October 23 2013: Changed the rules regarding signatures and signature size. Make sure your signature takes account of the changes.October 13 2012
: Small edit to the Advertising rule, which now applies to Off-Topic too.September 21 2012
: BrawlVault-specific rules updated and moved to another thread.June 8 2012
: Added a more explicit "Footnote" to explain more about what is necroposting and what isn't.May 23 2012
: Removed rule about CSPs not belonging in the Vault, since the Vault now supports them.Brawl VaultThe rules of the Brawl Vault gallery can be found on this thread.
Make sure to read them before submitting or reporting anything in the Vault.ForumDisruptive Posting
Everything from Flaming to Advertising is forbidden:
- Flaming: Directly or indirectly insulting other members.
Examples: “You idiot”; “Anyone who believes that is a moron”; “Just shut up”; attacking someone based on race, gender, sexuality, etc.
- Trolling:1 Posting with the sole purpose of annoying other users, provoking flames.
Examples: Going into a person’s texture topic and saying “You suck” without offering any actual criticism; posting false information.
- Spamming: Posting worthless topics or messages that contribute nothing to the topic of the forum or thread.
Examples: Repeatedly bumping a topic; double posting2; necroposting - making a post with no useful content in a thread that has had no other posts for over 3 weeks3; posts that consist of just emoticon(s) or text repeated over and over.
- Disruptive Behavior: Posting in a manner that makes things generally unpleasant for other users.
Examples: Posting in ALL CAPS, in topic titles and/or messages; posting illegibly; posting topics in the wrong forum; posting images that are too large (creating horizontal scroll bars or making your post longer than a page); posting unmarked spoilers (game, movie, book, etc).
- Advertising: Encouraging users to visit other websites for personal gain. This does not include links provided when another user asks for them, but includes advertising for hacking teams.
Advertising is allowed in signatures.
- Signatures: Signatures should not be higher than 250 px, including text. Images in signatures should not be more than 695 pixels wide and 200 pixels tall total (even if put in a spoiler). If you're not sure, use this guide.
Keep your signatures SFW (safe-for-work). Moderators have the right to remove any signature that affects the readability of the board.
Whether a post falls under one of the above categories is not always clear and is at the discretion of the moderators.Accounts
- You may have as many accounts as you like.
- Moderations are applied to a user, not an account. This means that any moderations you receive will apply to all of your accounts, not just the one that broke a rule.
- Creating a new account to evade a moderation will result in the new account receiving a moderation at least equal to that on your old account.
- Obscene material is not allowed. We’ll permit nakedness if sexual areas are censored. Sexual acts are strictly prohibited, regardless of censoring, as are gore and any image that could be considered disturbing.
- Many slurs attacking race, sexuality, nationality, et cetera are censored. Bypassing these censors (for example, using $ instead of s) is not allowed.4 Note that finding a word that is not censored is not considered permission to use it.
- Using any non-censored word (i.e. “gay”) to imply an insult (i.e. “stupid”) is considered offensive.
- Linking to or asking for a ROM, ISO, music, or any other copyrighted material, or to any site that provides such material, is prohibited.
This does not apply to files from the Brawl ISO.
It does apply to providing music in the Music Requests section. If someone says they'll do your request if you provide the music, you must send it via PM or e-mail.
- Encouraging someone to break a law is prohibited.
All of the above rules apply equally to regular posting and PMs unless noted. (See Illegal Activity for an example of exemption for PMs.)Warning Levels
There are five warning levels:
Level 0, Normal: This is what your average user has right now.
Level 1, Warned: No functional difference from normal, but another infraction will bump you to Level 2. Goes away after two weeks.
Level 2, Moderated: All posts must be approved by a moderator before they appear on the forum. Goes away after one week.
Level 3, Mute: Read-only. Goes away after one week.
Level 4, Banned: Cannot view the forum. May or may not go away.
The level you receive depends on the severity of the infraction and the discretion of the moderator. Your current warning level appears under your name in posts and near the bottom of your profile summary. (You don’t see anything if you’re Level 0.)
When the time on your level expires, you will return to Level 0 unless you were banned, in which case you will return to Level 1.
If you are warned, you will receive a PM directing you to your moderated post, where you’ll find a reason for your moderation. You will receive a PM when your warning level is reduced as well.Reporting an Infraction
These rules and punishments are worthless if they are not enforced. However, moderators cannot see everything, so we need your help to keep everything orderly.
That means if you see an infraction, report it! At the end of every post, just above and to the right of the signature, you’ll find a “Report to moderator” link. Click that to let us know what’s going on, and we’ll take care of it right away.Contesting a Moderation
If you receive a moderation and think it was unjust or have a question about it, you can use the Moderation Corner
to have the moderation team address your issue.
Note that the moderation corner has its own rules
that must be obeyed.