Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Skin Wrap, save time when adding objects  (Read 2160 times)
Iwvi
Cronic Procrastinator
Heroic Kitten

Temporarily retired

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Fiery Topic Renowned Hacker Star Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « on: July 05, 2012, 12:59:30 AM »

Hi everyone. I'm writting this tutorial to see if it helps someone. I have not seen if it is done already or not but here it is. This tutorial is about the "Skin Wrap" modifier.

Skin Wrap: Its a modyfier used to adjust an object to the deformations of another. If for example, I had shirt and wanted it to adjust to an already rigged body, I would use skin wrap over the shirt and make it follow the body. The good thing about Skin Wrap is that it has the option to convert it to Skin.

It is really simple and saves a lot of time. I´ll explain it by adding the waist thing from Ezio to Toon Link.

So in this case, first you need to align the object to where you want it. It has to be over an already rigged object.

Now, we scroll on the modyfier menu and add a Skin Wrap modyfier. Under Parameters, you'll see the "Add" button. Clic it and then clic the object you  want to follow. In this case I'll clic on T links body.

As easy as that. Test it and see if it works. Here is how the morphs resulted:

Now scroll down on the skin wrap options and find the one called "Convert to skin"

After you click, it will create a skin modyfier on top of your skin wrap. Just delete skin wrap and leave the skin modyfier.

It should have a working skin modyfier now. Easy as that. You may need to adjust stuff a little bit so that the objects don't go trough each other. In this case it worked flawlessly. I just deleted  Toon links body underneat the waist thingy. It can be imported into Brawlbox as any mesh would.

Notes:
    -The images where you see him bending are just for demonstration. You should have it in the initial position when adding the Skin Wrap and when converting it to Skin.

-If you want to delete the model underneath the object, do it after you did the Skin wrap conversion to skin. If done before creating the skin wrap it would not work because it will have nothing to follow.

-If deleting something after it has been rigged you should uncheck "Always deform" on advanced parameters for the skin modyfier of the object you are deleting or modyfing.
    -I want a Sandwich
    -Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier
    -I am no real super sand

This will be useful for those who have models that have many layers of objects or want to add something to an already rigged model. Hope it helps someone.
    « Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 08:19:48 PM by Iwvi » Logged

nanobuds
    Overlord Kitten

• Awards Former PMDT Sniper Diamond in the Rough >9000

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 09:02:26 AM »

oooh, this is great. Thanks!!

Dr.
    Hyper Kitten

Hi stranger, you look good ;D

• Awards Featured Fiery Topic Dedicated Hacker Ceiling Cat

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 12:15:00 PM »

O_O, ... THIS IS... just what I needed!!! *favorites*
    Thanks a lot!!!

do you have any other 3ds max tips and bits that you could post in another tutorial?...

Iwvi
    Cronic Procrastinator
    Heroic Kitten

Temporarily retired

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Fiery Topic Renowned Hacker Star Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 12:41:06 PM »

Not  any that are not posted already. This was something I discovered by accident on the net, and tried to see if it worked for brawl rigging. It helps to hasten the process of some riggs. Most of the time you'll need to adjust things a bit after creating the skin. Only a few times will you have the luck to get it working without doing anything Tongue

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: