Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Two questions in regards to CSPs and such {ANSWERED]  (Read 3682 times)
(specter)
Holy Kitten

• Awards KCMM Veteran Heart Container Active Contributor

• View Profile Awards
    « on: January 25, 2011, 08:23:29 PM »

-Why do we need to index our CSPs and such? What happens if we don't?

-Is it ok if I start using TarGa files now instead of PNG? What is the RLE compression thing that GIMP asks me to do, and what should I have it set as? It's set to "Bottom Left" by default, but I have no idea what that is.
    « Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 05:00:31 PM by (specter) » Logged

Miniova
    Extreme Kitten

Real life strikes again!

• Awards Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 03:11:31 AM »

1.  That just the way that format is when it's compressed into the .pac  One of the two files you can use gives you no limit to the space it can be... I forgot which one it was, but if your using that one for your csp's, you can click recommended settings and it will make the csp's look a whole lot better.
    2.  Yea you can use targa files.  It won't matter as long as it is a picture file. not sure what the RLE compression thing is because I use photoshop.

People if you have anything you need to ask me(especially the katana ness thing) please talk to me over AIM. I'll be more than happy.  AIM is Gradybryson1993

Chaoszard
    Extreme Kitten

Everyone have a dark side.

• Awards Sniper Warm Welcomer Concerned Elector Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 05:57:26 AM »

Targa pictures are perfectly working (with me) and about the compression thing i don't select it, i let the default parameters.

No more into brawl hacking as long as Fighter.pac remains not editable, also i don't have time for that anymore for the moment.
    PSA/Moveset HERE : http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=41974.0
    STAGES HERE : http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=60399.0

mnsg
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Star Hacker >9000 Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 07:22:06 AM »

What RLE Compression does is compress the TarGA image to reduce memory.

A 256x256 pixel TarGA image with an Alpha Layer uses 256 KB when it's not compressed.  With RLE Compression, it'll use less memory, depending on the image's quality.

(specter)
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 11:59:31 AM »

What RLE Compression does is compress the TarGA image to reduce memory.

A 256x256 pixel TarGA image with an Alpha Layer uses 256 KB when it's not compressed.  With RLE Compression, it'll use less memory, depending on the image's quality.

Ok so when GIMP brings it up before I save, I should leave RLE checked and the compression at "Bottom Left"?

Also, do I really have to index all images I put in my common5.pac? It makes them look so crappy. I always thought I had to index because it reduced space taken up in sc_selcharacter, but I use common5.pac now which has no limit.
    « Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 12:00:41 PM by (specter) » Logged

Miniova
    Extreme Kitten

Real life strikes again!

• Awards Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 03:27:53 PM »

Also, do I really have to index all images I put in my common5.pac? It makes them look so crappy. I always thought I had to index because it reduced space taken up in sc_selcharacter, but I use common5.pac now which has no limit.
    Did you even read my post?

People if you have anything you need to ask me(especially the katana ness thing) please talk to me over AIM. I'll be more than happy.  AIM is Gradybryson1993

(specter)
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 03:35:16 PM »

Did you even read my post?

Yes.

Miniova
    Extreme Kitten

Real life strikes again!

• Awards Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 03:47:14 PM »

Well yea then...  when you import it into brawlbox you don't have to have an ugly indexed picture.... Just click recommended settings and your good

(specter)
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 03:50:04 PM »

Well yea then...  when you import it into brawlbox you don't have to have an ugly indexed picture.... Just click recommended settings and your good

So this whole time I never had to use GIMP to index my images because BB does that for you? Wtf, All is Brawl! >_> Only reason I always indexed because a guide on All is Brawl had it in like super important caps and red text.

Miniova
    Extreme Kitten

Real life strikes again!

• Awards Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 04:06:03 PM »

You mean you didn't know?

(specter)
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 04:08:02 PM »

You mean you didn't know?

Because when I read All is Brawl's guide on how to make CSPs, one part of the guide they said always index your images, so.

Edit: Ok I used "recommend" and it made it RGB5A3. But what about the CI8 format? Doesn't space not matter in common5?
    « Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 04:27:09 PM by (specter) » Logged

Miniova
    Extreme Kitten

Real life strikes again!

• Awards Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 04:43:53 PM »

I think it was the other file where space doesn't matter but you can go ahead and try it.

(specter)
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 04:51:03 PM »

I think it was the other file where space doesn't matter but you can go ahead and try it.

sc_selcharacter.pac = 3.79 MB is the limit.
    common5.pac - No limit.

Miniova
    Extreme Kitten

Real life strikes again!

• Awards Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 04:54:08 PM »

Ok thank you for clarifying that for me.  But you you can just click recommended settings on it and you're good to go.

(specter)
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 05:01:19 PM »

Ok thank you for clarifying that for me.  But you you can just click recommended settings on it and you're good to go.

No problem and thanks for informing me of the "Recommend" button -- I always thought it was just saying it recommends the "Preview" is always checked since it was right next to that.

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: