The Real Reason the Community is Dying.

Started by Velen, February 17, 2015, 11:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Quote from: LinkFX リンク on March 23, 2015, 11:18:45 PM
Plus, I found this site that insults other people's hard work (you would probably recognize this):

fnbv.tumblr.com

I couldn't post the first one because the first word gets censored and pressing it leads to nowhere. It's a website where it judges other people's textures that they have worked so hard on.

Pretty sure most of the people in this thread know about this.

And if you cant take critique, then how will you improve?

Even IF they're just bashing your work. So what? You won't be less of a human if it happens to you.


Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Quote from: LinkFX リンク on March 23, 2015, 11:18:45 PMfnbv.tumblr.com
This is an example of harsh criticism. People tend to not be able to take harsh criticism.

Even though it's mean, it's not hating. And that blog is run by one person.
I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread
[move][/move]

March 23, 2015, 11:56:37 PM #107 Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 12:02:53 AM by LinkFX リンク
Quote from: drogoth on March 23, 2015, 11:35:58 PM
Pretty sure most of the people in this thread know about this.

And if you cant take critique, then how will you improve?

Even IF they're just bashing your work. So what? You won't be less of a human if it happens to you.

To be honest, I don't need critique to be better. I can get better at making PSAs my own way. I don't care what others think of my PSA making, I'm proud of it, and if any of the others can't take it, they can stay away from talking [censored] about it. No offense, but people who critique should always know that people try their VERY BEST to finish a hack, even me, incomplete, or not.

That's how human others are, being supportive. :srs:

Quote from: Scuot on March 23, 2015, 11:26:58 PM
Well, so what?

Everywhere you get critique for your art, be it youtube, paint, photography, everywhere. My stuff is in there, you think that stopped me 11 months ago?

Honestly, it doesn't.

Quote from: KingJigglypuff on March 23, 2015, 11:41:37 PM
This is an example of harsh criticism. People tend to not be able to take harsh criticism.

Even though it's mean, it's not hating. And that blog is run by one person.
I suppose.
Quote from: B a d   T i m e LC-DDM on May 13, 2016, 03:11:44 AM
#MakeNintendoWiFiGreatAgain
QuoteA girl who bullies you is just showing their ignorance while at the same time is too stupid to tell you she likes you.ヽ( ͡°╭​͜ʖ╮​͡° )ノ

Smash 4 Cloud Project:
http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=77350.0


Smash 4 Cloud discord: https://discord.gg/P8e4JUC

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5wsEF4QhWfmmRAKfSNymaw

Anther's Ladder: TheTriforceLink
Smash 3DS mains: Link, Shulk, Falco, Cloud, Villy

Quote from: LinkFX リンク on March 23, 2015, 11:18:45 PM
Plus, I found this site that insults other people's hard work (you would probably recognize this):

fnbv.tumblr.com

I couldn't post the first one because the first word gets censored and pressing it leads to nowhere. It's a website where it judges other people's textures that they have worked so hard on.
yea I see my Lumara hack on there, but don't really care because, the hacks that were on the website were actually good hacks, and I can bet that the person that made that website can't even do half of the stuff that he's making fun of XD
Super Smash Sisters Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SmashSistersFinalConflict/?fref=nf

Smash Sisters Discord: https://discord.gg/QMwMgvg

Quote from: LinkFX リンク on March 23, 2015, 11:56:37 PM
To be honest, I don't need critique to be better. I can get better at making PSAs my own way. I don't care what others think of my PSA making, I'm proud of it, and if any of the others can't take it, they can stay away from talking [censored] about it. No offense, but people who critique should always know that people try their VERY BEST to finish a hack, even me, incomplete, or not.
Um...

Yeah...

You're the problem with this community, buddy...

You are the exact type of person whom I have a problem with.

It's one thing to be happy with your work, but that bit about not caring about criticism makes you destined to fail with your endeavors. You don't only make content for yourself. If you publish your work for others to consume, criticism is necessary to succeed. If you cannot take criticism, then I cannot support your work. And I hope no one else supports your work either.

Quote from: tyshy on March 24, 2015, 12:21:15 AM
yea I see my Lumara hack on there, but don't really care because, the hacks that were on the website were actually good hacks, and I can bet that the person that made that website can't even do half of the stuff that he's making fun of XD
Just because you can't make something, that doesn't mean you can't critique it.

And stop white knighting. Explain why you think anything shown on FNBV is good in your eyes.
I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread
[move][/move]

I believe that everyone on this site has patential and every hacker on this site is as great as the real game designers, I have seen many things that I thought were impossible happen on this website, and if someone criticizes your work it either means 1. They are jealous because they can't do what you can.
2. They are just lowlifes that have nothing better to do
3. Some people criticize in positive ways to make someone work harder

But no matter what everyone is great at what they do :)
Super Smash Sisters Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SmashSistersFinalConflict/?fref=nf

Smash Sisters Discord: https://discord.gg/QMwMgvg

Quote from: tyshy on March 24, 2015, 12:21:15 AM
yea I see my Lumara hack on there, but don't really care because, the hacks that were on the website were actually good hacks, and I can bet that the person that made that website can't even do half of the stuff that he's making fun of XD

...excuse me. Solid color texture 'hacks' are good?

March 24, 2015, 12:48:37 AM #112 Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 12:52:24 AM by Nao-chan
Quote from: tyshy on March 24, 2015, 12:40:37 AM
I believe that everyone on this site has patential and every hacker on this site is as great as the real game designers, I have seen many things that I thought were impossible happen on this website, and if someone criticizes your work it either means 1. They are jealous because they can't do what you can.
2. They are just lowlifes that have nothing better to do
3. Some people criticize in positive ways to make someone work harder

But no matter what everyone is great at what they do :)

I doubt people are just criticizing because they're jealous, or lowlifes like you say... I'm sure it's to help the one receiving it to better their work. Some don't always say the right thing, but I'm sure they're not all [censored]s. Those people that are bashing just to do it are trolls. They hold no value.

That line about every hacker here being as great as the game designers themselves is a little farfetched though... I highly doubt that. I'm not saying they couldn't be... but at the level some of the people are at, I don't think they even stand up to the ability of the game designers themselves.
WiFi Brawl FC:0606-0014-4748

You turned into a real boring [censored] while I was away. -Yoko

Hooray for surpassing 4000 downloads!! Thanks guys!

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

March 24, 2015, 01:20:27 AM #113 Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 01:34:24 AM by Nαnobuds
Quote from: LinkFX リンク on March 23, 2015, 11:56:37 PM
To be honest, I don't need critique to be better.
This is one of the most stubborn, thick headed things I have heard on this site.
If you want to be a good modder/artist, you need to grow thick skin. Its part of life. Deal with it.

Quote from: tyshy on March 24, 2015, 12:40:37 AM
I believe that everyone on this site has patential and every hacker on this site is as great as the real game designers, I have seen many things that I thought were impossible happen on this website, and if someone criticizes your work it either means 1. They are jealous because they can't do what you can.
2. They are just lowlifes that have nothing better to do
3. Some people criticize in positive ways to make someone work harder

But no matter what everyone is great at what they do :)
...
Your reasons are full of [censored]. So if I criticize someone's work, I'm a lowlife? I'm jealous of your Super Smash Sisters mods? No. If I criticize you, I'm telling you what is wrong with your art, and how it can be improved.

You guys obviously don't know what criticism is.

"It looks like [censored]"- NOT criticism. This is what the lowlife scrubs will say, which I RARELY see here.

"It looks like [censored]. Here are things you can do to make it look better: etc etc"-Criticism. Harsh, but still criticism, which is perfectly okay. If this offends you, you need to grow some thicker skin.

"It looks okay, but needs A LOT of work to be better"-Good criticism.

Quote from: Nao-chan on March 24, 2015, 12:48:37 AM
I doubt people are just criticizing because they're jealous, or lowlifes like you say... I'm sure it's to help the one receiving it to better their work. Some don't always say the right thing, but I'm sure they're not all [censored]s. Those people that are bashing just to do it are trolls. They hold no value.

That line about every hacker here being as great as the game designers themselves is a little farfetched though... I highly doubt that. I'm not saying they couldn't be... but at the level some of the people are at, I don't think they even stand up to the ability of the game designers themselves.
agreed but some people always have room to grow, not necessarily saying that everyone could be a game designer, but I remember how horrible my hacks were when I first started, XD and not saying that it's wrong to criticize, but it is bad when there is more criticizing than helping
Super Smash Sisters Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SmashSistersFinalConflict/?fref=nf

Smash Sisters Discord: https://discord.gg/QMwMgvg

Nano is right here... There are different forms of criticism... It's how you take said criticism that shows how you can improve. If you think it's an attack on you personally, then you'll literally stagnate. If you get bad criticism... weed through the tough rhetoric and find the things they are saying you need to change to help your work. Thicker skin would also help you do this.
WiFi Brawl FC:0606-0014-4748

You turned into a real boring [censored] while I was away. -Yoko

Hooray for surpassing 4000 downloads!! Thanks guys!

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

March 24, 2015, 01:26:42 AM #116 Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 01:27:56 AM by drogoth
KJP stole my post, but I want to break yours down into parts and give my own examples/thoughts

Quote from: LinkFX リンク on March 23, 2015, 11:56:37 PM
To be honest, I don't need critique to be better. I can get better at making PSAs my own way.

I look at where you are at currently, and I see myself when I first started out. I had ambitions (pretty much my whole thread lol). But as time went on, I knew that there were some things I couldn't achieve. Whether it was limitations at the time, it being impossible or even if I just didn't have the time. Something stopped me. And you know what? I'm happy that they did. Looking back at my Roy and Hector PSAs, I'm appalled that people (including myself) actually liked them.

QuoteI don't care what others think of my PSA making, I'm proud of it, and if any of the others can't take it, they can stay away from talking [censored] about it. No offense, but people who critique should always know that people try their VERY BEST to finish a hack, even me, incomplete, or not.

I've downloaded your Cloud and your HW Link PSA just to give them a shot, to give you the benefit of the doubt. I can't say I'm disappointed in the quality of your work, but I'm disappointed that you didn't ask for critique or help.

Critique from others is the only way you'll get better.

Help will widen your understanding of what you're doing and will help you learn even faster (who'd have thought?)

Back when I started out, I was a complete noob. Yeah, I knew how to PSA (I got a lot of help from Tormod and occasionally from ABC) but I couldn't animate to save my life. So I started making a few things and when I started to gather more steam (started making more animations), I started to put them up on my thread. At first, I thrived on praise and people saying "Wow, it's X character! So cool!" , but as time went on I saw that I wasn't improving. I wasn't getting to what Tormod or DivineOverlord or SilentDoom were doing (it should come as no surprise at this point that I have a man-crush on Tormod).

So after "tricking" KJP to post on my thread (not really tricking, but he had one idea which was incorrect and I took it lol), I became quick friends with him and abused that fact to get critique on my animations. And what do you know? My animations improved. A lot. Hell, I'll even put up comparison pictures:

BEFORE (There's 4)
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


AFTER (There's 5)

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


And after everything I've seen, done, and worked on, I am damn proud of the stuff I make now when I compare it to what I did in the past.

Completely disregarding critique won't lead you anywhere. At all.
Yes, receiving harsh critique all of the time sucks. But it should help motivate you to do better.
Not asking for help will not get you anywhere either. Reaching out for help is the best way to get better.

To top it off, you're publishing your work on a public website for the world (well, some of it) to download and try out. You'll never be free from critique, so you might as well use it to your advantage.

I reached out to you in a PM because I know what it feels like to have a bunch of ideas and want to pump them out. But the way you're going about it won't help you improve. Putting out (excuse my language) half-assed or incomplete stuff won't help you improve.


Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Quote from: Nαnobuds on March 24, 2015, 01:20:27 AM
If you want to be a good modder/artist, you need to grow thick skin. Its part of life. Deal with it.
...
Your reasons are full of [censored]. So if I criticize someone's work, I'm a lowlife? I'm jealous of your Super Smash Sisters mods? No. If I criticize you, I'm telling you what is wrong with your art, and how it can be improved.

You guys obviously don't know what criticism is.

"It looks like [censored]"- NOT criticism. This is what the lowlife scrubs will say, which I RARELY see here.

"It looks like [censored]. Here are things you can do to make it look better: etc etc"-Criticism. Harsh, but still criticism, which is perfectly okay. If this offends you, you need to grow some thicker skin.

"It looks okay, but needs A LOT of work to be better"-Good criticism.
1. I wasn't even talking about you
2. You read that out of context
3. Some of those are the cases, just because u don't do that doesn't other people don't , and trust I have met people that do that for those reasons
Super Smash Sisters Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SmashSistersFinalConflict/?fref=nf

Smash Sisters Discord: https://discord.gg/QMwMgvg

Quote from: tyshy on March 24, 2015, 01:32:46 AM
1. I wasn't even talking about you
2. You read that out of context
3. Some of those are the cases, just because u don't do that doesn't other people don't , and trust I have met people that do that for those reasons
You were generalizing all critics in your post. Speak what you mean next time, and I won't read it out of context.

Getting criticism from others is one thing, but people have to learn to criticize themselves too I think. You won't get better at things by staying in your comfort zone, challenge yourself in ways you haven't before. Try new things. And even if you just made the greatest thing, you'll should always find ways to improve it. Nothing is perfect, after all!