Brawl hacking awards

Started by Deadman316316, April 13, 2012, 05:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Should there be an award ceremony?

Yes
5 (62.5%)
No
3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

There are so many great hacks/hackers on this site, and when it was down, i realized i definitely took it for granted.

I think it would be a great idea to host a Hack award ceremony every few months to honor the great hacks and hackers!

Thoughts?


it should be done more often and more promoted. I didnt even know.

There was one in 2010 and in 2011.
It hasn't happened yet this year because it's a bit to early.
I don't know that it's something to promote. We might get a bunch of non thought through votes via new comers etc. I prefer to stick to the way we hold it. The people more interconnected with said hackers and have been here longer hive better votes (most of the time)

Quote from: Vamayro on April 24, 2012, 12:33:31 AM
There was one in 2010 and in 2011.
It hasn't happened yet this year because it's a bit to early.
I don't know that it's something to promote. We might get a bunch of non thought through votes via new comers etc. I prefer to stick to the way we hold it. The people more interconnected with said hackers and have been here longer hive better votes (most of the time)
Like Vamayro said, hackers that have been around longer and know more people are more likely to win (not necessarily a bad thing), but it could turn into a popularity contest.
In all honesty, it depends on what criteria you're using to define "great hacks and hackers." In many cases, we already have stuff similar to brawl hacking awards; getting a hack on the front page, or getting a pin for 10000+ downloads or whatever.

It's not a bad idea, it's just that it needs to be distinguished from similar ideas.

Maybe I'm not understanding it correctly though. If you're just talking about having an official blog post (and not just a simple thread or pin) recognizing some of the best hacks of the past year, then I suppose that'd be fine.

Quote from: Deadman316316 on April 14, 2012, 07:54:35 PM
it should be done more often and more promoted. I didnt even know.
More often? Nah.
I think annually is the best way to go.
Doing it every few months would take away credibility from the "award ceremony".
After all, uncommon things or that happen less often tend to be better valued.


Quote from: toastoftriumph on April 24, 2012, 01:19:36 AM
Like Vamayro said, hackers that have been around longer and know more people are more likely to win (not necessarily a bad thing), but it could turn into a popularity contest.
The 2 previous ones have already been popularity contests.
People tend to vote just for the hackers they know or like, instead of taking it more objectively... but that's to be expected.