Home Gallery Resources The Team Rules chat Login Register
Pages:  [1] 2
Author Topic: Project M Star - Gameplay rebalance mod - Updated 20/8/2015 - PM3.6 compatible  (Read 18319 times)
DarkStar
Intermediate Kitten

View Profile Awards
« on: October 13, 2014, 02:23:22 PM »

After months of fiddling and tweaking I present you Project M Star

Download Link
Google Drive

Origin
This mod was originally intended for me and my friends to play at parties but after the first few changes and good feedback it quickly grew to a full-fledged gameplay rebalance of Project M.

Aim
The mod aims to make Project M more appealing to casual, occasional, untrained and long-time players that never got into the competitive scene while retaining all the awesome content and changes already made to Brawl by the PM dev team. This mainly translates in characters being easier to play without knowing perfecly frame data, advanced moves or long inputs. Pick a character and get in the fight, no strings attached. If you felt Project M was too advanced for your play style this mod is for you.

Global Changes

Upwards gravity reduced to 0.9
This value affects the gravity of characters when jumping and falling, but not when fastfalling. Overall, most characters will have slightly higher jumps and easier recoveries. The reason for this is to give a larger air time to "acrobatic" characters like Pikachu, Kirby, Ness, Jigglypuff and Squirtle that were severely hindered by Project M's gravity increase. Also, most characters have more mobility, being able to board farther platforms and reach farther opponents.

No ledge invincibility
To prevent most edgehogging cases, invincibility on ledges was removed completely, except for a short time during the ledge grab starting animation. With this change, an edgehogging player will most likely be hit by a recovering player, leaving the ledge free. This also makes edgeguarding much more rewarding.

No shield
When a player activates his shield, it won't become smaller over time due to just being up. Hits will still reduce the shield. The shield can still be shattered and projectiles can still be bounced off.

Friction increased by 0.02
Mostly removes the effect of sliding away (and often off of a ledge) after blocking a powerful hit. Wavedashing is hindered by a negligible amount.

Character Changes
You can find a semi-detailed character changelist in the included readme file. Listing it here would be mostly a waste of space since most characters only have some minor tweaking to them.
Some notable changes I think it's useful to mention here nevertheless:

• Captain Falcon and Ganondorf have been balanced in regard to each other. Ganondorf's air attacks have been nerfed but he still retains the most powerful moves of the two. This makes Captain Falcon a much more viable character in air than Ganondorf, if you take his speed into account.
  • Falco has been balanced in contrast to Fox in the same way. Some of his moves have been reverted to Brawl animations and buffed to fit the rest of the cast to un-do his status of clone in PM. Falco is now much more maneuverable and lethal in the air than ever before. Falco now excels where Fox fails, both in air and on the ground.
  • Wario has been reworked into a mid/mid-heavy character. His weight is now 104 (previously 80) but his air manoeuvrability has been reduced. Almost all of his moves start a little slower and have a slightly greater endlag but they often deal 1% more damage.
  • Zelda and Sheik can't transform any more, but they have two new DownB moves. Zelda's DownB is the Goddess Flight, sending her straight down or upwards in a spiral whether you use this move in the air or on the ground. Sheik's DownB is her trademark Deku Nut: a stunning flash of light that can be used both on the ground and in the air though it's not so useful on airborne opponents.
  • Zero Suit Samus has been tweaked to be a character that can stand on her two feet. Almost all of her moves have been buffed or nerfed in damage, knockback or timing. The result is a pleasing character that doesn't need hundreds of sweetspotted low-damage attacks to kill heavy hitters like Ganondorf and Bowser.

Installing
This mod only contains character moveset data and does not modify stages, music or textures in any way. For this reason, a basic Project M installation is required for this mod to work properly.
Install Project M regularly, and then simply copy the foders "codes" and "projectm" on your SD card. Overwrite when prompted. This was tested on the homebrew version of PM with a USB loader on a Pal Wii and on Dolphin Emulator.
The EXTRA folder contains files for advanced users and further customisation of the mod or to remove/add other codes to the codeset.

Hackless Version
Unfortunately, I can't test a hackless version because I lack both a NTSC Wii and copy of the game. Still, you can overwrite the "projectm" folder and use the codes in the EXTRA folder to add the mod's few codes to the hackless PM codeset. It should work without much trouble, but I have to state again that this is NOT TESTED. If users can try this or other methods of applying the mod to the hackless version I'll be sure to add it here.

Credits and Contacts
Mod made by DarkStar over the awesome work of the Project M team.
For all balance suggestions/requests PM me or post in this thread.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 10:52:31 AM by DarkStar » Logged

MarPuff432S
Intermediate Kitten

Collab On Smash Bros Melee R.Project & Smash 4 P.

View Profile WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 04:09:51 PM »

Mmmm....
Amazing!

JesucristoCROW
Mega Kitten

Are you speaking to La Bello?

• Awards Shadow the Pinhog

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 04:45:19 PM »

This is good for Casual Smash gamers, because i like to Play with the Tournament rules and my friends don't like to play like that, so this is probably a good build for Beginners and Casual Gamers

DarkStar
    Intermediate Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 04:58:35 PM »

This is good for Casual Smash gamers, because i like to Play with the Tournament rules and my friends don't like to play like that, so this is probably a good build for Beginners and Casual Gamers

Definitely. If your friends are long-time players but they only play once in a while and never got into technical stuff like L-canceling, wavedashing and the likes they'll probably find themselves at home with this mod rather than Vanilla PM.

SmashJay87
    Mega Kitten

"Brain over bronze."

• Awards Dedicated Hacker >9000 Shadow the Pinhog

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 02:33:51 PM »

Oh my. I like this! Keep it up!

Smashy smashy smashyyyyy
    SSBU(BrawlEx) Project: http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=70367.msg1293018#msg1293018

DarkStar
    Intermediate Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 04:36:28 AM »

Updated with changes to:
    - Changed UpAir timing. Easier to connect.
    - Fixed DownB not working like intended.
    - DownB loses less power over time on the ground. Tweaked damage of NeutralAir and ForwardAir
    - Tweaked damage of DownAir. Harder to start a combo with.
    - NeutralAir deals slightly more damage.
    - Increased air mobility.
    - Decreased jump height.

and big changes to:
    - Balanced damage of most attacks compared to Mario. Upward and downward attacks are stronger or faster.
    - Balanced damage of most attacks compared to Luigi. Side attacks are stronger or faster.
    - Reworked into a mid/mid-heavy character. Moves and attacks overall slower but almost all attacks deal 1% more damage and/or have better knockback.

YoeiX
    Intermediate Kitten

Project M 3.5! ^-^

View Profile WWW Awards
    « Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 06:43:53 PM »

Updated with changes to:
    - Changed UpAir timing. Easier to connect.
    - Fixed DownB not working like intended.
    - DownB loses less power over time on the ground. Tweaked damage of NeutralAir and ForwardAir
    - Tweaked damage of DownAir. Harder to start a combo with.
    - NeutralAir deals slightly more damage.
    - Increased air mobility.
    - Decreased jump height.

and big changes to:
    - Balanced damage of most attacks compared to Mario. Upward and downward attacks are stronger or faster.
    - Balanced damage of most attacks compared to Luigi. Side attacks are stronger or faster.
    - Reworked into a mid/mid-heavy character. Moves and attacks overall slower but almost all attacks deal 1% more damage and/or have better knockback.

So Cool! Smiley

SpenyEX
    Intermediate Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 04:27:17 PM »

Would It be okay if I put some of the character changes in this in a normal version of project m?

Ҩᴜᴇᴇɴ
    Supreme Kitten

I fear no Evil, for I walk the path of the Gods.

• Awards Fiery Topic Heart Container Starstormer

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 10:12:32 PM »

Can you send me the Zelda file?

I don't like Project M, but I am a Zelda player.
    And I don't wish to spend the time to download the thing, if I won't use it, you know?

I... didn't mean this to come off as rude as it dude, I apologize.

I just love how you put the Zelda here. And I like Project M's Zelda.
    I like all of Project M's characters. I just don't like the mechanics.

DarkStar
    Intermediate Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 01:01:14 PM »

Would It be okay if I put some of the character changes in this in a normal version of project m?

You'll onlyhave trouble with characters that have altered jumps.

Can you send me the Zelda file?

I don't like Project M, but I am a Zelda player.
    And I don't wish to spend the time to download the thing, if I won't use it, you know?

I... didn't mean this to come off as rude as it dude, I apologize.

I just love how you put the Zelda here. And I like Project M's Zelda.
    I like all of Project M's characters. I just don't like the mechanics.

It's not rude, but I can't be hassled to upload a single file anyway.
    Just download the whole thing and take the Zelda files out of it. It's not even 30MBs.
    You can find it under
    project m -> pf -> fighter -> zelda
    or in the EXTRA folder if you want the old Zelda with transformation.

Post Merge: November 24, 2014, 01:05:21 PM
    Project M Star was updated to PM3.5!
    Some PM3.5 changes fixed problems I had already addressed in previous PMS versions therefore, although I've actually "removed" some changes for some characters, the outcome is pretty similar (for example ZSS's tilts or Toon Link's NeutralAir).
    In addition, here are the most noticeable changes over the last PMS release.

- Added 2 weight points. Increased gravity.
    - Tweaked DownAir late hitbubble position and size.
    - Fixed DownB wrong angle and knockback.
    - ForwardAir hitbubble is smaller.
    - ForwardAir late hitbubble is smaller.
    - B Takes about 1 second less to charge.
    - Reduced jump height.
    - Restored shock effect on smash for Dr. Mario skins.
    - DownB deals only 1% on airborne opponents. Tweaked knockback.
    - Restored 5 pikmin limit.
    - Increased gravity. Improved horizontal air movement. DownAir is faster.
    - SideB reload is much faster.
    - Tweaked NeutralAir damage. Sweetspot deals less, sourspot deals more.
    (light) - Weight increased from 80 to 85.
    (heavy) - Running speed slightly increased (still slower than light Wario).
    « Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 01:05:21 PM by DarkStar » Logged

DarkStar
    Intermediate Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 12:05:50 PM »

Updated!
    In this version, most of Meta Knight's nerfs have been removed and he's been reverted to almost-PM status. Below you'll find the most noticeable differences.
    Here are the changes in this version:

- DownB deals 6% less damage but has increased knockback.
    - Reduced DownAir hitboxes.
    - BackAir's first hit is weaker, while the second it is stronger. 2% difference between the two.
    - DownTilt has a slightly larger endlag. SideTilt and ForwardTilt priority now favor the sweetspot instead of the flub.
    - ForwardSmash priority now favors sweetspot instead of flub.
    - Weight increased to 75, UpSmash knockback reduced, ForwardAir knockback increased.BackAir deals 1% less damage. Still dodges slower as in previous versions.
    - Forward Smash deals 3% less damage.
    - DownAir hitboxes centered on his feet.

Ҩᴜᴇᴇɴ
    Supreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 12:22:10 PM »

Yeah, I'm not spending an hour to download an entire pack, just to get one file, then delete it all.
    Especially when you could just open up the pack and get me the file in less than 10 minutes.

However.... maybe you can at least tell me the Project M Character Selection Screen code.
    So I can have Mewtwo and Roy, without having to worry about Project M's physics.

I looked for it, in the gct, but I can't find it, anywhere.

DarkStar
    Intermediate Kitten

View Profile Awards
    « Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 01:56:05 PM »

Yeah, I'm not spending an hour to download an entire pack, just to get one file, then delete it all.
    Especially when you could just open up the pack and get me the file in less than 10 minutes.

However.... maybe you can at least tell me the Project M Character Selection Screen code.
    So I can have Mewtwo and Roy, without having to worry about Project M's physics.

I looked for it, in the gct, but I can't find it, anywhere.
    Learn a little DIY and how google works.

If it takes yuo one hour to download 26MB your priority should be kicking your provider in the ass, not pestering me for one file that has been available since, what, november 2014?

About Mewtwo and Roy, you're still pestering the wrong person. I don't have PM's gct source and nobody outside of the backdoor team does. The clone engine is their doing and they're holding on to it. I'm angry as much as you about it but we can't do much if they're not going to share it.

Velen
    Resident Lucario
    Boss Kitten

Insert totally self gratifying [censored] here. ; )

• Awards Famous Hacker Sniper Heart Container Ceiling Cat

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 04:59:27 PM »

If it takes yuo one hour to download 26MB your priority should be kicking your provider in the ass, not pestering me for one file that has been available since, what, november 2014?

About Mewtwo and Roy, you're still pestering the wrong person. I don't have PM's gct source and nobody outside of the backdoor team does. The clone engine is their doing and they're holding on to it. I'm angry as much as you about it but we can't do much if they're not going to share it.

To be frank, it'd just be easier to give him the file than give him the runaround. Your choice though.

You could also maybe direct him on what he needs to do in regard to Googling stuff.

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6640-9302

Ҩᴜᴇᴇɴ
    Supreme Kitten

• View Profile Awards
    « Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 06:53:30 PM »

Woah, calm down, horsey.
    A simple "Sorry I don't know the code." Would of been fine.
    No need to be rude, and saying anything about pestering, when you clearly don't know what pestering is.

Pages:  [1] 2
    Print
    Jump to: