[Novice] How to Recolor Mr. Game and Watch

Started by KingJigglypuff, April 11, 2017, 03:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

April 11, 2017, 03:15:16 PM Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 04:15:35 AM by KingJigglypuff
From seeing multiple tools made for the sole purpose of making Mr. Game and Watch recolors, I've decided to see just what gives him his colors. Well after a bit of digging through his model file, I've found what gives him his colors and outline. Two CLR0 animations give him his colors, one for his body, and one for his weapons. This tutorial will show you how to recolor Mr. Game and Watch without any outside tools.

What you'll need
-BrawlCrate.
-The FitGameWatch00.pac file. If your build doesn't have one, you can simply rip it from your ISO (using Dolphin) or browse the data partition.

This tutorial is surprisingly not a complex one, so there shouldn't be too many steps. (Pro Tip: To enlarge the images used in this tutorial, just click on them)

1.) Recoloring an Existing Slot
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


1b.) Weapon Color + Outline
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


2.) Adding a New Recolor Slot
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


Even this this was a bit of a niche issue, I hope this helps those who needed it.

Update (8/14/2023): Updated resource links (replaced BrawlBox with BrawlCrate and added a link to the data partition) and added a note about how the CLR0's animation frames work.
I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread
[move][/move]

Wow, nice job, KJP! This is way more explanatory than the original tutorial! ;D
:kdance:

I never knew there was an existing tutorial prior to this one. Even then, it's probably heavily outdated in more ways than one since Brawl modding tools have advanced greatly since then.
I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread
[move][/move]

 No, it's the same exact method, but even so, the only way it's better than yours is that he mentioned that the different colors are for each costume; yours is better in every regard :)

April 11, 2017, 03:41:58 PM #4 Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 04:13:23 PM by KingJigglypuff
I feel the colors part should be self explanatory.

Edit: Though I added a bit of a pointer in the tutorial just in case.
I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread
[move][/move]

Thank you, I've always wondered how to give Game and Watch more slots, now he can have 10 costumes like the rest of my cast.

I want to suggest adding that some of the first colors aren't lined up with the actual costume order, so people wouldn't assume it is while following the tutorial.
[black]ㅤlㅤ[/black]

[black]ㅤlㅤ[/black]


August 13, 2023, 11:56:31 PM #7 Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 12:12:27 AM by KingJigglypuff
That's not true. If you look at Game and Watch's CSSConfig file (CSSSlot12.dat) and his model file (FitGameWatch00.pac), you'll see that everything lines up with the frames within the CLR0 animations inside his Animation Data 0 BRRES archive.
I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread
[move][/move]

You're assuming the person is already using BrawlEX and has a CSSConfig in the first place.

Which WOULD be the case if they were using a build as a starting point, but the question then would be... which one?
[black]ㅤlㅤ[/black]

[black]ㅤlㅤ[/black]


After staring at this animation and the game (vBrawl specifically) for a bit, I think I understand what you were getting at initially.

Though now that I get it, I should elaborate. The frames of the FitGameWatchColorAnim correlate to his costume IDs (Example: FitFighter00, FitFighter01, etc). This is a constant, regardless of whether or not a user has a BrawlEx build.

I'll go ahead and add a minor note to the OP about it.
I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread
[move][/move]