Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Poll
Question: What do you think about this Koopa psa? Should I release it?
Yeah, sure.   - 18 (81.8%)
I would give a try. - 3 (13.6%)
The psa seems decent, but the character is not that interesting. - 0 (0%)
I like the character, but the psa is not what I expected. - 1 (4.5%)
No, I definitely don't care about this character neither any psa related to it. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages:  1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 21
Author Topic: Mortimer's Thread - Wandering  (Read 142756 times)
secretchaos1
Extreme Kitten

Well, I don't want to leave this blank

• Awards Star Hacker >9000 Featured Shadow the Pinhog

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #225 on: March 26, 2015, 02:25:38 PM »

Hey Mortimer, I've been play testing your Koopa a bit so I thought I'd give some feedback. Mind you I haven't really taken him into a multiplayer environment, just been playing around with how he works and I noticed a few bugs.

- His shading seems to be off in most stages (easily noticed in Final Destination and Battlefield)
    - His bullet bill's texture seems to map incorrectly
    - Any moves involving the shell on the rope seem to cause his eye texture to be entirely black
    - Sound effects loop after alt down smash
    - Alt down smash can 1hko? I was fighting Jigglypuff to test porting his gfx to a sse enemy for BrawlEx and upon being hit she disappeared and did one of those background ko's.
    - One of his victory stances seems bugged. He poses and then disappears into a green glowing light while jiggly's charging sfx endlessly loops (I'm still using the original sfx, not koopa's replaced ones). I'm thinking he's supposed to be spinning in his shell perhaps?

Other than that I'm enjoying the moveset quite a bit. I didn't know if I'd like the random moves so much at first but they seem to be infrequent enough to just be interesting little bonuses that happen from time to time. I sort of wish his up smash alt wasn't random just because of how awesome of a reference it is to Mario World, I feel like it deserves to be seen more often.

I've got a BrawlEx version of him setup to use Bubot's gfx instead of jigglypuff's as well, incase your interested in including that for BrawlEx users I could send it to you. He requires a FitPurinEntry.pac to work properly as well with Ex, otherwise the game silent crashes when loading a stage.

But yeah you've done a really good job with Koopa, I've said it before on your youtube preview but I really admire how you were able to make a simple character and make him so unique without straying too far from his source material. Love your work!

Mortimer
    Supreme Kitten

• Awards Dedicated Hacker Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Ninja

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #226 on: March 27, 2015, 10:54:11 AM »

The PSAs that are made of characters not very much known or with a not very big fanbase are often those I appreciate most. I like to have under-appreciated characters in my brawl. I was hyped for the primid psa that just disappeared. I also use some original fan creations, as long as they are very well made I enjoy having them in my brawl.

I see a lot of lack of appreciation from players that use psas from psa makers, which is sad. I look at a character mod/psa as a piece of artwork, having gone through a lot of work and a lot of phases to get where it's at.
    Honestly I actually watch the Ai fight against one another more than I play myself, simply because I can sit back and enjoy the work that was put into all those characters and getting to watch them go at it.

So as a player without the knowledge to make my own psas, I thank you for everything you psa creators are giving us Smiley

Be happy. You belong to a minority group. I didn't include a cpu version this time, watching the cpu using this must be frustrating. Maybe you should try to make a psa someday. If you like watching others' work, you probably would love seeing your own creation there.

Hey Mortimer, I've been play testing your Koopa a bit so I thought I'd give some feedback. Mind you I haven't really taken him into a multiplayer environment, just been playing around with how he works and I noticed a few bugs.

- His shading seems to be off in most stages (easily noticed in Final Destination and Battlefield)
    - His bullet bill's texture seems to map incorrectly
    - Any moves involving the shell on the rope seem to cause his eye texture to be entirely black
    - Sound effects loop after alt down smash
    - Alt down smash can 1hko? I was fighting Jigglypuff to test porting his gfx to a sse enemy for BrawlEx and upon being hit she disappeared and did one of those background ko's.
    - One of his victory stances seems bugged. He poses and then disappears into a green glowing light while jiggly's charging sfx endlessly loops (I'm still using the original sfx, not koopa's replaced ones). I'm thinking he's supposed to be spinning in his shell perhaps?

Other than that I'm enjoying the moveset quite a bit. I didn't know if I'd like the random moves so much at first but they seem to be infrequent enough to just be interesting little bonuses that happen from time to time. I sort of wish his up smash alt wasn't random just because of how awesome of a reference it is to Mario World, I feel like it deserves to be seen more often.

I've got a BrawlEx version of him setup to use Bubot's gfx instead of jigglypuff's as well, incase your interested in including that for BrawlEx users I could send it to you. He requires a FitPurinEntry.pac to work properly as well with Ex, otherwise the game silent crashes when loading a stage.

But yeah you've done a really good job with Koopa, I've said it before on your youtube preview but I really admire how you were able to make a simple character and make him so unique without straying too far from his source material. Love your work!

Shading is a problem since I imported this model. It was a lot worse before, but my lack of experience with shading didn't allow me to do better.
    Bullet bill is currently using a wrong texture format. I did that because the correct format uses a lot more space, and I didn't want to end the space I had. That can be fixed, but I think I'll have to get rid of the shine it has. I was going to mention this on the download description but I forgot.
    Eyes going black is something that didn't happen here. Not sure I can fix this.
    I replaced some looped sounds from jigglypuff with non-looped sounds. If you don't use the soundpack, you'll have problems.
    Alt down smash shouldn't do that. Did you notice if it was a really high damage or if it was just a very high knockback?
    I was going to add a green flash overlay there but also forgot that. But no, it's not bugged, I just ran out of ideas of what to do for a winning animation and that's the result. A music was supposed to play if in case you the soundpack.

I'm happy because you're the first person that finally understood the purpose of those alternate attacks. To me, they are happening too often, but if I lower chances, people complain they are impossible to make.

Would this brawlex slot be the reason of why you didn't the new sounds?

I remember you said that, but didn't notice the names.  Tongue Since you mentioned it, I managed to add the music box music, I had a lot more free space than I thought in sounds. I had to lower the quality a little, but it's not that bad in game. That's what was supposed to play during the victory animation you mentioned. Now I could have made the music box attack I wanted, but I already made the flute thing, so I'll leave it like that.

secretchaos1
    Extreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #227 on: March 27, 2015, 11:30:07 AM »

Yeah, the BrawlEx slot is the only reason I'm not using the soundpack. I'm trying to keep the original game as vanilla as I can while still adding in new content, and unfortunately setting up sfx over bosses and stuff isn't something I'm too knowledgable with.
    But that's okay, for now I can just tweak the sfx calls so they don't loop.

As for the alt down smash it was high knockback, it was like she just teleported off screen as soon as it connected. I haven't had it trigger again so I'm not sure if it was a one shot bug or if it's consistent.

I'll try putting the original moveset in again and see if the black eye glitch is still happening. Maybe I tweaked something by mistake, not sure.

zutox
    Supreme Kitten

• Awards Donator Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #228 on: March 27, 2015, 01:37:50 PM »

Well actually I have exportet the Ai file from all the original characters and then I will test them ONE BY ONE, on the custom characters until I find one that makes the cpu do quite well. It's all part of the fun I guess Tongue  A lot of the "low" tier custom characters turned high tier after changing their AI.  And I would love to learn to psa. Maybe someday..

You Never Know!

Mortimer
    Supreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #229 on: March 27, 2015, 05:28:55 PM »

Yeah, the BrawlEx slot is the only reason I'm not using the soundpack. I'm trying to keep the original game as vanilla as I can while still adding in new content, and unfortunately setting up sfx over bosses and stuff isn't something I'm too knowledgable with.
    But that's okay, for now I can just tweak the sfx calls so they don't loop.

As for the alt down smash it was high knockback, it was like she just teleported off screen as soon as it connected. I haven't had it trigger again so I'm not sure if it was a one shot bug or if it's consistent.

I'll try putting the original moveset in again and see if the black eye glitch is still happening. Maybe I tweaked something by mistake, not sure.

I added a lot of sounds. I don't think bosses will be able to handle that amount. That's a problem. I don't think any of my psas can be used with a brawlex slot without sacrificing someone's soundbank.
    Setting up sounds for bosses is not hard. I just don't know how to locate their soundbank id. And if you do that, you will earn yourself the noble task of correcting every single sound id on the psa file to the ids of the boss' sounds. You'd better really want to do that.

Thanks for warning about the bugs. I'll try something that possibly fix it. I can't say for sure they don't happen here, but I'll try a few times and see what happens.

Well actually I have exportet the Ai file from all the original characters and then I will test them ONE BY ONE, on the custom characters until I find one that makes the cpu do quite well. It's all part of the fun I guess Tongue  A lot of the "low" tier custom characters turned high tier after changing their AI.  And I would love to learn to psa. Maybe someday..

You test them one by one? Lol. "Fun" really have many meanings. I noticed you can, just by switching files, decide if you want to change the normal attacks AI or the special attacks AI. I didn't find where the final smash AI is located, unfortunately.
    In case you decide to get into psa, I'll be glad to help  in whatever you need.  Smiley

secretchaos1
    Extreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #230 on: March 28, 2015, 05:50:13 PM »

Well I personally don't even know how to extract sfx in order to do the replacing, and even then I'd have to sacrifice and rearrange them in order to make it work. For now I'll likely just be going mute by loading an alternate soundbank. It's not as pleasant as having the sfx but it's still an awesome moveset either way.

TheBlueBlur
    Mega Kitten

Pm me if you want to add me in Pokemon X/Y

• Awards Dedicated Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #231 on: April 11, 2015, 03:13:05 AM »

Hi Mortimer. I really love the Koopa Troopa PSA. The attacks are amazing,Final smash is really good, all of Koopa. But when Im trying replace Jigglypuffs green slot color with Koopa Troopa model the game freezes. Its because of Jigglypuff hat that has more bones to it right?

Carnage
    God Kitten

(retired)

• Awards Constructive Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Starstormer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #232 on: April 11, 2015, 04:13:03 AM »

Hi Mortimer. I really love the Koopa Troopa PSA. The attacks are amazing,Final smash is really good, all of Koopa. But when Im trying replace Jigglypuffs green slot color with Koopa Troopa model the game freezes. Its because of Jigglypuff hat that has more bones to it right?
    you need to use the pac/pcs model of jigly  and replace it there if im not mistaken, so use jigly files replace the texture and model and turn the hat invisible by choosing cull_all on all the hat materials, you cant just rename jigly00 pcs/pac like you do on every other character you need to use the 03 specificaly.

Mortimer
    Supreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #233 on: April 11, 2015, 01:51:01 PM »

you need to use the pac/pcs model of jigly  and replace it there if im not mistaken, so use jigly files replace the texture and model and turn the hat invisible by choosing cull_all on all the hat materials, you cant just rename jigly00 pcs/pac like you do on every other character you need to use the 03 specificaly.

Thanks for saying about the cull_all option, I didn't know it would work that easily.

I've just update now the psa with some tweaks suggested by Draco and included the green recolor. From my quick test, you can use the green recolor anywhere, but you can't use the other recolors in the green slot. So if you want another recolor there, use the green pcs/pac as a base and just replace its texture brres with the one you want.
    Huh, I made the recolor quite quickly, so I hope it doesn't make your eyes bleed.  Tongue When I change his skin color, it always looks awful to me for some reason. Seems to be better in game than in brawlbox, at least.

zutox
    Supreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #234 on: April 11, 2015, 04:30:27 PM »

Cool! Going to have to update my pack now ^^
    Also, if you ever find out where the AI for FS use is located I'd be most happy to know Smiley

You Never Know!

Mortimer
    Supreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #235 on: April 12, 2015, 10:06:01 AM »

Sure, no problem. I think it's on the rel file because it doesn't seems to be in the motion file.  
    I wish there was a bit to say if it's the cpu controlling the character. Would make things so much easier...
    « Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 11:51:31 AM by Mortimer » Logged

Mortimer
    Supreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #236 on: May 11, 2015, 06:01:14 PM »

Heya(ll). Gotta start this explaining myself again.
    Like I mentioned before in Drogoth's thread, after I joined smashboards, I noticed how the posts here are more valuable to me than I thought they were before. Since most of you here know how brawl work and know what is hard and what is easy to do, you automatically appreciate things they don't there. I mainly noticed this because Koopa, which here was my most unsuccessful work here, is the only psa required to be converted to project M in smashboards. In the other hand, Baphomet was generally well received here and there, they don't even want to see it because he doesn't belong to any game franchise.

The result of this is that I'm feeling a bit better. I accept that that most players moved from vBrawl, and I possibly would have done the same if I didn't change my roster so much to this day. I admit playing the original brawl, without any changes, is not exactly fun anymore... since a pretty long time ago. Most users don't know how to make their changes and don't want to know, and that's understandable. A hobby for someone can easily be seen as boring work for another person. That's probably the main reason for so many people leave vBrawl, not to mention the new smash game's release.  
    But as I'm still here, even if I really convert anything to project m, I'll always give priority to any critics coming from this board.

The main reason I joined smashboards was because I was going to cancel every future releases. Fortunately, they made me realize the value of the few reviews I got here, so thanks everyone who posted one. However, I've also realized those polls "you want this char?" are useless, because if you want, you'll say yes. If you don't want, you won't bother to vote, because you don't care about it anyway.

So, at least for now, I'm not cancelling anything. What I'm probably going to do about that monster I posted weeks ago is release a beta or something like that, meaning the testing phase will be shortened a lot, meaning there will be problems and bugs for sure. By people's reaction about the beta, I'll know if they want it and if I should release it when fully finished. If I feel the reaction is not favorable, at least it will save me a good chunk of work.
    In few words, after the beta is released, the psa can be cancelled at anytime until it's fully released. In this case, I'll move into something else after I finish this one. I might apply this process for all my works from now on.

Yes, that's me feeling better.  Roll Eyes If you're thinking something bad about me right now, I said I was going to give up releasing everything, but I still managed to do this one last effort, so I hope people understand that.

Alright then... just in case I don't ever anything again, I'll share this with you guys:
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yno4TNKyyUo" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yno4TNKyyUo</a>

It's intros and ending I've made during all my hacking time. They are related to my psas somehow. Not directly, but they are. It actually helps me finding inspiration, in a way. The name was suggested by youtube viewers, so it's obviously creepy.
    Don't  watch it if you don't like this stuff. It's supposed to be a distraction, not a nightmare.
    « Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 03:08:58 PM by Mortimer » Logged

KingJigglypuff
    Meme Machine

• Awards RAGE!! >9000 Hyperactive Contributor Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #237 on: May 11, 2015, 06:27:35 PM »

Youtube's being a [censored] about embedding all of a sudden. You're going to have to post the direct link to your video.

I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread

Mortimer
    Supreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #238 on: May 19, 2015, 03:10:23 PM »

I had to remove that "creepy" word from my other post. It looks extremely noobish if you don't realize that's a link.  Tongue KJP, I copied the same structure from my videos of the first page, that seems to have solved the problem. For now, at least.

Just submitted the beta I mentioned before. My testing time was near zero, don't know how many bugs this can cause. Like I also mentioned, this is to see if I should release this or not. I explained everything in my other post, won't be repeating myself again.

zutox
    Supreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #239 on: May 23, 2015, 12:22:12 PM »

I just tried him out. Not for very long but I have a little feedback.
    His F-smash seems only to be able to hit on the tip of his anchor, making him very vulnerable if he is close to his opponent, and he seems to have a harder time hitting smaller characters.

His N-B is cool, but I would have liked that he didn't flash while doing the attack.

There seems to be something strange happening when he goes from jump to falling animation, kinda jerky?

I have had him T-Pose randomly, but I couldn't make it happen again so I am not sure what made him do that. Haven't had any crashes yet at least Cheesy

You Never Know!

Pages:  1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 21
    Print
    Jump to: