Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Quick Simple Questions  (Read 2895 times)
Zemious
Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
« on: October 02, 2012, 03:06:18 PM »

How many Vertices and Triangles are allowed? More specifically, for each character? Is there a list?
Does the brawl engine like anything other than diffuse maps? ie, Specular, Normal (bump), emissive?

I'm not new to modeling, although I can't find a template or anything for modeling for brawl so I'd be modeling blind.

Spex130
Holy Kitten

So very Spexcellent.

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Starstormer Hyperactive Contributor Renowned Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 03:24:59 PM »

How many Vertices and Triangles are allowed? More specifically, for each character? Is there a list?
    Does the brawl engine like anything other than diffuse maps? ie, Specular, Normal (bump), emissive?

I'm not new to modeling, although I can't find a template or anything for modeling for brawl so I'd be modeling blind.

I'm not sure on the amount of Triangles/Verts necessary. I've never encountered it. There is a file-size limit that differs per-file-per-character, though:

http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=5876.0

It'd be a good start to shoot around those sizes.

The materials Brawl uses that I can confirm are diffuse, specular, and bump. I think. You might wanna shoot a PM to BlackJax96. He maintains and codes BrawlBox at the moment, so he'd be able to answer with 100% certainty.

On the topic of materials though, Brawl has an engine different than any other 3D modeling program. Things like diffuse, specular, bump, etc, all need to be applied in Brawlbox, because they won't be imported with the DAE.

EDIT: Also, just so you know for next time, this topic would go in the Model Help section. It's a sub-branch of this Model Importing one.
    « Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 03:26:09 PM by Spex130 » Logged

SuperBarrio
    Expert Kitten

It's a Me, Barrio!

• Awards Boygos Certified: Pokemon Master

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 03:31:52 AM »

Sorry to bump this - but I found that Xbox 360 portal robots lagged the game at 25,000 -and I think he average is 8 to 10 thousand.

I could be wrong, but these are he numbers in my head.

There is no hard limit, but the game will lag if it gets to be too much.

The wii only supports one level of textures so bump is out, and I belive any shine you see is a material/shader - so specular mapping wont work.

I had trouble toying with it at first, but the key is to reign your models in a bit, and you shouldnt have much problem.

Vertexing my way throguh Nintendo's B list - One failure at a time.

Gamma Ridley
    ~Mercenary~
    Boss Kitten

• Awards Featured Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Famous Hacker

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 09:12:23 PM »

The wii only supports one level of textures so bump is out, and I belive any shine you see is a material/shader - so specular mapping wont work.

... wait what? That's incorrect. Brawl itself uses specular and diffuse maps, while Other M uses bump and normal maps. And those are just two examples, I'm sure there are more.

Now, whether or not you can get the materials to look good in Brawl is a whole 'nother can of worms, since Brawl runs on a different engine than, say, Other M or MvC3.

SuperBarrio
    Expert Kitten

It's a Me, Barrio!

• Awards Boygos Certified: Pokemon Master

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 02:13:54 AM »

Ah, then I stand corrected! The level of texture thing is something one of my producers told me, though to be fair she is often wrong about everything.

...Time for me to play with Specular maps!

Vertexing my way throguh Nintendo's B list - One failure at a time.

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: