Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2
Author Topic: Rigging Tricks (Attaching, Detaching, Importing) keeping rig.  (Read 4657 times)
Iwvi
Cronic Procrastinator
Heroic Kitten

Temporarily retired

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Fiery Topic Renowned Hacker Star Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « on: December 14, 2012, 01:38:40 AM »

Hi everyone,This tutorial will show a few rigging tricks that some may or may not know.
    Tricks:
    a)Readjusting Skin
    b)How to detach without losing rig
    c)How to attach without losing rig(I'll put this up later, since you'll most likely won't need this)
    d)How to move objects from one boneset to another (later, my method may not be the best,i´ll look it up)
    e)How to import an already rigged character, keeping the original rig. (later, this needs much more explanation)

a)Readjusting Skin:
    Sometimes the skin modyfier does not match with the current state of the scene. This causes that when importing to brawlbox the bones wil have the same position as in max but the model will keep the skins original pose.
    This you see in 3DS max:

This in brawlbox:

To see if it the skin was modyfied uncheck and check it (The light bulb next to skin modifier), you'll notice the movement.

now right click, copy the skin modyfier,

After copying, right clic, collapse all

paste the skin modyfier back, you'll notice it moves but in the opposite way.

Go down to advanced parameters (on the skin) and check and uncheck "Always deform"

As you can see, after importing to brawlbox  it is fixed, ignore textures, that'll be for the next trick.

b) how to detach without losing the rigg:
    As you can see the wolf is already rigged, but on brawlbox its textures are weird. This is cause everything is a single object and it needs to be detaching according to textures.
    To do this identify what uses different textures.
    The wolf uses 5:
    Body
    Earings
    Metal thingy
    Eyes
    Eyelid

This means it'll need to be detached accordingly.
    To do this, clone the main object. I name them to remember what I'm detaching. The main body object will be called "wolf".

I'll detach the metal bracelet first, so I'll name the clone metal. Be sure to set it as "copy".

On the Edit Mesh(or poly) of the metal object, I'll select everything but the metal bracelet(I'm selecting by object, can be done by faces as well) then press supr (that delete key).

Now the only thing remaining on the metal object is the metal bracelet.

Now you do the same but on the oppossite way, on the wolf object I'll delete only the bracelet.

Now there are two objects, and if I rotate the bone, both keep the rig.

This is an example of when it is done selecting faces. The eyelids where attached to his head.(It looks white cause in this image the view setting is in "Object color" not "material color", ignore this, it is only to show they where a single element, vertices where welded together and stuff but still used two textures)

Now the model should display properly on brawlbox

For now that'll be it. I'll add the other tricks here whenever I  have time. Good luck importing, any doubts I'll try to answer. Yoda speak FTW

Flygon
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Starstormer Heart Container Star Hacker Featured

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 09:16:07 PM »

Really nice tut, but keeping an already rigged model doesn't need much explanation.
    The attaching will be helpful like when I have many objects using the same textures, hope you can make it soon.

3DS: 3780-9595-2194 Tumblr: http://oktavia-von-sekendorff.tumblr.com

Iwvi
    Cronic Procrastinator
    Heroic Kitten

Temporarily retired

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 12:14:42 AM »

I'll make those after the 48 panic hack tourney ends. I'd need time for that Tongue. And it is true, it should not need too much explanation but since there are many issues that may arise depending on the model I'll try to cover some of them.

Ninka_kiwi
    Holy Kitten

Burn my Dread

• Awards 16-bit Core Gamer Super Saiyan Topic Starstormer Pin Collector

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 03:14:34 PM »

I can't wait to see the tutorial on keeping a characters rig that has already been rigged.

I feel like it's something simple, like renaming the bones to that of the character you are rigging too, but I haven't the slightest how it would work if that were not how you do it.

BlueBrain
    God Kitten

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Super Saiyan Topic >9000 Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 04:17:44 PM »

nothing to do with the tutorial, but is that wolf link part of any project?
    or just a example model...?

Pervyman Trigger
    The Perverted Protagonist
    Special Access

HO HEY

• Awards B Famous Hacker Super Saiyan Topic Cookie Clicker!?

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 04:44:38 PM »

The attaching will be nice o0o. That may be the only thing here i can't do o-o

Iwvi
    Cronic Procrastinator
    Heroic Kitten

Temporarily retired

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 08:18:53 PM »

Yes the wolf was a request by kienemaru, which I should have finished already, in fact about a week ago. I'll be off to finishing it, then maybe I'll make the attaching tutorial. The last one is actually really simple, I'm still thinking of a model to use as example. Is there any skyward link (the casual clothed one, not the green one) over link? It'd be a good example. I could even make a video, but I hate my recorded voice, so It'll probably be for reference only, I don't know Tongue

Ninka_kiwi
    Holy Kitten

Burn my Dread

• Awards 16-bit Core Gamer Super Saiyan Topic Starstormer Pin Collector

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 06:24:44 AM »

I feel like there was only an import of skyward sword Link's casual clothes on Pit, none on Link that I can recall...

SonicBrawler
    Magical Girl
    Overlord Kitten

Bae

• Awards Star Hacker Active Contributor Renowned Hacker Heart Container

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 08:28:35 AM »

I want to see C.

Quotes:
    Not all people have the luxury of being able to buy things whenever they want.

Some people are barely scraping by in the economy.
    Modding has made you guys so spoiled.

StupidMarioFan1
    Angel Kitten

Not as active as I used to be.

• Awards Star Hacker RAGE!! Super Saiyan Topic >9000

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 01:33:25 PM »

I know a way to import Brawl characters and keeping their rigs, you have to START UP a new 3ds Max scene, aka double clicking on the Shortcut, Desktop Icon, Taskbar Icon, a 3ds Max Scene, ect.
    Then click import dae, and the rig should be fine.
    You can have multiple 3ds Max scenes open, but you just have to start up a new one to import Brawl characters, UNLESS you have been using the one open for ONLY one scene. You can also import mutliple Brawl daes into one scene with non-glitched rigging. You can't click on Recent Documents either. Let me know if I worded this wrong and I'm confusing everyone on what I'm saying. Im srs here

I make YouTube videos, SM64 hacks, Brawl Hacks (obviously), NSMBW hacks, and GoldenEye 007 Mods. I also have a short attention span and tend to switch around a lot and put things on hold. But when I do finish things, 95% of the time I gave 120% effort, the other 5% of the time I give 100% effort.

Pervyman Trigger
    The Perverted Protagonist
    Special Access

HO HEY

• Awards B Famous Hacker Super Saiyan Topic Cookie Clicker!?

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 01:40:01 PM »

Hitting the reset button on that same scroll down menu does the same thing. so ya don't necessarily have to open a new max window

Iwvi
    Cronic Procrastinator
    Heroic Kitten

Temporarily retired

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 05:14:17 PM »

What I mean by the last thing is importing lets say a character from another game, into a brawl character but without having to rig it again (if it is already rigged of course). I have been kind of away from hacking lately, but I'll get the tutorials after new year celebration most likely.

nanobuds
    Overlord Kitten

• Awards Former PMDT Sniper Diamond in the Rough >9000

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 03:16:58 PM »

Is there a way to attach objects, and keep the rig?

I'm working on a model using Ivysaur's original rig. The head and legs aren't attached to the body. I want to combine them and make them the same object without losing the rig

Iwvi
    Cronic Procrastinator
    Heroic Kitten

Temporarily retired

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 02:23:32 AM »

Yes there is, I have no time to actually do the picture tutorial now. But you are a smart guy, so here is the basics in text: 
    The process goes as follows:

1.- Select the objects you want to Attach.
    2.- Clone the objects.
    3.- Isolate selection (just so you are left only with the objects you need)
    4.-Use the edit mesh "Attach" to attach all the objects (I'll call this object "whole")
    5.-Exit isolation
    6.-Add a Skin Wrap modifier to the "whole" object
    7.- Select [Add] on the skin wrap parameters, clic all the objects that make the "whole" object. They still should be there since you cloned  them before attaching.
    8.- Check the box that says Weight all points. Then clic, convert to skin.
    9.- Test it (Should work exactly as before)
    10.- If it worked, delete the skin wrap below the skin modifier and all the clones, leaving only the "whole" object.

BlueBrain
    God Kitten

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Super Saiyan Topic >9000 Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 04:22:59 AM »

Yes there is, I have no time to actually do the picture tutorial now. But you are a smart guy, so here is the basics in text: 
    The process goes as follows:

1.- Select the objects you want to Attach.
    2.- Clone the objects.
    3.- Isolate selection (just so you are left only with the objects you need)
    4.-Use the edit mesh "Attach" to attach all the objects (I'll call this object "whole")
    5.-Exit isolation
    6.-Add a Skin Wrap modifier to the "whole" object
    7.- Select [Add] on the skin wrap parameters, clic all the objects that make the "whole" object. They still should be there since you cloned  them before attaching.
    8.- Check the box that says Weight all points. Then clic, convert to skin.
    9.- Test it (Should work exactly as before)
    10.- If it worked, delete the skin wrap below the skin modifier and all the clones, leaving only the "whole" object.

interesting workaround sir, you impressed me.

Pages:  [1] 2
    Print
    Jump to: