Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Windhunter7's Blender Importing Tutorial(Blender to Brawl)  (Read 56762 times)
windhunter7
BrawlVault Gatekeeper
Angel Kitten

Check out my website for tutorials and more! :)

• Awards Famous Hacker Super Saiyan Topic RAGE!! Hyperactive Contributor

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « on: October 15, 2015, 03:52:24 PM »

Update (9/14/2019): Updated info on Blender
    Most Crucial Update Ever: Officially, this tutorial is now complete! FAQs may be added, and video
                 guides in addition will also be added, but the text tutorial is complete!
    A completely revamped video tutorial series will be coming! Subscribe on my website to get notified of when:                     https://dragongames7.wixsite.com/mainpage/subscribe
    Helpfull Hint: Press the 'Z' key to toggle wireframe in Blender; this is a really helpful toggle to use, especially with
                 Weight Paint.

Tutorial for 3DS Max(NOT by me, but I support it Smiley ): http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=41996.0

Donate: https://dragongames7.wixsite.com/mainpage/donate  Kirby Dance Kirby Dance Kirby Dance

*Note: Please use this tutorial instead, if you can! It's more updated, but only supports some fighters; after I finish the preset files for all fighters, I will deprecate this tutorial, and this page will only contain the FAQ!*
    Video Tutorial (Full, just be sure to also use this text tutorial as a guideline for many things, especially the FAQ):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soU3c3heKIU&t=1s

I. Required Programs

Blender Preset Files (For Ease of Rigging):
                              https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1sdlRW6Rw8NmTPDlrPgGdaPgxg_FUes9l
                 Brres Viewer:
                              http://www.mediafire.com/file/zdr4chm4m3pzyj7/brresviewer.rar
                 Blender 2.78(Or 2.79; Due to the new Blender 2.8 being out, and it being so different, I am not sure if it's compatible, so please use a version of 2.78 or 2.79 only):
                              http://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.78/
                              Later Release Available Here: https://www.blender.org/
                 FBX Converter 2013.3:
                              http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Image-Convertors/Autodesk-FBX-Converter.shtml
                 BrawlBox 0.78(Preferable):
                              http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=214043
                 BrawlBox 0.77(Alternative):
                              http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=212010
                 BrawlBox 0.71(In Addition):
                              http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=35494

II. Getting the Brawl Model into Blender

1) Export the Model You're Replacing(Vanilla Brawl) as a .dae
                 2) Using FBX Converter 2013.3(Link above), convert to .fbx(2013)
                 3) Import the .fbx of the Model into Blender first, then the Model That You Wish to Import(Don't Forget to
                              Delete the Stuff in the 3D View Before Importing)
                 4) Rescale(Possibly Also Rotate and/or Translate) the Model Over the Vanilla Brawl Model(You also want to
                              make sure that your character's arms, legs, etc. are in the same rotations and positions as the
                              Vanilla Brawl model)
                 5) Delete the Model Parts from the Vanilla Brawl Model

III. Rigging and Reposing Your Model

(Note: There is a bug that normally prevents the 3rd finger on a character from getting
                              imported correctly; the fix is, BEFORE parenting the rigged model to the fbx bones, go into Edit
                              Mode on the fbx bones, and delete the buggy finger bones; then duplicate two of the working
                              fingers, and rename them to the same name as the ones you deleted)
                 (Note: Check the FAQ, the first question, for more info on this)
                 6) Rig Your Model to the Armature(I HIGHLY Recommend Using Bones Generated from a PSK Export from
                              the Program Brres Viewer, As "Rigging" Bones, and Then Reparenting to the Original Armature
                              After Rigging); also, after completion of weighting(IF Weight Paint is used to rig), enter Weight
                              Paint Mode and do a "Normallize All" on a bone that you did NOT edit the weights of.

IV. Importing Your Model to BrawlBox & Finalizing the Import

7) Export from Blender as a .fbx, but BEFORE clicking "Save", go to the Armature options
                              and uncheck "Add Leaf Bones"
                 8] Using FBX Converter, convert this to a .dae
                 9) In Brawlbox 0.77/.78, the character's file, right-click the MDL0, and hit Replace, and choose the .dae
                              file; the only settings to worry about are that the top three options are set to True; if and only if
                              this crashes, proceed to steps 10 - 16; otherwise, skip to step 17!
                 10) If Crash... First, make sure that all vertices have weight on them; if they do, proceed to steps 11-16
                 11) Another reason for crashing BrawlBox is either hidden data(Which is exceedingly rare, but to fix, you
                              can export to the .3ds format, import the .3ds file, and redo the rigging), or, the more common
                              reason is because certain, random times, if you have more than one mesh, it won't let you
                              import all of them
                 12) To fix this problem with the multiple meshes, first export each mesh separately(One, different mesh
                              + the armature for every single .fbx export)
                 13) Then, convert all of the .fbx files to .dae with the Converter
                 14) Replace your model MDL0 with one .dae file(Doesn't matter which)
                 15) Save, and then replace the MDL0 with another .dae file, and after it imports, export it as a .mdl0;
                              repeat for every other .dae file needed

Note: The next steps are ALL with Brawlbox 0.71

16) Open the file you saved, and, using BrawlBox 0.71's "Add New Object", do that on the MDL0 with
                              each .mdl0 file(Use default settings); repeat for each .mdl0
                 17) Save, exit, and reopen
                 18) Expand the MDL0
                 19) Expand the Bones folder; if, and only if, there's a bone called "Armature", right-click TopN and click
                              "Add to Parent", then delete "Armature"
                 20) Save, Exit, and Reopen, then expand the MDL0 again
                 21) Expand the Objects folder and Materials folder
                 22) In the Materials folder, every material should have a + next to it; if there are any that don't, right-
                              click it and "Add Reference Texture"(If I remember the name right), then right-click that new
                              reference and Rename to whatever you want the texture to be called(Case-Sensitive)
                 23) In the Objects folder, for each "polygon" listed, Scroll down to "Visibility Bone", and make sure it's set
                              to the same as the original Vanilla Brawl Model
                 24) Then right-click on the TextureData[0] and Import your Texture(s), with the same name(s) as in the
                              Materials folder's materials(AKA the names after you expand the materials, not the material
                              names themselves); then delete the Vanilla Brawl textures
                 25) Test animations and in-game to see if it works, as well as for testing if it's glitched at all!

V. FAQ

1 Q: I'm really confused by step 6; how do you do that thing with the .psk that you mentioned?

A: Open up the .pac file with the program Brres Viewer, and export the model as a .psk, then do the following steps(ONLY two of these steps actually take more than a few seconds!)(Note: These steps are also including the latter part of step 4, and step 5):
    1) Import both the .psk AND .fbx of the vBrawl model into Blender
    2) Rotate the .psk model and bones -90 on the Z axis (Exactly) and scale it down to match the exact same scale
                 as the .fbx bones/model
    3) Delete the model attached to the PSK, and hide both the bones and the model from the .fbx
    4) Rig your model to the PSK bones(This is what takes the longest, and is one of the two mentioned steps)
    5) If the limb lengths or rotations of your model are NOT matching those of the vBrawl model, enter Pose Mode on
                 the PSK bones, and rotate and/or translate the bones until your model is posed in the same T-Pose
                 position as the vBrawl model; the result should be that if you have both models visible and go into
                 Wireframe Mode, and select one, the other should basically be right on top of it(This is the other of the
                 mentioned steps)
    6) (Optional) I highly, HIGHLY recommend backing up your file here, just in case you're not content with the
                 rigging or the positioning/posing you did, because it's a lot easier to edit those with the .psk bones than    
                 with the .fbx ones
    7) (You have to do this part separately for each mesh) Select one of the meshes rigged to the PSK bones and click
                 Apply for the Armature Modifier; do the same with the other meshes, if applicable
    8] Select all and go to Oject->Parent->Clear and Keep Transformation
    9) Delete the vBrawl model that's currently attached to the .fbx bones, as well as the PSK bones(AKA the
                 "ArmObject" armature)
    10) Select all the meshes, THEN shift-select the Armature, and hit Ctrl+P and click on "With Empty Groups"; you
                 are now ready for exporting!

2 Q: Is there a shortcut to rig a mesh to one single bone, rather than have to click on ALL those vertices to weight them?

A: Yes. After going into Weight Paint mode and selecting the bone, click on just one vertex, then in the weight tools, click on "Invert"; then click on that one spot again so everything is red.

3 Q: When my model is imported into Brawlbox, there are a bunch of vertices that are either exploding or rigged weirdly, causing gaps on parts; how do I fix that?

A: For exploding vertices, do the "Normalize All" step mentioned in Step 6, and if the problem still persists, use BrawlBox's weight editor and just change the values of the rigging, even if it's 0.001 difference. For the gaps, that's usually easily fixable by, in Blender, going into Edit Mode on the mesh and press spacebar and type in "Remove Doubles" and click on that. It will remove duplicate vertices, and should fix it.

4 Q: I have this weird problem where, if I'm in the center of a stage, it's fine, but if I go towards the edge, random vertices start going towards the center of the stage. What's causing this, and how do I fix it?

A: It's being caused by vertices being rigged partially(Or fully) to a bone that doesn't get translated; like TopN, for example; the fix is to remove those weights, so it's only rigged to the correct bones.

5 Q: In BrawlBox, the model looks perfectly fine, and the texture resolutions are even powers of 2, but in-game, it's not using the correct textures at all. How do I fix this?

A: Make sure that you have the textures actually imported into the TextureData[0] brres, and that the name of the texture in the materials has the same case(It IS case-sensitive)

6 Q: I tried to follow the tutorial, but I'm completely lost. What do I do?

A: Just go to my Discord channel and request tutoring. Simple as that. Alternatively, until I find the time to make the revamped tutorial videos, you can still look at the old ones below.(Under "Useful Links")

7 Q: I just did some heavy weight editing on one glove/boot, and I don't want to have to do all that same work on the other one; is there a way to skip this, or duplicate it to the other side?

A: Yes; the steps to fix it are as follows: 1) Delete the other side that you're going to copy(For example, if you have one mesh that has left and right boots, you would go into Edit Mode, select the vertices of the boot that you didn't do the weight edits on, and delete those); 2) Duplicate the mesh, and leave it at the same spot, then Mirror on Global X axis(If done right, it should *seem* like it did before, but you still have to fix the rigging); 3) Make sure that the mesh is NOT AT ALL parented to ANY armature at all, and then in Vertex Groups, right-click each one that has the letter L or R(Which one depends on which side this glove/boot copy is on) and Rename, changing the L/R to the other; then reparent to whatever armature it was parented to and/or merge it back with the other mesh(If applicable)

8 Q: There are splits in my mesh, kind of similar to rips or tears; is there a way to fix this?

A: Yes; in Edit Mode, select one vertex of the split, and another vertex that is directly across(For example, if you're starting at the top of the rip, it would be the two vertices at the top that are on opposite sides of the rip); then, press spacebar and start typing in "Merge"; then after clicking on that, you have various options, and although each one is for a different purpose, most of the time, you'll want to use "At Center"

9 Q: Moveset effects are on the wrong parts and/or weird shielding/grabbing glitches, or similar types of oddities; what's causing this, and what is the fix?

A: This is caused by incorrect bone IDs; first, make sure that when you export the model from Blender, that "Add Leaf Bones" is NOT checked; if you don't, you'll have to manually delete all the bones in BrawlBox that end in "_end"; also, make sure to delete the "Armature" bone if it does in fact get created

10 Q: You mentioned that you have to do a "Normalize All" to fix the exploding vertices, but the vertices are still exploded. What should I do?

A: Don't fret; this is simply a glitch in Blender, where it didn't actually normalize everything because of a selection bug; just make sure that, while in Weight Paint Mode, you're also in Pose Mode on the bones, and you right-click a bone(A different bone than the initial one selected when you first have both Pose Mode and Weight Paint Mode on simultaneously) in the 3D View instead of selecting it in the List View *before* you use "Normalize All"

11 Q: How do you separate one single mesh into several different ones?

A: Go from Object Mode into Edit Mode, then select the vertices that you want to separate into a different mesh; then go to Object->Vertices->Separate->By Selection

12 Q: When I attempt to do rigging via Automatic Weights, it doesn't weight anything, and instead produces an error. How do I fix it so that Automatic Weights works?

A: 1) Make sure to Remove Doubles first, as double vertices are usually what prevents automatic weights from working; 2) If this still doesn't work, make sure that the model has only 0-1 Vertex Colors, and NO MORE; 3) And if this does not work either, export the model as a .3ds, and import the .3ds model back into Blender; 4) As a LAST resort, if ALL 3 methods do NOT work, use manual weight painting via Empty Groups

13 Q: When I import the armature into Blender, the bones are pointing in all these crazy directions and freaking me out! What did I do wrong?

A: Absolutely nothing! As oddly as this sounds, this is actually what it SHOULD look like when imported into Blender to work properly, which is why I highly recommend using the PSK bones for the rigging and then just swapping armatures, like I outlined earlier in this tutorial!

14 Q: My model that I'm importing is too hi-poly! How do I optimize it so that it doesn't freeze the game?

A: There are two ways to optimize it to not freeze; the first way is the way I recommend, since it still makes it so that you can use HD models and such with Dolphin texture hacks, as well as because it's easier, and that is to replace the texture in Brawlbox with itself, set the format to CMPR (If and only if that doesn't change the effects of the texture), and reduce the dimensions before clicking "OK" (Make sure that the dimensions are in powers of 2, though); the second way is to first do the things I mentioned already in FAQs 3 and 8 to reduce polycount a little bit, and then in addition to these steps, you can also use a Decimate Modifier on the mesh(es) and Apply the modifier; there are different kinds of decimate modifiers, too, and you can learn more about this modifier from the Blender documentation on it (Which is easily findable via Google Search)

15 Q: I tried the "Normalize All" step from FAQ #3, but I still encounter the exploding vertices in BrawlBox, and if I try to select the stray vertices to re-weight them, BrawlBox throws an error! What do I do?

A: Another solution, although seemingly rare to encounter having to need it, is back in Blender, go into Edit Mode on each mesh, select all vertices, and then Object->Vertices->Separate->By Loose Parts, and although you'll have lots of polygons instead of just one per mesh, that should fix it.

16 Q: How do I merge model parts of one import over a character with model parts of another import over that same character? I try to do it in Brawlbox, but there are limits as to what I can do, so how do I do it with Blender?

A: How to do it is the following:
    1) Definitions - Import the first import into Blender as you normally would (Via FBX), and I'll call this import A; then import the second one (It should import with a skeleton named "Armature.001") and I'll call this one B
    2) For B, for each mesh, go to the Modifiers section, and press the x to remove the Armature Modifier(Make sure to do this for all parts you'll be using, then delete the other parts; also delete the parts of A that you won't use)
    3) Select all meshes of B(But NOT the Armature), then go to Object->Parent->Clear and Keep Transformation
    4) WHILE these are still selected, shift-select A's armature(You should have the Armature be bright orange and the model parts dark orange if done correctly)
    5) Press Ctrl+P on your keyboard, then select "With Empty Groups"
    6) Delete B's armature, then you can export as normal (Via FBX, etc.); if Brawlbox crashes (Which sometimes might happen), follow steps 12-16 of the tutorial

17 Q: My model is detached from the skeleton in Brawlbox! In fact, there's like something weird going on, it has two different armatures, instead of just the Brawl one! Help!

A: This happens when you import a model into Blender that's already rigged to a skeleton and then you follow the tutorial (Using manual weight painting). The reason why it happens is kinda complicated to explain, and the fix is unfortunate because it involves having to re-rig from scratch, but the fix is to delete ALL the vertex groups, remove the modifier(s), unparent the model from the armature via Object->Parent->Clear and Keep Transformation, THEN parenting it to the Brawl armature and rigging it from scratch; this is the only known fix that I know of, but if anyone knows Blender well enough to know a work around to not have to redo it from scratch, please send me a message.

18 Q: My model has a problem where its perfectly fine in Blender, and even animates fine, but in Brawlbox, a part of the model, such as a finger or toe, has weird rotations and is basically backwards, but only during the animations

A: With Blender, certain characters have corrupted bones specific to that character, the fix is (in Blender) to Unparent the model from the bones, go into Edit Mode on the bones, copy the data to paper or Notepad or something about the corrupted bones name and X, Y, and Z head and tail positions, as well as its parent and the bones that are parented to it, delete this bone, duplicate a working bone of a similar rotation (i.e. use left leg bones for left leg bones, right leg bones for right leg bones, etc. ), and then give this bone the old bones stats, as well as all bones that had the deleted bone as a parent, make their parents this new bone; then in Brawlbox, the only thing you have to do is move the new bone up or down in the hierarchy ***if*** its not in the proper spot

19 Q: You haven't created a vBrawl preset Blender file yet, or I want to rig over a custom character, such as a BrawlEx custom boneset. How do I create my own Blender preset file?

A: Set aside time for this, as it can take time to do it if you're a perfectionist, but here are the steps to do it:
    1) Export the Brawlbox model as a .dae, and use the FBX Converter to convert it to a .fbx, and import that into Blender
    2) Open up the .pac of the character in Brres Viewer, and export from there as a .psk
    3) Import the .psk into Blender; you'll likely have to enable it, as it's defaultly unchecked in User Preferences
    4) Something very important about the .psk is that all the leaf bones (These are the bones at the end of anything, i.e. fingers, toes, head, etc.) have the head of the bone aligned correctly, but the tail will not be even close to correct, so you have to move these "nubs" back to where they should be, AKA at the tips of the fingers, tips of the toes, top of the head, etc.
    5) Do the Blender bone fix in FAQ #18 (If needed)

VI. Useful Links

How to Rig in BrawlBox:
                              http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=67847.msg1344885#msg1344885
                 OLD Video Tutorial(Going to Be Completely Revamped and Made a LOT More Efficient):
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TcKjPlpL74
                 ALL My FINISHED Tutorials:
                              https://dragongames7.wixsite.com/mods-tutorials/tutorials

For optional further stuff, such as reducing filesize, or help needed, just DM me on Discord, send me a PM, email me at chessmanevan@gmail.com with the Subject line "Brawl Importing Help", or ask a question on the forum of my website: https://dragongames7.wixsite.com/forum

Happy Face Happy Face Happy Face
    « Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 12:10:57 PM by windhunter7 » Logged

DarkDeity
    Extreme Kitten

I WILL GRIND BENEATH MY HEEL...ALL THAT EXISTS!!!

• Awards Hey! Listen!

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 11:03:34 PM »

so hows progress with this tutorial going? a free alternative to autodesk for importing sounds great. and unless theres a tutorial for gmax, im pretty much stuck with blender lol

I WILL GRIND BENEATH MY HEEL...ALL THAT EXISTS!!!

windhunter7
    BrawlVault Gatekeeper
    Angel Kitten

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 03:26:15 PM »

Okay, I guess. Since I'm doing the tutorial while working on Wolf Link, right now I'm vertexing Wolf Link to go over Bowser's Shell Form(In addition to his regular form)

DarkWolf4564
    Intermediate Kitten

Dead X_X (Not for real tho)

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 03:09:47 PM »

Maybe put a year # as well, just in case people get confused when the last update came out. Or do it when the next update comes... Anyways how's the progress? I really need to how to do this
    "2. Importing the Bones of the Other Skeletons to Blender" part.  Kirby Dance

V Ignore V
    I can try to do it myself, but if I can't figure it out in a few weeks, I'll have to wait.
    « Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 03:15:24 PM by DarkWolf4564 » Logged

Kirby Dance Just a gamer that wants to make stuff.

windhunter7
    BrawlVault Gatekeeper
    Angel Kitten

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 03:23:19 PM »

I like that suggestion; I'ma add it.

How's the progress currently? I'm extremely backed up with texture and model requests right now, so I'm putting Project Wolf Link and this tutorial on hold for now, and then I can continue.

As for the "Importing the Bones of the Other Skeletons to Blender" part, I'm actually just going to scratch that and completely remake the tutorial to only say how to do the regular character model with expressions, etc., because for the animation effects that are also MDL0 files, which is what that part is, it's literally the exact same process; the only difference is that no expressions or anything, so it's much simpler, and a different location for the MDL0s. So, instead of the regular FitCharacterName00.pac(Though some of the other MDL0s are in there), most, if not all, of the other MDL0s reside in the FitCharacterName.pac and the FitCharacterNameMotionEtc.pac

Hope this info helps. Lemme know when you're at the next step and are stuck.

DarkWolf4564
    Intermediate Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 06:01:34 PM »

Ah! Now I get what you're saying... (Had to read it numerous times) All I need to do now is try to open the eye lid on my character. (not official, just for testing. It's over peach btw...) Now I'm telling you why I need to open the eyelids. It's a(n) animatronic character and the eyelids are half closed. ._.
    I need to give it little more... "life" before testing it. I don't know why I need to do it, when it's just for testing. But my OCD won't let it just be for testing, it's got to be a character. T_T  Kirby Dance

KendallJT
    Expert Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 12:32:07 AM »

Really wish there was a plug in for this. A plug for blender to brawlbox would be more convenient =w=

windhunter7
    BrawlVault Gatekeeper
    Angel Kitten

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 03:20:08 PM »

I might eventually make a program that will auto-do it as a separate program or something, but that is more or less at the end of my very very long list of agendas that I have planned.

DarkWolf4564
    Intermediate Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 01:24:01 AM »

Edit: Removed Message, & added This "Edit." T_T
    Edit #2: I'm still here, waiting...  Kirby Dance
    « Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 04:08:02 AM by DarkWolf4564 » Logged

windhunter7
    BrawlVault Gatekeeper
    Angel Kitten

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 05:21:33 AM »

So I can't tell all the problems you're having from the pics, so please provide more info on the problems; but the one about putting the one armature over the other, select everything and then go to Object->Parent->Clear Parent (Keep Transform), then select everything that isn't the model or the Brawl armature and delete it.

Btw, what format was this model originally in? Because if it would've been able to be imported to BrawlBox with it's own armature, if it was a specific Autodesk format, and you can do bone edits to fix it and it's much simpler than having to rig from scratch.

Silver76
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 02:49:19 PM »

After I made to psk file, and started Blender, it wouldn't open the file up

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

windhunter7
    BrawlVault Gatekeeper
    Angel Kitten

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 02:59:03 PM »

Did you click at the top where it says "File" and click "Import"? Because you have to import it; you can't directly open it with Blender. This is the case with almost all model files in almost any 3d modeling program.

windhunter7
    BrawlVault Gatekeeper
    Angel Kitten

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2016, 07:06:50 PM »

Note: I just updated the OP to include a link to BlackJax's mini-tutorial on how to rig in BrawlBox(Which is currently needed), until I have the full working tutorial finished.

Silver76
    Advanced Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 03:15:39 PM »

oh lol

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

HEY_IT_IS_ME
    Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14 on: July 31, 2016, 10:26:00 AM »

Can't wait for this to be finished!

Pages:  [1] 2 3 4 5