Windhunter7's Blender Importing Tutorial(Blender to Brawl)

Started by windhunter7, October 15, 2015, 09:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Hey Wind. Well, if you're reading this post, I got the model properly rigged, this time over Snake. However, it just won't appear in game! I've tried Dolphin and the actual Wii with no result. I've properly texted the rigging in Brawlbox, by the way. A little help?

https://mega.nz/#!a9d1RAQY!-paLZU11iAlIhib4Nbv2l6YHmHCFZ7a1atIv2u2gokg

September 08, 2016, 10:28:36 PM #16 Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:29:52 PM by windhunter7
So, it's not properly textured; yes, you have the material right, but you don't actually have the texture in the file; so you need to right-click the "TextureData[0]" BRES and click Import->Texture and then select the texture for the model; then you HAVE to name it "Jacksepticeye", like you did in the material, matching that case, as well. And it only displays the textures in BrawlBox if the texture, properly named, is in the same folder as the file; otherwise it'll make it appear white in BrawlBox. As for in-game, since it has no textures assigned to it yet, it copies randomized textures from its surroundings; you also should fix the rigging, since it looks really weird and creepy in-game.

I am curious, though; specific parts, especially the arms, look like good rigging, so I'm wondering: Did you rig the model in Blender, or did you rig it in BrawlBox? Because if you rigged it in Blender, could I get more info on what you did, and then we could collab on this tutorial? Because I've been trying to figure how to get it to work for like a year.

Post Merge: September 08, 2016, 10:29:52 PM

P.S. I apologize in advance if anything I said sounds mean; I just want to provide feedback of how you can improve upon it, just for the purposes of constructive criticism.

September 09, 2016, 05:15:59 AM #17 Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 09:32:33 AM by okotochiken
I used both Blender and Brawlbox to get it working. I sent an email with the steps to your Gmail account.

Also, HOW DID YOU GET IT IN GAME! No matter what I did it wouldn't show up; I kept getting default Snake...

Post Merge: September 09, 2016, 05:17:00 AM

Also, after a small amount of experimentation, Step 8 doesn't always work and the weights may need to be set manually.

Ok; I saw the email you sent me, and though steps 1-12 is what I've been attempting before, I didn't attempt the Rigging Refinement before; so when I finish my current requests, I'll get back to testing Blender importing, and check it out, and if I can get it to work 100%, I'll give you credit in my tutorial.

As for how I got it in-game, I openened Snake's .pcs file(NOT his .pac file, because his .pac file is only used in solo gameplay, whereas his .pcs file is used in multiplayer and most types of fighting; some characters require both for that, though), replaced the MDL0 with the .dae file, and placed it in Snake's folder. It still needs the texture imported into the TextureData[0], though.



Post Merge: September 09, 2016, 12:34:27 PM

Thanks a lot, though, btw! :D When I get a chance, I'm totally trying it out! :)

Yeah, I replaced the mld0 in the pcs as well (and the texture is added too), but for some reason I still end up with default Snake. Do you use Dolphin's sd.raw method, the actual wii, or an iso patcher to use mods?

I do one of two things; either I use Project M hackless(3.5) on an SD card in the Wii, and put the .pcs in fighter->snake when I get to the Project M folder; the other is that I use WiiScrubber to inject it into the Brawl ISO in Dolphin, which I have instructions to do in the spoiler below:

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Well, I tried patching the iso and my game just stopped. It didn't make the monotonous drone that I've come to associate with freezing, so I have no idea what's going on. I'll try rigging him over someone else, like Captain Falcon.

Dolphin just does that sometimes; it's Dolphin, not the mod; just restart Dolphin, and retry until it loads. I know it's Dolphin, because I've tested things both on Dolphin and on the Wii, and Dolphin is the only one that'll randomly freeze.

September 09, 2016, 09:41:54 PM #23 Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 12:15:55 AM by okotochiken
What settings do you use to import the file into Brawlbox? Also, I've emailed you my latest (and best rigged) model, so can you please see if you can get it working?

Here's a screenshot of my settings in the spoiler:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.


Ok, so here's what I found out about the most recent .dae file that you emailed me:

Rigging: Appears perfect to me, wondering how you managed that(Tested rigging via previewing animations in BrawlBox)
Does it appear? Unknown
Why is it unknown if it appears? Because this one, unlike the last one you emailed me, freezes Brawl
Textures: It still doesn't have the texture, and you may want to fix that
Bones: You were missing some Bandanna bones, but even after I added those in, it still froze, so it wasn't the rigging, and it was the model
More Info: What EXACTLY did you do differently for this one? Because I noticed that the rigging on this one was perfect, but this was the one that actually froze the game whereas the other one didn't.

With the rigging, I used 3DS Max for this one to see if it was Blender's fault it wouldn't appear ingame. The only things I did to the model itself was resize & rotate it. I can give you the source link to the place where I downloaded it if you want to have a look.

http://3delicious.net/index.php?a=detail&id=67324

Just click the picture to download. I'll fiddle with my 3DS Max export settings to see if I can get it working, but I'm pretty sure it's set to the correct ones needed to export for Brawlbox...

No, it wasn't Blender's fault at all; as I said before, it appeared in-game for me; 3DS Max, for some reason, however, ended up making the import freeze the game.

Well I'll just keep fiddling. Thanks for the help!

Likewise, and thank you for your help, too! :D

Important Notice to All Blender Importers:

Ok, so for those of you who are subscribed to my tutorial thread, just letting you guys know that I (more or less) solved the whole Blender importing issue. The only glitch that still occurs is just something that can be fixed in BrawlBox in a few minutes. The secret is to use Blender 2.78a, since it was difficult to get 2.70 not to freeze BrawlBox, and 2.77 had model glitches. But yeah, this new breakthrough means that you can actually rig the character in Blender, and it is also a more direct import/export process. Oh, almost forgot, you also have to skip using BRRES Viewer entirely, and just export the .dae with Brawlbox and import the .dae into Blender without using any conversions first. If someone knows enough about Blender to know how to make the bones 100% visible, instead of lines, please let me know, because I'm still a semi-novice when it comes to Blender. Also, if anyone has any ideas on how to directly fix the current and final glitch, please lemme know!

Unfortunately, though, I'm really busy this semester, so it'll be after the semester that I make the official tutorial. Hopefully December, if I have enough time.