Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Is this illegal?  (Read 20266 times)
??_?
Attention. I have your Attention.
Holy Kitten

PM me or something

• Awards KCMM Old Timer Super Saiyan Topic Sniper Favorite'd

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #30 on: July 08, 2010, 11:38:08 AM »

it would be illegal if we sold our edited material.

Buying the game to play it != buying a license to modify its content.

It's illegal, don't kid yourselves with your childish naïveté. Fortunately for us, it probably makes Nintendo more money, so they leave us alone.

Action Replay and its ilk work by modifying RAM, not by directly altering proprietary files like we do.

Vyse
    Administrator

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic PC Hardcore Gamer 128-bit Hardcore Gamer Starstormer

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #31 on: July 08, 2010, 02:20:37 PM »

Vyse think how would they make it so pokemon have 999 of every stat.

THey definitely have to modify it to make the stats 999.
    I'm guessing you don't actually know anything about how ARs work.

It's still memory modification, not changing any of the game's internal files.

ADJSonic
    Lol Kitten

you must die!

• Awards Heart Container Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #32 on: July 08, 2010, 02:43:07 PM »

Oh....

http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=12143.0

ya want extra moves on ya psa check out my tutorial.

Best used with riivolution.

NecroMasterX
    Extreme Kitten

Piracy is fun.

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #33 on: July 08, 2010, 03:05:24 PM »

Well, here's how I stand on this. It may me illegal, it may not, I don't know. But, if you think that nintendo cares, they would've followed suit, and they haven't. And they won't, nintendo  probably knows that with the whole viacom and youtube, people have most likely stopped buying there products. And, that the same would happen with nintendo. If they sued, nobody would but there games anymore. I mean, they hate it when people post ROMs of their games, yet they haven't filed suit. Why? Cause nintendo knows they would lose a lot of fans if they followed suit. So I don't think nintendo really cares about us hacking. So let's keep hacking!!!!!!!!!

ShadowSnake
    Venomous Hacker
    Heroic Kitten

Back from the dead to mod Smash-U

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Star Hacker Starstormer KCMM Veteran

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2010, 04:10:03 PM »

Well, here's how I stand on this. It may me illegal, it may not, I don't know. But, if you think that nintendo cares, they would've followed suit, and they haven't. And they won't, nintendo  probably knows that with the whole viacom and youtube, people have most likely stopped buying there products. And, that the same would happen with nintendo. If they sued, nobody would but there games anymore. I mean, they hate it when people post ROMs of their games, yet they haven't filed suit. Why? Cause nintendo knows they would lose a lot of fans if they followed suit. So I don't think nintendo really cares about us hacking. So let's keep hacking!!!!!!!!!

Exactly, i agree with NMX.

I DONT TAKE REQUESTS.

Vyse
    Administrator

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic PC Hardcore Gamer 128-bit Hardcore Gamer Starstormer

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2010, 04:37:07 PM »

Whether Nintendo cares or not has nothing to do with legality.

We decrypt and modify Nintendo's proprietary files using programs from or based on the proprietary Nintendo Revolution Software Development Kit without permission from Nintendo. What we are doing is illegal; there's no way around it.

But unless Nintendo presses charges -- and they won't do that, because they don't care -- we won't get in trouble for it.

mariokart64n
    Hacker & 2D/3D Modder
    Supreme Kitten

All Hail To The Mario Baby!

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Famous Hacker Favorite'd

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #36 on: July 08, 2010, 08:08:12 PM »

Nintendo seems to only care about pirating at this time. but who knows, if their "family"console starts getting nude hacks.. the winds may change on us.

but otherwise what we are doing is 100% ILLEGAL, ..but nintendo can't sue you all for downloading mods here.

they would only attack the forum owner to cease operation of the site. worst case scenario, they may demand the SQL database of this forum. which would hand them over our IPs and emails... but they would have to pull jack into a court battle for that.. highly unlikely..

but no where in the history of videogame modding, has any company sued individual members of a hacking or warez site.

so users on the forum are 100% safe, the staff here on the other hand are not.

Conclusion:
    Illegal: Yes
    Risk: Low

Luka Megurine by mariokart64n
    [Character-ImportModel-Zelda]

JBG
    Semi-Retired Crumudgeon
    Special Access

• Awards Starstormer Super Saiyan Topic Renowned Hacker Featured

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #37 on: July 08, 2010, 08:28:05 PM »

Nintendo seems to only care about pirating at this time. but who knows, if their "family"console starts getting nude hacks.. the winds may change on us...

Conclusion:
    Risk: Slim to none

Nude hacks: Yep I've seen tons of 'em, here and elsewhere. 

btw fixed the risk level Awesome Face

NecroMasterX
    Extreme Kitten

Piracy is fun.

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #38 on: July 08, 2010, 10:04:28 PM »

Who cares if it's illeagel, nintendo won't do anything and we know it.

Dirtboy345
    Hyper Kitten

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #39 on: July 08, 2010, 10:47:04 PM »

Nintendo seems to only care about pirating at this time. but who knows, if their "family"console starts getting nude hacks.. the winds may change on us.

but otherwise what we are doing is 100% ILLEGAL, ..but nintendo can't sue you all for downloading mods here.

they would only attack the forum owner to cease operation of the site. worst case scenario, they may demand the SQL database of this forum. which would hand them over our IPs and emails... but they would have to pull jack into a court battle for that.. highly unlikely..

but no where in the history of videogame modding, has any company sued individual members of a hacking or warez site.

Conclusion:

lol imagines us all in court being sued by nintendo, but anyway i think this is illegal but definitely not wrong they don't go after pirates why would they go after hackers just trying to make their game better

ShadowSnake
    Venomous Hacker
    Heroic Kitten

Back from the dead to mod Smash-U

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Star Hacker Starstormer KCMM Veteran

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2010, 10:55:52 PM »

Conclusion:

lol imagines us all in court being sued by nintendo, but anyway i think this is illegal but definitely not wrong they don't go after pirates why would they go after hackers just trying to make their game better

ha just imagine us all in the courts... "Jack Harvest, would you like to call someone to the stand?" "Yes, i call BeyondYou to the stand" that would one awkward day, lol.

I DONT TAKE REQUESTS.

mariokart64n
    Hacker & 2D/3D Modder
    Supreme Kitten

All Hail To The Mario Baby!

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Famous Hacker Favorite'd

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #41 on: July 10, 2010, 06:01:12 AM »

they actually have sued mod chip makers, and have gone after alot of homebrew makers. typically who have created debuggers for cheating, and playing backups.

I haven't heard of a case where nintendo has attacked a warez share site, but nintendo has taken legal action over the wii..

just saying, nobody can say what nintendo will, and won't do.

Luka Megurine by mariokart64n
    [Character-ImportModel-Zelda]

hughie
    Special Access

• Awards Renowned Hacker Hot Topic >9000 Pin Collector

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #42 on: July 10, 2010, 06:28:12 AM »

Nintendo has better things to do than sue a bunch of teens and young adults with no money.
    Think of it as that.

ADJSonic
    Lol Kitten

you must die!

• Awards Heart Container Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #43 on: July 10, 2010, 07:28:55 AM »

I'm only 11

http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=12143.0

ya want extra moves on ya psa check out my tutorial.

Best used with riivolution.

Vyse
    Administrator

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2010, 10:56:11 AM »

...You don't really think they sue to actually get money out of these people, right?

Nintendo doesn't want your money; there's no way a normal person could ever pay the amounts they ask for. They sue to make an example of you and to make you stop whatever it is you're doing.

Pages:  1 2 [3] 4
    Print
    Jump to: