Custom Marks? Sure!

Started by Tiberious, April 27, 2016, 12:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

This is a fairly little-appreciated facet of Brawl hacking, but it's very possible to add new marks (also called franchise icons, but they're called marks internally, so I use that term instead) into the game, even modeled ones like used on the results screen.

Now, keeping with BrawlEx's theme of 'easily-aligned slots', best practices say start with mark 24. This is because 21 to 23 are spoken for by sc_selmap.pac (I've actually got 21 assigned in one of these packs, but that's because it matches 21 in sc_selmap.pac).

Just click a mark below to download the pack that has everything you need and instructions to add them.






As you can see, the last one is actually custom, a 'generic Nintendo' mark that might fit for more traditional Miis and maybe R.O.B., being that he's actually hardware, and not from any game.

Now, because of space limitations, you may need some room made in the various info files. Don't worry. I've got you covered. Get your reduced-size info files here.

If there's any questions or issues not covered by the troubleshooter, or requests for custom marks, post up.

Implemented the Street Fighter mark and it works swell. Good work.

April 30, 2016, 12:45:16 AM #2 Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 08:09:34 PM by Tiberious
Well, since I got half of 'em, why not finish up the rest of the Smash 4 marks? Like usual, just click the image to download it:




Edit: Since there were 5 imports and an original, have an original to complement this set and make it an even dozen.

June 04, 2016, 11:34:27 PM #3 Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 03:52:17 AM by Ebola16
I support this, commenting to follow!

Post Merge: June 05, 2016, 03:52:17 AM

Also, is the process for making these simple? I may try a few.
Brawlex Advancements (Supplement to the Brawlex thread's original post)
I use RSBE Brawlex v2.0.0.0 Extended, Win 11, and 3ds Max (3ds Max Guide). Refresh to see my imports!

I've managed to get a workable 'flow' going, so I could probably write up a tutorial, but it's a bit goofy and uses Blender (as I'm more familiar with it) to create the geometry, and then 3DS Max to import the geometry and the bones you need to rig to. It also uses Photoshop (again, 'cause I have it handy) to make the texture from Blender's viewport (again, simply because I find that pretty easy to work with for doing this).

After that, it's a matter of messing with it in BrawlBox until it shows properly in there, where it'll show properly in Brawl itself.

Oh wow, sounds like that tutorial may be somewhat difficult to write then! If you did decide to make one I'd be interested in reading it but feel free to take your time with it.
Brawlex Advancements (Supplement to the Brawlex thread's original post)
I use RSBE Brawlex v2.0.0.0 Extended, Win 11, and 3ds Max (3ds Max Guide). Refresh to see my imports!

June 06, 2016, 12:37:35 AM #6 Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 02:00:33 PM by Tiberious
Well, it seems complicated, but it really isn't. I really only use 3DS Max to 'rig' to the mark skeleton and export a .dae that BrawlBox will import properly.

One thing I do do, however, is work on the new mark in its own .brres until it works, so I can export a proper .mdl0. It's a little goofy, but it works.

The idea is for me to expose my flow, even if it's inefficient, so that maybe it could be streamlined for a better tutorial.

Edit: I forgot to mention that this flow I came up with gets everything necessary for the mark, including creation of textures (in both sizes, no less), so you don't have to go back and make them later.

Post Merge: June 07, 2016, 02:00:33 PM

So, I've gotten all the images I need to make the full tutorial. The main question now, is should this go into the Tutorials forum, or in this thread?

i have a question,i did every step on your tutorial (it's great btw) and then i saw i need cosmicconfig.dat file and i dont have that file because i dont use brawlex and dont want to is there a other way to set the icon to a character?

Well, the tutorial is designed with BrawlEx in mind. Otherwise, you'll have to just replace one, and there are few marks that aren't assigned to multiple characters.

well project m gave bowser his own icon mark without brawlex (it even works in the iso version of 3.6).
how did they do it?

It was done via code, I've no idea what code though.
I still talk to myself! If anyone wants to use anything I've done, feel free to! But do tell me where you use it, I want to see the finished product!

is the code some where on reddit or on the internet? because i tried to look for it but i cant find it (i need that code so badly).
before you go write:"stop with everything and use brawlex or pmex" here is a reason why i dont use them.
the reason is that my modpack is going to be on an iso file and im using wit to make it happen,now it works really nice like almost the entire game is customized.


They added a InfResultMark21_TopN model into STGRESULT.pac, and edited Bowser's information to point to mark 21.

Essentially the exact same way as BrawlEx's fighterconfig.dat files paired with this method.

Following your step by step was the ONLY way I could get this to work.

Thank you.

As a side note-Whatever symbol was last added now shows up as the one of the symbols for the Random Slot, is there anyway to avoid that?