Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Editing Death Cries, Ottoto, Crowd Chant, etc for PSAs.  (Read 26404 times)
KingJigglypuff
Meme Machine

• Awards RAGE!! >9000 Hyperactive Contributor Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « on: September 22, 2014, 07:00:35 PM »

If you're making a PSA for BrawlEx and want to have characters use their own soundbank or want one of your characters to use a different character's sounds, chances are you'll need to edit the SFX Data for things like Death Cries. This will show you the basics of what you need to edit.

Edit: This tutorial has been updated to replace Tabuu with PSA Compressor. In addition to this, I have learned that if -1 (0xFFFFFFFF) is used as an SFX ID with this tutorial, it'll be registered as a null SFX call, meaning no SFX will be played when the specific entry is called. This isn't a glitch, it's fully intentional, and can be used with silent characters who don't vocalize.

Tools needed.
    -BrawlBox v0.68b.
    -Calculator that can convert Decimal into Hexadecimal and vise verse.
    -Tabbu Alpha 3 (if you can't use BrawlBox).
    -PSA Compressor (if you can't use BrawlBox).
    -List of SFX IDs (Ignore the numbers on the far left).

BrawlBox.
    Open your FitFighter.pac and go to the Misc Sound List area.

Edit the following values in the Misc Sound List folder.

In BrawlBox, it's as easy as clicking on the SFX# and changing the Value. But since BrawlBox uses Decimal, rather than Hexadecimal, you'll need to use your calculator to convert the SFX ID in the linked txt into Decimal

Saving with BrawlBox: File > Save or Ctrl + S. Make sure you have a backup in the off chance you run into an issue down the road.

PSA Compressor.
    Open your FitFighter.pac, go to the Misc tab, go to the Data tab underneath, open the MiscData section, and you'll see your SFX entries under the Sound Lists section.

This process is just as easy as BrawlBox, but not as straightforward. Like PSA, you'll need to use the Hex ID of your SFX you want to use. Inside the Sound Lists section, there' will be several SoundData sub entries. The layout will be nearly identical to that of the BrawlBox image, but rather than all the SFX call entries being displayed at once, you'll need to select one of the SoundData sub entries to see its contents. After that, select the specific SFX entry you want to change, alter the SFX ID in the text box at the bottom of the window before clicking the Done button to confirm your changes.

Saving with PSA Compressor: File > Save. You'll be prompted with an Explorer window to save your modified file in. You should be safe to override your original file, but make a backup just in case something goes wrong down the line.

With the introduction of PSA Compressor, there's virtually no need for Tabuu anymore (or even BrawlBox), but I'll archive the instructions for Tabuu usage in the Spoiler below just in case.
    Tabuu Alpha 3
    Open your FitFighter.pac and go to SoundData under Misc

Tabuu isn't so easy. You have to click on the SFX? you want to edit, right click on it, click Open Hex View, edit the As Int text box with the wanted SFX ID, click in any other text box (don't edit anything), and close out of Hex View. You have to do this with every SFX? you want to edit. Tabuu uses Hexadecimal, so there's no need to convert things.

Saving with Tabuu: Scroll up to the top, right click the FitChar/MiscData[0], Save File, click Yes. NOTICE: Tabuu will crash upon saving, but your edits will be saved. Make sure you have a backup in the off chance you run into an issue down the road.

Color codes for both images (BrawlBox and Tabuu).
    Damage Cries.
    Attack Grunts.
    Ottotto Grunt (teetering off a ledge).
    Crowd Cheer.
    Unused. Likely leftover data from Melee's Damage cries.
    Death Cries.
    Star KO Cry.
    Unknown.

I hope this helps, as I've seen a few people having issues with this.

If this tutorial does not work for you, it might be an issue on your end or an issue with the PSA itself. So don't got [censored]ing about this tutorial not working in every other thread.
    « Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 01:42:06 PM by KingJigglypuff » Logged

I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread

HaloFanODST
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Hey! Listen! Good Citizen Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 07:04:36 PM »

I'll try this when I have time.

Before someone attacks me:
    No, I won't say/accept the term "American" to refer exclusively to people or things from the United States.
    America is a continent and deal with it.
    I'm an American, but not necessarily from the U.S.

Large Leader
    I'm shocked I'm allowed to still have this.
    Angel Kitten

• Awards Active Contributor Diamond in the Rough Renowned Hacker Super Saiyan Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 07:59:19 PM »

10/10

would read again :V

Quote from: Miacis
    In other words, LURK MORE.
    Quote from: LC-DDM
    In other news, birds fly, sun shines, fishes swim, and the sky is [censored]ing BLUE.
    Quote from: Miacis
    3. ... You seriously don't know who Clinton is?
    Quote from: Haseyo
    If only hacking Brawl paid bills.
    Quote from: Nanobuds
    O snap
    Quote from: DrPanda
    But you are in a Smash Bros. thread.
    You can't have an opinion here.

Ricky (Br3)
    KC:MM Family JesterㅤThe Last One Here
    Administrator

• Awards KCMM Storyteller Decade Staff RAGE!! Warm Welcomer

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 09:25:58 PM »

Useful! Had no clue how to change those.

ㅤlㅤ

ㅤlㅤ

Tabuu Forte Akugun
    Boss Kitten

Smash 4 Main: Bowser

• Awards Heart Container Famous Hacker Starstormer Super Saiyan Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 02:28:59 PM »

This will come in handy if we ever get custom / clone soundbanks working.

Nebulon
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Tutorial Writer Super Saiyan Topic Dedicated Hacker Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 05:20:30 PM »

With the way I've got it set up, I need to put in an ID that doesn't make a sound. How would I do that? particularly for the attack grunts. I need a silent sound. Any will do.

Post Merge: September 25, 2014, 05:23:32 PM
    Actually, I found some. Nevermind.
    « Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 05:23:32 PM by Nebulon » Logged

Want to talk about my pack? Let's take it over here to the Brawl 4 All thread: http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=71453.msg1306822#msg1306822

KingJigglypuff
    Meme Machine

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 05:23:54 PM »

With the way I've got it set up, I need to put in an ID that doesn't make a sound. How would I do that? particularly for the attack grunts. I need a silent sound. Any will do.
    Try using SFX ID 0.

I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread

Nebulon
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 05:30:35 PM »

0 is a menu "click". But my new problem is that the PSA I'm using can only be edited in PSA. BB corrupts it and Tabuu won't open it. Are there any other alternatives?

Want to talk about my pack? Let's take it over here to the Brawl 4 All thread: http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=71453.msg1306822#msg1306822

KingJigglypuff
    Meme Machine

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 05:32:54 PM »

0 is a menu "click". But my new problem is that the PSA I'm using can only be edited in PSA. BB corrupts it and Tabuu won't open it. Are there any other alternatives?
    If you can open the file in BrawlBox, take note of the Offsets, convert the SFX IDs into Hex, and manually edit in a Hex Editor.

I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread

HaloFanODST
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Hey! Listen! Good Citizen Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 05:39:26 PM »

May I know which PSA is that?

Before someone attacks me:
    No, I won't say/accept the term "American" to refer exclusively to people or things from the United States.
    America is a continent and deal with it.
    I'm an American, but not necessarily from the U.S.

Nebulon
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 06:06:32 PM »

I'm trying to edit the Knuckles still. My hex editor doesn't have the IDs of the sounds in hex in the proper offset so I think I'm doing something wrong. what hex program do you reccomend I use?

KingJigglypuff
    Meme Machine

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 06:12:00 PM »

I'm trying to edit the Knuckles still. My hex editor doesn't have the IDs of the sounds in hex in the proper offset so I think I'm doing something wrong. what hex program do you reccomend I use?
    You're not doing it right.

This is what you need to do.

1.) Take note of the Offset and SFX ID and convert them into Hex. Ex: Offset is 0x47274 in Dec, so the Offset in Hex would be 0xB8AA. SFX ID is 496 in Dec, so the ID would be 1F0 in Hex
    2.) Close BB and open the file in a hex editor, go to the Offset, and find the SFX. Ex: Goto B8AA and find 1F0.
    3.) Edit it with the Hex ID of the SFX you want.
    4.) Save and test.

The hex editor doesn't matter, but I use HxD.
    « Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 07:13:12 PM by KingJigglypuff » Logged

I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread

Nebulon
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 08:54:40 PM »

I've typed in the sfx ID in hex using the find feature in HxD but the offset on the bottom left isn't the int offset it shows in BB (converted to hex). It is in hex mode too, I know I can do it in dec but it's in hex and I typed it in hex. The thing is, when I find the spot where the bottom left says the proper intoffset I don't see any of the sfx hex IDs.

Is there a difference for intoffsets? Does that need to be converted? Or do I do the folder's intoffset as opposed to individual intoffset?

This is probably obvious and I just don't know something key here.

KingJigglypuff
    Meme Machine

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 08:11:13 AM »

I've typed in the sfx ID in hex using the find feature in HxD but the offset on the bottom left isn't the int offset it shows in BB (converted to hex). It is in hex mode too, I know I can do it in dec but it's in hex and I typed it in hex. The thing is, when I find the spot where the bottom left says the proper intoffset I don't see any of the sfx hex IDs.

Is there a difference for intoffsets? Does that need to be converted? Or do I do the folder's intoffset as opposed to individual intoffset?

This is probably obvious and I just don't know something key here.
    The individual offset for each SFX.

I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread

Nebulon
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 08:28:36 PM »

Alright so to clarify this is what I'm doing. Where is my error?

Here:

http://i.imgur.com/Ez2rZnH.jpg

So there's the offset as seen in BB. It read 83192. Above it is the SFX entry I want to change in the Hex program.

So going to the program and finding 83192 (which I've converted with my calculator into 144F8, which is actually what is displaying on the bottom left when my cursor is below the 08):

http://i.imgur.com/l30lQdl.jpg

This is where I think the SFX ID should be in hex, but it's just zeroes. 4 spaces to the right is the next offset ID for another sfx entry, so I feel it SHOULD be within these green boxes. Now I'm assuming I'm just not looking at the right thing. Is there a setting or anything in HxD that I need to change?

Pages:  [1] 2 3 4
    Print
    Jump to: