Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Poll
Question: If I'm ever to return to hacking, and it would be vertex, what hacks should I do?
Veran V2 - 6 (10.3%)
Fi - 9 (15.5%)
Majora V3 - 11 (19%)
Fierce Deity V2 - 5 (8.6%)
OoS/A Link - 8 (13.8%)
Skyward Sword Link - 12 (20.7%)
Demise - 7 (12.1%)
Total Voters: 58

Pages:  1 ... 69 70 71 [72] 73 74
Author Topic: Alright then, time to shake off the rust  (Read 272532 times)
JBG
Semi-Retired Crumudgeon
Special Access

• Awards Starstormer Super Saiyan Topic Renowned Hacker Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1065 on: January 04, 2012, 10:21:04 PM »

And so I am vexed. Vexed by a curse that has long since bitten at my heels from the beginning of my career. A machine cannot run without fuel, and a creature cannot live without food. So is the nature of my drive to make hacks. Yea, it needs not a morsel of food, nor a drop of gasoline, but instead, a glimmer of critique.

I have discovered the source of the curse that has plagued my mind whilst I made these hacks.I have discovered that I cannot create if I know that my creations will not satiate my motivations hunger for critique.

I do not ask much, but I fear this curse spreads even though I have all but given up hacking. I NEED to hear your opinions. I NEED feedback on my creations. Comments such as "nice, "good job," or "I will totally use this," may work for others, such as Star, or Beyond. But not I. These comments are crumbs to the appetite of my drive.

I know this may strike all of you as needy, greedy, or vain, but it is a sad fact. I need to know what you like about my work. I need to know what I need to improve on, and what you might like to see in future renditions. So I have an ultimatum. I beg of you as a man about to sacrifice a fraction of his life, please, review my vault. Tell me what you like, what you dislike, what I need to improve on.

Otherwise, you may never see a hack from me again.

~Black Boo
    « Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 10:25:00 PM by Fi » Logged

Roo
    Lol Kitten

Or WAS I?

• Awards Fiery Topic Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1066 on: January 04, 2012, 10:31:34 PM »

Cool story bro.

*smacked*

You make very good hacks. So if my opinion is worth anything, I'll make sure to give my full detailed opinion on your hacks.
    « Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 10:37:51 PM by Roo » Logged

ItalianStallion
    Weapon X
    Overlord Kitten

Might controls everything

• Awards Good Citizen Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Star Hacker

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #1067 on: January 05, 2012, 12:02:21 PM »

What the hell are you even talking about? Im srs here

That was very dramatic, and unneeded.

I know of many Vertex hackers who moved on to Model Importing, and learned the material, to stay on their job.

I even know of noobs or even just portrait makers, who have a name out there now, because they are determined.

With that said, nothing else is needed to be said.

Velen
    Resident Lucario
    Boss Kitten

Insert totally self gratifying [censored] here. ; )

• Awards Famous Hacker Sniper Heart Container Ceiling Cat

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1068 on: January 05, 2012, 02:00:34 PM »

Let me put it this way Black Boo. Try vertexing some of the model imports. Make new and creative things form them.

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6640-9302

ShadowSnake
    Venomous Hacker
    Heroic Kitten

Back from the dead to mod Smash-U

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Star Hacker Starstormer KCMM Veteran

« Reply #1069 on: January 05, 2012, 02:21:23 PM »

vertexing is lame now.

i think if u are going to stay then move to importing, stages, or psas.

i myself am thinking about trying psa and stages

I DONT TAKE REQUESTS.

Velen
    Resident Lucario
    Boss Kitten

Insert totally self gratifying [censored] here. ; )

• Awards Famous Hacker Sniper Heart Container Ceiling Cat

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1070 on: January 05, 2012, 02:34:58 PM »

vertexing is lame now.

i think if u are going to stay then move to importing, stages, or psas.

i myself am thinking about trying psa and stages

Vertexing is not lame. Don't be foolish.

A combo of vertexing and imports allow for newer and greater ideas to be had. Stop limiting yourself.

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6640-9302

JBG
    Semi-Retired Crumudgeon
    Special Access

• Awards Starstormer Super Saiyan Topic Renowned Hacker Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1071 on: January 05, 2012, 03:43:23 PM »

See it's mindsets like yours Italian and ShadowSnake that make me want to quit.

While it may have been dramatic, I personally actually had fun writing it, and it did cheer me up a little to do so. That's the reason for the drama.

I'm also somehow discouraged by all of the people just throwing together model imports that are poorly rigged, glitchy, and just overall not pleasant.

I can't explain what's made me lose my drive. I don't think I have to either. All I know is that SOMETHING did it, and the most logical explanation is the lack fo feedback from what I can see.

I'm just asking for some critique on my works, not you guys to keep teling me "Oh go to importing it's better" or whatnot.

Also Italian, from the looks of it, if I'm to make imports, i believe I need Max2010. I could be wrong, but I know I'm not equipped for the matter, and I doubt I will be able to get what I need for some time. So for the time being, importing is NOT an option.
    « Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 04:02:07 PM by Fi » Logged

ItalianStallion
    Weapon X
    Overlord Kitten

Might controls everything

• Awards Good Citizen Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Star Hacker

« Reply #1072 on: January 05, 2012, 04:27:02 PM »

If you want to leave, there's the door. Nobody is stopping you. Might as well make a dramatic goodbye exit, by making a thread on the Intros section.

If you want to make a vertex, nobody is stopping you either.

The only person stopping you from doing anything, is yourself.

Never said Model Importing was better. You're putting words in my mouth.

That's the new thing, I'm just saying. We're done here.

SiLeNtDo0m
    Suffering from Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
    Overlord Kitten

WHAT IN TARNATION?!

• Awards Former PMDT Featured Heart Container >9000

« Reply #1073 on: January 05, 2012, 04:52:28 PM »

Well, I've given a fair amount of feedback on your mods in the blog posts in particular, but I'll state some opinions on my favourite works of yours in particular.

Deku Link - Love this one.  He's so adorable and lovable and yet so beatifully simple.  The model edits are well done, in particular the Deku Stick over the sword is very nice considering he didn't wield anything in MM.  However, the texture really brings it to life.  They look very authentic.  Wood looks wooden.  Hard and definitive.  And those glowing eyes.  Bright and expressive.  I just really like him overall.

OoT Link V2 - Whenever I use Link, this is always my set replacement.  It just has so much more charm than his TP look.  And again, this really shows off your skills as a texturer.  They're very carefully and delicately woven.  It's like an ideal fusion of Brawl's textures and OoT 3DS' textures.  As well as this, the intricacy of the shield and sheathe is incredible (if I recall you said that they were based off of physical replicas made by a friend of yours and it really shows).

Metal Sonic - This one is simple.  Because it was the first Metal Sonic that really bore powerful resemblance to Metal Sonic.  I remember you said you spent months on this and it shows.  As model edits go it was by far the best Metal Sonic out.  It's kind of hard to say anything more about this that I haven't said already, but just know that it was pretty phenomenal for the time.

To put it simply, your texturing skills are some of the best here.  They're all so beautifully done but honestly I think it would be a waste of your potential to stick with vertexing.  Sticking with a more limiting form of modding is silly and impractical.  It would be like me deciding to make my PSAs using really old versions of PSA, and making my animations in Brawlbox 0.62 or earlier.  Sure there are a lot of bad model inports, but there are plenty of really amazing ones too.  Ones with clean rigs, well constructed textures (e.g Beyond's Scizor and Vegeta, Star's Bomberman, pikazz's Dry Bowser etc) and with your ability to texture you could easily make some potentialky beautiful model imports.

Roo
    Lol Kitten

Or WAS I?

• Awards Fiery Topic Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1074 on: January 05, 2012, 04:56:46 PM »

ItalianStallion you are not helping the situation very much at all. We don't want people to leave the site, as many are starting to do.

Blackboo I understand your want for critique. I make dozens of popular videos where all the commentators say:

"awesome job"

"keep making these"

And stuff of that sort. Rarely do I ever receive a critique, most likely people are scared to. If you critique someone too harshly, they may feel they aren't any good at it, and quit. The same probably goes for you. Your hacks ARE great. It's like you're trying to get people to critique it so harshly that they say they are terrible.

You want a critique? Well here.

"I love your Saria hack. It is super creative and textured amazingly, and there are very few ways you could even improve upon it. How about you make a Toon version to fit with Toon link? I think that would be very neat."

Not harsh enough? How about I say:

"OH MAN that doesn't even LOOK like Saria!! Awful job man, you sure suck at hacking.'

Obviously the second one isn't true, but I REALLY cant find any way you could  improve upon it!!

tl;dr :

I know how you feel about wanting critique. But if we cant find anything to critique ABOUT, then it would just be lying.
    « Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 04:58:30 PM by Roo » Logged

PAVGN
    Holy Kitten

The bitter old man everybody hates.

• Awards Stack Smash Team Hot Topic Favorite'd Pin Collector

« Reply #1075 on: January 05, 2012, 07:25:38 PM »

I want to critique your hacks, but honestly the only way I can see you improving what you've already made is by making custom models. However, seeing as how that's not an option for you (though I'm not sure why), I say you should just make more hacks, but not Zelda related. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with having most of your hacks being Zelda related, but It would be better to add some variety to the list of hacks you've done. Also, you could try making stages, or doing something else different. Expand your horizons beyondyou playable characters. Try doing hacks of Assist Trophies or Subspace Emissary enemies. You cannot grow or evolve as an artist If you never leave your comfort zone.

http://filesmelt.com/dl/[censored]y.png
    [PICTURE REMOVED. Reason: Total signature pic size exceeds 695x200.]

SJS
    Clastic Sandtastic
    Brawl Vault Staff

• Awards The Gentlepin Hyperactive Contributor >9000 Hey! Listen!

« Reply #1076 on: January 05, 2012, 07:39:36 PM »

You're one of the best textures this side of Brawl modding. I like the fact that you go back and revamp some of your older hacks also. I don't really mind that most of your stuff is Zelda related since I'm a big Zelda fan, too. But venturing into new waters can be tough...

You could always re-texture existing model imports or collab with a good importer though.

Look at my CSPs. While you're at it, come and help fix some broken hacks.. Don't stop! Check out LSTeam's cBliss recolor project.

Spex130
    Holy Kitten

So very Spexcellent.

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Starstormer Hyperactive Contributor Renowned Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1077 on: January 05, 2012, 09:14:44 PM »

I've never posted in this thread before, so you most likely don't know me, but I'd like to leave feedback and a little idea that might help you in the future. Also, Text Wall incoming.

I'm the kind of person who attaches  names to a value. You know, like "Making a name for yourself?"

And since you've played your hand and forced us to give our opinions, I'd like to state mine:

Black Boo's hacks are of a high standard of quality and creativity.

My favorite would have to be your Metal Sonic, which held a permanent spot in my game for at least a year, and maybe more.

Most people don't do this, but I always took the time to inspect the hacks I download using the pause menu, and every time I looked at the hack I was always amazed.

I'll always believe that vertexing takes more skill than model importing, and that's coming from me (who model imports as well).

It would be a shame to see you go dead.

As for something that might increase your drive for hacking....

Most people like to see Model Importing as its name implies, "Model Importing." But what they should see it as is "Vertexing without Limits."

In the event you are able to start model importing (if it's ever possible, that is), I would love to see what original concepts you could come up with. Not just "Heey! I found this model on the internet!" but something original, creative and new, which seems to be your specialty.

Tl;dr

You're too HQ to go away, hope you stay and hack and stuff.
    « Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 09:15:56 PM by Spex130 » Logged

BlueBrain
    God Kitten

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Super Saiyan Topic >9000 Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1078 on: January 06, 2012, 10:08:33 AM »

dude, i had the same problem at first, its not cuz of the lack of feedback why u feel like that, its probably just cuz even if u do a vertex hack, u feel like u should be doing something else...
    im making some custom models atm, and i use brawl models for it so i can texture them easily...

here's an example:

it has olimar's head, TL's body, link's feet and hands, and ike's hair...
    its a lot more fun to work like this, seriously, and if u dont like rigging, look for a good rigger that may want to rig your models, or just rig them urself, its actually kinda satisfying to have a 100% made by urself character

Wasabi_Skillz
    Supreme Kitten

• Awards Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1079 on: January 12, 2012, 01:26:31 AM »

i hope you stay around because you can vertex things that aren't existing models already. for example OoS/A Link. since that's not a 3d model you can get creative with that. I wouldn't want you to make vertexes for things that people are making models of but vertexes of things that would require your own interpretation. don't quit!!!

Pages:  1 ... 69 70 71 [72] 73 74
    Print
    Jump to: