Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What to do about the textures? Model importing.  (Read 956 times)
SuperBarrio
Expert Kitten

It's a Me, Barrio!

• Awards Boygos Certified: Pokemon Master

• View Profile Awards
    « on: December 21, 2011, 04:34:40 AM »

I’ve been creating a model in an attempt to get a completely hand made model into brawl (A test which would be followed with more interesting models) and had a question about the textures.

My intention is to have three texture maps for the character – Body, head and other bits – kept small so not to exceed any file sizes.

Now, here is my question.

Should I:

a) Lay out the UV’s in such a way that I end up with identical textures to Ganondorf in terms of amount of files and individual file shape and size.

OR

b) do it as I please, but make sure to keep the file size equal or lower to that of Ganondorf.

(Side note, its going over Ganondorf.)

For instance, if Ganondorf had 6 textures (or however many he has) that are 256 x 256, and I create only 3 that where 256 x 256 – would this be a problem for model importing?

Vertexing my way throguh Nintendo's B list - One failure at a time.

Iwvi
    Cronic Procrastinator
    Heroic Kitten

Temporarily retired

• Awards Infinite Smash Team Fiery Topic Renowned Hacker Star Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 01:01:26 AM »

No problem. Imports keep the textures you put them in Max. If I created a character and It had only one texture it would be no problem. Do it as you please. The texture size however I belive it does matter. Somewhere I read that brawl only reads properly textures that are multiples of 8. I had a texture 5x7 (it was only one color) but did not appear in game. I just changed the size to be 8x8 and It was magically fixed.

SuperBarrio
    Expert Kitten

It's a Me, Barrio!

• Awards Boygos Certified: Pokemon Master

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 10:50:06 AM »

Any and all game engines and 3D programs tend to only like 8 x 8's, so I suspected as much (256's - woo!)

Thanks for the help

Vertexing my way throguh Nintendo's B list - One failure at a time.

Pages: [1]
    Print
    Jump to: