Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How to know if your Model is Too High Poly or Not (Plus information on Nodes)  (Read 4626 times)
Large Leader
I'm shocked I'm allowed to still have this.
Angel Kitten

• Awards Diamond in the Rough Active Contributor Renowned Hacker Super Saiyan Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « on: February 14, 2016, 12:17:11 AM »

Thanks to BlackJax for most (if not all) of this information.

When importing into the newest brawlbox, when you see the MDL0 of the character (what you replace for the new character), you should see some values on the top right window. Facepoint count and Node count are the important ones.

Node count for brawl characters are around 300, although I have seen 600 (that might have been a skin wrapped character, though). Node count is essentially how accurate your skinning is. The more accurate (all the weights have like 0.0000000001 difference), the higher the value. The less accurate, the lower the value. When importing and using Tristripper, it's weight precision. A value of 0.01 should be fine, although you can play around with it and check your results out to see if a higher value would be better (with a value of 0.01, that means that values that are 0.01 apart are considered the same).

Node count can inflate when using the Blend tool a lot while rigging. Keep that in mind.

Facepoint count is the more obvious one. It's a value of all the Faces, Verts, UV Points, and some convoluted stuff that equates to the final value. In a vacuum, a Facepoint count of 17,000 will be around when a model will lag with 4 on screen on Skyloft (iirc). It is important to remember that the Facepoint count only takes into account models that are on screen. So if the model has expressions and has visibility bones set up properly, they won't affect the lag until they show up (but if you did set visibility bones up properly, there won't be a problem at all). This can be seen with Wolf and how his Facepoint count is at 22k, but he doesn't lag (because visibility bones are set up properly).

NOTE: High polycount = High Facepoint count
    Low Facepoint count != Low Polycount

Just because you shaved off 9000 faces, doesn't mean you'll see that much of a reduction of Facepoints. But the best way to reduce Facepoints is by reducing faces.

I have no idea what the formula for calculating it is, but this is what I've found out from asking people and a lot of testing.

Hope you find this information useful.

Quote from: Miacis
    In other words, LURK MORE.
    Quote from: LC-DDM
    In other news, birds fly, sun shines, fishes swim, and the sky is [censored]ing BLUE.
    Quote from: Miacis
    3. ... You seriously don't know who Clinton is?
    Quote from: Haseyo
    If only hacking Brawl paid bills.
    Quote from: Nanobuds
    O snap
    Quote from: DrPanda
    But you are in a Smash Bros. thread.
    You can't have an opinion here.

Lone Devil
    Expert Kitten

• Awards Favorite'd Dedicated Hacker

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 12:35:04 PM »

This needs to be stickied, Very informative.

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: