Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: SD card is write-protected and I can't un-write protect it  (Read 26718 times)
(specter)
Holy Kitten

• Awards KCMM Veteran Heart Container Active Contributor

• View Profile Awards
    « on: January 16, 2011, 07:51:36 PM »

Title.

I've had this SD card for about three years and it's been fine up until at least sometime after November 13th 2010 because that's when I installed Smash Stack and started hacking for the first time.

I use a 2GB SanDisk SD card made for Nintendo and a SanDisk MobileMate SD+ SD card reader since my computer is ancient and has no SD card slots so I have to use USB ports.

The stupid thing keeps sporadically write-protecting itself without me even touching the lock switch. I tried flicking the switch up before inserting it into my SD card reader and then down (locked) before inserting, but it made no difference where the switch was. I'll be modifying files or saving files to my SD card and it'll bring up an error that says the disk is write-protected and says I need to remove the write protection. Usually I can fix this by safely removing the hardware, then unplug it and replug it back into the USB and the write protection gets removed. However this time I've tried inserting the SD card reader about five different times and it's not changing!  Oh shi~

So I really need some help hear or I will never be able to add anymore hacks to my game anymore until I can get it to stop locking all the damn time.

scorcher9910
    Hyper Kitten

Flippin' tables and takin' names.

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 10:26:14 PM »

New SD card?

If an SD breaks, it breaks. Not much you can do about it.

(specter)
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 10:43:05 PM »

New SD card?

If an SD breaks, it breaks. Not much you can do about it.

Well I wouldn't say it broke, unless you didn't mean it broke physically and just meant it crapped out.

scorcher9910
    Hyper Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 11:15:46 PM »

I meant that if the SD just dies, you really can't fix it.

(specter)
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 11:17:00 PM »

maybe one of the prongs on sd broke happened to me once just ripped broken prongs off

The what...? Anyway, I just inspected my SD card closely and nothing is broken, damaged, or anything.

I meant that if the SD just dies, you really can't fix it.

Oh well we don't know for sure yet if it's totally dead.

Miniova
    Extreme Kitten

Real life strikes again!

• Awards Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 12:54:46 AM »

maybe one of the prongs on sd broke happened to me once just ripped broken prongs off
    I think he was talking about an internal thing in the sd....  only way you could've checked to see if that was messed up was to open the sd card up and look at it....
    You're probly gonna have to buy a new sd card

People if you have anything you need to ask me(especially the katana ness thing) please talk to me over AIM. I'll be more than happy.  AIM is Gradybryson1993

SiLeNtDo0m
    Suffering from Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
    Overlord Kitten

WHAT IN TARNATION?!

• Awards Former PMDT Featured Heart Container >9000

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 01:51:55 AM »

I had this problem once.  Is your SD card lockable?  If so flick the little thing that toggles the locking. 

TheHatMan
    Hyper Kitten

hee hee he...ITS SHOW TIME!

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 06:25:21 AM »

most SD cards have a lock switch on the side, usually if its flicked down, its locked and can't be used, flick the switch up to unlock it. if thats not the problem, then its the SD card.

The File Patch Code can sometimes do strange things to an SD card, on some instances, it can corrupt the SD's Memory loader, preventing users from accessing data (don't worry gents, this is rare)

"I love shanking people" -Sephy (that isnt dirty in anyway)

New Project in in motion, XYZ majorly failed, so project "Dissidia" (somewhat related, but not related to Final Fantasy) beginning Tongue

Project Progress: 2%

Need help with Brawl Modding but don't want to make a fuss about it in the help section...PM me

The Corrupted one
    Mega Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 10:01:21 AM »

Yeah I had an issue on my mac where a corrupt file appears in my trash when I plug in my sd and prevents me from deleting anything from the Fighter folder

Feel teh powah of Phazon

(specter)
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 10:51:59 AM »

I had this problem once.  Is your SD card lockable?  If so flick the little thing that toggles the locking. 

Yeah but if you read my OP I said I already tried flicking the switch up before inserting it and down before inserting it.

most SD cards have a lock switch on the side, usually if its flicked down, its locked and can't be used, flick the switch up to unlock it. if thats not the problem, then its the SD card.

The File Patch Code can sometimes do strange things to an SD card, on some instances, it can corrupt the SD's Memory loader, preventing users from accessing data (don't worry gents, this is rare)

Like I just said, I already tried having the SD card locked before inserting and unlocked, so I guess it's something internally that's screwed up.

Oh really? Well, maybe the File Patch Code is the culprit? It's rare, but it can still happen. I could be the one unlucky one that got his SD card fried from that code.

scorcher9910
    Hyper Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 12:56:04 PM »

Oh really? Well, maybe the File Patch Code is the culprit? It's rare, but it can still happen. I could be the one unlucky one that got his SD card fried from that code.

That may actually be it, everyone has said it could happen but no one has really seen it happen.

In theory, it's possible.

(specter)
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 01:07:46 PM »

Here are two pictures of my SD card -- one of each side.

(The quality is bad; sorry. My camcorder fails at taking pictures because it's a cheap $150 one.)

Also, I just tried editing my camcorder's 4GB SanDisk SDHC card using the SD card reader and it allows me to modify its files while my 2GB SanDisk SD card remains write-protected still won't allow me to.
    « Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 01:10:42 PM by (specter) » Logged

(specter)
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 03:01:07 PM »

To me your sd card looks fine and try using wiiexplorer.

I looked it up but I don't really understand what it will allow me to do.

(specter)
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 03:24:10 PM »

Download it from homebrew browser. It lets you move, copy, view images/text documents off of sd/usb/disc/etc. Try moving something and see if you still have that problem.

Can you just link me to the latest version's download and I'll install it and see what I can do.

(specter)
    Holy Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 03:29:29 PM »

I was just there before I asked you to link me, but there are a ton of downloads on there and I have no idea what I'm looking for. Can you just fine the one on that site and link me to it?

Pages:  [1] 2 3 4
    Print
    Jump to: