been through a lot of hassle. I've watched every topic you posted on this, and most of them seemed to disintegrate gradually.
But the coolest part was that you didn't stop working on it despite that.

Quote: Internet Explorer
you're doing more with your life right now than probably most other people around you. You're a valuable asset to the Smash community. So yeah, you should be proud.

quote: Greg
You do have a gift which I've seen many developers use to their advantage. You can become a great coder, and with all of those ideas I think you can really build something great.

It really isn't. The only extra step BlackJax mentioned was deleting the mesh that gets imported from the DAE as well.
If you've got a minute, check out my portfolio!
I'm always lookin' for fun projects to do, so if you think you'd want my help, just let me know!
I do all of my own modeling, texturing, rigging, and animating.

Tcll just wants to boycott 3DS Max, so he's making things up. ;P

Jokes, jokes.

I also don't like 3DS max

[PICTURES REMOVED. Reason: Total signature pic size exceeds 695x200.]
This is how I hack
Old Avatars:
http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?ByUserID=4969&Moderated=All