Project Nostalgia

Started by Amarythe, August 22, 2013, 03:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

February 01, 2014, 11:21:45 PM #45 Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 12:30:15 AM by Amarythe
yusssssssssssssssssss

I'll get some in-game pics and update this sucker. you cats can expect to see that Pokemon X & Y Charizard in the Vault momentarily, as well.

Post Merge: February 02, 2014, 12:30:15 AM

...Aaaaand he's in the Vault!


Made the wings a little bluer and added a slight red tone to the underbelly. This one's done for sure.

So... what's next? Project Nostalgia is nearing its first phase of completion! Before long, every single standard costume will be replaced! So who's left? Let's see...

Wario
Fox
Snake
Luigi
Olimar
R.O.B.
Pit
Sonic
*Bulbasaur
*Jigglypuff
*Wartortle
*Donkey Kong
*Pikachu
*Marth

*Means it's already released, but is very much in need of an update.

I think for now I'm just gonna work on the OP for the rest of the night, haha. If I've got time I'll work up some CSPs, too.

Super Smash Brothers: All Stars is currently looking for new recruits!
SSB:AS is a project dedicated to filling Project M with as much canon material as possible. The aim is to cram the game with movesets, textures, stages, and easter-eggs which accurately reflect each character's abilities from their respective franchises. If you are a relatively skilled hacker with an interest in helping achieve this concept, please visit the official thread by clicking on the banner, or contact me via private message. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

We need:
Skilled animators, Advanced PSA specialists, Coders for Special Attacks, Proficient Modelers/Importers, Adept Stage Makers, Graphic Artists for Menus/Portraits, Play-Testers and Glitch-Finders!

*All applicants must come equipped with their own pair of nostalgia goggles

I hear you're looking for feedback...

Positives.
-Some of your texture work is quite decent.

Negatives.
-Some of your model work looks a bit wonky to me, but I have high quality expectations.
-Some of your textures look rather bland and dull. Your "Nostalgia Peach" is one example.
-The abuse of Rim Lighting.
I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread
[move][/move]

February 02, 2014, 12:47:39 AM #47 Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 12:48:42 AM by Scout
Quote from: HailToTheKingJigglypuff on February 02, 2014, 12:43:25 AM
-The abuse of Rim Lighting.

And thats bad why? I give him the rim light for all his characters. Don't make me loose my job please.

But he's right do, use the subtle rim light I give you, do not aim for the bright ones.

Quote from: Scout on February 02, 2014, 12:47:39 AM
And thats bad why? I give him the rim light for all his characters. Don't make me loose my job please.
Lol.

It just bugs me that just about every mod today has Rim Lighting on it. You can slap it on a mod with low quality texture work, and it will look somewhat decent.
I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread
[move][/move]

Quote from: HailToTheKingJigglypuff on February 02, 2014, 12:53:14 AM
Lol.

It just bugs me that just about every mod today has Rim Lighting on it. You can slap it on a mod with low quality texture work, and it will look somewhat decent.

Thats the point, rim light should be used to enhance an amazing work, however, the people believe the brighter the better.

Look at the rim I gave smash 3, it ain't extremely bright so its barely noticable... but it does make textures more vibrant and less brawlishly dirty... the bright ones doesn't work on anything, especially pokemon.

Well to each his/her own.
I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread
[move][/move]

February 02, 2014, 02:29:00 AM #51 Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 02:40:30 AM by Amarythe
Quote from: HailToTheKingJigglypuff on February 02, 2014, 12:43:25 AM
-Some of your model work looks a bit wonky to me, but I have high quality expectations.
Got any specifics? It's real easy to botch a vertex, so I get watcha mean. If you're referring to the material in my OP however, yeah, all that stuff is waaaaay outdated. For example:
- I'm completely redoing NES Meta Knight
- Lyndis... yeah, not even gonna bother with that one, haha
- NES Marth needs a complete makeover
- I wanna try SNES Falcon from scratch
- I'm really proud of Wolf, but he's got slight issues... his model is flippin' complicated >_>
- Samus is decent, but "wonky" in really tough to spot places... I oughtta start fresh on her.
- Falco... I just can't quite put my finger on it, but something's wrong about him.

However, I'm like... SUPER proud of my (in terms of Vertexing), Zelda II Link, GBA Falcon, Assault Wolf, OoT Zelda, and my GX Falcon. However, if you've got suggestions for them I'd be glad to hear 'em.

Quote from: HailToTheKingJigglypuff on February 02, 2014, 12:43:25 AM
-Some of your textures look rather bland and dull. Your "Nostalgia Peach" is one example.
A good chunk of my hacks were released way too early; I regret releasing a good handful of them (when I did, at any rate). I'm going to delete many of the Pokemon ones... those aren't right at all. Waaaaay too dark. The Kongs are particularly inaccurate as well... specifically Donkey. I'm actually real proud of Diddy, but both the Kongs are admittedly far from the DKCR look I was going for. Falco also has some lighting issues... Zelda II Link is too bland, and I think the colors might be off. Both Marths need a makeover (NES especially), both Dededes are too bright, GBC Mewtwo could use some adjustment on those red tones and... well, the trouble with Peach is that, I'm limited to her design. It's remarkably simplistic as is; but naturally, there's still much I could do to spruce it up, so I won't just leave it as is. She certainly does leave something to be desired.

^Despite all those disappointments, I'm overall really glad with the way many of my textures have worked out. I'm absolutely in love with my GBA/GC Falcons, and I gotta say, my Yoshi pack is actually really awesome. And I'm real proud of my Sheik and Zelda too, ha. But now I'm just rambling.

But it's important to note, my series is strictly based on callbacks to actual games, recent and classic. Meaning, if those are the colors I'm dealt, or if that's the model I'm portraying etc. etc., that's what I'm going to go with. It's going to take a lot of creativity to make this work, of course, but I think the challenge makes the reward all that much cooler, haha.

Take my GBC Mewtwo for example (which, of course, needs work). The colors are strange and silly, but to me that makes the hack awesome in a hilariously nostalgic kinda way, haha. I find myself playing it more than my other Mewtwos, even despite how "tacky" it is. This may sound really weird, but I think it's tacky in a cool way.

Quote from: HailToTheKingJigglypuff on February 02, 2014, 12:43:25 AM
-The abuse of Rim Lighting.
I think both of you are right, and wrong about this one. Lol Scout, you're not out of a job don't worry xD

The Edge I'm using is far too bright right now, yes. I gotta fix that. However, Scout, the Smash 3 rim is... barely noticable at all. I'm certainly going to tone the rim effect down, but definitely not to Smash 3 levels. Again, it makes the texture look grey. What I need is a subtle balance between the extremes we've both been using.

ALSO, what I need to do is make individualized Edge textures for each character: like you said, the Pokemon don't cope well with it... Charizard specifically, as much as I hate to say it. Each character needs JUST the right sized black-hole in the middle of the Edge, so I'm going to make some different sizes and see what works out for who.

And KJP, I get what you mean; carelessly rimming everything is a mistake, and it can "cheapen" a hack by making something mediocre look medi-okay (lol). I'm not gonna abandon rim by any means, but it's certainly time I roll with the punches.

Personally, I'm in love with rimming. Not the way I have it now, of course, but the potential it has as a design tool is incredible. Used correctly, it updates the graphics to a whole new level. But, of course, as with any shading effect, abusing it can look pretty raw. :| Perfecting the rim is a definite priority for the project now.

I've got a ton of work to do. Damn, I hate to neglect my PSAs... I have a little cult following of fans who have been waiting forever for another PSA release. xD

Super Smash Brothers: All Stars is currently looking for new recruits!
SSB:AS is a project dedicated to filling Project M with as much canon material as possible. The aim is to cram the game with movesets, textures, stages, and easter-eggs which accurately reflect each character's abilities from their respective franchises. If you are a relatively skilled hacker with an interest in helping achieve this concept, please visit the official thread by clicking on the banner, or contact me via private message. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

We need:
Skilled animators, Advanced PSA specialists, Coders for Special Attacks, Proficient Modelers/Importers, Adept Stage Makers, Graphic Artists for Menus/Portraits, Play-Testers and Glitch-Finders!

*All applicants must come equipped with their own pair of nostalgia goggles

Quote from: Amarythe on February 02, 2014, 02:29:00 AM
Got any specifics? It's real easy to botch a vertex, so I get watcha mean. If you're referring to the material in my OP however, yeah, all that stuff is waaaaay outdated.
Yes. I was referring to the stuff in your OP.

Well I'm glad you can take my critique and make your stuff better.
I don't take requests.

My PSA Thread
[move][/move]

Quote from: HailToTheKingJigglypuff on February 02, 2014, 02:40:24 AM
Yes. I was referring to the stuff in your OP.

Well I'm glad you can take my critique and make your stuff better.
Good lord, that OP's a disgrace right now, haha.

Naturally; an artist's perspective on his own work is inherently clouded by personal bias. Without feedback, it's very very hard to grow. Glad you took the time to comment on my work.

Super Smash Brothers: All Stars is currently looking for new recruits!
SSB:AS is a project dedicated to filling Project M with as much canon material as possible. The aim is to cram the game with movesets, textures, stages, and easter-eggs which accurately reflect each character's abilities from their respective franchises. If you are a relatively skilled hacker with an interest in helping achieve this concept, please visit the official thread by clicking on the banner, or contact me via private message. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

We need:
Skilled animators, Advanced PSA specialists, Coders for Special Attacks, Proficient Modelers/Importers, Adept Stage Makers, Graphic Artists for Menus/Portraits, Play-Testers and Glitch-Finders!

*All applicants must come equipped with their own pair of nostalgia goggles

Who do you plan on doing next? I had this idea for R.O.B...

February 02, 2014, 04:19:27 AM #55 Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 05:43:40 AM by Scout
Custom rim? Now that's what I'm talking about! Glad, and yes, all of us  start off somewhere and by what I've seen so far... you did step ahead.  ;)

I will give you the basic rim texture as a default, you'll apply your custom texture yourself. Alright man?

February 02, 2014, 02:09:11 PM #56 Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 04:00:12 PM by Amarythe
Quote from: Scout on February 02, 2014, 04:19:27 AM
Custom rim? Now that's what I'm talking about! I will give you the basic rim texture as a default, you'll apply your custom texture yourself. Alright man?
Yeah, sounds perfect. I'll spend the day playing with the Rim effect... it;ll be a lot of guesswork, but I know how to work this.

First I'll make six different shades of lighting, pop-em on all six of somebody's slots, and take it from there.
Then, for each individual character, I'll make six individual black-hole sizes and test them out all in one go. The most natural looking on will make the cut.

Quote from: andalsoandy on February 02, 2014, 03:11:00 AM
Who do you plan on doing next? I had this idea for R.O.B...
Thanks for the reference pic, that's exactly what I was planning for him.
...However, I'm at a . Do I make Japanese R.O.B. the first slot, or U.S.A. R.O.B.??? Something tells me to go with Japan, since, y'know, that's where Nintendo originates haha.

Post Merge: February 02, 2014, 03:58:22 PM

OLD RIM EFFECT


NEW RIM EFFECT


Thoughts? Scout, I took the Smash 3 Edge and made it only like, 15 points brighter.
MUCH more subtle, and yet the effect is still visible.

Here's the Edge in case you want it:


Oh my! I see you've got a Nostalgia banner in your sig.  :happy:

Super Smash Brothers: All Stars is currently looking for new recruits!
SSB:AS is a project dedicated to filling Project M with as much canon material as possible. The aim is to cram the game with movesets, textures, stages, and easter-eggs which accurately reflect each character's abilities from their respective franchises. If you are a relatively skilled hacker with an interest in helping achieve this concept, please visit the official thread by clicking on the banner, or contact me via private message. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

We need:
Skilled animators, Advanced PSA specialists, Coders for Special Attacks, Proficient Modelers/Importers, Adept Stage Makers, Graphic Artists for Menus/Portraits, Play-Testers and Glitch-Finders!

*All applicants must come equipped with their own pair of nostalgia goggles

February 02, 2014, 04:28:14 PM #57 Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 04:29:06 PM by Saber(Akeno)
Quote from: Amarythe on February 02, 2014, 02:09:11 PM
Yeah, sounds perfect. I'll spend the day playing with the Rim effect... it;ll be a lot of guesswork, but I know how to work this.

First I'll make six different shades of lighting, pop-em on all six of somebody's slots, and take it from there.
Then, for each individual character, I'll make six individual black-hole sizes and test them out all in one go. The most natural looking on will make the cut.
Thanks for the reference pic, that's exactly what I was planning for him.
...However, I'm at a . Do I make Japanese R.O.B. the first slot, or U.S.A. R.O.B.??? Something tells me to go with Japan, since, y'know, that's where Nintendo originates haha.

Post Merge: February 02, 2014, 03:58:22 PM

OLD RIM EFFECT


NEW RIM EFFECT


Thoughts? Scout, I took the Smash 3 Edge and made it only like, 15 points brighter.
MUCH more subtle, and yet the effect is still visible.

Here's the Edge in case you want it:


Oh my! I see you've got a Nostalgia banner in your sig.  :happy:
That Charizard! I wonder why didn't I post here sooner... You have som good stuffs here!
*subs*
Now I know what to do for decreasing the Rim Lighting I put over an import!! Thanks, Scout and Amarythe!
"Atone for my sins? I don't have any sins to atone for nor have I forced such a meaningless concept on anyone." -Archer
[spoiler]
Quote from: WarioMANX on May 02, 2014, 07:33:43 PM
Best color, most stars, and least amount of power. The good life.
Quote from: LC the Immolator on November 07, 2014, 03:57:35 PMLearning sucks, yeah, but it's from learning that you can eventually create masterpieces.

Haha, glad we could (inadvertently) help!

Just wait until that OP is updated, you haven't seen nothin' yet.

Super Smash Brothers: All Stars is currently looking for new recruits!
SSB:AS is a project dedicated to filling Project M with as much canon material as possible. The aim is to cram the game with movesets, textures, stages, and easter-eggs which accurately reflect each character's abilities from their respective franchises. If you are a relatively skilled hacker with an interest in helping achieve this concept, please visit the official thread by clicking on the banner, or contact me via private message. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

We need:
Skilled animators, Advanced PSA specialists, Coders for Special Attacks, Proficient Modelers/Importers, Adept Stage Makers, Graphic Artists for Menus/Portraits, Play-Testers and Glitch-Finders!

*All applicants must come equipped with their own pair of nostalgia goggles

February 02, 2014, 04:40:40 PM #59 Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 04:42:14 PM by Scout
Quote from: Amarythe on February 02, 2014, 02:09:11 PM

OLD RIM EFFECT


NEW RIM EFFECT


Thoughts? Scout, I took the Smash 3 Edge and made it only like, 15 points brighter.
MUCH more subtle, and yet the effect is still visible.

Here's the Edge in case you want it:


Oh my! I see you've got a Nostalgia banner in your sig.  :happy:

Now thats a nice Charizard! Good Job! And thanks for the edge!

As for the banner, its not final... there are a couple of stuff I have planned to add it.

Post Merge: February 02, 2014, 04:42:13 PM

Quote from: Scout on February 02, 2014, 04:40:40 PM
Now thats a nice Charizard! Good Job! And thanks for the edge!

As for the banner, its not final... there are a couple of stuff I have planned to add it.

I'm also  making a street fighter edge.