Virt V9's amateur textures: CHUN-LI

Started by Virt V9, June 21, 2010, 07:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

June 21, 2010, 07:01:16 AM Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 06:16:21 AM by Virt V9
For latest updates on whatever I might be doing, visit KOO.PAC Team

Chun-Li

......

......

There have been a lot of Chun Li projects attempted, by good hackers, but I'm not sure I've ever seen any of them released. Maybe getting this character perfect is so important that by the time you might get it finished, the techniques you're using are obsolete. Or maybe something HAS been released somewhere, and now I look silly for making this. But I don't think so. Anyway, this is a pretty extensive vertex, so hopefully I'll at least have the edge in that regard.

Hair completely redone. Ribbons and Bracelets added. Legs and feet are appropriately sized. The texturing's my best work thus far. And it's released.


Rayman

......

......

......

This is now, probably the coolest thing I've done on the internet.

It's not perfect. Zooming in, particularly on the back of the head, is not polite. But it definitely looks better than my other stuff thus far. Obviously, the limbs have been pinched away. The head has been completely reshaped. I used some spare polygons to add a 3d knot to the back of his bandanna. I renamed a few bones to make his hair permanent, and as I understand it, that's probably going to screw up your Wifi (I never really use Wifi, so I've never paid attention to that)

Looks pretty sweet in motion. Body parts flying everywhere, accentuated by Luigi's strange animations.

FBI Special Agent Francis York Morgan
(Please, call him York. That's what everyone calls him.)

......

For those who don't know, this is the hero of the strangest game of the last several years, Deadly Premonition. You should go look it up. Anyway, my Smash crew essentially demanded that this texture must happen. So I took it as an exercise in learning Photoshop techniques. The result is...adequate. Also attempted to make a stage, but you don't want to see the results of that. I did however Brawlitize 9 DP songs (which if you've played the game, you'd know that's basically the whole soundtrack), but I've never really bothered to upload songs before, so I won't worry about it unless someone wants them.

Balloon Fighter

The Balloon Fighter. Now with a balloon! (and a harness, a helmet, and a nose)

You'd think that this sort of vertex wouldn't hold itself together, but it seems to work surprisingly well. Plus, due to the physics behind the backpack (or something), when you're in the air, the Balloon will actually follow wherever you point the stick. (most evident when descending from a single jump). Totally looks like I did that on purpose. (I did not)


......

...


That aside, this isn't the best of work. Zooming in you can find several little holes in the texture, some of which I don't have a clue how they got there. The Balloon hasn't been reshaped at all yet, it looks fine in motion, for the most part, but one side of it is very flat. I should really take the time to experiment a little more with different angles and lengths of string. But I'd rather have something imperfect, uploaded and available, then to sit on it until I think it's perfect. That's why "amateur" is in the topic title.

Also, I'm still a terrible artist, and in the end decided to borrow from another texture rather than stick to my own abilities (which produced a two tone monstrosity) So I used Pako1034's Balloonist as a starting point. There's an issue, in that I don't think that's the same Pako from StackSmash, and the PM button seems to point to a dead account. So basically, I don't know who made it, and posted it anyway. But it appears that the original was basically a copy-paste job from Blue Mario, so hopefully it isn't a big deal.

Any feedback you might have to offer would be VERY appreciated. Especially if you find that I did something stupid, so I can hopefully be able to fix it.

__________________

Uh, hey. Another new guy thread. Been using textures for a long time, generally as the hack guy for an SSB club on campus. But now that it's summer and I have free time, I thought I'd try my hand at actually making some, and these are the products of a few afternoons. They aren't great, but I'm pretty excited just to have made something.

Spike (Ape Escape)

Spike, the protagonist of the original Ape Escape! I Used Syrus's "No backpack/hat brim" file as a starting point, and the spikiness of his hat was done (somewhat sloppily) by me. Comes with a free stun club.

...
(not sure why his hat looks pixelized in this shot. Hopefully just something with the BIN converter)

Here's a comparison pic. (as I'd guess he's not familiar to a lot of people)

Escaping Ape

One of Ape Escape's titular Escaping Apes! The jetpack is designed to look vaguely like UFO tech. The Hat was removed by Jack H. The helmet was shaped out from his head (ouch) by me.

...


Thanks Noah.

Well, I wasn't expecting too much response. Imagining myself as another user, I don't know what sorts of things I would have to say about these either. So I'll take the disinterest as a sign that there's nothing terribly wrong with them.

On to some noob questions. Does anyone know of an FAQ type page regarding (vertex) removing and (texture) erasing pieces of characters? I seem to remember skimming one a while ago (enough to remember that Zelda is the easiest), but can't find it again, if it ever existed.

Was doing some testing on different chatercters. Erasing all the textures, then looking at the Brawlbox preview, Zelda and Luigi nearly disappeared, but Diddy did not, so I assumed that I found the distinction I'd heard about where some parts can be erased and some can't. But then moving those textures into the game showed that Zelda works, But Luigi looked the same as Diddy. Naturally, I didn't do this second testing right away, and ended up wasting a fair amount of time on a concept which is probably impossible.

(Rayman Luigi, if you're curious. Erasing limbs and patching the holes would be medium difficulty. Without being able to just erase, I'm not sure how one could pull it off)

Most of the stuff I want to try and do falls under the purview of "why hasn't someone made this yet?" and I have to assume there's a good reason for a lot of them, but I might as well give them a shot. But anyway, if anyone knows a decent guide off the top of their head, I'd love if you point me in it's direction.

Not bad for your first few hacks Spike, they are better than my first few. :D you should learn how to color without cel-shadedness though.
I DONT TAKE REQUESTS.


Oh, definitely. This is pretty much the first time I've touched Photoshop, so I was learning the basics of it as I went, and didn't get very far. Fortunately, the AE style doesn't call for a huge amount of detail (though it makes for a big contrast with Diddy's fur.)


o.m.g. that balloon fighter is amazing :happy:


Married Mai Self nvm

wow thats your 3rd hack on your topic and its hella EPIC. Nice job. XD
I DONT TAKE REQUESTS.


No offence to cukoos, but I like this balloon fighter better.

Heheh...Uh, hi. So, I finally gave up on perfecting the Deadly Premonition stuff, and I finally got ahold of the new 3dsMax (and by the new one, I mean the old one, version 8), so I can do awesome stuff once again! This here, is pretty awesome. It looks great in motion (limbs flying everywhere, as it should be). Pinching the limbs away was the easy part. Since taking these pictures I've been doing a LOT more work on the head. That should look pretty good too when it's done, but before I go too much further into that I figure I should ask:

EDIT: Nevermind. I ended up finding an appropriate tutorial myself. So I'm not a terrible person after all.

Would someone be so kind as to tell me how to get rid of his hat?
Basically, I need to do what Dingo has done about two dozen times. Turn off one polygon permanently, and turn on another. Actually, he did the exact same hack I need, but I couldn't use it as a starting point, because whatever modification it did, the file couldn't run through AIS, so I figured, I'd just save the hat for last, and then replicate whatever he and others have been doing.
But, I don't have any idea what this technique would be called, so I dunno how to search for it. suppose I could just PM Dingo, but I'll try the passive route first. Plus maybe this way I'll build up some hype or something. (probably not. There's not even any texturing done yet.)





Rayman? On Luigi? This is gonna be awesome.
[white]: SW-2632-7270-6724[/white]



Dude at least you can vertex, DDVB won't enev like me XP
]I'm just going to try and learn Mariokart's methodm, rayman is looking boss! once its done I'd download it, I only have like 3 luigi slots used :P
Please stop by my site!
[PICTURE REMOVED. Reason: Total signature pic size exceeds 695x200.]

Man, that Rayman looks like its going to be really awesome.
If you need any help with the texture I would be more than glad to offer my assistance.

great job on the ray man hack!
My 3DS friend info, just PM me and I'll add you.
Name:James
FC:0216-0855-5243
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.