Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Adding Wind Waker Cell-Shading to your Import.  (Read 26181 times)
Spex130
Holy Kitten

So very Spexcellent.

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Starstormer Hyperactive Contributor Renowned Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « on: January 09, 2012, 02:44:46 PM »

Adding Cell Shading

So, if you came here, you’ll wanting to be making that Wind Waker style cellshade for your import/vertex, right? Well, you came to the right place. If you can do metal, you can most certainly do this.

First off, you’ll need this: http://www.mediafire.com/?w7r0dnoo2awa4i9

It’s a texture, a shader, and a material, all from the Wind Waker Tetra trophy. We’re going to be putting this on your character.

ALSO, one last note. Don’t do this until your rig is complete. If you re-import, you’ll have to do it again.

Part 1: Prep the File

First, import the shadingB texture from the download into your file. It can go right next to all of the rest.

Then, go into your FitCharXX.pac and expand your MDL0. Then open the files Materials and Shaders. If you’re working with an official character you’re going to be editing the materials all the way up to the ones that end in _ExtMtl. Don’t mess with those that end in _ExtMtl though, because those control what the metal box calls. If you’re working with an import, you’ll simply be editing all of your materials (and there’s an awesome tutorial by EternalYoshi and Pikazz for adding metal to your character found here: http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=36191.0)

NOTE: BB Also has an Auto-Metal adding feature.

Right-click on your MDL0, and click on “Add new shader”. If you have an import, it will most likely end up as Shader1. On official .pacs, it might end up as high as (or higher than) shader7.

Right click on the shader you just made, and click replace. Find the trophy package you downloaded and select “shader0” Now that we’ve replaced that shader, that’s all we’ll be doing in the shader folder. You can close it now.

Part 2: Edit the Materials

Now go to your materials folder. Inside, there are a bunch of materials with plusses next to them. Don’t expand the materials yet. Instead, click on the first one, and to your right scroll all the way down. Under the MISC bar, you’ll find the shader that material is linked to.

Change it to the new shader you created. Do that for all the materials that don’t end in _ExtMtl. (Or, if you know what you’re doing, just do this for all the materials you want to be cellshaded.)

1: Now, go back to the first material, and expand it. Look inside at the sub-material on the first row. On the right, it should tell you what texture that material is using.

Take note of this.

2: Now click on the material (not the sub-material) and right-click and replace. Replace this file with “tetra_all” in the trophy material pack.

3: Go to the first sub-material of the material you just replaced, go to the texture reference under misc (as shown in the picture above), and select the texture that was used originally.

4: Then go to the second sub material go to the texture reference box (same spot as above) and type in “shadingB” exactly as shown. (If you’ve named the shadingB texture anything else, type that in instead.)

Edit(3-11-13): Step 5 is no longer necessary.
    5: Next, scroll down in that submaterial until you find the XF Commands.
    Change TexGenType to XF_TEXGEN_COLOR_STRGBC0
    Change SourceRow to XF_COLORS_INROW

Now, that material is done.

For the rest of the materials (all the way up to the ones that end in _ExtMtl, which we aren’t going to mess with.), do this:

1: Now, go back to the next material, and expand it. Look inside at the sub-material on the first row. On the right, it should tell you what texture that material is using.

Take note of this.

2: Now click on the material (not the sub-material) and right-click and replace. Replace this file with “tetra_all” in the trophy material pack.

3: Go to the first sub-material of the material you just replaced, go to the texture reference under misc (as shown in the picture above), and select the texture that was used originally.

4: Then go to the second sub material go to the texture reference box (same spot as above) and type in “shadingB” exactly as shown. (If you’ve named the shadingB texture anything else, type that in instead.)

Repeat until you hit _ExtMtl (Or the end.)

_________________________________________________ _______________

There. Now your model should be Epic and Cell-Shaded. You might have to edit the included gradient (shadingB) to make it look more cell-shaded, but this is the basic concept.

Lastly, you must remember that you might have to experiment with what materials become cell-shaded. It’s not always going to look pretty even if you did it right.

Hopefully it looks nice though.

Here's mine:

One final note:

If an object isn't single-bound the cell-shading will not follow the camera like metal.

It WILL, however, always react to the light correctly. It doesn't matter what way you are facing, the shadows will always be away from the light.[/s]

EDIT: If you imported everything with Forced Floats, it should work fine.

So, that should be it. Ask me questions! Also, this is my first tutorial, so tell me how I did!
    « Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 02:56:15 PM by Spex130 » Logged

Spex130
    Holy Kitten

So very Spexcellent.

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 02:51:41 PM »

I suppose I'll reserve this post. You never know. I've regretted not doing it before, so why not?

Xiggah
    Supreme Kitten

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Heart Container

• View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 07:25:47 PM »

This looks pretty straightforward. I wonder what part of the materials are responsible for these effects, but that's easy enough to find out with experimentation.

Spex130
    Holy Kitten

So very Spexcellent.

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 08:00:01 PM »

Haha! The most I can do is tell you how to set it up. How it works is beyond me.

Xiggah
    Supreme Kitten

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 02:03:27 PM »

Well, I tried it out with my model. Dunno if I did it wrong, but it works properly (following the light) until the camera moves and then the shader bugs out, depending on which stage I'm on. Probably a loose reference on my part, or maybe it's because I'm in training mode.

Spex130
    Holy Kitten

So very Spexcellent.

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 06:24:05 PM »

"Bugs out" how? It actually might be training mode, but I'm not sure.

Xiggah
    Supreme Kitten

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 04:44:05 PM »

Anyways, I'll make sure to post some picture results if I do it right: hopefully I'll get it to follow the camera.

By the way, couldn't this technique have more potential as the ability to use a separate metal texture outside of the metal box? I can imagine a nice Shadow Mario hack using that, or any other character wishing to use a texture that should follow the camera.

Spex130
    Holy Kitten

So very Spexcellent.

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 08:12:59 PM »

I think it should. Honestly, all you'd have to do is this same setup, except you'd be messing with the _ExtMtls instead of the normal materials.

Xiggah
    Supreme Kitten

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 12:04:25 AM »

Ok, I think it's time to set this up. Better yet, I might be able to do so in 3DS Max!

Spex130
    Holy Kitten

So very Spexcellent.

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 12:09:06 AM »

Hit me. I'll update the OP as necessary.

Xiggah
    Supreme Kitten

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 12:43:39 AM »

It'll have to wait until morning, sorry.

Spex130
    Holy Kitten

So very Spexcellent.

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 12:55:08 AM »

Hehe. Understandable.

ramonM64
    Supreme Kitten

moving past the feeling

• Awards Super Saiyan Topic Pin Collector Starstormer Renowned Hacker

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 01:05:04 AM »

thank you for this tutorial. its written pretty well, screens and everything. i wanna try it out on a import sometime.

this is what made yer emerl import 1434934 times kooler.. i really liked it

Xiggah
    Supreme Kitten

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 01:42:56 AM »

It looks great, but I hadn't uploaded any pictures yet. Would you like some?

Spex130
    Holy Kitten

So very Spexcellent.

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 04:21:19 PM »

It looks great, but I hadn't uploaded any pictures yet. Would you like some?

Wait, what?

Pages:  [1] 2 3 4
    Print
    Jump to: