Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 12
Author Topic: The Real Reason the Community is Dying.  (Read 67467 times)
Velen
Resident Lucario
Boss Kitten

Insert totally self gratifying [censored] here. ; )

• Awards Famous Hacker Sniper Heart Container Ceiling Cat

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 07:32:56 PM »

I apologize if I come off as slow or if I misunderstand, but what exactly are you insinuating? Never once did I make a post going overboard about something I disagree with, considering, again, I don't frequent this forum for the reasons you stated, and I don't think my post is stupid in the slightest.

Bear in mind that it doesn't bother me if you find what I say ridiculous, but a more clear reason would be appreciated.

Cause I myself have a habit of speaking my mind to extremes. That's what I meant by degrees of stupidity. It's a cautionary from someone who's had a bad habit of taking speaking his mind to extremes himself.

It's nice to speak your mind, keeps you from bottling things up, but sometimes being so blunt about it just causes trouble.

@Nao: Read for a 3rd degree burn? :V

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6640-9302

Nao-chan
    Collab Assassin
    Holy Kitten

That's what comes of under-estimating me.

• Awards Dedicated Hacker Famous Hacker Starstormer Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 07:38:51 PM »

Why do you want to kill me? That's not nice.

*Burns to ash...*

Thanks a lot Velen...

Anyway... Yes... these forums are dying. People are unhelpful [censored]s, or are unwilling to learn nitwits with a lack of confidence... Not much is going to change unless the majority are willing. With how things have been lately here. I kind of doubt that's going to happen. Not saying I don't want it to... I just mean I don't see it going that way in the forseeable future.

So meh.

WiFi Brawl FC:0606-0014-4748

You turned into a real boring [censored] while I was away. -Yoko

Hooray for surpassing 4000 downloads!! Thanks guys!

BlackJax96
    Brawl Mod God
    Boss Kitten

• Awards KCMM Veteran Sniper King for a Day Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 07:42:14 PM »

THE PROPHECY

I'm so sorry everyone

windhunter7
    BrawlVault Gatekeeper
    Angel Kitten

Check out my website for tutorials and more! :)

• Awards Famous Hacker Super Saiyan Topic RAGE!! Hyperactive Contributor

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 07:48:43 PM »

THE PROPHECY

I'm so sorry everyone

Already happened, what with Sm4sh being released... Cry
    « Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 07:50:10 PM by windhunter7 » Logged

Nao-chan
    Collab Assassin
    Holy Kitten

That's what comes of under-estimating me.

• Awards Dedicated Hacker Famous Hacker Starstormer Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 07:51:20 PM »

Pls.

WiFi Brawl FC:0606-0014-4748

You turned into a real boring [censored] while I was away. -Yoko

Hooray for surpassing 4000 downloads!! Thanks guys!

BlackJax96
    Brawl Mod God
    Boss Kitten

• Awards KCMM Veteran Sniper King for a Day Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 08:36:02 PM »

Oh, you don't say?

Samusfan1
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #21 on: February 17, 2015, 08:52:59 PM »

It's because this community is not as friendly as we like to make yourselves think, it's also because so many of our members never interact with other, more active members, never make posts, make themselves known beyond the vault, never allow the community to critique, foster and nurture their ability to create. It's also because too many out there think they could never do what we can do now, and compounding on that is that the atmosphere of the community has become one of jaded cynicism, no matter how much we blind ourselves to that truth.

The past hostilities between a certain project and the community poisoning things further not withstanding, this community is choking itself to death by the way many people operate and think around here.
    Thank you for saying this.

HaloFanODST
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Hey! Listen! Good Citizen Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 09:09:04 PM »

I agree. As I tried to mention a while back, a lot of the people here are simply awful.

I can't create to save my life, but seeing some of the people that can kinda just act so funny is disheartening. It's a miracle I even frequent this forum with the attitudes I've seen displayed here. And I literally could not care if my account gets terminated or something just for adding my two cents, because I'm really not missing out on much.

I'd love to give examples but it's apparent that this attitude is abound in this forum. Take the time to look through, you'll see. A lot of people act like modding is a job, when it's really just a hobby and should be treated as such. No one is entitled to anything really, considering a lot of what's done here is done by choice.

Gotta say that your statement is true.

Before someone attacks me:
    No, I won't say/accept the term "American" to refer exclusively to people or things from the United States.
    America is a continent and deal with it.
    I'm an American, but not necessarily from the U.S.

RebelliousTreecko
    Advanced Kitten

Lurker and hacking n00b. 3D modeler.

• Awards Ninja

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #23 on: February 17, 2015, 09:17:57 PM »

Mewtwo2000 and DSX8 have been very helpful to me in the past with their PMs, even though they haven't answered in a few months.

SSB4 is certainly a reason for the lack of interest these days, but keep in mind that although SSB4 has things that Brawl doesn't, on the flip side, Brawl hacking has been able to create things that SSB4 doesn't have.  Take Project M's ocarina easter egg for Link.  And look at the SMBZ Mario moveset hack.  And, y'know, the based clone engine.

I didn't realize there were these sorts of problems with the community with attitudes and such.  Sorry about that.

Velen
    Resident Lucario
    Boss Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #24 on: February 17, 2015, 09:20:28 PM »

Mewtwo2000 and DSX8 have been very helpful to me in the past with their PMs, even though they haven't answered in a few months.

SSB4 is certainly a reason for the lack of interest these days, but keep in mind that although SSB4 has things that Brawl doesn't, on the flip side, Brawl hacking has been able to create things that SSB4 doesn't have.  Take Project M's ocarina easter egg for Link.  And look at the SMBZ Mario moveset hack.  And, y'know, the based clone engine.

I didn't realize there were these sorts of problems with the community with attitudes and such.  Sorry about that.

No problem. You're not expected to know. It's something I've been observing for a while.

It's something that needs to change though. The current attitudes can't sustain KC:MM as it is.

Rosetta-Hime
    Holy Kitten

• Awards Heart Container Dedicated Hacker >9000 Famous Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #25 on: February 17, 2015, 11:44:51 PM »

While it is true that there are some people have a negative air about them, there are other users that are very friendly and helpful. DSX8 is a good example of this. He tries to explain when people ask, and gives honest critique. He doesn't make lazy mods, and takes his time with everything. Now I'm not saying there aren't other users who are like that, but DSX8 is just the first one that came to mind. For new modders, the community is somewhat "scary." You kinda have that feeling that you don't really belong at first, but then you start to feel welcome. When I joined, I wanted help with a PSA, which many people either don't want to learn, or think they can't. I pretty much had a PSA with ported animations, but after that, I learned how to animate and worked on that. Then I got started on importing, and while I've shown a few models, they're pretty much unfinished (materials and shaders) due to laziness. What I'm trying to get at, is that people that say they can't, probably haven't even attempted. You have to try before you give it up. And even then, keep trying, because you're not going to be like SJS, Albafika, or Nanobuds over night. It's going to take a while.

Asuka
    (@益@)ゞ
    Supreme Kitten

• Awards Sig Contest Winner Heart Container Hey! Listen! Sniper

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #26 on: February 17, 2015, 11:58:50 PM »

I have to disagree with the main statement.
    The release of the next smash, the lack of interest over time from both hackers and users, people simply moving on with their lives and pursuing other interests, and modding this game being reduced to merely importing things is what has caused the most damage.

The "attitude issue" you mention is real, but it's not the main reason why these forums have been dying.

You think the biggest issue is we don't interact with each other?
    Well, I don't know what you expect people to do... randomly talk about their deepest desires and darkest secrets in order to bond?

You say this community isn't friendly, but to be honest this has been a way more friendly community than most out there.
    Just go look at any other community or website based on a hobby or the modding scene of other games, you'll see tons of elitist unfriendly [censored]s.
    Actually, I think I've seen way more [censored]s in smashboards than here.

We even have a big off-topic section where people can be friendly and talk about other things they like.
    Hell, some of the modders from the past are still here only for the off-topic section and the people they've met there.

Reading the thread seems like some of you guys think it's a problem that people don't "help" others, but I ask you then what do you expect?
    Do you expect the experienced hackers to go out of their way and waste so much time to try and teach the random noobs how to do things?
    There's several tutorials about how to do pretty much all the things we have learned and developed over the years.
    The knowledge is there, it depends on each person to actually pay attention and look it up.

Nobody is going to be like myself, Pik, M2000, Beyond, SDo0m, TurboChaos, among many others in a day, a week, or maybe even a month.
    To draw a parallel here: I'm good at drawing, pretty darn good
    So you're the first member in the list of big dogs pantheon of brawl hacking?
    To quote someone sometime somewhere tonight... "typical velen, narcissistic in every post".
    Sorry, but I couldn't help commenting about this.

I try to encourage them saying they could, but they insist they can't. It's the same thing here on the forums and for our modding community, and nobody gives anyone words of encouragement to, as I said, galvanize their will to create.
    Have you stopped to consider that most people that have that attitude or don't pursue learning something or getting better, or developing a skill, don't do it simply because they have no time or interest in it?

This is very true. People rarely help each other. There arent very many tutorials being made. People get criticized for what they want to make for a hack or mod. The request threads are filling up with no one doing them. (Granted a lot of them are fan characters or have no detail or cant be done)
    From all the people asking help, the majority are either straight up making requests or asking questions that already have an answer in some threads and basic tutorials.
    It's understandable that people don't want to answer the same questions again and again.

You answered yourself the issue about requests.

Oizen
    Global Moderator

Thanks

• Awards King for a Day 128-bit Core Gamer Ceiling Cat >9000

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 12:41:58 AM »

I dont really see the point of this topic.

You can't really force people to be interested in brawl hacking, especially with Smash 4 being out.

Same could be said of forcing people to be helpful, though if you think the KCMM community is unfriendly, then you really haven't been around the internet.

Afterthought
    Extreme Kitten

• Awards Ninja Renowned Hacker >9000

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #28 on: February 18, 2015, 05:48:22 AM »

I dont really see the point of this topic.

You can't really force people to be interested in brawl hacking, especially with Smash 4 being out.

Same could be said of forcing people to be helpful, though if you think the KCMM community is unfriendly, then you really haven't been around the internet.

I think we all know the Internet is a pretty horrible thing, there's loads of people that are simply horrendous. It's just that this forum doesn't make it any better.

I love Smash 4 but that doesn't prevent me from liking whatever Brawl hackers manage to create. But the points mentioned are true; unwillingness to learn, of interest, etc.

And really, in the end, if people refuse to help, there's nothing anyone can do but move on. It does pay to be self-taught but some people simply need that help. I've seen so many topics simply ignored, unless it was started by someone of significance in the forum. It's unfortunate.

so im just saying hopefully somebody can look into this if not ill probably take a shot at it later on because right now im too busy partying with some [censored]es

Velen
    Resident Lucario
    Boss Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #29 on: February 18, 2015, 02:49:37 PM »

@Asuka: I am not going to quote that whole post.
    To clear one thing up: does the person who said "I'm narcissistic in every post" even know what the meaning of the word is? The usage is wrong. The proper word would be conceited, and I'll admit, I think highly of myself in regard to textures, but not much else.

As for the whole interaction thing, you're misunderstanding it: "Meaningful interactions" in this case has to do with good criticism, teaching those who don't know where or what to start with, giving suggestions on their mods, and things like that: interactions that produce a meaningful result. We interact in the off-topic discussion board just fine, it's in places like the WIP thread where those meaningful interactions often break down.

Meaningful, well-thought out critique around here is a rarity, and it's something that there needs to be more of. As well as encouraging people having problems to keep going rather than giving up. You may not be able to do anything about someone's willingness to learn or of interest, but you can try to spark their will to keep going.

As for people who don't spend the time developing the skill, or say "I could never do that" in response to my drawings: I have considered it, I'm even well aware of it. It's the pessimistic way it sounds that irks me.

@Oizen: I said it to you on Skype, and I'll say it again: It's not about forcing people to care about or be interested in Brawl Mods. The very notion of trying to do such a thing is stupid. This is about making doing so inviting.

I've been around the internet plenty. KC:MM is the one website I give most of a damn about. That's why I even made this topic: cause I care about it and think something can be done.

Pages:  1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 12
    Print
    Jump to: