Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BrawlEx Character Slots Question  (Read 1659 times)
BAPACop
Newbie Kitten

View Profile Awards
« on: August 06, 2014, 01:09:03 AM »

So I decided I wanted to try my hand at adding a whole new character using BrawlEx for the first time. Since I didn't want to risk trying to create whole new assets, I went with the Lucina mod and the extra files the modder recommended. I clone Marth with the Clone Tool and set up Lucina's cosmetic slot to be 63 since the Fighter Data Chart says 3F and up are clear.

Here's where I hit Issue #1: Adding a HUD name causes an unhandled exception in the Clone Tool.

But I ignore it and move on. I copy the module file and re-name, use the Config Utility to get Fighter3F to reference Lucina instead of Marth, and eventually I get into the game. Where it crashes because the Clone Tool saved her Battle Portrait in the wrong format. But I fix it and try again and this time it goes fine. She's called Yellow Alloy in-battle for some reason and sounds like Marth but hey, it works! So let's add some of the recolors and-

Point of Confusion #1: Cosmetic slot 63 references InfFace631.brres which already exists in the game files and apparently belongs to Yellow Alloy, despite the Alloys supposedly taking up slots 56-59.

So I decide it's probably not a good idea to be overwriting these characters and switch Lucina's cosmetic slot to 66. I go through the files using BrawlBox to change them and-

Point of Confusion #2: CSS files for large portrait and name don't follow the proper naming convention. Vanilla files are Face.0## and NmS.0## but Lucina's were saved as Face.63 and NmS.631 yet somehow still work.

After changing the cosmetic slot using Clone Tool and the relevant filenames in Brawlbox and on the SD card to reference 66 instead of 63 I go into the game and find the pictures are all still working fine except the small CSS portrait and name because apparently-

Point of Confusion #3: The small CSS portrait and name are somehow still referencing Slot 63 even though everything else is properly referencing the new Slot 66.

And also now she's Green Alloy somehow. I'm really confused. But okay, I change the files from Face.66 and NmS.661 back to their old versions and everything works again. I can put up with being misnamed in-game so let's add the recolors. I have 00-09.pac/pcs files so I go into the Config Utility and check Colors 0-9 and-

Point of Confusion #4: Wonder what ?A and ?B do because there's little to no actual documentation on this thing.

I go in-game and the recolors work! They have no pictures, but they work just fine except-

Issue #2: I checked ten color slots but only six are available in-game.

Not a big deal. I'll just pick my favorites. Let's add the recolors' images to the game-

Issue #3: Adding more than five large CSS images crashes the game when the CSS attempts to load.
Issue #4: Checking five character slots in Config Utility still has six available in-game and the sixth, blank, slot just randomly loads one of the other recolors.

So now I'm here. Because I have ten recolors, pictures for five, and six slots in-game. And can't for the life of me figure out how to change her in-battle name plate. And am very confused.

I tried to be as detailed as possible but I'm new at this and am not exactly sure what information is needed. I'm using BrawlEx Clone Engine 1.2.0.0, CSS Expansion 1.0.2.0, Config Utility 1.3, and Module Editor 3.3. I'm using Dolphin at the moment since I don't have access to a computer with an SD Card slot at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: So I'm an idiot and somehow missed the part of the tutorial that mentioned the file-size limit. I have answered all my own questions save this one...

Issue #2: I checked ten color slots but only six are available in-game.

And a new question... What do I call the tenth slot? 6610? 66A?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 06:37:05 AM by BAPACop » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: