Board Problems, Suggestions and Updates

Started by Miacis, September 12, 2009, 11:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Quote from: JSJ on December 11, 2011, 01:11:42 AM
I understand your whole point with wanting to own the KCMM dot org, com, and net domains... but you're not a massive corporation.
I never claimed otherwise. I mentioned corporations because I figured most people have heard the phrase "corporate image" and would thus be able to understand where I was coming from.

QuoteBut where you guys appear to stand financially, I don't think owning a couple of domain names is priority one. Investing in a better server seems like the better idea to me. More domain names may draw in more traffic, but what's the point if that will result in more Error 500s?
A server upgrade costs quite a bit more than paying for a few domains annually. The idea was to find ways to pay for that ourselves while letting donations pay for the little things.

With that said, we are developing a way besides ads to pay for the server upgrade. That should be made public very soon.

Quote from: Ms. ForӃit on December 11, 2011, 01:20:06 AM
Technically there'd be 1 button too many for the mods as they have an Admin button there.
Oh, right...

Then what about getting rid of the "Members" button too?
I really doubt people have the constant need or initiative of reading pages and pages of all the users of the forum, number of posts, the ranks, and all that.

Quote from: cx_asuka on December 11, 2011, 01:14:06 AM
They have to make more than 1 spam post in the thread for it to be worthy of being addressed?
"Messages" is plural to make it more of a general case. There are some instances of spamming (e.g. just emoticon(s)) that consist of just one post. Others, such as repeated bumping, are multiple posts.

Quote from: cx_asuka on December 11, 2011, 01:29:47 AM
Then what about getting rid of the "Members" button too?
If we need another button space, that would be the most likely candidate for replacement.

I'd say that the messages button should be one of the ones to go if ever the need comes, since we've go a link to our messages right under our name, above the unread posts link.

To be honest, when checking my messages, I never click on the tab button.

Not saying it should be removed or anything.

so do you really expect that say, for example, LST is going to buy the brawlvault.net domain and make you look bad?  I think it's a bit of a stretch.

and on the topic of buttons, some of those could be trimmed up a bit to give more room.

December 11, 2011, 02:01:03 AM #1506 Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 02:13:13 AM by Vyse
Quote from: LordNOaH on December 11, 2011, 01:59:14 AM
I think it's a bit of a stretch.
OK. Thanks for sharing.

Edit: Fortune 500 made this a stealth post. Whoops.

http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=24133

My my, look who's back.

And still stealing hacks.

Can we do something about this guy?

Before you ask, this was already mentioned in the BrawlVault thread.
[white]: SW-2632-7270-6724[/white]


Quote from: SJS on December 11, 2011, 01:11:42 AM
I understand your whole point with wanting to own the KCMM dot org, com, and net domains... but you're not a massive corporation. If KCMM was raking in huge sums of money through ads or whatever, I'd say go for it... purchase domain names to your heart's content.

But where you guys appear to stand financially, I don't think owning a couple of domain names is priority one. Investing in a better server seems like the better idea to me. More domain names may draw in more traffic, but what's the point if that will result in more Error 500s?

I agree.

Though it wasn't really a choice by the staff on the forum.


Though honestly, seeing all the hate users have made about us, I'm honestly glad we do own them. I wouldn't put buying a name similar to ours and doing stupid things in our names past some people here.

Just wanted to get my input in there.


While I'm flattered you would lump my comic in with the others as a "hate group," I assure you that I would not waste the money buying a domain name just to spite KCMM. I would put my money to much better use, such as paying my rent or buying new shocks for my car.
Look at my CSPs. While you're at it, come and help fix some broken hacks.. Don't stop! Check out LSTeam's cBliss recolor project.


Quote from: SJS on December 11, 2011, 03:43:40 AM
While I'm flattered you would lump my comic in with the others as a "hate group," I assure you that I would not waste the money buying a domain name just to spite KCMM. I would put my money to much better use, such as paying my rent or buying new shocks for my car.

and I believe you wouldn't.

Others not so much.

I I think we can stop pondering if "competition" or children would buy a domain for the sole reason of making a super smash bros Modding site look bad.

If you keep repeating that thing about children enough, eventually someone will believe it.

December 11, 2011, 10:24:01 AM #1513 Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 10:37:04 AM by Miacis Ballard
Quote from: cx_asuka on December 11, 2011, 01:14:06 AM
So... are you simply agreeing with me that the staff should state why they are locking the thread?
Yup. Although the reason for the lock seemed rather obvious to me, it's generally better to leave a bit of an explanation for people who didn't get what's going on.

Quote from: cx_asukaAnd now that you mention it and to make it clear... so people won't be considered spammers and be warned if they make 1 spam post?
They have to make more than 1 spam post in the thread for it to be worthy of being addressed?
Well, once again, it is up to the moderator's appreciation.
If a guy wrote a post with 37 smileys in a row and the rest of the text in all caps, it's as disruptive as it can get. On the other hand, something like that isn't disruptive in any way, even though it's "technically" a post with only smileys. But if it's repeated, it will become annoying (i.e disruptive)

This rule, like a lot of other ones, is up to the moderator's judgement, be it local or global.

***
About the removal of the Messages button, I'm not a big fan of the idea. I use the link in the top-right, myself, but I'm pretty sure alot of people can't find it unless they pass the cursor on it.
Considering reports and warnings send automated PMs, keeping a clear access to the messages seems like a priority to me.
The Members button could probably get the boot, but it's pretty rare to see a forum without one of those. Myself, I use the button quite frequently to find people (or distributing awards). I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one to use it, so if it really needs to get the boot, it should be replaced by at least a link somewhere in the index page.

***
One last note : I've discussed with Jack H, as promised, and the .org domains will be dropped on the next subscription, as planned.

The only ones we will renew will be kc-mm.com, kc-mm.net and brawlvault.net.
Brawlvault.com was already taken.

The global cost : $30 a year. I hope we'll be able to afford it.
Round and round the signature goes ~
~ where it stops, nobody knows.

I don't use the messages button.. When I wanna send a PM I click the lil "IM" bubble or when I get a private I just use the pop-up. else I goto the top right and click the link instead, bypassing the Button entierly.
Kit's Youtube of Combos and Randomness
Also featuring a Deviantart page full of random images I make
Official FaceBook Page to get a hold of me, catch up with what I'm doing, or just like me!