DAE Model Importing for Dummies

Started by BlackJax96, February 24, 2012, 02:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

save, close, open again and try again, it fixes itself sometimes >.<

Quote from: FaIIenKing on April 15, 2012, 09:37:05 PM
You gotta be more specific. What kind of issues are you getting, and when are you getting it? If it's difficult to explain, use pics.


I accidentally said to lower the textures to size 128x128 earlier. It's actually 256x256. My bad, lol. So yeah, if you have a square png file that's over size 256x256 (for example 512x512), reduce it to 256x256.

These are the settings DSX8 told me he uses for ProOptimizer. It worked perfectly for me:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


Reduce it to whatever percentage you think is necessary. My Thor import had to be reduced to 50% to work (though I was told it still had too many vertices, lol). When you click the "calculate" button, that will reduce the vertices. It doesn't LOOK like it does anything, but it does. Because ProOptimzer is above the edit mesh modifier, you'll still have all the vertices if you go back to vertexing, but you'll notice less vertices when you go to the skin modifier (which should be above the ProOptimzer mod).

Post Merge: April 15, 2012, 09:44:56 PM

I believe it was in the original instructions. Simply click on that drop-down arrow on that modifier list you see in your pic, and select "skin".... or was it "edit skin"? Well, it's something like that. Check the instructions. lol


Whoa dude, that's a 9 minute video. I'm sorry to say this, but I don't think most people here have that much time to help you out. In the future, please try to make help request videos as short as possible. I'll skim through it and try to find the problem, but first you need to narrate specifically what's going on in the video and tell us what you need help with. Tell us what we're supposed to be looking for.




It is found in page 1 of this thread.

so I followed the tutorial and imported my character into brawl. but when I go to start a match my Wii beeps and freeze's. model comes up just fine in brawl box

^ You're file size is probably too big. What's the file size of yoru pac and pcs files? Check the previous pages for advice concerning reducing file size.

April 23, 2012, 03:09:09 PM #109 Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 03:33:07 PM by frogger200
my .pac is 404 kb and my .pcs 197

Post Merge: April 23, 2012, 03:33:07 PM

and my textures are all 128x128 except one that is 128 x 256

Quote from: frogger200 on April 19, 2012, 08:07:34 PM
so I followed the tutorial and imported my character into brawl. but when I go to start a match my Wii beeps and freeze's. model comes up just fine in brawl box
ur model might be corrupted then
https://privateladyescorts.com - Free Local Dating - No Selfie - Anonymous Casual Dating -   Video Chat Private Lady


Quote from: FaIIenKing on April 23, 2012, 08:46:03 PM
^ wait, why'd you quote me? lol
oops.. didnt notice i did.. i meant to quote that other guy.. xD
my bad
https://privateladyescorts.com - Free Local Dating - No Selfie - Anonymous Casual Dating -   Video Chat Private Lady

Quote from: DSX8 on April 23, 2012, 08:11:12 PM
ur model might be corrupted then

so start over and try again??? I got the the model from model resource,does it matter if I use the .obj or the .smd file???


Quote from: frogger200 on April 24, 2012, 12:22:04 PM
so start over and try again??? I got the the model from model resource,does it matter if I use the .obj or the .smd file???

That's why I recommend you test the import in brawl ASAP, so that you don't waste time on a model that may never work. You don't have to be finished rigging in order for the import to work in the game.

Quote from: FaIIenKing on April 24, 2012, 02:36:41 PM
That's why I recommend you test the import in brawl ASAP, so that you don't waste time on a model that may never work. You don't have to be finished rigging in order for the import to work in the game.

Thank so much for the advice.actually have my king mickey working in game now. just have to get him rigged good

Is this supposed to work with 3ds max 2012?
I try to import the .dae and right after I click OK on the dialogue box, 3ds max freezes.
http://i.imgur.com/eOWDK.png

Usually, you have to run 3DS Max as an administrator for it to import models.
Right click, 'Run as Administrator'.

burning questions? contact me at bjelkiers.tumblr.com

May 02, 2012, 12:55:45 AM #119 Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 02:16:02 AM by Segab
Quote from: ExorcistRain on May 02, 2012, 12:14:38 AM
Usually, you have to run 3DS Max as an administrator for it to import models.
Right click, 'Run as Administrator'.
Nope that didn't work. The default dae plugin makes it crash when I try to import, and the one given in the op just gives me an error when I launch 3dsmax.
Did 3dsmax 2012 work for anyone in the thread? Because if not I'll just download 2011.

I'm using the student version if it matters. It shouldn't though, it's practically the same.

edit
I found this
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=10775855
and downloaded the 2012 version, imported, got a huge error window but it went trough anyway.

Is this supposed to be like this? This doesn't look like Lucas's bones :|