Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Current Popular Hacks: Why they should not be.  (Read 14415 times)
SiLeNtDo0m
Suffering from Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
Overlord Kitten

WHAT IN TARNATION?!

• Awards Former PMDT Featured Heart Container >9000

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 06:09:51 PM »

I do believe that the main problem though is the fact that most of the people that are involved in downloading Brawl hacks are not contributing members of this community (or other Brawl hacking communities for that matter).  Most of the users on here are Stalker Kittys.  They have no posts or hacks, they just download what comes up.  If it's of something popular, they'll download it.  

And even with all these Stalker Kittys that STILL is only a portion.  A large majority is off Youtube.  Look at stuff like mastaklo's Shadow.  That has almost 20k downloads now but very little of that comes from us, the contributing community.  It comes from the 10 year old Sonic fanboys that don't even know what a hack is.  They download the thing, and a load of them don't even know how to install it.  The vid has over 100k views and gets comments constantly.  Though I should just stop with Shadow.  I said almost everything I wanted to say in my hack review.

At the moment I'm honestly trying my best to get the word out more about Brawl hacking and that's one of the reasons I do blog features and hack reviews.

Daymn, typing on an Iphone is a pain sometimes....

LC-DDM
    Not your average sprite!
    Special Access

Voted "Best Guest for Campfires".

• Awards Heart Container Good Citizen KCMM Veteran 128-bit Pro Gamer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 06:25:36 PM »

Hey, at least you didn't do embarassing typos on that post. Good for you! Cheesy

Grammar is necessary. Butchering your language isn't. If you don't have time to correct yourself, I don't have time to read your post.
    Your compilation pack is as useless as your quest for approval, and I pity both.

Climaxing to a jump scare would be pretty great.

ForOhFor Error
    Holy Kitten

DOG is your destiny

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Pin Collector Starstormer Famous Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 06:26:14 PM »

You typed almost 3 paragraphs on an i-phone? I salute you.

Anyway, I agree. The download count sometimes differs greatly from the quality of a hack.

Ex: My Great Bay stage got a lot of DLs because it's well known. But it's one of the stages I'm least proud of. While Wily's Castle, which I worked just as hard on trying to get it nostalgic and yet offering something new, got half the downloads (and then the night version got more. Don't ask me why, maybe it's the added shadow system XP   )

FC: 2191-7379-6272

LC-DDM
    Not your average sprite!
    Special Access

Voted "Best Guest for Campfires".

• Awards Heart Container Good Citizen KCMM Veteran 128-bit Pro Gamer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 06:31:36 PM »

People who download [censored] don't care about retro stuff. >_>

Grammar is necessary. Butchering your language isn't. If you don't have time to correct yourself, I don't have time to read your post.
    Your compilation pack is as useless as your quest for approval, and I pity both.

Climaxing to a jump scare would be pretty great.

Eternal Yoshi
    Heroic Kitten

Boss? Is that you?

• Awards KCMM Old Timer Super Saiyan Topic Active Contributor Former PMDT

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 08:12:29 PM »

Ditto for my Adventure Island stage, despite it's unique layout.

Kaye Cruiser
    Waveshocker Sigma
    Holy Kitten

• Awards KCMM Old Timer Super Saiyan Topic Star Hacker >9000

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 08:15:51 PM »

The PSAs or projects I did were always things I did solely for myself, but though others might be interested in. Plus, I always put a lot of effort into something I make, including in how I present it.

Honestly though, I didn't expect Onslaught, Hyper Sonic, MAX Onslaught and Full Throttle to do as well as they did back when I first released them. Hell, I didn't think the request I did for Eldiran's Zero to use the Z-Saber instead of the arm blade would even get noticed.

Honestly I can't complain about the stuff I have not getting enough downloads. In fact before it was just the opposite. As some know, I've been working on Shadow in many ways for longer than anyone else side from Mastaklo, though I never cared for his texture and worked off of Marvin's, who made the best one back in the day. I actually helped Mastaklo with a LOT of his PSA before, but eventually lost interest in it since it wasn't going anywhere. However, everytime I did something new for Shadow to bring him closer to his true look, or a look good for Brawl's style, INSTA 500 downloads or so. A little over a third of my download count consisted of Shadow downloads before, and he was all over my vault, while other things of mine never got noticed, INCLUDING Hyper Sonic and the others.

That's why I got rid of all the Shadows, did all the last finishing touches with some help from other great people *huggles SDoom and salutes Hagure and others* and released one final Shadow pack so I'd never have to touch him again. Well, until the Wi-Fi Safe one anyways.

Now I don't really have that problem aside from being Collaborated in the new Shadow movesets, but that's different.

About the only hacks of mine I wish got a little more attention are more simple ones. My first hack, being the ONLY Sonic color pack that uses the models from his original color set instead of them all being his "00" model

http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=1888

And Captain Falco, which was an old merge and lovechild between me and Asuka (cx_asuka for those who don't know)

http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=1891

And my Sonic color pack actually got chosen to be the default one for the current version of Brawl Minus, so Captain Falco is really the one I'd like to see used more.

But yeah honestly I think people are starting to pay attention to more things. Star Knight by XDDD for example

http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=20252

When I first saw it as newly submitted, I was stunned by it. The next day, it was in the list of "Most Popular Hacks" for awhile, so it's not like there aren't people who appreciate things.

It's just that most people come here to download one specific thing they want, not some other random thing as it would be seen to them. :<

Vyse
    Administrator

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic PC Hardcore Gamer 128-bit Hardcore Gamer Starstormer

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2011, 08:29:05 PM »

I think some of you might be doing this for the wrong reasons, or at the very least you're taking the wrong approach.

Eternal Yoshi
    Heroic Kitten

Boss? Is that you?

• Awards KCMM Old Timer Super Saiyan Topic Active Contributor Former PMDT

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #22 on: July 14, 2011, 08:34:21 PM »

Personally, I'm just gonna keep doing what I do.

Can you elaborate Vyse?

??_?
    Attention. I have your Attention.
    Holy Kitten

PM me or something

• Awards KCMM Old Timer Super Saiyan Topic Sniper Favorite'd

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 09:01:01 PM »

1. Textures and PSAs often do not get as much appreciation as Stage and Vertex Hacks.
    2. Said Textures and PSAs often do not get much recognition unless they are on or of a popular character.
    I disagree with this wholeheartedly.  Back in the ASH days, or even post brawlbox/PSA and pre vertex, there were ONLY textures.  They got the most attention, and the most feedback.  Now that we have the ability to vertex, I think character expectation rose, and for fair reasons.  A quality character pretty much comes with a texture and a vertex, and maybe even a PSA too.  Which was your second point.  Making a texture, vertex, and PSA is a lot of work though, and thats why its usually not done by one person.

I also don't agree that stages get more appreciation than textures or PSAs.  The PSA board seems to be full of feedback.  I find that the less well done PSAs get less feedback.  Character work will almost always be more popular than stage work, if you don't believe me, you can look on the vault.  There are very few exceptions, most of them mewtwo2000.

Personally, I'm just gonna keep doing what I do.

Can you elaborate Vyse?
    I think he means sees that some people are trying to denounce others work.
    Supply and Demand: They don't like the supply, they demand better supply. I'll personally check anything that gets my interest, no matter what kind of hack it is.
    that isn't supply and demand, at all.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 09:03:48 PM by LordNOaH » Logged

The Main Event
    Supreme Kitten

I will go out there and give a show like no other.

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Tutorial Writer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #24 on: July 14, 2011, 09:50:35 PM »

I do believe that the main problem though is the fact that most of the people that are involved in downloading Brawl hacks are not contributing members of this community (or other Brawl hacking communities for that matter).  Most of the users on here are Stalker Kittys.  They have no posts or hacks, they just download what comes up.  If it's of something popular, they'll download it.  

And even with all these Stalker Kittys that STILL is only a portion.  A large majority is off Youtube.  Look at stuff like mastaklo's Shadow.  That has almost 20k downloads now but very little of that comes from us, the contributing community.  It comes from the 10 year old Sonic fanboys that don't even know what a hack is.  They download the thing, and a load of them don't even know how to install it.  The vid has over 100k views and gets comments constantly.  Though I should just stop with Shadow.  I said almost everything I wanted to say in my hack review.

At the moment I'm honestly trying my best to get the word out more about Brawl hacking and that's one of the reasons I do blog features and hack reviews.

Daymn, typing on an Iphone is a pain sometimes....
    First, I salute you for typing on an Iphone, that must take skill. Second, you basically said everything that I was going to say, especially about the 10 year old Sonic fanboys.

SiLeNtDo0m
    Suffering from Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
    Overlord Kitten

WHAT IN TARNATION?!

• Awards Former PMDT Featured Heart Container >9000

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 03:41:39 AM »

You know what I think we should have?  A community chosen Top 50 hacks.  By "community" I mean only people that either:

1) Have made hacks
    2) Have at least, say, 10 posts here (maybe more or less)?

This way, we can keep it fairly unbiased.  Most of the people that actually post here have concerns over quality.

Triforce Zelda (Deceased)
    Lol Kitten

6/30/10 - 8/18/11

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Starstormer Renowned Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #26 on: July 15, 2011, 04:06:41 AM »

The PSAs or projects I did were always things I did solely for myself, but though others might be interested in. Plus, I always put a lot of effort into something I make, including in how I present it.

Honestly though, I didn&#039;t expect Onslaught, Hyper Sonic, MAX Onslaught and Full Throttle to do as well as they did back when I first released them. Hell, I didn&#039;t think the request I did for Eldiran&#039;s Zero to use the Z-Saber instead of the arm blade would even get noticed.

Honestly I can&#039;t complain about the stuff I have not getting enough downloads. In fact before it was just the opposite. As some know, I&#039;ve been working on Shadow in many ways for longer than anyone else side from Mastaklo, though I never cared for his texture and worked off of Marvin&#039;s, who made the best one back in the day. I actually helped Mastaklo with a LOT of his PSA before, but eventually lost interest in it since it wasn&#039;t going anywhere. However, everytime I did something new for Shadow to bring him closer to his true look, or a look good for Brawl&#039;s style, INSTA 500 downloads or so. A little over a third of my download count consisted of Shadow downloads before, and he was all over my vault, while other things of mine never got noticed, INCLUDING Hyper Sonic and the others.

That&#039;s why I got rid of all the Shadows, did all the last finishing touches with some help from other great people *huggles SDoom and salutes Hagure and others* and released one final Shadow pack so I&#039;d never have to touch him again. Well, until the Wi-Fi Safe one anyways.

Now I don&#039;t really have that problem aside from being Collaborated in the new Shadow movesets, but that&#039;s different.

About the only hacks of mine I wish got a little more attention are more simple ones. My first hack, being the ONLY Sonic color pack that uses the models from his original color set instead of them all being his "00" model

http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=1888

And Captain Falco, which was an old merge and lovechild between me and Asuka (cx_asuka for those who don&#039;t know)

http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=1891

And my Sonic color pack actually got chosen to be the default one for the current version of Brawl Minus, so Captain Falco is really the one I&#039;d like to see used more.

But yeah honestly I think people are starting to pay attention to more things. Star Knight by XDDD for example

http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=20252

When I first saw it as newly submitted, I was stunned by it. The next day, it was in the list of "Most Popular Hacks" for awhile, so it&#039;s not like there aren&#039;t people who appreciate things.

It&#039;s just that most people come here to download one specific thing they want, not some other random thing as it would be seen to them. :<

That's how I do my PSAs, except instead of replacing everyone in Brawl, I enhance everyone's offensive powers, while still maintaining athe balanced level, not really caring what other people think about them, but just posting and contributing to the site, and I end up getting a ton a good feedback. In terms of random things, we can safely say that all the Stalker Kittys and guests are moochers Cheesy.

Ultraxwing
    Holy Kitten

Master of the Vault!

• Awards Constructive Hot Topic KCMM Veteran Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #27 on: July 15, 2011, 04:33:09 AM »

How about a voting system. like +1 or -1 to see how good a hack is, and only having 20 or more posts can allow you to do this. so this way, downloads don't matter we can look for some quality hacks. =D

Triforce Zelda (Deceased)
    Lol Kitten

6/30/10 - 8/18/11

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container Starstormer Renowned Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #28 on: July 15, 2011, 04:35:07 AM »

^ That sounds smart! I like that very much!

Ultraxwing
    Holy Kitten

Master of the Vault!

• Awards Constructive Hot Topic KCMM Veteran Heart Container

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #29 on: July 15, 2011, 04:54:44 AM »

maybe we could start a petition.

if that's possible.

Pages:  1 [2] 3 4
    Print
    Jump to: