Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2 3 4 ... 166
Author Topic: [Official] Project M discussion: RIP  (Read 734547 times)
nanobuds
Overlord Kitten

• Awards Former PMDT Sniper Diamond in the Rough >9000

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « on: November 09, 2011, 03:30:29 PM »

Official Site  |  Youtube Page

Latest Version:
    Project M 3.5

About Project M
    (taken from the official site)
    Project M is a community-made mod of Brawl inspired by Super Smash Bros. Melee's gameplay designed to add rich, technical gameplay to a balanced cast of characters while additionally enhancing the speed of play. Project M employs new codes which seamlessly add in new, universal features to the entire cast to add technical variety to all characters.

The Project Goal:
    Project M hopes to achieve a game similar to Super Smash Bros. Melee in many respects. It does not, however, intend to be a 1:1 Melee clone. The following is a list of the main aspects of Super Smash Bros. Melee that inspired and have carried over into Project M:

1. A fast-paced game with flowing, natural movement.

2. The balance of offense and defense changes depending on the exact matchup and playstyle, but overall tends to favor offense slightly.

3. Offstage edgeguarding is risky but rewarding, while on-stage edgeguarding is safer but less rewarding.
    Recoveries generally require great skill to use, with the advantage usually being with the edgeguarding player, with some exceptions.

4. The combos are challenging and spontaneous, with anything longer than 2-3 hits requiring a knowledge of both characters' options and some degree of prediction and/or a deep understanding of the mental aspect of the game.

Latest News:

3.6 Trailer
    <a href="http://youtu.be/rcJHZCuaG84" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtu.be/rcJHZCuaG84</a>

« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 11:12:58 PM by Nαnobuds » Logged

Ninka_kiwi
    Holy Kitten

Burn my Dread

• Awards 16-bit Core Gamer Super Saiyan Topic Starstormer Pin Collector

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 01:44:07 PM »

Extra space now that the thread has been hijacked by Nano.
    I'll just use this spot for hype ass pics.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 07:09:51 PM by Ninka_kiwi » Logged

LC-DDM
    Not your average sprite!
    Special Access

Voted "Best Guest for Campfires".

• Awards Heart Container Good Citizen KCMM Veteran 128-bit Pro Gamer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 04:44:10 PM »

One word, three letters:

Meh.

SiLeNtDo0m
    Suffering from Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
    Overlord Kitten

WHAT IN TARNATION?!

• Awards Former PMDT Featured Heart Container >9000

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 05:14:13 PM »

One word, three letters:

Meh.

Because Ignorance is Bliss

Shun_One
    Lol Kitten

• Awards >9000 Star Hacker Smash 3 Team Pin Collector

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 05:17:11 PM »

Or it could just not be his cup of tea...

Anyway, looking forward to messing around in it for a bit. Let's go Ike.

SiLeNtDo0m
    Suffering from Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
    Overlord Kitten

WHAT IN TARNATION?!

• Awards Former PMDT Featured Heart Container >9000

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 05:19:17 PM »

Or it could just not be his cup of tea...

Anyway, looking forward to messing around in it for a bit. Let's go Ike.

In the case of LC, it's a mixture of both and trust me when I calling it "not his cup of tea" would be an understatement XD

Shun_One
    Lol Kitten

• Awards >9000 Star Hacker Smash 3 Team Pin Collector

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 05:21:23 PM »

In the case of LC, it's a mixture of both and trust me when I calling it "not his cup of tea" would be an understatement XD

I'll take your word for it. I'm not familiar with him.

Quick Draw -> JC -> wave-dash -> jab string

Velen
    Resident Lucario
    Boss Kitten

Insert totally self gratifying [censored] here. ; )

• Awards Famous Hacker Sniper Heart Container Ceiling Cat

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 05:29:19 PM »

Honestly. There are some things, from what I have read so far on the website. That kinda just make me go "bleh" and some that make me go "yeh".

I could understand needing the Top-Tier's from Melee to be just as they were in Melee to balance the cast...IF it weren't for the fact that doing so is basically like saying "These characters were perfect as they were in Melee."

When I think of a sequel, I think : Everyone gets their buffs, everyone gets their nerfs. Some new things are added that are quite nice. Balancing is made. All is good.

To me, exempting the Top Tier characters from Melee from this line of thinking is asinine if you are going for what you envision for a true sequel (by paraphrasing of SDo0M's own words).

Not just the other characters, but everyone, should be balanced. Not just balanced to match the Top-Tiers.

Once everyone has gotten their buffs and nerfs, the Top-Tiers should be subjected to minor gameplay and mechanics changes in order to make them different from their Melee counterparts, instead of making them vanilla copies of their Melee incarnations. If we're going for something of a sequel in terms of gameplay, why would I want more of the same of what I had in the last game, on any character?

That's my two cents, but I get the feeling SDo0M will rebuke and talk down to me since my thinking isn't entirely in-line with Project M's current "grand design". >_>

*Leaves the thread promptly.
    « Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 05:30:38 PM by Velen » Logged

Gamma Ridley
    ~Mercenary~
    Boss Kitten

• Awards Featured Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Famous Hacker

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 06:27:16 PM »

I'm looking forward to it, since I've been wanting a faster-paced Brawl since day one.

Though I am disappointed that Ganon and Falco went straight back to being straight-up clones. I can understand the reasoning behind it, but still. /:

Too bad I won't be able to try it for a while since I only have Dolphin. :c

SJS
    Clastic Sandtastic
    Brawl Vault Staff

• Awards The Gentlepin Hyperactive Contributor >9000 Hey! Listen!

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 06:30:32 PM »

I think it would be cooler if it had new portraits.

Just kidding.

Mostly.

I don't really think anything of it since I haven't tried it. If anything, I think it'll be an interesting way to change up Brawl a bit.

Double D.
    Hyper Kitten

--Temet Nosce--

• Awards Hot Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 06:37:54 PM »

In defense of Project M and its team, I like the fact that these guys came together to craft something for the Melee fanatics, the transition from Melee to Brawl was a pretty harsh one, character balancing-wise so I get that. On the other hand, I kinda agree with Velen...I kinda envisioned it to be like a Melee atmosphere but with character balancing all across the board, not just remaking certain characters into their former selves while everyone else tweaked to match up with them.

One thing that resonated strongly with me was how some characters got buffs and moveset tweaks that were very much needed without the atmosphere of Melee...seeing Wario take on his Wario Land style and Ike gaining much needed tweaks like the many uses of Quickdraw, Ness getting his PK Thunders a much needed boost...stuff like that, is awesome and I actually wish that I could use these fixes in all the different types of Brawl we have released without the physics being tied specifically to Melee.

I don't wanna sound like im complaining because an individual can take that and feel unappreciated and step away from releasing hacks publicly, I can't do what these guys did and its dope that they are attempting to make something new or different. But anyways, that just my two cents.

Victory Badguy
    Slightly Different
    Holy Kitten

Electrolytes!

• Awards Staff Helper KCMM Veteran Pin Collector Dedicated Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 06:47:23 PM »

In my experience P:M discussions don't end well, but let's see how this one goes.

I for one think that Project M is brilliant.  A bunch of guys got together and instead of complaining about a game not being how they wanted it to be, decided to remake the game to fit their tastes.  Gotta give 'em credit for their determination at least.  Besides, they're doing some pretty cool stuff with it.  Remaking the Brawl characters to fit within the Melee engine must be hell to do and the fact that they aren't just tweaking attack/frame data but they're actually reworking how the characters function just blows my mind.  If they manage to balance it all out it'll be a work of art.  Not to mention how much they're doing with the base mechanics.  Bringing back wavedashing is great and all, but adding stuff like aerial glidetossing for more options during battle is even better.

I imagine I'll spend much of my "Smash time" playing around with Project M once it's 100% done.

SonicBrawler
    Magical Girl
    Overlord Kitten

Bae

• Awards Star Hacker Active Contributor Renowned Hacker Heart Container

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 07:09:30 PM »

Im so glad i figured out how to use P:M on my dolphin. Just in case im too lazy to put it on my SD card. Once its out, I can make a vid if you pplz want me to

LC-DDM
    Not your average sprite!
    Special Access

Voted "Best Guest for Campfires".

• Awards Heart Container Good Citizen KCMM Veteran 128-bit Pro Gamer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 07:12:31 PM »

Because Ignorance is Bliss

No, because "[censored] tourney[censored]s" and [censored] "Melee 2.0". :V They wanted an expansion pack, not a [censored] sequel. Well now they made their own, I hope they're happy.

Ninka_kiwi
    Holy Kitten

Burn my Dread

• Awards 16-bit Core Gamer Super Saiyan Topic Starstormer Pin Collector

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 07:13:07 PM »

I honestly cannot complain about P:M till I actually play it.
    I'm more then hyped due to some of the changes I've seen.
    Pit with an Air dash, Lucario with Ryu like attacks and combo ability, wario with an actually viable moveset, these types of things are just awesome to me.
    for those wondering, the demo will have more then half the cast, so get hyped.

Pages:  [1] 2 3 4 ... 166
    Print
    Jump to: