Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Velen's Quick Guide to HD Texture Making.  (Read 2984 times)
Velen
Resident Lucario
Boss Kitten

Insert totally self gratifying [censored] here. ; )

• Awards Famous Hacker Sniper Heart Container Ceiling Cat

• View Profile Awards
    « on: March 11, 2012, 10:20:55 AM »

Being someone who has used Photoshop for years, I know the ins and outs of the program to a great extent, and I have also made many textures (one of which happened to take 100 layers( and there are more I have not released), so I also happen to know quite a bit about texture making. I am going to talk about HD Textures.

HD, or "High-Definition" as it's name implies, means that the details on the screen are rather crisp and clear, and in some cases, very plain to see. A lot of video games on consoles like the 360 and PS3 have what fans call "HD Textures". However, it seems to me, upon past observation of many "HD" textures, they are pretty much nothing more than masses of high contrast shading.

These are the rules I follow for HD Textures:

1. Subtlety in Shading is Key.
    2. Layer Styles are Your Friend.
    3. Fine Details are the Top Priority.

Explaining each rule:

1. Subtlety in Shading is Key: Most textures you find on models from HD Consoles will have an amazing lack of highly defined, high contrast shading of any kind. The reason for this -believe it or not- serves a purpose for the game. Shaders are the main source of shading on models, making the need for high contrast shading more like a waste of bytes; So, because of this, subtle shading is key on an HD texture, so that the texture doesn't try to stand out by it's shading alone, which is a no-no if you want good quality.

2.Layer Styles are your friend:
    Layer Styles are an amazing, and helpful tool in Photoshop for a variety of reasons. The most prominent I can mention is that they make the shading of metal much easier for beginners, as well as provide ways to add depth and patterns to something without having to go through painstakingly long steps to make them part of the texture. Layer Styles are a prominent part of the HD texture making process, and don't let anybody tell you any different (that is of course unless there really is no need for them if you can do all the tough details yourself.)

3.Fine Details are the Top Priority:
    As High Definition means "highly defined", highly defined details -where needed- are key to an HD texture. On metal for example, while it is indeed a smooth type of object most of the time, it has visible grain in it most of the time (or a tv noise look to it). It doesn't matter what kind of material is on a character, there are fine details that can be added to define the texture without resorting to highly contrasty shading. Too much fine detail will make the texture look cluttered and ugly, whereas high contrast will make the image too bright and dark, and ugly.

In short, the key in making an HD texture is a balance of subtle shading and fine details.

To give an example. Look at the following rendering of Metal Sonic from Sonic Generations. I put it in URL form due to it's large size.

Click Here.

Note the fine details of the metal on Metal Sonic's head. While the cause of the shading is not the textures themselves for the most part, look at how subtle the shading is, not too contrasty or too bright. This is what High Definition is: being subtle in shading, and presenting fine details, without going too overboard with it in either extreme.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Discuss if you like.
    « Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 06:47:34 PM by Velen » Logged

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6640-9302

Dr.
    Hyper Kitten

Hi stranger, you look good ;D

• Awards Featured Fiery Topic Dedicated Hacker Ceiling Cat

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 04:07:38 PM »

This guide... *saves to favorites*
    *remembers he already saved the one at LST*... just in case.

Albafika
    Anti-Christ
    Administrator

• Awards Epic Restorer Super Saiyan Topic Star Hacker PC Core Gamer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 02:26:33 PM »

Hmm. I'm not sure what to think. You should actually take your time to learn how to make the HD textures you claimed you knew how to make before making a guide explaining how to make them, y'know?

SiLeNtDo0m
    Suffering from Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
    Overlord Kitten

WHAT IN TARNATION?!

• Awards Former PMDT Featured Heart Container >9000

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 04:43:11 PM »

Hmm. I'm not sure what to think. You should actually take your time to learn how to make the HD textures you claimed you knew how to make before making a guide explaining how to make them, y'know?

Except he has.  His custom title isn't "The Talented Texturizer" for nothing.

PAVGN
    Holy Kitten

The bitter old man everybody hates.

• Awards Stack Smash Team Hot Topic Favorite'd Pin Collector

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 05:22:53 PM »

Except he has.  His custom title isn't "The Talented Texturizer" for nothing.

Except he hasn't. He's made 4 not very good texture hacks and the rest are all recolors.

http://filesmelt.com/dl/[censored]y.png
    [PICTURE REMOVED. Reason: Total signature pic size exceeds 695x200.]

SSJ Is Clueless!
    Heroic Kitten

Hey look it's a-a.... i...i...don't.....know....

• Awards Texture Artist Heart Container Dedicated Hacker Pin Collector

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 05:25:46 PM »

yah photoshop *high fives*

i know alot to

nice guide

i made a brawl styled texture tutorial and hopefully with yours and mine hacks will get much better
    « Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 05:26:41 PM by -SSJ gogeta- » Logged

SSJ - The guy that can, but won't.

Velen
    Resident Lucario
    Boss Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 06:28:37 PM »

Except he hasn't. He's made 4 not very good texture hacks and the rest are all recolors.

*Ahem*

-and by what do you judge them to not be very good? Granted, they are old and dated, but not very good?

It's still a work in progress. I haven't even gotten to the Fine Details stage yet.

EDIT: Updated the OP with the Metal Sonic render example.
    « Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 07:01:11 PM by Velen » Logged

nanobuds
    Overlord Kitten

• Awards Former PMDT Sniper Diamond in the Rough >9000

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 06:59:36 PM »

<3

Velen
    Resident Lucario
    Boss Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 07:02:25 PM »

<3

I'll be editing and testing the Ref and Specular textures too in-game, to see if I can get it the way I want it.

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: