[General] Custom made models

Started by Ricky (Br3), November 15, 2012, 01:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

My only suggestions are:
-Look at how other Brawl models have their UVs laid out, particularly characters. This should give you an idea of how you can divvy up and group UVs.
-Look for your modeling program's UV optimization tool. Obviously, you can't just rely on it 100%, but it should be able to at least figure out the best way to "unwrap" the UVs to minimize pixel distortion and maximize texture resolution.
Click for my stuff:


Quote from: pikazz on April 17, 2013, 08:59:02 PM
will start on my paint roller project once again!
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

does anyone have a tip of how to do better textures and UVs? I suck at that :c
Wait. I recognize that preview. I forgot you already had this in the works when I visited your thread.

Adding onto what Peardian said, take particular note of Kirby and Metaknight's UVs, since those characters are fairly similar. You'll also note that kiby's body is not just a single sphere, but broken up at the eyes so that the eyes can not only have different materials than the body (and, hence, expressions), but can be planar mapped more easily, since spheres don't UV very easily without deforming textures. I would use that technique for the eyes and cheek blushes.

Looking at the UVs for Mario/Luigi's shoes would be a good reference as well when you get to the feet.

For texturing, you can probably cheat on the body and arms/legs by using 4x4 pixel single-color textures and let the shaders do the rest.


April 18, 2013, 07:12:27 AM #212 Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 07:19:01 PM by pikazz
Quote from: Peardian on April 17, 2013, 09:31:27 PM
My only suggestions are:
-Look at how other Brawl models have their UVs laid out, particularly characters. This should give you an idea of how you can divvy up and group UVs.
-Look for your modeling program's UV optimization tool. Obviously, you can't just rely on it 100%, but it should be able to at least figure out the best way to "unwrap" the UVs to minimize pixel distortion and maximize texture resolution.
thank you for the advice x3 yet, I am bad on texturing D:

Quote from: Kage Ryu on April 17, 2013, 11:25:26 PM
Wait. I recognize that preview. I forgot you already had this in the works when I visited your thread.

Adding onto what Peardian said, take particular note of Kirby and Metaknight's UVs, since those characters are fairly similar. You'll also note that kiby's body is not just a single sphere, but broken up at the eyes so that the eyes can not only have different materials than the body (and, hence, expressions), but can be planar mapped more easily, since spheres don't UV very easily without deforming textures. I would use that technique for the eyes and cheek blushes.

Looking at the UVs for Mario/Luigi's shoes would be a good reference as well when you get to the feet.

For texturing, you can probably cheat on the body and arms/legs by using 4x4 pixel single-color textures and let the shaders do the rest.

i know about the eyes, I did the same thing!

and I am actually planing to do the shoes by myself.

EDIT: I just made the base of the shoes from scratch!

only thing left is the wheels!
Stupid Tinypic :C

April 19, 2013, 12:45:52 AM #213 Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 01:06:28 AM by Peardian
Now here's a question: are you planning on making him close to Brawl's art style, or are you trying to make it as close to the original Kirby art style? Because if you're going for Brawl's style, I recommend looking up photos of roller skates to give you an idea of some of the details you can model out for the wheel portion. Actually, I recommend doing this either way, as it will give you a better understanding for what you're modeling, even if it's really stylized.

Edit: The same goes for caps like the one he wears.
Click for my stuff:


I do believe I haven't posted this here yet o-o
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
STREAMING MODELING STUFF
Pervys world of art
Pervys world of words
QuoteIf only hacking Brawl paid bills.
[move][/move]

Quote from: Peardian on April 19, 2013, 12:45:52 AM
Now here's a question: are you planning on making him close to Brawl's art style, or are you trying to make it as close to the original Kirby art style? Because if you're going for Brawl's style, I recommend looking up photos of roller skates to give you an idea of some of the details you can model out for the wheel portion. Actually, I recommend doing this either way, as it will give you a better understanding for what you're modeling, even if it's really stylized.

Edit: The same goes for caps like the one he wears.
thank you for the advice x3 I want it to be kirby style with cartoon and cartoon shading.
I will add some extra details for the wheels however.

I only using this pic for a reference
Stupid Tinypic :C

That pic is pretty heavily stylized and most certainly not made with the third dimension in mind. Note that the skates are even the exact same shape, duplicated, flipped, then rotated 45°.

Not a bad ref in general though, and for color, go for it, but might I suggest this ref in addition?

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

It's up to you in the end. Just throwing this one out there, since it has a bit more detail and is drawn with 3D shapes in mind. Although personally, I like the proportions of the ref you showed (with the large hands and feet).


Quote from: Kage Ryu on April 19, 2013, 06:32:29 AM
That pic is pretty heavily stylized and most certainly not made with the third dimension in mind. Note that the skates are even the exact same shape, duplicated, flipped, then rotated 45°.

Not a bad ref in general though, and for color, go for it, but might I suggest this ref in addition?

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

It's up to you in the end. Just throwing this one out there, since it has a bit more detail and is drawn with 3D shapes in mind. Although personally, I like the proportions of the ref you showed (with the large hands and feet).
I did actually use that ref you gave me to the cap cause it were difficult to the cap I used.
Stupid Tinypic :C

Geeh sorry for the late reply but it appears that Luigi himself is cause most problems to do with the Roull, I just tried another import on him and the textures came out completely destroyed... So am I going to have to make him over another character for the textures to work?
ok i shrunk it

ur probably just doing something wrong

So, if I posted what I had of a custom Majora model, would someone be able to finish it? I tried to piece her together from Brawl characters, but...well yeah it didn't work so well.

the paint roller model is done! the thing left is UV and texture but SonicBrawler wanted to do that so he will fix that

Stupid Tinypic :C

Quote from: pikazz on April 22, 2013, 08:36:50 PM
the paint roller model is done! the thing left is UV and texture but SonicBrawler wanted to do that so he will fix that



so cute ^__^

April 28, 2013, 08:46:46 PM #223 Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 08:47:37 PM by joke king

texture is 100% mine, model is made of pieces from other models

So, I realized that some people here might want this thing I made a while ago, unrelated to Brawl. I figured it could be used as a backdrop of some kind or something, I dunno.





Should I post it? Y/N
Click for my stuff: