Your Favourite Brawl Codeset

Started by SiLeNtDo0m, May 26, 2011, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Which is your favourite codeset?

Brawl+
Balanced Brawl
Brawl-
Project M
vBrawl (regular Brawl)
Here's my rainbow logic of thinking on this matter... lol (In order too!)

1. Brawl-: This to me is the only mod that makes the game feel new again. It has new moves, better taunts, enough hitstun to actually perform combos and to top it all off... It even managed to make characters like Bowser playable finally, which I love oh so very much!

2. vBrawl: This will always have a place in my heart. However what prevents me from playing this game anymore (without a custom codeset...) is that annoying tripping they added in. I understand the banana peels being able to trip you but the random tripping that happens while your running or trying to attack, that just ruins it for me. (However with codes the random tripping can be turned off, which at that point, makes the game playable again!)

3. Project M: While I'm surprised about the whole Melee physics being added to this one, It plays just like Melee, which to me doesn't really feel all that special... (especially with that stupidly broken Lucas move that he has in P:M. I don't think anyone in that game should have over 50% up-smashes in that game unless it's Ganondorf.)

4. Balanced Brawl: How can people call this balanced exactly??? Nevertheless, I still sorta like this one more than Brawl+ (Ganondorf's OP now for example...)

5. Brawl+: This too tried to be like Melee, but also somewhat tried to keep most of the Brawl physics. This really does just feels like a strange out of place Melee clone and as such, is my least favorite mod. Mostly due to the lack of new moves (which could of really helped this game...) and nerfing certain characters that don't need to be nerfed... (Kirby's aerial jumping is bad like in Melee again... Which wasn't a neccessary change at all...)

and there you have it... My personal preference of Brawl codesets. Brawl- FTW!

May 28, 2011, 09:38:52 PM #16 Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 06:35:49 PM by Gigan X3
Quote from: Legendary Super Mario on May 28, 2011, 09:14:15 PM5. Brawl+: This too tried to be like Melee, but also somewhat tried to keep most of the Brawl physics. This really does just feels like a strange out of place Melee clone and as such, is my least favorite mod. Mostly due to the lack of new moves (which could of really helped this game...) and nerfing certain characters that don't need to be nerfed... (Kirby's aerial jumping is bad like in Melee again... Which wasn't a neccessary change at all...)

I don't want to change your opinion or anything, I respect it but I gotta say it wasn't Brawl+'s goal to change the character's movesets or much anything, just the pace of the game, combo possibilities and balance.

NO, it is not the most balanced game there is BUT it is more balanced than normal Brawl, more characters are viable and so on.

I guess the reason there is 5 different codesets is that they're there to cater to different kinds of people, which in my opinion is great.

^ Not to mention, Brawl+ (and BBrawl) were still back when people didn't really know the full extent of how to hack everything, hence why things felt more minimalist with those two at the time.  We didn't really get animation hacking or a very verbose encyclopedia of information with data miners until PSA and OpenSA2/Tabuu came in to play.  People were more playing it by ear.

Brawl+ got a ton of unfair flack for the whole "wanting to be Melee" thing, even though they ditched that concept very early in development for more general focus on faster pacing, combos, and balance.  Balance that I hope the rest of the projects strive to keep up, because aside from a couple of characters (Ness and Marth) in their optimal build, every single character was winnable.

That's really the thing about BBrawl and Brawl+  What they simply do is try to improve Brawl in their own ways rather than reinvent it.  I'm actually not a huge fan of the whole "faster pacing" thing.  I always thought Brawl was fine.  It never felt slow to me (but at the same time, Melee never felt fast etc).  Hence the reason why I prefer BBrawl and Brawl-.  They keep that pace of vBrawl.

Also, one thing that actually bugs me about Brawl+ is the removal of hitlag.  It's rather trivial, yes, but to me attacks just felt so much more satisfying to land with the hitlag.  Something like the Knee of Justice feels stronger with the hitlag.  You almost get to enjoy the hit more.  It's a bit difficult to explain.  It's entirely a satisfaction thing.

May 29, 2011, 09:20:37 PM #19 Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 09:25:57 PM by Plak
Project M without a doubt. While Braw- is a great mod, I never got back to anything else after trying P:M. I have never played Melee, so I approached it as a completely new game design, and I think everyone should do so. And by "trying", I mean not only installing it and play a few games as if it was Brawl, but also learn the few basic skills you need to really understand the game (and which are really easy with some buffer on). Here's what I like most about it :

New pace. It's fast. Really fast. Really, really fast. Not only do you notice at first the increased gravity and movement speed, but shuffling really puts this game's speed up to another level. Even Ganon becomes faster than most Brawl characters with this (easy) technique.

Limitless liberty of movement. Everything you can imagine can be done. In ANY phase of running, you can instantly crouch-cancel into any ground move, shuffle any aerial, or wavedash backward for a quick dodge and counter-attack. Wavelanding let you move between platform in a split second. Plus, moonwalking looks cool ;)

Insane combos. Without Brawl's hitstun canceling and nearly nonpunishable air dodge, combos become possible, but they always need prediction and Di to both be landed and escaped. Nothing is more satisfying than successfully comboing into Falcon's Knee, Jigg's Rest, or Ganon's fair from stomp. Except a moonwalked Reverse Sacred Combo, obviously. To anyone not getting what level of insanity I'm talking about, see this from 1:20 (before he's just showing off and boasting, whatever) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwDHs6UXgR8

Balance. Yes, the demo only has 14 characters, but I must say they're not only perfectly balanced for 1 vs 1, but FFA is also reasonably balanced, with no OP character. Even Fox is very good against non-heavy characters and Sheik, well, gets to use her Down B. Some characters' ridiculous FFA potency really bugged me out in Brawl-, even though theyre were all balanced in 1 vs 1 (come on, Snake's tilted FSmash, Bowser's armor, Ike's counter and, well, Ganon being Ganon?). Snake might be a little underwhelming, but that's it.

QuoteOn the other hand, I really dislike how they are recloning characters to back how they were in Melee.  One of the things that Brawl undeniably succeeded in over Melee was decloning characters to make them feel different.

While I see where you're coming from, the only character that suffered recloning is Falco, and for good reasons. The announced goal is to have 40 top tier characters, and the best way to achieve this is to use Melee top tiers as references. P:M Falco's shine basically defines it, and honestly, after playing with both characters, their resemblances are only aesthetics, as they play completely differently. For exemple, Fox is all about verrtical kills and horizontal gimps, while Falco does horizontal kills and vertical spikes. Fox's shine is an amazing horizontal spike for gimping recovery and links into any ground move, while Falco's is both a shield pressurer and a lifter that link into killing aerials. Yeah, sure, they also reflect projectiles, but that's not even remotely close to their primary use.

About other clones, Dr. Mario isn't coming back (even with clone engine), so P:M Mario is a mix of both, Ganon kept all of his Brawl moves and Lucas got even further differentiation from Ness in a new Neutral B. BTW, Lucas is the only character other than Snake they might consider buffing, so it's definitely far from overpowered... Young Link was low tier so they will probably give him new toys. As for Lucario, according to the latest streams, he's now made of pure awesomeness (seriously, check it out) and has no relation whatsoever with Mewtwo, so that's not gonna be an issue when the clone engine is done.

May 30, 2011, 01:47:18 AM #20 Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 01:48:48 AM by Sliding Ghost
Brawl+ since it's the only one I've ever tried.

I don't know about Brawl- or vBrawl, but I would like to know if I will still be able to use the characters that I modded (i.e. Rayquaza), the stages that I added, and the codes?

As for Project M, I'm thinking of trying it when it has more characters (i.e. Olimar, Yoshi).

Which one's better? Brawl- or vBrawl?

Quote from: Sliding Ghost on May 30, 2011, 01:47:18 AM
Brawl+ since it's the only one I've ever tried.

I don't know about Brawl- or vBrawl, but I would like to know if I will still be able to use the characters that I modded (i.e. Rayquaza), the stages that I added, and the codes?

As for Project M, I'm thinking of trying it when it has more characters (i.e. Olimar, Yoshi).

Which one's better? Brawl- or vBrawl?

You should be able to use all that.

It all comes to taste as you can see: None of the codesets are nothing alike in terms of goals so you would have to try for yourself.

Quote from: Sliding Ghost on May 30, 2011, 01:47:18 AM
Brawl+ since it's the only one I've ever tried.

I don't know about Brawl- or vBrawl, but I would like to know if I will still be able to use the characters that I modded (i.e. Rayquaza), the stages that I added, and the codes?

As for Project M, I'm thinking of trying it when it has more characters (i.e. Olimar, Yoshi).

Which one's better? Brawl- or vBrawl?

Of course you've tried vBrawl.  EVERYONE WHO HAS EVER PLAYED BRAWL HAS USED VBRAWL.  I really highly doubt that the first thing you did as soon as you got Brawl was hack it and play Brawl+ forever XD

vBrawl = Regular Brawl.

Quote from: SiLeNtFaLc0n on May 30, 2011, 08:21:19 AM
Of course you've tried vBrawl.  EVERYONE WHO HAS EVER PLAYED BRAWL HAS USED VBRAWL.  I really highly doubt that the first thing you did as soon as you got Brawl was hack it and play Brawl+ forever XD

vBrawl = Regular Brawl.
Thanks for the correction. :)

Then I guess my question now is,

which one's better: Brawl- or Brawl+?

They do share most of the same codes, right?

Quote from: Sliding Ghost on May 31, 2011, 07:10:41 AM
Thanks for the correction. :)

Then I guess my question now is,

which one's better: Brawl- or Brawl+?

They do share most of the same codes, right?

Totally different goals as I already said, You would have to try both to make a decisions as it's more of a matter of opinion on which is best, B- is too crazy for my taste but I can have fun with it every once and then.

Quote from: Sliding Ghost on May 31, 2011, 07:10:41 AM
Thanks for the correction. :)

Then I guess my question now is,

which one's better: Brawl- or Brawl+?

They do share most of the same codes, right?

They do share a number of codes.  Coloured shields, dash dancing, running crouch cancel etc.  However, as Gigan X3 said, they have completely different directions and goals.  They're too vastly different to say which is the best.  It's all down to opinion really.

Quote from: Sliding Ghost on May 31, 2011, 07:10:41 AM
Thanks for the correction. :)

Then I guess my question now is,

which one's better: Brawl- or Brawl+?

They do share most of the same codes, right?

I think B- is better, I tried both B- and B+ and yeah B- is just better, maybe because I didn't feel any big differences between vBrawl and Brawl+...

But anywayz...
I also tried P:M and I have to say its pretty awesome, and I think its not just like melee, its better then melee, much better.
I meen, in melee, I never played with falco, in P:M I (almost)always play as falco, just because he is awesome in P:M, I don't realy know why, but he feels very different from melee and brawl..
so my favorite Brawl Codesets?

1) Brawl-
2) P:M
3) vBrawl
4) Brawl+
5) BBrawl (Havent played it :P)
supreme kitten? Yes I am. Yeah.
Brawl Fc: 0689-9748-1397

Well, my friend and I have totally mastered vBrawl and were getting bored of it, so I have been trying out P:M and B- for a while. Here are my opinions on each:

Project M:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


Brawl-
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


Holy... that was one hell of a rant. Anyway if you read at least one of those I will give you a reward.


Import Thread | Music Thread

I am trying to sell all my old pokemon and Yugioh cards; I had a hell of a collection of the latter especially. Message me if you are interested in purchasing any.

Olimar without Pikmin is changed, we're still working with Olimar WITH Pikmin, because every iteration we've had with him has had issues.

And there are multiple CSS options, which you can change in the pf\system folder (rename one of the other files to common5.pac)